Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jlynn1955
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
It would depend on alot of things. Until this last january, I would have said no because my father was in a very good nursing home here (Alzhiemers) and I would not have even considered moving him or leaving him. Since he died, I don't know. Have not given it much thought. I have a good job here and it would be extremely hard for me in this economy and at my age to find another that paid as well. And I'm not planning to retire any time soon.

My ex, however found someone online (which is the reason he's my ex) and she lives a great distance from here. Outside of skype, etc I think they have only seen each other twice. But, they are engaged and she is going to be leaving her family and friends and everything she's ever known to move here. Yes, there is a betting pool regarding if that really happens and how long it will last. No, I did not start the pool and have not placed a bet.
 Della D
Msg: 52
Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....
Posted: 5/4/2013 1:29:31 PM
That's not a simple yes or no issue, as I would relocate only if the new location would suit me independently from the "real deal".

E.g. even for the "realest deal" I would not move back again to a cold climate, neither would I move to any Islamic nation where a woman is not allowed to even drive by herself to the supermarket, or to any nation under a dictatorship where you have to fear death penalty simply for speaking out about certain matters.

Meaning, beside the "real deal" I have to be comfy with the new location.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/7/2013 2:02:20 PM
Depends...there nothing keeping me here. I would really like to stay in the midwest though...I love the change of seasons.
 venusenvy777
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/7/2013 4:29:34 PM
I did that in the past. In the end it didnt work out...It did lead to a great adventure and a whole new chapter of my life though. I think its dependant on the individual situation. I dont think theres a standard yes/no answer on this. I tell myself I would never do it again but I know in my heart to never say never so in the end I might. I would just move a lot slower this time.
 LuvADKs
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:36:47 PM

Would you move and relocate for love and the real deal ?
I now at older ages it can be more difficult cause of being
so fixed in our lives with family, homes, jobs, and the like.
On the other hand, some of us who have retired early in
life and have no ties to their home or family can easily pick
up & go. Seem to be the problem in long distance relationships

Nope.
 artist10
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/16/2013 10:51:28 AM
There seems to be no response in regards to people helping their aged parents. So, in that regard I wouldn't move. I'd spend too much time wishing I was closer to my parents helping them, or - God forbid - something happened to one leaving the other as care-giver.
 Vannili
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 7:44:29 PM
No I would not relocate for someone. That is a risky decision,unless I want to move to a certain
place like San Francisco California,but I was told that the cost of living there is high. So I would
rather stay where I am , the cost of living is cheaper if you don't get addiction of gambling.

On the other hand ,some of us who have retired early in life and have no ties to their home
or family can easily pick up & go . Seem to be the problem on long distance relationships.

Yes, it is easy to pack and go, but you have to think also the consequences, new town, no friends
it is only one person in that place that you knew.
I would rather have a relationship with someone in my town or close to my town. Just my 2 cents
 ironwinecoffee
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/17/2013 4:42:38 PM
No. However, I did do a huge relocation when I got married and I ended up in a part of the country that does not suit me. I do not blame the ex for that, it was my choice however, I would not do it again. I am actually planning to relocate closer to family in the next year or so because I am an only child and will need to be available to help out with my mother who is fine now but might not be in a few years. Again, I am making that choice, she is not pressuring me. For a relationship however, I tried that and it did not work. However, for people who can be flexible I see no problem with it.
 cesska
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2013 10:17:02 PM
if u date someone far away you will move in together toooo soooon for convenice
i did that BIG MISTAKE
PLUS LOOK AT THE PRICE OF GAS
 GuessMeByMyOpeningLine
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/4/2013 5:44:42 PM
Honestly it really depends. What do you do, what do they do and if something happens what would you do? Here is an example. I worked in a great part of the country where I could do a job interview on a Friday afternoon, have an offer and walk in Monday and put in my two week notice.

In a tech field. That dried up over the years. Now, I could meet someone who I was certain I would be able to spend the rest of my life with, but if they were in that region, I could not, because in that region, about all I could get is way below me or nothing at all.

If you are employed in a stable job, in a company that looks at the bottom line but doesn't chop heads to meet quarterly requirements, has decent health insurance and you are over 45? DON'T MOVE.

If you are something that will always be in demand like an RN or something else than okay. However, you really need to look at things. Remember, that companies and corporations, may have an unwritten rule. Kmart (back in the day when Kresege was still the K in the mart) started to have a policy of 30/40/50 and I have run up against it.

