Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Top Relationship ProspectsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I've learned to ignore this feature. I do look for a laugh. My number 1 match is a guy how's looking for a "good time" and I never answered him a long time ago. Hey, this site is free; ya gotta put up with a few issues.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 19
Top Relationship Prospects
Posted: 4/15/2013 5:18:59 AM

No actually any software designer with any common sense would of made the simple edit to only include LOCAL PEOPLE on square one. We should not have to to complain. They should not not have to weigh if they should fix it. Its about designing code right the FIRST TIME and this was just common sense. I mean WTF???

Why do you think it is a simple edit?

Do you know how the data is collected with regards to the matching process?

How do you know it will have no impact to the overall data set?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about voting with paypal? I think that counts for a little more than clicking around a site or just keeping up a profile and never even visiting the site. You wrote a fair amount without seeming to check it too well.

Well for starters the site does not accept PayPal, so maybe before you start accusing people of not checking things out, you should make sure you have done the same.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/15/2013 8:07:24 AM

Because I am actually a programmer with 25 years experience with databases. The same code used to select the pics at the top of my inbox (which are all local to me btw...) could of been used in the selection process for top relationship prospects. Its not like they had to invent anything. The code already exists. It just needed to be inserted into this program. You act like this is rocket science. It should not take 5 minutes to fix this junk.

Once again you are making assumptions about how the Database is set up and have no idea what the impact would be if you attempt to filter and output that already has been filtered, which them revisits the questions as to why even take the chance of messing things up for less than .1% of the users.

You are making the claim that the output is wrong and flawed and suggesting a fix, when you have no idea what questions are being asked and how data is used to reach the conclusions given.

Which is why I would say despite your experience with programing you are making assumptions about how things work.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/15/2013 9:47:11 AM
Shouldn't they all be local if they are your TOP relationship prospects?

The women in my Top Relationship Prospects are all those I made first contact with. Some in the list have not taken the Relationship Needs or Chemistry tests. Distance does not seem to be a factor. And honestly, I don't care how POF makes that list of prospects. There are only twenty-three in my list. Twenty-three. This is Plenty Of Fish; no need to be limited to such a small group.

Those shown above the Inbox have their distance based on that set in My Matches. Sure, POF could have used distance for Top Relationship Prospects. But, distance doesn't matter to some people.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/15/2013 10:13:50 AM
OK, I’ll chime in on who/what appears on my list of Top Prospects…

Every one is from my contacts list, all 23. No. 1 on the list is a lady that I wrote to in August of last year and asked why she was using a widely available photo of a 22 year old Pop Star as her photo but lists her age as 48. She replied by blocking me and still has me blocked. Her pirated photo, by the way, was removed but she has since reposted it but not as the lead photo.

The remaining 22 include two more that blocked me after I asked them why they use pirated photos, the only two that I have blocked including one that was going stalker on me, and only three that I have had more than a few emails back and forth with. None of which lead anywhere.

So, if these are my “Top Prospects”, what is that saying? Is this a statement about me? Is it a statement about the women chosen as my Top Prospects and what I should be looking for in a partner? Or is this evidence of another feature that will prove to be flawed beyond being useful???

Also, I wonder if I show up as a top prospect on any of the three women’s lists where they have blocked me?
 import_from_UK
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/16/2013 9:33:14 AM
These 'Top Relationships Prospects" is the exact same list which was introduced a couple of months ago for women only under the header "Contacts". The Contacts link remains too for those who are female but I imagine that will disappear at some stage as it's redundant to have both.

In my old account which I'd had for a couple of years, there were 154 people on the list. Some were people I message from the forums, others were a mix of people I'd had regular or limited message exchanges with - to the extent of those who had sent a message which I hadn't replied to.

When I opened this account, I opted from the beginning to be hidden and therefore to initiate contact. There are currently five people on my list under this new account. The bottom two are people who sent me a message from the forums who I had no prior contact with. But the top three are people I have spoken with more than once. Interestingly two of them were in my top five on my old account.

What I do notice, now there are fewer to sort through, is that this list only includes people from our own countries - much like the viewed me. Hidden accounts ARE shown in here.

