Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywher      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 26
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to? Page 2 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)
Robin, it doesn't really need to be below with the social drinking/drug stuff, since it is in the about section, first line, just under your name.
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 5/14/2013 5:41:16 AM
I'm a light smoker, and I always hated people tossing their butts wherever. Can't stand it. Don't like having the smoke on everything either - I've often succeeded without really trying in not having clothes, hands, or breath smelling like it. It's not that hard already ya'll!
 whippedboi
Msg: 28
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 5/15/2013 10:36:13 AM

I have a 9' x 6.5 round penis,

really? that's 9 feet long, longer than you are tall?

that must be quite a burden, I'm sorry
Posted: 5/15/2013 11:50:57 AM
^ hey, with something like that, he can have about 6 or so women at the same time, them just lining up and humping it together.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/15/2013 1:18:05 PM

really? that's 9 feet long, longer than you are tall?

"The first mates name was Morgan
He was a virtual Gorgon
6 men could ride
with legs astride
his massive sexual organ
Oh, friggin in the riggin!...."

Sorry. Rugby flashback.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 31
Posted: 5/16/2013 5:17:56 PM
tallshyman- I am a smoker (spare me the lecture, I know it's bad for me and I'm hoping to quit soon).
Personally speaking (and I'm not the only one), I am always considerate of non-smokers. Even in a bar, I will ask the person sitting next to me if it bothers them and if they say yes, I'll change seats.
I NEVER throw cigarette butts on the ground. I actually carry a plastic baggy with me to party's, smoke outside, put them out and put the butts in the bag and throw it away when I get home.
I have an ashtray I keep in my car that traps the smoke/smell and empty it out when it's full.
Just saying, not ALL smokers are inconsiderate.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 5/16/2013 11:58:20 PM
All I want to know is, how in the world did you manage to type all of that while you were "laughing out loud" all the time? I can't type anything while I'm rolling around on the floor.
 jeni366
Msg: 33
Posted: 5/17/2013 1:31:58 PM

it just comes across as such an attitude of we just really don't give a flip about anyone. It's an attitude of "my satisfaction and who cares about everyone else."

This thinking applies to a lot of behaviors, not just throwing cigarette butts on the ground.
 hounddoug
Msg: 34
Posted: 5/20/2013 8:01:27 PM

It's an attitude of "my satisfaction and who cares about everyone else."

Which encompasses everyone, smokers and non-smokers, everywhere. The majority of people, 95% or higher, are slobs and WILL leave a mess wherever they are in public (parks, beaches, ferries) and there is always trash cans that they have to pass when they leave. But they don't use them. I would not like to see what their homes look like.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/23/2013 10:46:37 AM
I live close to a coffee place and these places attract smokers in hoards. They also deposit their butts in my yard on the way. What most people don't know, but many serious gardners do, is that tobacco products contain viruses such as the mosaic virus which can infect many forms of garden plants, especially tomatoes. Add to that the disgust of these dirty, filthy things all over my yard, and I just can't say what I really feel.
And as a last thought...I have a classmate who I've recently contacted again after many years (46). He's got COPD, can't function well anymore because of it, and wishes like hell that he had all the money he spent on this dirty, digusting habit so he could have retired now instead of having to look for a job and wondering if he'll be able to breathe tomorrow. Butt that is off topic, I suppose?
 Hozo
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 12:29:02 PM
The Mosiac Virus is present in hundreds of plants. Living tobacco is one of them . Cigarettes do NOT carry the virus, as processed cigarette tobacco is flue/heat cured, which kills any Mosiac virus that was ever present on the raw tobacco.

Cigarette butts ARE bio-degradable. They are made of Cellulose Acetate. Cellulose Acetate is a by-product of wood. Synthetic versions posess the same characteristics as wood-derived Cellulose Acetate. In soil, they will decompose at roughly the same rate as hardwood, depending on temperature, moisture, & bacteria/microbe cultures of the soil. It varies from as little as 4 months to perhaps several years depending.

My ex smoked heavily, and dumped the ashtrays into a small raised garden bed. Many thousands of butts were entered into this bed. Every year, when turning over the soil, most butts were either completely decomposed, or only partial remnants remained, which would then be completely gone the NEXT year. There were not thousands of eternal cigarette butts in the raised bed accumulating year after year. There were no detrimental effects on anything vegatative planted in the raised bed. I believe the composting of these thousands of butts actually enrichened the soil.
Posted: 5/23/2013 12:55:06 PM
I think it's things like high levels of nicotine which are poisonous to many plants, and/or should be avoided in gardening, like when handling seedlings after smoking a cigarette (?)
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/23/2013 4:13:02 PM

I get my information from the U Of Minnesota, Ext, as well as other state extension resources. You might refer to them...I do.

[Control for Seedling Growers and Gardeners
The most common method of transferring the virus from plant to plant is on contaminated hands and tools. Workers who transplant seedlings should refrain from smoking during transplanting and wash their hands frequently and thoroughly with soap and water. Tools used in transplanting can be placed in boiling water for 5 minutes and then washed with a strong soap or detergent solution. Dipping tools in household bleach is not effective for virus decontamination. Any seedlings that appear to have mosaic symptoms or are stunted and distorted should be removed and destroyed. After removing diseased plants, never handle healthy plants without washing hands and decontaminating tools used to remove diseased plants.

Persons purchasing small tomato plants for transplanting should beware of any plants showing mottling, dwarfing, or stunting. Avoid the purchase of any affected plant. Gardeners are advised to follow the same procedures recommended for greenhouse workers when handling tomato transplants. Other control methods for home gardeners include roguing (removal of diseased plants), destruction of diseased and infected plants, and control of weeds and chewing insects. When roguing and destroying mature diseased plants from the home garden, be sure to wash hands and decontaminate any tools used in the process before contacting healthy plants.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Produced by Communication and Educational Technology Services, University of Minnesota Extension. ]

["Cigarette butts are the number one source of litter in the U.S. representing over 34% of all debris collected in community cleanups. Food wrappers, caps and lids, and beverage bottles are the next most littered items. Cigarettes are not biodegradable, in fact, the white fibers in the filters are not cotton, but are composed of cellulose acetate which is a plastic designed to capture toxins. “Its very purpose is to trap chemicals, so in those butts there are chemicals that can leach out into the soil and groundwater,” said Jane Ferry of Keep Orlando Beautiful. Environmental conditions vary, but cigarette filters may take anywhere from 18 months to 10 years to degrade."
Source and further information:
http://www.cityoforlando.net/Executive/Communications/news/06_08_18_kob.htm]

Kohmelo
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 4:40:41 PM

1. Smoking lowers risk of knee-replacement surgery

2. Smoking lowers risk of Parkinson's disease
3. Smoking lowers risk of obesity
4. Smoking lowers risk of death after some heart attacks
5. Smoking helps the heart drug clopidogrel work better

With all these health benefits, I just want to know how long you're going wait until you force your future children smoke? I mean, you can give them only so much second hand smoke to get them through to legal age. What if it's not enough? Will you not feel guilty for depriving them?
 Hozo
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 5/23/2013 8:05:41 PM
There are dozens of Mosaic virus strains. You are singling out one. Tobacco Mosaic Virus is but one of many. They all affect garden plants. Tobacco Mosaic Virus, Lettuce Mosaic Virus, Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Potato Mosaic Virus, Corn Mosaic Virus, etc. etc.

Chances are, the strain of mosaic virus in your garden is not caused by cigarette butts. My tomatoes grew fine despite(or because of?) thousands of decomposed composted cigarette butts in the garden soil. If by chance it is caused by cigarette butts, it was the human carrier of one of these listed mosaic viruses that touched the garden plant, or as a longshot, touched his/her virus-infested lips to that cigarette butt, not the cigarette butt itself. Unlikely though, as you said, these cigarette butts are loaded with deadly toxic chemicals. No virus on the planet that may be present in the unburned cigarette tobacco can possibly survive the super-heated burning of the cigarette, then somehow survive the toxic aftershock chemical bath present in the leftover butt, unless it was introduced by pre-infected human touch. It is the infected plant itself, and/or the human carrier who touched those many plants that are responsible, both smoker and non-smoker alike. Your non-smoking gardening gloves are mostly likely infected, and likewise responsible.
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/24/2013 2:55:34 PM
I refuse to argue with you about all the pollution smokers place in our plant and in their lungs. I'll take my information from the Extension Offices and other various websites that I trust. You're just trying to justify a dirty, disgusting, and expensive habit.
 jasonh39
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 2:28:30 AM
Every day over 3 million cigarette butts get thrown on the ground in the US alone.
If they were not biodegradable, you would be up to your knees in butts.
The fact is, most cigarette makers use cotton filters.
Cotton is biodegradable.
I'm not saying littering of any kind is ok.
Just get your facts straight before posting.
If you want to rant about how ugly it is, fine.
If you want to rant that you don't like it, fine.
But don't try to make a case that non-biodegradable butts are an issue.
They're not.
They rot.
They rot fast.
I used to take home butts from the bar and work them into my garden because they retain moisture and nutrients that plants often like (dependent on the plant).
The next spring, they were always gone (biodegraded).
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/26/2013 3:09:16 AM
All people who partake at times are not using the world as their ashtray no more than coke or beer drinkers or people who unwrap candy bars.
You are a litterbug or you aren't.

In an emergency, usually after a meal ( with no trash can in sight).
I will put it out on my shoe sole then roll it in a napkin for later disposal or just not smoke.

No excuse to smoke will be given by me anymore than eating donuts.
It causes more than lung or throat damage/cancer.
Its a big factor in all cancers esp pancreatic along with eating a highly processed junk food diet.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 5/27/2013 6:13:55 PM

I am not sure what your questioning is trying to prove, or I assume you are directly asking me these questions…The information, I mentioned are all published studies from around the world, so, I could provide links to them and you could ask the professionals in their fields, these questions.

You're the one offering this up as relevant, this is why I'm asking you.
If you believe there are health benefits to smoking, why do you list yourself as an occasional smoker? Surely if it were so beneficial you'd be doing it often.
I wonder, have you ever tried to convince your loved ones to smoke using these arguments? Do you actually believe that drivel or is it just an excuse to justify your dirty addiction?
 hounddoug
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/27/2013 7:32:19 PM

Do you actually believe that drivel or is it just an excuse to justify your dirty addiction?

Ranks right up their with drinking I would say.
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:47:02 PM
I just chew up my butts and swallow 'em when I'm done smoking the cigarette. Don't even put it out first. I like a little spice (heat) in anything I eat. And I get enough fiber that way. Just poops right out, no problem. And I get no bad chemicals from the filter/butt either, my body just calls it a few bad words on it's way through my system. And by the time it comes out the other end, it's all composted pretty good.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 4:54:27 PM

Ranks right up their with drinking I would say

I wouldn't. Drinking gets me drunk but in the 20 years I smoked I never found a benefit. It's not fun and it doesn't get you high.
In all the year I have drank, I've never pretended like there's health benefits. That's because I never had to. There's a logical reason to drink (it's fun) so no need to make up BS excuses.
 hounddoug
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/28/2013 7:06:59 PM

There's a logical reason to drink (it's fun) so no need to make up BS excuses.

I would never claim any health benefits from smoking. Maybe there is no BS excuses with drinking but numerous BS choices, like puking in public places and thinking it's socially acceptable or driving drunk and killing another person for your bad choice. Sounds like fun to me. Most people smoking are still pleasant to talk to, drunks are not. If you drive to a pub, you do so with the intention of driving home afterwards. And I have yet to hear of a traffic fatality caused by someone smoking and driving.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2013 4:26:00 AM

Maybe there is no BS excuses with drinking but numerous BS choices,

Yes. You are correct. These are choices that one can make while drinking. They are not requirements.

Most people smoking are still pleasant to talk to,

On the phone, perhaps. Maybe up wind? If you're a smoker you don't notice how much a smoker smells.

but when degenerate individuals like yourself put people down

When I was 14, I heard all the arguments you've given about the positive health effects of smoking. I believed them and they were my excuse for several years. Unfortunately once I figured out through personal experience they were bogus I was already addicted. Folks like you, giving out this crap, helped keep me smoking and could have killed me. Now my son is 14 so you won't be posting that crap without a fight. Whenever you try to convince someone of the health benefits of smoking, it's inevitably going to get back to our youth and ultimately you're a threat to society and to my children. I'm sorry if this makes you feel bad but the truth is that it should.
Rather than having to feel bad, why don't you go to your doctor and see what he has to help.
 59thShadeofGrey
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/29/2013 7:03:46 AM

and If I had to choose between "believing" in the studies by physicians and professionals in their fields or people like yourself, with no basis, I would consider that, a no brainer.

Yeah, there are studies by physicians and professionals in their fields that cite the benefits of sticking a gun in your mouth and pulling the trigger. You can review them here - justifyingbulshyt@iamamoron.org.

Admittedly, society tends to benefit more from this healthy activity than the user does.....
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?