And what is 30/40/50? Anyone with 30 or more years of experience who is over 40 and wants over 50k for a salary, do not hire. Moving for love? I have heard too many disaster stories.
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 61
Posted: 6/7/2013 1:29:17 AM
Absolutely. I'm self employed, and my dual professions are "portable." I do the majority of my consultations over the phone and Internet. And the nature of working in the animal and publishing industries is that you can find an active network anywhere. I'm good at making connections.

I moved to the town I'm in as a temporary retreat, so wouldn't miss it.

Caveat: if it was to another country, the relocation would have to involve marriage.
 Like2dance
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2013 4:10:22 PM
According to Jerry Seinfeld people must relocate to Florida upon retirement. "It's the law!"
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2013 9:58:31 PM
Not unless it was some place I wanted to live, I have been with this person for a min of a year and I had the money to do so.
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 6/16/2013 8:34:07 AM
I'm hoping to retire in '14 and I'm open to anything...

I'm not really sure what I want to do yet. The thought of not having to work anymore [unless I so desire] is both exciting and scary at the same time. I am starting to realize this is going to be a life changing event.

So, would I relocate for the "real deal"? Sure, why not? If I could find the missing puzzle piece in my life I don't see why not. If I found a locale I liked I'd do it for that reason too. I could never do this when I was younger. I guess this is one of the perks of "maturity" that I like.....
 mrsforums
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 6/18/2013 9:25:02 AM
I love where I live, and those that I love, live within an hour's drive. I'm not seeing relocation as part of my future plans.

MrsF
 curviest
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/19/2013 3:48:18 AM
Yes, I would. Have done so before and would do so again.
 beach2live
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/22/2013 5:54:16 PM
Yes! Absolutely! :)
 Magic_Fish
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/11/2013 4:51:43 AM
I relocated once for love and it’s true what they say – you don’t really know someone until you live with them. Turns out, he, in my opinion, had lots of weird personality traits.

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat, for the real deal. But there would need be lots of interaction beforehand. And then of course, he would need to be willing to relocate as well – as in every month. This month in Mexico, next one Belize, then Honduras, and so on, and so on, in our floating home, until we’ve seen the world.

I’m a few years shy of retirement and my son’s career has relocated him 1000s of miles from Ottawa, and chances are he will only return here for 3-4 year posting, sometime in the next 25 years. I have plenty of siblings to care for mom and I know that she would welcome the opportunity of visit me in whatever port we happen to be in. So yeah, for the right skipper, I would relocate.

MF
 zippytwo
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/16/2013 4:01:01 PM
Been there, did that...never again. I gave up too much for unfulfilled promises. Now, if I fell in love with someone who lived a distance away, he'd have to move to me. Everything that matters in my life is HERE where I live and I won't give it up...
 ~Arianna~
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/21/2013 1:49:15 PM
I plan on selling my house and living on the road in NA in a couple more years. If I happen to meet someone at a distance and we both feel a relationship could be feasible, then I would be able to settle for awhile in his area to see how things progress. If it works out .. great! We could still utilize my home on wheels for getaways together if it comes to making a permanent home together .. or we could both travel the continent together. If it doesn't work out .. I would continue on down the road knowing it was worth having made the attempt and move on. No risk = no rewards!
 diamondintheruff55
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2013 11:57:24 PM
I might just relocate for the right man.
 WeeDeeter
Msg: 72
Posted: 8/17/2013 10:07:45 PM
Not a chance. I was born and raised in this area. I LOVE IT here...the scenery...the lifestyle...
My loved ones are here. I travel, visit and have worked all over the province but this is home sweet home.
I won't even entertain the idea of a long distance relationship. I'd be suspicious of anyone who could easily leave his life (for me) to relocate here. It would translate as a lack of devotion to his family and friends, a potential character flaw. Why doesn't he have stronger connections? Deeper roots?
 JerseyTea
Msg: 73
Posted: 8/18/2013 12:30:46 AM
It would take a very special guy, and a lot of consideration but....it could be possible to relocate.
 Sapphireeyes100
Msg: 74
Posted: 8/18/2013 11:53:59 AM
I keep reading that it would take someone special, do you realize that implies you would get in a relationship with someone who isnt special?
 hounddoug
Msg: 75
Posted: 8/18/2013 12:58:48 PM

I keep reading that it would take someone special, do you realize that implies you would get in a relationship with someone who isnt special?

I never thought it being someone special, but someone who you make feel special; more by your actions than your words.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Relocating For The Over 45 Crowd.....