Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
The man was and is a fvcking cvnt. I can't stand their accent and don't care if anyone thinks it's racist of me. White trash. Plain and simple. He deserves a stilleto in the fore head. .and his wife is no better. B'astard ! And the taxi driver for letting them jump the queue!
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/8/2013 11:48:45 PM
Yes lucy did spell it correctly first. I consider the wife, if she indeed was a wife to him, to be as bad as forgive me, did she not jump the queue too? I am sick and tired of rude, selfish and ignorant behaviour.
 daver987654
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/9/2013 1:12:41 AM
It's clearly racist and I agree that the woman was just as bad. She was complicit, went to the front of the queue and didn't correct her partner.

The following is not an excuse, just an observation. This country has been facing up to and fighting racism for a lot longer than most other countries. I was brought up back way back when race was seen to be legitimately something to make jokes about. Bit by bit we've pushed that back. But other countries are way behind us. You've only got to look at the United States where there was colour segregation on buses and schools until the seventies, something we as a then more racist country than now, watched on with disbelief .

An older white bloke from South Africa will have been brought up and experienced a very different culture and if a recent immigrant may yet not have got it, probably never will.
 daver987654
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/9/2013 1:14:44 AM
Sparkly, forgot to say. That was a horrible upsetting experience for you. Most of us don't like confrontation either and probably would have done the same.
 daver987654
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:04:19 AM
I can only remember meeting one South African and he was fine. I don't like stereotypes. I've lived in Paris, the french countryside and Norway, had a house in Spain where most of the neighbours were German and I found most people in those places were absolutely fine. Of course I met a few nobs but there's a few here too.

The only place I've felt uncomfortable was in Thailand were all foreigners are regarded as sub-Thai and fair game for being ripped off.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/9/2013 10:59:00 AM
In my opini0n yon wifie is guilty by association. Maybe she thought he was right. Maybe she thought she didn't have to speak as her male companion is always right and she has no brain or feelings of her own. Whatever, she is the same as him. And of the taxi driver? Where was his sense of fair play, or do bully twats have a reputation of giving large tips?

On the thread, racist AND rude, nothing just about it...

I have been referred to as a liberal on here, so goodness only knows what someone with less liberal views than me would say!

Oh and Billy Bashers, he comment is obviously light hearted.. after all he knows how to spell otiose or what ever that big word is!
 GeordieColin
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/9/2013 12:13:03 PM
It is clearly rude,racist,ignorant and bullying to behave in such a manner. I would throw chit at their windows claiming I was only trying to bring down a Blackbird that had made off with my pie.
 monty336
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/11/2013 1:17:31 AM
just thinking what race was the taxi driver, majority at the ranks in town are of asian origin, when i was south africa a remark was said about the english so our reply was you yarpies all the same, yarpie is a white south african similar to a redneck in the states, even the security guard had a night stick and told us a kaffir headbutted it, but over there attitudes are deep set
 IonaM
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/11/2013 12:03:04 PM
Hmmmm - I would say odds are it was racism. But, as they were older it could also have been an age thing. I was raised (int he USA) to always let older people in front or give up your place for them as a sign of respect - don't know if it's the same in SA.

That said, I've only met two South Africans in my life - one was extremely smarmy and sexist and the other tried to chat me up. Dunno what that means.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/17/2013 1:36:04 PM
DT as it was you who called me 'the liberal' on another thread, then all I can say is make your mind up! Also where can I send some Janet and John books to help you to learn to read. I did not say all white, or black for that matter, South Africans are racists, but that I can't stand their accents, as you skilfully quoted, and the only person I suggested may be racist in either of my comments was me. The term White Trash, I admit was presuming the man was indeed white, but nevertheless aimed at the man spoken about by the original poster, as an individual and that mans wife. As for out of line, if the man had gone to the back of the "line" non of this would have happened.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/18/2013 10:01:49 AM
I totally agree. I realise that, whilst said in the heat of the moment, I should not have used the term "white trash", merely "trash" to describe the gentleman in question. That my comment was just as bad. Indeed DT is right that we need to rid society of these racially specific phrases. To that I agree and am genuinely sorry.

I must though, yet again, point out that I at no time have shown double standards by making sweeping generalisations about South Africans or any other group of people, and am perplexed as to why DT keeps suggesting I have. My comment was regarding one man and his female companion. The Janet and John books are ready for posting at anytime.

Also I have not called myself a Liberal of any type on POF. This was a term I was "called" by DT himself, but now I find on here a liberal is not a liberal anyway. Strange as in the post I was "accused" of being a liberal (no bleeding hearts mentioned at that time) there was an air that DT distained the liberal, yet now this new definition of a liberal, not liberal, seems quite glowing to me.... Good show.

I do think it odd also that it is "fun" to call someone anything. I did it in anger at the situation as given, at no point did I find it fun. I don't think it is right to call people anything really, although as previously stated I am guilty of that on this occasion.

I have often wondered why other forum users have been blatantly rude about DT, not just because of the disclosures about his private life but questioning his thoughts and reasoning process, but now I feel I am understanding this a little clearer now. Clearer yet still mystified. Why have my posts alone been singled out by the Trader? I recall there are comments and sweeping generalisations about south African people, white at that, in other posts on this thread yet they go unchallenged.....

In the end the rules of engagement, oops, the forums, say one should not spat with another poster so unfortunately I will have to draw the line there.

Yours the far left Nottinghamfellow x

Oh sorry, one last thing... Who killed the seagull?
 Chuzz16
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/18/2013 10:29:46 AM

And its very easy to say what you might have done with the power of hindsight, the taxi driver was also at fault for allowing that to happen. Sometimes peoples views are so in built nothing can change them, but sometimes you need to be the better person and walk away and leave them to their miserable life, because seriously anyone who could behave like that, they cant be a happy person, full of hatred for someone they dont know just because of their skin colour.

I couldn't agree more. Some people just aren't worth arguing with. Their hatred is so ingrained, it wouldn't make a jot of difference.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/18/2013 10:52:10 AM
"Like many in Britain who had lived through World War One, Chamberlain was determined to avert another war. His policy of appeasement towards Adolf Hitler culminated in the Munich Agreement in which Britain and France accepted that the Czech region of the Sudetenland should be ceded to Germany. Chamberlain left Munich believing that by appeasing Hitler he had assured 'peace for our time'. However, in March 1939 Hitler annexed the rest of the Czech lands of Bohemia and Moravia, with Slovakia becoming a puppet state of Germany. Five months later in September 1939 Hitler's forces invaded Poland. Chamberlain responded with a British declaration of war on Germany."

If left unchallenged.....
 Chuzz16
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/18/2013 11:46:23 AM

Like many in Britain who had lived through World War One, Chamberlain was determined to avert another war. His policy of appeasement towards Adolf Hitler culminated in the Munich Agreement in which Britain and France accepted that the Czech region of the Sudetenland should be ceded to Germany. Chamberlain left Munich believing that by appeasing Hitler he had assured 'peace for our time'. However, in March 1939 Hitler annexed the rest of the Czech lands of Bohemia and Moravia, with Slovakia becoming a puppet state of Germany. Five months later in September 1939 Hitler's forces invaded Poland. Chamberlain responded with a British declaration of war on Germany."

If left unchallenged

Good point Notts. Although I don't think any wars have been started because some racist pushed their way into the front of a taxi queue.
 Jo van
Msg: 39
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/18/2013 2:12:21 PM
On here a liberal is not a liberal, it's far more fun to call someone a bleeding heart liberal than a bleeding heart left winger.

Calling anyone anything, is a forum offence. Don't do it (again) would be my advice.
It also shows a very weak argument, simply resorting to 'ad hominem' attacks are are a sure sign that someone's already lost the argument.

In my book a liberal is someone who is open minded enough to accept all points of view without applying prejudice.

I strongly doubt that you've got a book, and if you have, I strongly doubt that you've read it.

A true liberal would not have double standards or make sweeping generalisations about South Africans or any other group of people.

I thought a "true liberal" would be in coalition with the tories.
Look up "No true Scotsman fallacy"
and:

A true liberal would not have double standards or make sweeping generalisations about South Africans or any other group of people.

I might be anti-immigration but you'll never see me attacking someone because of their race, ethnicity is an important part of someones identity.

You are always complaining about "immigrants" specifically, not "immigration".
They are a "group of people", and you're always making "sweeping generalisations" about them.

