Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 RDtoo
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
If you do some searching through the back pages, you might find the thread where we debunked the idea that Christianity started from pagan sources. It is total absurdity.
 silivros
Msg: 96
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 12:47:24 AM
Jesua went to school. To become a christ.
 CountIbli
Msg: 101
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 8:54:26 PM
I've heard that the sign of the fish was actually a symbol for the vagina. Some people might think that smells fishy
 RDtoo
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:16:28 PM
I am still waiting for those references J-roc.......
 RDtoo
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:50:01 PM
J-roc, one of the contributors to that website claims to be Professor of New Testament at Drew University. I went to the website at Drew University and not only is he NOT the Professor of New Testament, he is not even on the faculty staff. Do you want to trust the opinion of a known liar?
 RDtoo
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 9:57:07 PM
J-roc, you are confusing the Roman Catholic Church with the Christian faith. The Bible states that the world is round, so the RC is to blame for that one.

As far as me providing links for you, I will do it when you are ready for the Truth. At this point you are only interested in proving Christianity is fraudelent. When you are ready for to seek the Truth, no matter where that might lead, then we can talk about links.
 silivros
Msg: 111
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:03:36 PM
where as the Literalsit Christians took the stories and teaching as Literal. There are missing years because the stories already existed as lessons to be taught, not as a biography of an actual person. The Literalists were also one of the first to not think of people as equals.

well said j-roc

There is a golden thread that winds its way throughout all religions - There is truth throughout all religions. We just need the eyes to see them with.
 RDtoo
Msg: 114
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:07:31 PM
Go to the Drew University website and look. You can find each department and the faculty. Relatively simple.

Now as for what I said about the Truth. Can you honestly tell me you are more interested in knowing what is true rather than attempting to "prove" Christianity is wrong?
 RDtoo
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 10:50:22 PM
I went back to find the guys name. Not sure if he was a contributor or someone leaving a comment but there was no comment with his name and the article. Darrell J. Doughty. At any rate, he is not who he claims, but he might not have anything to do with the site.

Now about that site. They spend alot of time telling you that Christianity borrowed from pagan sources but spend little time in documenting this. The references provided are so general one may read whatever one may likes into it. Like Mithra. We have argued this one many times here and even critics of Christianity have admitted that Mithra had nothing to do with the formation of Christianity. Mithra was born out of a rock or stone or something.

The webmasters also spend alot of time showing Pre-Christian art and how it looks similar to Christian art. This proves nothing except that Christian artists were inspired by pagan artists. It has no bearing on Christianity itself.

J-roc, if we go searching for answers with an agenda in mind, we will find what we are looking for. This is not open mindedness. I can go search for answers to back up my statements and post them here and you would ignore them because it is not what you want to hear. So what good would links do if you did not view them with an unbiased mind? Do you see what I am saying? I do not want to debate you. I want to challenge you. I don't want to tell you what to think, I want to open your mind up to possibilities that you refuse to consider. If you cannot approach it like that, what is the use?
 RDtoo
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/8/2005 11:35:43 PM
J-roc, your father sounds like a smart man. The last thing I would promote is a feel good brain dead Christian faith, like so many seem to practice. I agree with many things said on this forum about Christians. In the movie "Leap of Faith" Steve Martin asked God, "why do so many idiots follow you?" I would echo that question but am afraid I may be one of those idiots and not know it! All I have been trying to do is to challenge you not try to best you in a debate. I have been here for 6 months and have never seen anyone truly win a debate. I have seen questions raised here that I cannot answer and admit they were good questions.
There are some questions raised on the site you provided. Anyone who tells you that Christianity can answer any question is either naive or lying. As Christians we do believe we have the ultimate answer, but that does not explain everything there is to be explained. Job questioned God and was reprimanded even though it would seem Job had the right to ask questions. There is a definite vagueness to the Christian faith. The more we demand for proof or for a sign, the more we are met with a definite silence. I have seen things in my life that made me doubt the existence of God and have seen things that made me fully aware that God was indeed there. You seem like a pretty smart guy and do not need me or maybe anyone else to tell you what to believe. The only thing I was attempting was to urge you to seek Truth no matter where it leads and not to block out the possiblity that there are other explanations that need to be considered. Even as a Christian I like to read what the other side has to say about things.
 Strongbutnotsilent
Msg: 119
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 6:59:43 AM
Sincere211

what you said is as close to the truth as i can imagine and have heard anyone say. Many christians talk about the bible as proof of god, and proof of self. Educated people know that the bible was put together by commitee just as you said. Where are the missing pages of documented history of Jesus' years between 12 and 33. Fact is it does not matter. the fact that the commitee voted not to include those stories is evidence enough that they are hiding something about jesus' life. does not matter what it is either. just as you said it is to enhance the image they wanted to project of him. here is an idea. I am jewish, Jesus was a JEW. It is well known that on their 13 birthday Jewish boys come of age and are considered men. they do not have to marry immediately, but 2000 years ago they were expected to be married within a couple of years of their 13 birthday. any thing that deviates from the normal Jewish culture of the time is to be looked at with great scrutiny.

David
 CountIbli
Msg: 121
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:59:45 AM
The Bible also says the Earth has 4 corners. So take anything that it says with a grain of salt or two.
 flyguy51
Msg: 122
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:21:10 PM
^^^ I understand your problems with the Bible; it can be hard to separate the metaphors from the literalisms (?). But I choose to not throw out the baby with the bathwater.
 flyguy51
Msg: 124
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:28:38 PM

what the years were called between B.C. and A.D.

Good question, but we don't even know what the BC years were called! I hope no one here thinks ancient coins can have the year "100 BC" written on them.
 flyguy51
Msg: 125
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 1:43:53 PM

It would be fine if folks would take the Bible metaphorically but the Fundamentalists tell us to take it literally right? And yet that only applies to certain verses and seems to apply only when convenient to whatever cause they are supporting... So are we to take the book literally or metaphorically? I don't think it can be both.

There's the rub! The reason why there are so many factions in all organized religions! One fundamentalist apologetic speaker said that when reading the Bible, you have to have an appreciation for literary style and historical context-- i.e. the flood may have just covered the known world at the time, not the whole world. A lot of people came to him about flaws in the flood story! That was at least his way of resolving the literal/metaphorical problem.

Like I've said, I am personally getting away from fundamentalism-- for the very reason you stated...
 CountIbli
Msg: 128
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 7:03:16 PM
I'm not entirely sure, but I think dates were generally given by how long it had been since a king has been on a throne. You'll note that in the Bible there are passages like "In the fourth year of the reign of King Shazahazzakuqu the word of the LORD came unto me..."
 RDtoo
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/9/2005 9:16:52 PM
Seriouslyfunny, as someone who takes the Bible literally, I don't see how if it was indeed proved that Jesus visited India, it could be seen as a threat, unless someone trys to mix Hinduism into His teachings. But has it been documented? By whom? The problems I have with alleged documentation like this, is that it was usually unknown until recently. Now I suppose something could be unearthed. I just do not have much faith in documentation that places Jesus in India.

As for having a conversation without mud slinging, I strive to do this with everyone. I realize I have been involved in some viscious conversations over the time I have been here, but I have always stated that I would rather have a civil conversation with mutual respect.
 CountIbli
Msg: 138
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:01:23 PM

I understand your problems with the Bible; it can be hard to separate the metaphors from the literalisms (?). But I choose to not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Judging from what I've seen of Christians any given passage is assumed to be literal unless,

1) It contradicts something else in the Bible
2) It contradicts science
3) It's just too silly to believe, and/or
4) It disagrees with their preconceived notions.
 RDtoo
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/10/2005 11:41:38 PM
SFL, true. Things are being unearthed all the time. India is just the latest place where people would like to believe that Jesus spent His "lost years". They used to claim it was China, until it became all too obvious that the Silk Road was non-exitent in that era. Next I suppose somone will concoct some tale about Jesus in Ireland, fellowshipping with the Celts.
 RDtoo
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/10/2005 11:51:02 PM
J-roc. I tried to explain this before. You want to believe that the Bible was concocted, so you refuse to consider any other alternatives.
 RDtoo
Msg: 146
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:00:16 PM
J-roc, the difference between you and I is that I have been where you are. I was, and am a sceptic. I have questioned the Bible and sought answers pro and con. My agenda was to know Truth. I admitted I might have made an error in calling that guy a liar, but his name was attached to the bottom of the page I read. He was not the Professor of New Testament at Drew University as was stated. You want me to post websites so you can ridicule them. I won't do it. If you are interested in alternative views to your own a simple google search will turn my some sites. At this point I see your agenda is to prove that the Bible is a fairy tale. When your agenda becomes knowing what the Truth is, I would like to talk to you.

SFL, I will check the site you posted out.
 RDtoo
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:23:50 PM
J-roc, no I am not putting hidden meanings into the word Truth. You speak of truth from Muslims and Pagans, yet you are not here promoting books that allegedly disprove those beliefs. You come here to promote a book that allegedly disproves the Bible. You have decided that is what truth is. You say you believed like I do at one time. Were you as consumed with proving the Bible to be true then as you now are consumed with disproving it?
 Dei Gratia
Msg: 149
Jesus Lost Years.
Posted: 9/11/2005 9:32:23 PM
j-roc

I believe your not seeking as hard as one could, and I have done this also, for time to place other things first was my will also sometime ago. And granted if this is what you will then so be it. But allow me to place you at a site that can give you some more facts and unevical evidence.
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L1B8557CB

Show ALL Forums  > Religion  >