Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > scent of an older man      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Proteaus
Msg: 51
scent of an older manPage 3 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Sent of a older woman is usually a mixture of perfume and bleach , not very complimentary . Then they also put those scent things in their dresser so their clothing just reeks of it .
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 52
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 11:52:24 AM

Sent of a older woman is usually a mixture of perfume and bleach , not very complimentary.

I find their scent works quite well with my own, specially the bleach. I’ve been on that all-bean diet again and wearing my special weight-loss pants – the mylar ones with the elastic at the waist and cuffs. I feel lighter already.
 Moonchild51
Msg: 53
view profile
History
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 12:28:24 PM

I’ve been on that all-bean diet again and wearing my special weight-loss pants – the mylar ones with the elastic at the waist and cuffs. I feel lighter already.

^^Talking about scents? An all ben diet and mylar pants? OMG! lol
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 54
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 1:09:07 PM
If they smell like $$$, I'm in!
 Moonchild51
Msg: 55
view profile
History
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 5:05:46 PM
Sheesh, correction to my post...that would be an all BEAN diet!lol..and think I would pass on a relationship with someone who ate that way! lol
 dishearteneddave
Msg: 56
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 6:12:26 PM

(Msg. #1. 12thour) So it definitely seems to be a natural change of body odor on men once they have reached a certain age.
I have never noticed this on women in, just men. So, I am wondering if anyone knows what this is, why it happens and if a man can prevent it?

Interesting thread. I recently met a young lady and one day while chatting she said, “You don’t smell like an old man.” (Out of the mouth of Babes!) LOL

She said since she had her son her sense of smell was heightened. So I asked her what that smell was like and she said it wasn’t like BO but it wasn’t a “clean” smell either. I surmise it’s due to not having showered regularly or changed their clothes.

Check out the person’s hair. It’s easy to tell the typical “sleep pattern” in the hair at the back near the top of the head. Both men and women. They try to comb it out but it’s there. Dead giveaway.
 Paderic
Msg: 57
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 6:17:59 PM

Talking about scents? An all bean diet and mylar pants?

LOL, I was thinking more like a fire hazard than an odor issue. KA-THOOOOM!!!
 csamcsog
Msg: 58
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/18/2013 11:06:35 PM
Are you familar with another chemical, Lysergic acid diethylamide. a chiral compound with two stereocenters at the carbon atoms C-5 and C-8 ?
-----------------------------

Dragonbits, you guys can laugh at me all you want, but if you did not have googelage and all the knowledge of the known universe that google can find for you, you guys woodabeen awe-inspiredly gasping.

Fact is, we all know what causes oily smell, but we are all different in our knowledge and convictions of which scientist or pseudo- to believe. This is called "cultural diversity" and we should all embrace it.

In fact, I say let's cut out the middleman, the "diversity" and let's just go ahead and embrace each other. With a little bit of rubbing of parts on the side or dead centre front row middle.

Erm.

I've had my fun. You guys?
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 59
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:53:16 AM

Interesting if older vegetarians and vegans smelled less than older animal eaters.

I don't think it makes much of a difference. I once dated a much older man - to the point that if I'd realized how old he was, I'd have turned him down, but I didn't find out 'til we were well into it - and he had absolutely no "old man" smell. He ate everything that didn't scamper off the plate and quite possibly some things that might, given the opportunity. He was also regular as a 20-year-old.

My father, on the other hand, did have it, and he also had digestive problems. My mother only developed a bit of "old lady" smell in her last couple of years, when a hiatal hernia caused digestive difficulty.

So my best guess is that it depends primarily on how well everything's processing through the body. Good hygiene (especially dental!) obviously helps everybody, but my own anecdotal experience tends to indicate that digestion is paramount, in this. Maybe that's why some meat-eaters smell like meat, to me, and others don't, as well.

With any luck, I can stave it off for myself by continuing to eat plenty of fruits and veggies and the occasional yogurt... I hope! As some others have mentioned, probiotic supplements may also lend an assist.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 60
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 3:45:25 PM

I have never noticed this on women in, just men. So, I am wondering if anyone knows what this is, why it happens and if a man can prevent it?

It is not the man that is that has the issue, it is you. (in which I mean, the change has happen in you, not them)

As your sense of smell has changed, which means you really should keep a close eye on other changes, with relation to your cognitive abilities as these can be signs of bigger issues.

How we perceive a smell is based largely on how our brain interprets it, so a change in your brain chemistry can create a change in how and what you smell and may be a symptom of something more.
 csamcsog
Msg: 61
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 4:00:59 PM
When I was at college, I lived in this rooming house, where there was a taxi driver, then another taxi driver, another college student, a guy who had two degrees and couldn't find employment, another student, who was from Japan, and an investor's adopted son. And the midget cook, a chinese young man, who did not talk to anyone, not so much because he'd be unfriendly, but we had no common language. And of course there was Dmitri, or Jimi the Greek, who talked about going back to Greece the next summer, every summer, and never did.

So one of the taxi drivers was a consciencious objector to eating meat. He worked first at a vegetarian restaurant, cleaning tables, and though he was very honest and hard-working, they had to fire him because he was too slow. He was a tall guy, not bad looking. He got into taxi driving. I heard it through the grapevine that some fares asked him to drive faster.

He ate only veggies. If he went into a restaurant, and the meal tasted like pork fat, because it was fried in it, he'd leave it on the plate, no matter how hungry he was.

He partnered with the other taxi driver, bought their own cab and plate, all on credit, and in two months the veggie guy was making payments on the car loan by taking out money from his Visa. Within a half a year their cab was totalled in an accident.

The other taxi driver referred to Scotty once as "he's your basic guy".
--------------

This was the preamble. Scotty ate only veggies, and he invited the house or a few people each time to eat with him. His meals were good. Really good. He would put all kinds of random veggies in a bowl, some spices, salt, and boiled the stuff 'till the cabbage leaves, potatoes, chopped onions, and whatever else, were "el dente". Heck, I am getting hungry as we speak.

He walked around the house letting out little passages of wind.

The house smelled terrible, of old, stale, horribly ugly scents.

Paul, another guy, called these "Scotty's vegetarian faaarts."

They were vile. I was well versed with smells, what with an outhouse in the backyard, some neighbours having a pet hawk (who died of malnutrition) and I had got down on all fours to smell its poopoo, and it was awful. I did the same thing to the pet baby Giant Owl of the same neighour, who also died of malnutrition. I have vacationed on farms, in swamps, on garbage heaps, in kitchen garbage. I know smells. The neighbour of a lady in Budapest, whose brother had won the nobel prize in medicine, had a pig farm, and it was the worst so far. Living in Canada, skunks always are in my neighbourhood. I don't know what it is, they always increase in numbers where I live. I saw this skunk in London, Ontario, seven times already, he follows me whereever I move. He has one front paw missing and has a pink spot on his tail, that some prankster spraypainted. So this is unmistakably him. Some female skunks, whent they see me come home with my groceries, and especially without, wag their tails, smack their lips, and I saw some trying to whistle. I am not lying, sir, this is as true as I am standing here.

Scotty's vegetarian fffarrrts were the fourth worst; after the pig farm, afte the owl, after the hawk with misdigestion, and then came Scotty.
 csamcsog
Msg: 62
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 4:08:12 PM
As your sense of smell has changed, which means you really should keep a close eye on other changes, with relation to your cognitive abilities as these can be signs of bigger issues.

How we perceive a smell is based largely on how our brain interprets it, so a change in your brain chemistry can create a change in how and what you smell and may be a symptom of something more.
---------------------

Citation, please.

If I was not allowed my carbonium deformedhide, you can't have your brain chemistry.

We are strictly science- and fact oriented on this thread.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 63
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 4:56:37 PM

Citation, please.

Smells are not the product of what we smell, but the product of how our brain interprets those chemicals.

The molecules in the air + How the brain interprets them = What we smell

If we know the molecules have not changed, then by power of deduction we know that it has to do with how the brain is responding to them and subsequently interprets them.

How something smells to you is as unique to you as your finger print, as your DNA will determined what equipment you will have and how it will be used.

Changes in the way we perceive smell and how may may be a sign of something else is not new or earth shattering information.

There are direct relations to people with migraines and loss of certain smells which may make other stand out more is a warning sign of Parkinson's and many more things that link smell changes to other things going on.

Also keep in mind though that it is easy for people to get fixated on smells, and then they become hyper sensitive and nothing becomes something, not because of what it may be a sign of, but just because of what it is.

So what specifically do you need clarified?
 Deadliest_Snatch
Msg: 64
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:13:39 PM

-----------------
Citation, please.

August 2007
Cyclic Smell Distortions are Seizures

http://www.tasteandsmell.com/aug07.htm
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 65
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 5:29:04 PM

Changes in the way we perceive smell and how may may be a sign of something else is not new or earth shattering information

When I was a kid I loved the smell of barbeque chicken at the grocery store or freshly popped popcorn - since then I have developed a sensitivity to chicken and corn one of my first clues to having that was they I no longer liked the smell of corn or cooked chicken
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 66
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 7:16:40 PM

66: Citation, please. If I was not allowed my carbonium deformedhide, you can't have your brain chemistry.

Carbonium deformedhide? Hmm, I wonder if that would help reduce this swelling…
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 67
view profile
History
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/19/2013 11:36:32 PM
It's "old people smell"....not necessarily jusst men.

In my househunting days, I was shown a cute little house that the owners had vacated...well, actually, only part of the house. It reeked of "that smell", and I couldn't get past two rooms on the first floor without gagging!

Chlorylphyl (spelling?) is a natural body deodorizer when taken in capsule form daily. I highly recommend it!
 csamcsog
Msg: 68
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/20/2013 1:21:31 AM
Andreopolis, I agree with most of what you say, but this:

"How something smells to you is as unique to you as your finger print, as your DNA will determined what equipment you will have and how it will be used. "

Do you know what sensation, in its essential quality as olfactory sensasion or smell, generates in me when I walk past a bakery and smell freshly baked bread? Or past a rose garder, or an abbatoir, or a fish plantation?

Do you know how I smell these?

I doubt it. Because I am me, you are you, and we only know by assumption that a sensation I experience froma stimulus must be experienced the same or similarly to how you experience the same sensation. I cry out when I hit my finger with a hammer, and so do you (or reasonable facsimile of expression of pain). Etc.

So... I feel my sensations, and you feel yours... how can you determine with that high a degree of certainty that yours is NOT the same as mine?

Because if our senses of smell are indeed as different as our dna ids, then it is proven that our sensations of smell are all different. I challenge you on your ability to verify this.
 csamcsog
Msg: 69
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/20/2013 1:24:19 AM
"Old man with old man smell seeks old lady with old lady smell. Forget our past smells -- let's build a future (however short lived it may turn out to be) with hopes for a new, compatible relationship built on our odours. She must have big tits. "
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 70
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/20/2013 7:20:19 AM

Andreopolis, I agree with most of what you say, but this:

That is great, and when you learn how to ask a question with out insulting someone I may entertain the idea of giving you the information you requested.

Until then you can keep showing you have less than a basic understanding with regards to how the body works.
 Paderic
Msg: 71
scent of an older man
Posted: 4/20/2013 8:13:51 AM
I am reminded of the discussion about asparagus and how it makes the urine smell for some people. Well, apparently scientists have studied this phenomenon and determined that it makes everyone's urine smell, the difference is that some people are not able to smell it.

So, to the OP, I would suggest that perhaps old men and women both smell. It's just that your olfactory senses are only capable of detecting the odor coming from men. This wouldn't be unusual, as it is well known that smokers can not smell smoke on other smokers.
 tampasmiles
Msg: 72
scent of an older man
Posted: 5/21/2013 9:14:40 PM
I hug a lot...and have only noticed 3 men that were stinky...one was in his 20s..and the other two in their late 30s. It was definitely B. O. One I sprayed with lysol...the good smelling kind...he seemed to appreciate it..since it prevented the need to shower for another day...the other was from the Middle East...not sure what was up with that ...and the other...I told him the lysol story...and he seemed to almost think it was a good idea too.

As far as the old man smell..nope...haven't smelled it yet...maybe they don't have it when they are at work..or at social events. The guy I have been seeing for the past several years...is mid 50s...but he does shower at least twice a day...and has this thing about going to the restroom to wash his hands...a lot.

The only smell that really bothers me...is smoker's stink...and not sure why they accumulate those butts...they really stink. It always amazes me to find someone who smokes that doesn't stink...it intrigues me....how do they do that...
 PROTON67
Msg: 73
scent of an older man
Posted: 5/24/2013 1:40:07 PM
OP, it's not their cologne you are smelling. Its preparation H. And don't feel too flattered if he shows signs of arousal. Its probably just rigamortis starting to set in.
 Paddy_o_Lantern
Msg: 74
scent of an older man
Posted: 5/24/2013 1:47:31 PM
Under the new rules for POF you are officially a smelly old perv if you are 14 yrs older than the person you are messaging.

Wasn't perfume originally invented to mask unpleasant body odors and haven't women typically worn more perfume than men?

OP if you are really worried about bad smell just hang an air freshener under you nose or spray everyone you come into close contact with febreeze.
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 75
view profile
History
scent of an older man
Posted: 5/24/2013 7:16:43 PM
it's the smell of the skin turning to old leather lol.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > scent of an older man