Also "ethnicity" is a relatively recent term. It came about (IMO) because people realised that the way a person behaves, their customs and practices etc., doesn't seem to correlate with what had previously always been referred to as "race".

It caters for such ("inconvenient") facts as the existence of "white" rastafarians, and "black" "jews" etc.
In other words, there is far too much physical variation, within "races", for their " rules" to apply.

"Ethnicity" is largely cultural, and to that extent, could be said to be a choice, although obviously the tendency will be to 'embrace' whatever is the default culture, in the place you were born in, and live.
However, as in the examples of British people converting to "Islam", race and ethnicity often don't "match".

Jews like to claim they are both a "race", and an ethnicity, some even claiming to be "secular jews", an oxymoron of the highest order IMO.

The fact that *YOU* are now using the word "ethnicity", and claiming it to be "important", shows two things IMO.
1/. I feel I'm making progress.
2/. You haven't quite got your head around the fact that "ethnicity" isn't a fact, it's just an erroneous collection of beliefs.

On Topic.
Sorry you had to go through that Sparkly.
The guy was an arsehole, (and his wife, for having such bad taste!)
Eventually, someone with impulse-control problems will overhear his bigotry, and job done.
Yes, ethnically speaking, he is a racist.

daver987654
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:20:24 AM
This isn't meant to criticise.

I try very hard not to use the word "hate". It smacks to me of an unreasoned position, just disliking because of someone's difference.

Hate leads to such things as the Holocaust and Rwanda in my mind.
 mrmajestik
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/21/2013 3:55:55 PM
From my experience - a lot of immigrants (from countries with racially enforced social strata) such as Uganda, Kenya, South Africa and even Medditeranean countries such as Malta and Gibraltar have been conditioned towards prejudices based on race or religion. My advice expect it, understand it, and don't stand for it.
This dinosaur was alluding to your colour - i.e. a 'Cape colored' person. I know, it sounds like the wardrobe issues of a superhero, but it wasn't - I'm in London, I hear and see it all day - that;s why we have such diversity here. Everyone over here has been pushed out or forced out from some where usually by the force of events (greed, land=grabbing, pillage or some other atrocity) or the end thereof. Social upheaval inflicted upon some 'ethnic other' - Tamils, Sikhs, Congolese, Bosnians, even Greek-Cypriots.

You had the misfortune to experience just a smidgeon of what these people experience in their homelands - and yes. it always hurts (just to differing degrees) and like many, you felt abused without warrant, bewildered and helpless. This is not to lessen your experience - just let it fortify you. Remember - these are just grown-up bullies with their own crosses to bear and eventually the chickens come home to roost (with a vengeance).

Meantime, just try not to dwell on it, recognise it for what it is, Arrant ignorance and smug pomposity from a man berating events no longer under his control, clinging futilely to old adages and out-moded thinking and seeking assurance of his place in a changing century - displaced and out of time. It has happened to many a master of the universe from Kipling to Thatcher and that is their personal curse. Their inability to adjust, accept, adapt and thrive.
I would just concentrate on making new connections and dismiss the fossil.
 daver987654
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/21/2013 4:34:41 PM

Everyone over here has been pushed out or forced out from some where usually by the force of events (greed, land=grabbing, pillage or some other atrocity) or the end thereof. Social upheaval inflicted upon some 'ethnic other' - Tamils, Sikhs, Congolese, Bosnians, even Greek-Cypriots.

I pretty much agree with most of your post. I don't live in London but I do know that as a born and bred white Englishman, going to London is like visiting a foreign country. The racist attitudes are ones we have been trying overcome for a long time but are thwarted by many immigrants. It's fine to talk about multi culturalism but actually in London especially the racial groups tend to live and cling together.

But the bit I have quoted above is just not true. Most immigrants ar here because they seek a better way of life. They haven't necessarily been forced from anywhere.

There are half a million French people living in London. They even have their own representative who they can vote for in French elections.

The richest people in the UK according to the Sunday Times rich list are Indian and Russian. Forced out? i think not.
 mrmajestik
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Racist or just rude?!
Posted: 4/22/2013 2:13:05 PM
india's a big place and Russia is a kleptocracy -we should swap war stories
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >