Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Good Morning" Text      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Good Morning TextPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I get these and it annoys me so whenever a guy I'm currently seeing texts me this I either drop him completely or drop him further down my list of guys.

I don't find it thoughtful for a guy to send a text he has to at least be aware may be interrupting my sleep, morning routine, etc for something meaningless to let me know he's thinking of me. I'm not seeing anything to appreciate in what is likely a self motivated act especially when it comes with the tag along that I must appreciate it or something is wrong with me. I got the whole something is wrong with me bit from when I first started getting the messages and would tell guys not to send them then they'd argue about it and send it anyway...perhaps it's just typical male behavior to explain why I should like/do/say what he wants and he does whatever he wants thinking it's deserving of appreciation.

I do not send those messages since when send messages it's to communicate and converse. If I want someone to know I was thinking of them I put it into a genuinely thoughtful act such as resolving a problem of theirs, quality time together, etc.
 shes_the_one
Msg: 70
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/11/2013 8:12:06 PM
Maleman, I've sent them :-) Usually he beats me to it though
 JGirlSD
Msg: 71
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/12/2013 7:32:56 AM
I will just say this..I would be happy if a guy would just use my phone number...LOL
 msright78
Msg: 72
Good Morning Text
Posted: 4/12/2013 2:32:43 PM
I send a good morning text without receiving first. Technically the guy I'm talking to right now usually always sends me one first as he gets up at 5am for work and i don't have to get up that early. But during some days when I do get up early, I send him one.

I think it should be equal.

Just the other day, he hadn't sent me a good morning text and it was 9 already. Like I said, he always sends it by 6am so I figured he either forgot or was sleeping. So I sent it to him and then received one from him afterwards.

he usually says good morning sunshine with a smiley face, but haven't received that this week except for just 'good morning'. I would get mad at him at times and say, if he doesn't do it properly, my entire day goes to shiet. LOL

And but this week has been shitty, as I haven't received my smiley faces or "sunshine" name. :O(
 LanaTownsend
Msg: 73
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 5:10:30 PM
It's only cute or endearing with someone you actually like. That sort of thing is reserved for couples or people who are past the "1-3" date stage. If anything, the "good morning :)" should be followed with plans for a new date. Otherwise, it's annoying.

Then again, I'm typically not a person who texts just for the sake of texting. I use it to make or confirm plans and when I was dating, I let the guys know that upfront.

With my current bf, we text inane, silly things to each other all day long but we're at a certain point where it's "our" thing.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 74
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 8:29:21 PM
It depends. If I've met the person a few times and I like him, it's great. HOwever, the guy I saw for six months sent these cute text messages just to string me along, so now I don't see them as cute anymore but just a lazy way to keep me interested. It's even worse when you start talking to someone and they can't ever manage to set up a date but text you all day like you're their GF already.

Only cute when you are already in a REAL relationship, otherwise super annoying.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 75
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 8:41:22 PM
It's called 'showing interest'.

And guess what? If it bothered a lady that I text that too, then she's not for me.

I'd be flattered if a woman text me first and would never be annoyed by it.

Now, if she expected me to respond within an hour? Houston, we have a problem.

Oh, that's right, I forgot. Dates 1-3 are just 'dating'.

Maybe put that in your profile?

I always ask if someone is text friendly because I know you ladies haven't figured it out yet, but us guys aren't good with our feelings.

We prefer to discuss our feelings during the commercials while we're watching the Klingons destroy the Federation on Star Trek:)
 LanaTownsend
Msg: 76
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 8:51:14 PM
It's only "showing interest" if there's actual follow-up after these text greetings. Like Karma said, if they're just used as bait to see if the other person will reply (i.e. leading someone on), then it's annoying. I once had a guy who'd text random, impersonal things like "hi :)", "good morning", etc. but never set up a date. I'd reply and then he wouldn't say anything until a few days later with the same "hi" or "good morning". I'd hardly consider that showing interest.

Like I said 3 posts ago, in the beginning stages, those greeting texts should be followed by trying to make plans for an actual DATE. When you're already in a relationship, the "good morning", "how's your day?", "good night :)" texts are more in the sweet territory than annoying because mutual interest has been long established.

If a person was REALLY interested, they'd do more than just text "good morning".
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 77
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:21:09 PM
If a woman was 'baiting me' with texts to see if I'd reply?

Cool! Game on!

FYI, I always text BETWEEN dates. I've already set them up.

rockin-trucker82
Msg: 78
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:53:59 PM
HINT: Most people tend to start conversations with a greeting, which is exactly what "Good Morning" is. That's just the natural flow of conversation.

Maybe us guys should all start with "So I was on the can and thought I'd see what you were doing today...."
 Strawberry_Jello
Msg: 79
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/19/2014 9:54:32 PM
I dated a man last year. We texted a lot during the day. I started it, he responded enthusiastically. We also used email and talked on the phone. After we broke up, he told me it was a bit much.
WTH, he seemed like he was enjoying it, responding all the time, playfully, sexy, joking replies. Yet after it was all over, he complains. All he had to do was respond less, with less enthusiasm. I would have gotten the hint and cut back. People need to communicate better. No, it's not strictly the man's job. But guess what? I'm way less inclined to go first now.

From reading the posts, it looks like it's strictly the guy's job to send the "good morning" text-or at least the first one. How many women send a "good morning" text to a guy without receiving one first?

As for the OP, maybe you're not a morning person? If that's it, just tell him. Otherwise, you have a problem.

I hope I can find someone who will wish me a Good Morning, or GM, or Yo, or something.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 80
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/20/2014 6:59:30 AM
I don't have any problem with the morning text.
I send them all the time.

But, I am in a relationship. So you can be cheesy, messy, funny, giddy, loving, kinky, sensuous, sexual and it's okay.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 81
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/20/2014 10:21:54 AM

I don't find it thoughtful for a guy to send a text he has to at least be aware may be interrupting my sleep, morning routine, etc for something meaningless to let me know he's thinking of me.

So let's make sure we're on the same page. So many women will find ANY excuse to just ignore texts from guys for literally the entire day, weeks, month, whatever. Because ignoring is so easy. But if it's a text in the morning saying "good morning" your entire day is ruined now? Either just ignore the text or stop being so socially inept that saying "hi" is this terrible crime
 Maleman999
Msg: 82
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/20/2014 12:27:28 PM
If somebody actually used their cell phone as a phone (what a concept), called you, said "Good Morning", and then hung up the phone, would you consider that acceptable and cute? That's the way I would feel about getting a text that said the same thing.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 83
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/20/2014 9:58:58 PM
I never find it "annoying" to have someone tell me they are thinking of me.

Feel sorry for those that do.

Same here, I am flattered. There are other things to be annoyed by.
 ramon2005
Msg: 84
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/20/2014 10:16:18 PM
I get them but it does not annoy me at all. I work at nights an sleep late so I usually see them around 1 pm. I am a heavy sleeper and I never hear the sound of the text coming, I won't even hear a phone call. HAHA
 south_city
Msg: 85
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/21/2014 7:28:24 AM
It doesn't bother me even when we had only gone on 1-3 dates. It's just 1 thought text. The OP and some others are overanalyzing and blowing this out of proportion.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 86
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/21/2014 9:21:06 AM
Count me in..... I love "Good Morning" text messages from a guy I am interested in! I love communication....call me, text me, email me, see me..... It doesn't matter if it's before the first date or after the third date, I don't get tired of these texts....

The way I see it, if a guy sends a GM text, he's thinking of me......that's all I need to know and it makes me SMILE :)

... in a relationship. So you can be cheesy, messy, funny, giddy, loving, kinky, sensuous, sexual...

^^^^ Absolutely!!! This can be so much fun! ^^^^
 Maleman999
Msg: 87
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/22/2014 6:57:57 PM
I think it's more effective saying Good Morning in person. I'm not a fan of cyber chit chat from machine to machine. If somebody had a fax machine, would send a Good Morning fax instead of talking to the person?
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/22/2014 8:48:20 PM
Damn I hate when I go into a restaurant for lunch and I see someone I know and they say good afternoon and smile at me.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 89
Good Morning Text
Posted: 6/24/2014 9:24:45 AM
That's nothing. The worst is when the hostess says "hi" and then asks how many of us there are... Just assuming that because she said hi, we want to sit down and eat at that restaurant.
 NikonGuy007
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 7/23/2014 7:23:42 PM
^^^^^
NOPE. I can top that. The absolute WORST...............is when you're just walking down the street, in a store, down a hallway, at work, etc. etc., and somebody says, "Hello" to you. Now, THAT really sucks. Do you have any idea the amount of physical and mental energy that takes out of some people? I mean, really? Having to say, "Hello" to people like 5, 10, 15 times per day! Yikes. Talk about, "draining".

And, since we live in the big, bad, world, where every 'stranger' has the potential to be all big, mean, and scary, it would be great if someone would invent..................... like a virtual 'real-world', I dunno, maybe on a kompewter or something, and then you could maybe have like some type of virtual cocoon within that alternative 'real world', where you could be spared from actually having to interact with any big, mean, scary strangers face to face, but could meet those same big, mean, scary people indirectly, in a b@$$ @ckward fashion, possibly for dating, sex, or even relationships. Ya' know, kinda' like the saying, "Add in the middleman". Make the whole meeting process more cumbersome, backward, and complicated. Then, nobody would have to actually like, ya' know, have an actual conversation, in order to meet anyone.

If only...................... I bet it'll happen in my lifetime though. That'll REALLY be great!
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 91
Good Morning Text
Posted: 7/23/2014 8:41:26 PM
"How are you?"

Response?

"If I told you, would you care?"

lmao
 love.on.steroids___
Msg: 92
Good Morning Text
Posted: 7/24/2014 4:13:43 PM
Personally I do not mind these from a guy I am dating. I think it is really cute and adorable.
 Kay9876
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Good Morning Text
Posted: 7/24/2014 5:18:11 PM
I love getting "thinking of you" texts. Whether it's "good morning" or just a smiley face, it's a nice gesture. I'm not someone who always carries my phone with me, and sometimes I don't notice a text until hours after it was sent. Maybe that makes it even more endearing. It comes on my schedule; not his.

As others have mentioned, a man who routinely texts but never invites me to go out, seems to be attempting to string me along as a potential backup date or is too shy to make anything happen.

*sigh*

The ability to make things happen is truly sexy. ...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > "Good Morning" Text