So essentially, this is a list of people who we have had prior contact with, who match the gender we state we are seeking, who are in the same country, and they are shown regardless of if their account is hidden or not. Looking at the top ones, this list seems to then be sorted based on the volume of messages which were exchanged.

Will be interesting to see how that changes, or if it does, over time.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 25
Posted: 4/16/2013 11:22:37 AM
Import, In my case, my Top Prospects don’t have anything to do with the number of messages between myself and them. As I stated above, my No. 1 was just a single note I sent to her and she replied by blocking me. No. 2 we had just two notes between us. Basically I said hello and she said goodbye. The person I have had the most messages back and forth with, (10 messages total), is No.7. The lady I am currently having the most correspondences with is at No. 19. And one I just started talking with is at 21. Two ladies that I actually had more than one date with in the past year don’t even show up on the list. ?????

So, at least in my case, the order is not based on the number of notes back and forth. The only commonality I see arising in this thread is that they are from your list of conversations without any sensible logic as to why they are arranged the way they are. If as the into says,
These users are sorted by the probability that you will have a LONG TERM relationship with them.

I think the
… team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science
need to redo the “list generation”. I mean, if out of the top five I have had a no response and been blocked, two other no responses, and one with thanks for the interest but I don’t think so… Pretty piss pore algorithms. And it doesn’t take a
… team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science
to figure out this is another useless as is feature. But then we should be used to that.

In my opinion.

Bobby Z man
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/16/2013 12:07:41 PM
I just did a little experiment. Possibly a risky experiment.

I use a search OTTO posted some time ago that will list users who have a listed age of 17. Another topic I know but for some reason the site will list users who are or say they are 17. They are usually high school girls that DO NOT belong here. I search it occasionally and IF any profiles come up for someone who obviously looks/sounds under 18 I report them and they are usually deleted within an hour or so. Again another subject for another thread.

Anyway, there was one person listed there today whose username basically said she was teenager and the photos of her proved she is barely that. I sent two notes (that is the risky part) telling her that she was under aged and to get off the site. Then I blocked her to delete my notes. I then reported her. Then I checked my Top Prospects and she is now No. 23 out of 25. So, the site is telling me that a 17 year old user that I have blocked is a stronger prospect for me, a 53 year old man, than two women in their late 40s that I have had a conversation with?

PROOF that this feature is useless the way it is set up!!

EDIT:
Just 15 minutes after I reported the underage profile and it has been removed. The reporting system works! The under aged profile is also off my Top Prospects list. (Shew!)
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 27
Posted: 4/16/2013 1:28:52 PM

So, the site is telling me that a 17 year old user that I have blocked is a stronger prospect for me, a 53 year old man, than two women in their late 40s that I have had a conversation with?

No the feature is telling you, based on your habits that a 17-year-old is a strong prospect.

PROOF that this feature is useless the way it is set up!!

How is that proof?

All it does is prove that there is some weighting towards the people that you search for, view and contact.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2013 3:33:52 PM
i don't think it is done off of who you search for,i have just loked at the first 100 on my list of relationship prospects,anmd 47 of them are older than the search criteria i have inputted in the search are of the site,so they are 47 people i will never look at,47 people i don't want to look at regardless of wether they want to look at my age of woman

There's a lot more too it than just your age specifications in your My Matches. Just like the Meet Me doesn't exactly "listen" to the that same number. It may go a few years below or a few years above your My Matches age specification - additionally you have nothing in your profile in the way of age restriction, so that may also affect it.

It's hard to pinpoint or "outguess "exactness of preference by simply looking at what a user enters as raw data - I have users contacting me that I would not be able to contact becasue of their age restrictions - consequently some users just follow a guideline in being contacted, but if they see something that interests them regardless of age, they will break their own rule.

Matching is NOT an exact science - there are tons of articles on the net regarding Online Date Matching and some figures thrown about say that it's a very small percentage. The one biggest thing that sites cannot pinpoint is attraction through captured raw data - their best bet is to study a user's site usage and contact patterns.

Their is no magic pill that everyone thinks exists - just use the features as another method of possibly looking at users you may not have thought of looking at - doesn't hurt to look, does it? All these algorithms won't work for everyone, think of a bell curve - lots on either side that the algorithm will misfire on.
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 29
Posted: 4/17/2013 4:32:52 AM
@ AA
I don’t mean any disrespect nor will I get into a back and forth posting argument with you. So please, allow me to restate “PROOF” as “Overwhelming circumstantial evidence”. Let me elaborate.

This new feature, Top Relationship Prospects, appears to use contact history as its sole source of potential prospects. Not users you viewed. Not on viewing habits. And not
… weighting towards the people that you search for, view and contact.
As I stated in the list of my prospects, EVERY one is from my contact list. Not every contact I have made is on the list but every person on the list is from my contacts.

Here are some observations and some comments from within this thread.
1) It is in the tabs that all others have to do with current and past contacts. The tabs Conversations, Sent Messages, and Contact History are all about current and past contacts. Logic would suggest that “Top Relationship Prospect” being the fourth tab would also be based on the same history. And yes, I am keeping in mind that logic often goes with the wind on POF.
2) In this very thread several posts have mentioned the prospects all being from their contact history and there also appears to be a common issue of it listing people who are absolutely not a match and have either blocked the poster or been blocked by the poster. Msg 6: Buterfly states…
The way I have found it to work: It is based off people you have communicated with via messages.
and in Msg 10 she states
I have a few blocked on that list…
Msg 11 animaltime lists that among his top six are a user who has blocked him, a user who never replied, and his number one was someone who stopped all conversations when he posted his picture. Msg 16 serious1y states
my top prospect is some bloke who messaged me a load of old shite that i ignored ages ago

i would of thought that someone who i have exchanged messages back and forth with would of overtaken him in the list …
In Msg 32 she also states that 47 of the top 100 people appearing in her list are men she would NEVER show an intrest in and do not fit at all with her search criteria Msg 26 OTTO states
The women in my Top Relationship Prospects are all those I made first contact with …

3) Then there is my post (Msg 27) where I detail some of my top prospect list where, again, ALL are from my contact history.

So, in my humble OPINION, these things absolutely indicate a failure in the algorithms used. I have yet to see a post that states that a user’s Top Prospect lists shows any sign of order or reason.

I would challenge the statement :

The list has been generated by our resident team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science.

While it is possible that there is a staff of high priced PhDs I don’t get a warm and fuzzy feeling about this statement.

I know it will never happen, but I would love to see an origination like PolitiFact rate the above statement. I would be curios where it would fall on the meter? True, Half True, False, or Pants on Fire?
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 30
Posted: 4/17/2013 10:34:29 AM

So, in my humble OPINION, these things absolutely indicate a failure in the algorithms used. I have yet to see a post that states that a user’s Top Prospect lists shows any sign of order or reason.

Which would represent what % of the total users on the site?

What I mean by that, is do you really think you have seen enough data to make your claim?

I would challenge the statement :

The list has been generated by our resident team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science.

What about this part of the statement:
"...Our research shows that if you are in contact with 100 different users, 50% of the time your future partner is in the top 10, and 17% of the time the top user on this list is the person you will end up dating...

Does that not set the right level of expectation?

Does that not state that 50% of the time the results will be totally meaningless?

I know it will never happen, but I would love to see an origination like PolitiFact rate the above statement. I would be curios where it would fall on the meter? True, Half True, False, or Pants on Fire?

So would other competitors of POF as they have even tried legal means to be able to prove or disprove some of the claims made, but I would guess it would be found true, based on the level and %'s stated.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honestly what do you all expect from an owner who spends 90% of his time lounging around, vacationing and having pillow fights with his girlfriend for the camera??

How are you getting a photo-shoot and the day to day workings of a CEO mixed up?

He has a piddly staff who is overworked (I would imagine) because he is a cheap b*stard.

Can you cite a source for your claim or are you just making stuff up?

Do you know any of the staff or even the owner?
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 31
Posted: 4/17/2013 12:43:13 PM
AA, Like I stated, I will not get into one of your pissin… (AGHM), I mean posting wars. You apparently thrive on repeating yourself over and over in circle arguments without introducing new information or points of view and neglect to site sources yourself.

So I will bow down to you and your statisticaly analytical awesomeness and say that ...

YOU ARE CORRECT!
I AM WRONG!
YOU WIN!
THE END!
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 32
Posted: 4/17/2013 1:33:03 PM

AA, Like I stated, I will not get into one of your pissin… (AGHM), I mean posting wars...

Then why are you responding, as if you did not want to engage in a back and forth it is best just not to engage in a back and forth as stating you are not going to engage in a back and forth is somewhat hypocritical.

...You apparently thrive on repeating yourself over and over in circle arguments without introducing new information or points of view and neglect to site sources yourself.

I address each one of the points you brought forth with a counter point.

I showed where the site qualified the claim with the 50% probability rate.

So what information requires a citation?

So I will bow down to you and your statisticaly analytical awesomeness and say that ...

YOU ARE CORRECT!
I AM WRONG!
YOU WIN!
THE END!

Congratulations on stomping your feet.

Either way, regardless what results the feature produces, if it encourages people to reach out and make contact then it will have a net positive affect on the success rate of the users measured across the whole group, so it can only be seen as a success.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe if you did some research instead of being a sycophant you'd know this too..

It seems that you do not understand the difference between a PR bit and actual information, but hey you keep being captious.
 hoopsnhikes
Msg: 33
Posted: 4/17/2013 5:06:45 PM

So essentially, this is a list of people who we have had prior contact with

It would still appear to be that way, even though the description has changed. A month or so ago, it stated:

The following is a list of users you have messaged or who have messaged you!

These users are sorted by the probability that you will have a LONG TERM relationship with them.

And now it states:

These users are sorted by the probability that you will have a LONG TERM relationship with them. The list has been generated by our resident team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science. Our research shows that if you are in contact with 100 different users, 50% of the time your future partner is in the top 10, and 17% of the time the top user on this list is the person you will end up dating.

So, it still does mention being in contact with them. The last time I checked mine, about a month ago, I seem to remember it containing everybody on my contact list. But now it stops at a seemingly random arbitrary number, which is less than the 100 stated above.

Looking at the top ones, this list seems to then be sorted based on the volume of messages which were exchanged.

I don't think so...my #1, there were a total of maybe 4 mails (2 in each direction) sent. #'s 2 - 6, was one mail total in each case. Way down on my list are people whom I exchanged several messages with.

Either way, regardless what results the feature produces, if it encourages people to reach out and make contact then it will have a net positive affect on the success rate of the users measured across the whole group, so it can only be seen as a success.

Possibly, if you don't think false positives are counterproductive, and if you completely ignore the fact that the people it is encouraging you to reach out and make contact with, are people that you have already reached out and made contact with (or them with you), and nothing has come of it.
 buterfly41978
Msg: 34
Posted: 4/17/2013 5:28:53 PM

Possibly, if you don't think false positives are counterproductive, and if you completely ignore the fact that the people it is encouraging you to reach out and make contact with, are people that you have already reached out and made contact with (or them with you), and nothing has come of it.

I agree. I guess for a free dating site, we cannot complain much. Hopefully it will evolve over time and improve some of these features.
 BigBadNIrish
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/19/2013 9:10:02 PM
I find my relationship prospects seem to all be women I've messaged at some point in time...so, some are local and some are not...I summized that this was how they did this...but, I could be wrong and most probably am.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/19/2013 1:48:11 PM

You are most likely to date...
These users are sorted by the probability that you will have a LONG TERM relationship with them. Only users nearby and who you had first contact with during the last 90 days are shown. The list has been generated by our resident team of PhDs who are experts in compatibility science. Our research shows that if you are in contact with 100 different users, 50% of the time your future partner is in the top 10, and 17% of the time the top user on this list is the person you will end up dating.

Can the "relationship scientists" at POF explain the validity of this list if it's filled with users who did not reply or vice versa?

We're all just a bit curious!

the other
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||
 Eklipps
Msg: 39
Posted: 7/7/2014 8:29:54 AM
I agree, it's a terrible feature. It's not an accurate representation of anything.

3 of the top 10 prospects have blocked me. And the girl I actually started dating isn't even in the top 125... It's useless.
 Deborah1981
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Ya gotta love some of the goofy features on this site
Posted: 10/18/2014 10:22:37 PM
They have my ex husband as my "top prospect". !?!
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >