Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywher      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hounddoug
Msg: 51
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to? Page 3 of 9    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9)

When I was 14, I heard all the arguments you've given about the positive health effects of smoking. I believed them and they were my excuse for several years. Unfortunately once I figured out through personal experience they were bogus I was already addicted.

Until I read this thread I had never seen or heard of anything positive in regards to smoking. And the health risks of smoking have been known as long as the other arguments you write of, so it seems to me you are blaming others for the choice you made.

Now my son is 14 so you won't be posting that crap without a fight. Whenever you try to convince someone of the health benefits of smoking, it's inevitably going to get back to our youth and ultimately you're a threat to society and to my children.

I suspect the health benefit of smoking posts in this thread were done so to get a reaction and it worked. Be sure to also enlighten your son about the risks of drinking, or smoking pot or crack. I suspect your son is probably a lot more hip and in tune to what's what than you.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 5/29/2013 6:38:05 PM

I suspect the health benefit of smoking posts in this thread were done so to get a reaction and it worked. Be sure to also enlighten your son about the risks of drinking, or smoking pot or crack. I suspect your son is probably a lot more hip and in tune to what's what than you.

I teach him all that stuff and he should know more than me. But I was also 14 once and I remember all too well...

Until I read this thread I had never seen or heard of anything positive in regards to smoking.

Tobacco companies have been putting out that crap for years. I think grade 10 or 11 sociology, one of the students did a presentation on smoking. His father worked for Imperial Tobacco. I think that was just before they pulled out of Guelph.
You are correct in what you are saying, I made a decision, repeatedly. I acknowledged that when I made the decision to quit and corrected it (excluding damage done) when I quit. Regardless of why this information was posted, it was still a factor in my poor decision making and clearly in that of others. The more BS like that is spread uncontested, the more likely our youth will make excuses.

Here's why it's important.

Despite tremendous reductions in tobacco use, it still remains the number one preventable cause of death in the United States.

Excerpt from:
http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/physician-resources/public-health/promoting-healthy-lifestyles/smoking-tobacco-control.page

With regards to Post 51, no sources were cited. I challenge the poster to give some sort of credible health organization who accepts the information. The AMA, Heart and Stroke Foundation, WHO, CIOMS or other- pick one.
Even the aforementioned tobacco company has this to say on their website:

The only way to avoid the health risks associated with tobacco products is not to use them at all. The best way for a tobacco consumer to reduce these risks is to quit.

Their bold, not mine. Excerpt from:
http://www.imperialtobaccocanada.com/groupca/sites/IMP_7VSH6J.nsf/vwPagesWebLive/DO7VXN69?opendocument&SKN=1
 hounddoug
Msg: 53
Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?
Posted: 5/29/2013 8:10:14 PM

Even the aforementioned tobacco company has this to say on their website:

The only way to avoid the health risks associated with tobacco products is not to use them at all. The best way for a tobacco consumer to reduce these risks is to quit.

That warning is only there for liability purposes, to disavow any responsibility. The tobbacco companies care about people quitting as much as the government really does.
 Kohmelo
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2013 4:23:32 AM

That warning is only there for liability purposes,

Red flags should be going up right there.

2nd, You did not hear any arguments I have given about the positive health effects of smoking, when you where 14, as most of the studies where done after that,LMAO, so basically maybe try and tell the truth to others, if at not at least yourself, you seem very delusional…

The list may have been different, but it was there. The tabacco companies fund researchers to rehache these old ideas to make them look like new ideas. The minute WHO or the AMA starting crediting them then I'll have another look. You are very naive.

(I never said smoking has in general healthy or there are not negative effects)

Again #1 killer in the western world. When you go looking for the benefits, it's only to console yourself for your foolinshness of smoking. If you really believed in those benefits you'd be trying to convince others to smoke. Basically, not needing knee surgery is a consolation prize for paying thousands of dollars for the right to kill yourself slowly.
Genius.

First, I have no idea why am responding to your horrid rebuttals, but this will be the last one,lol.

I would welcome that.
 cesska
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2013 8:33:20 PM
cause there are no ashtrays
nicotine raises seratonen levels which is what antidepressants do
nicotine patches can help with colitis if you don't smoke

smoke or not we are giving away all our rights to do anything
stand up for each other or they will be taking your freedom away next.
 MrTasherDK
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2013 9:28:58 PM
Why do you feel the need to call people weak asholes in a debate?
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 6/6/2013 8:50:14 PM

it just comes across as such an attitude of we just really don't give a flip about anyone. It's an attitude of "my satisfaction and who cares about everyone else."

People who lack common sense generally aslo lack common courtesy.

Smokers are weak, addicted aholes that don't even respect themselves.

Does that broad paintbrush include the former smoker and current United States President?

Absolutely!

If not, exactly when was he excluded, in your opinion, from being a weak, addicted ahole with no self respect?

NEVER!!!!

BTW: he still smokes.
 4ms4me
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2013 10:26:27 AM

But those who smoke more, are very often simply without any place to put their butts.

Doesn't really apply, many smokers are not inclined to even walk 5 feet out of their way - I've watched many of them ignore the receptacle that is in sight in favor of dropping the butt on the ground. If they were really concerned they could keep a small receptacle for their butts and dispose of them somewhere other than the ground, but as one smoker said to me when I suggested that "I don't want to carry garbage".

OP, I agree - while there are some smokers who are considerate, the vast majority just aren't.
 matchlight
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2013 11:07:10 AM
Smokers have a right to enjoy themselves, just like people have a right to use however much gasoline and water they want to pay for. I don't much like the litter of cigarette butts, but I would rather have that than live amongst a lot of meddling prigs who are constantly trying to tell everyone else how to live. What's ironic is that the lion's share of these busybodies call themselves "liberals." They are anything but. Their Birkenstocks, tofu, Priuses, and fervor to hug The Planet are a facade--at heart they are really modern-day Puritans. These nags always remind me of the strait-laced farm couple in Grant Wood's "American Gothic."
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/7/2013 11:17:18 AM

... but I would rather have that than live amongst a lot of meddling prigs who are constantly trying to tell everyone else how to live. What's ironic is that the lion's share of these busybodies call themselves "liberals."...

A conservative claiming they do not like busybodies telling others how to live while making insulting remarks towards other people.

Thanks for the irony and congratulations on your projecting.
 cotter
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2013 11:20:41 AM

First of all, the world is not the smokers ashtray.
Well according to some ... it is.

The people who live in the apartment above my daughter apparently don't smoke in their apartment as they throw lit cigarette butt's out before walking into their apartment. It started the mulch below on fire ... right next to the vinyl siding and outside my daughter's living room window. If she had not been home and able to call and report the fire, it might have caused the whole building to burn.
 hounddoug
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/7/2013 1:12:27 PM

Doesn't really apply, many smokers are not inclined to even walk 5 feet out of their way - I've watched many of them ignore the receptacle that is in sight in favor of dropping the butt on the ground. If they were really concerned they could keep a small receptacle for their butts and dispose of them somewhere other than the ground, but as one smoker said to me when I suggested that "I don't want to carry garbage".

I touched on that earlier in this thread, basically saying ALL people are pigs and slobs and leave their garbage where ever even when a garbage container is close by. Until the non-smokers cease with that themselves, they need to STFU until then.
 4ms4me
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2013 1:20:14 PM

Until the non-smokers cease with that themselves, they need to STFU until then.

I am a non-smoker, and I don't dump my personal garbage wherever I happen to be. So, I'm not a pig or a slob, and I don't need to STFU.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/11/2013 1:15:07 PM
I just passed my three months being smoke free.

I was talking about this with a few of my co workers...and we all agreed, smoker or not people in general toss garbage on the regular.

However, one lady was really riled about smokers tossing thier butts and made a few nasty remarks about that. Her and I leave at the same time and yesterday I followed her almost all of my route home by coincidence. By golly, if she didnt throw a banana peel out of her window! She didnt see me behind her.

I called her on that today and now she is mad at me...littering is not a smoking thing. It is rampant among many groups. Her excuse was it was biodegradable. I quiped it aint instant and now someone is going to step in rotten food. How sweet. It will attract animals that will likely get hit by a car...real pleasant for the folks coming along behind her.

As a former smoker I can admit I did fling the odd butt on the ground. The nature of the habit kind of lends itself to doing this...the entire cigarette becomes ash while smoking it and it is perfectly acceptable to drop ashes...then you are left with this little stub of fiberglass...so 99% of the cigarette is OK to tap onto the ground but the end is not. I 'get it'...but I can also see why a smoker would figure it is fine to toss the butt along with the ashes, onto the ground.

Most places for example, tell thier employees to 'smoke out back' where no one will see them. I 'get it'. But, when I am approaching a building like that...guess what? They have usually removed all ashtrays in the front to discourage employees from smoke in the front and customers approaching find themselves with no where to toss thier butts.

I never felt it was OK to toss my butts...but when I did do it, it was because there wasnt anywhere else to dispose of them.

In any event, Im happy this habit is in my past and not my present.
 hounddoug
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/11/2013 1:41:12 PM

In any event, Im happy this habit is in my past and not my present.

Good on you, femaleconnection. Maybe that lady will get over it, but I doubt it. The self-righteous never do especially when they've been proven wrong.
 Double Cabin
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2013 2:04:45 PM
Suggesting people should STFU because they MIGHT also have shortcomings is something I'd expect to hear from a teenager, not a Baby Boomer.

I have several friends that smoke, and as far as I know none of them litter AT ALL. Smokers would do well to encourage all their fellow abusers to not litter since among several things they drive up ALL of our insurance rates and need to project the best, community oriented impression they can. Just because a smoker knowingly commits slow suicide doesn't mean they have to have the same attitude about the planet.

Unlike funnygirl I'm a pretty ugly but stronger physical presence and I do not indulge litterers of any kind. If I see it happen I will pick up the trash, give the offender an opportunity to dispose of it properly, and if they don't capitulate then I'll do whatever I can to make them far more than simply sorry they ever decided to !@#$ on their children's future. Throw food out your window in a parking lot and I'll pick it up and smear it all over your windshield if you refuse to pick it up yourself. Throw a but out on the trail and if you don't want to pick it up I'll detain you and put in your !@#$%^g pack for you. Threaten me with your gun and if you're stupid enough to do it without defensible space I'll relieve you of it and render it unable to function.

Yeah, as an avid outdoorsman and investor in the future I'm pretty intolerant of destructive, unecessarily inane self absorbtion.
 hounddoug
Msg: 67
Posted: 6/11/2013 3:09:34 PM

Suggesting people should STFU because they MIGHT also have shortcomings is something I'd expect to hear from a teenager, not a Baby Boomer.

Which is your opinion double cabin which I don't agree with. It's the simplest solution and response to the same old drivel. The other solution is not say anything, as in wasting ones breath. And honestly, your solutions to the shortcomings others MIGHT have...

if they don't capitulate then I'll do whatever I can to make them far more than simply sorry they ever decided to !@#$ on their children's future. Throw food out your window in a parking lot and I'll pick it up and smear it all over your windshield if you refuse to pick it up yourself. Throw a but out on the trail and if you don't want to pick it up I'll detain you and put in your !@#$%^g pack for you.

... are not any better ... my opinion.
 RyanohRyan
Msg: 68
Posted: 6/12/2013 2:05:34 PM
They don't care about themselves, why would they care about anything else?
 hounddoug
Msg: 69
Posted: 6/12/2013 6:59:34 PM

You're damaging your health for no gain at all. Then it's the health care system and your family that will have to take care of you in the end.

Because you didn't smoke you may still end up be in some intensive care anyways with something else. And you're living longer, which means the health care system and your family still have to take care you in the end. Try a new argument.
 cesska
Msg: 70
view profile
History
 hounddoug
Msg: 71
Posted: 6/12/2013 10:31:17 PM

what's STFU mean

LOL! Shut The F*ck Up.

The negative consequences of smoking are well known and documented. How is it responsible to damage your health so you live a shorter life and leave your children or grandchildren without a mother/father or grandmother/grandfather? That sounds very selfish.

Assuming it is a shorter life. It is also well known and documented of many people who smoked their entire adult lives and lived into their 90's and older. Smoking or not smoking is no guarantee of a longer or shorter life. Just like drinking, which is very selfish in itself as well, with alcoholism and other health risks. Or you could drink and drive and kill yourself or someone else or never drink at all and still be killed by a drunk driver.
 ShelbySask4friend1
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/12/2013 11:04:30 PM
Wow, a lot of hate on this one... I would be scared to be having a smoke in a dark alley and some of these posters come walking by,lmao...
Smoking is still sexy, and always will be,lol...

Here is a study, sitting can be more harmful than smoking,lol...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2001824/Sitting-dangerous-smoking-study-shows.html

Cigarette butts are biodegradable, where do you get this information from?...

I do not think half the population deserves to drive(always cutting me off,lol), but I think as semi intelligent people, we would all agree, there are a lot of freedoms being abused, when you are controlled by what you can,can not doand where you can do it, regardless of your "stance"...
 hounddoug
Msg: 73
Posted: 6/12/2013 11:15:11 PM

there are a lot of freedoms being abused, when you are controlled by what you can,can not doand where you can do it

And there are just as many freedoms being taken away, controlling what you can, cannot do, and where you can do it, by those who think they know better of how we, as individuals, should be living in accordance to their beliefs or agenda while not taking away their freedoms.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2013 11:59:58 PM

I think smoking all the time is a pretty selfish thing to do, especially if you also litter.
You're damaging your health for no gain at all. Then it's the health care system and your family that will have to take care of you in the end.

My father died from cancer which was very obviously from smoking (started in esophagus, spread to liver) when I was 14. My mother nagged and nagged for him to quit -- but he just tried to hide his habit from her. Our family stayed in turmoil over their having the same argument over and over.

My father seemed to love us very much. But I always felt like he chose between his family and his habit.
 Hozo
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2013 9:24:37 AM
/\ /\ /\ Merely SMELLING cigarette smoke is not the same thing as 2nd hand smoke...thats only a few parts per million....not much different than the scent in the air of someones freshly shampooed hair or their cologne. Were you equally concerned that the wafting scent of your suntan lotion, or the potentially sickening odour of certain foods you were eating may have been disrespectful, and offended those very same people sitting next to you?

But anti smokers like the above poster dont know the difference. It fits their selfish agenda, and therin lies the problem.

I am not a cigarette smoker, therefore I can walk into a building, or someones house, etc, & detect the smell of cigarette smoke the same way an anti smoking crusader does. THAT DOESN'T MEAN ITS 2ND HAND SMOKE....But to a crusader, it is. I can also walk into a non-smoker's home and detect if they fried fish in the past week. I am breathing 2nd hand fish obviously.

It is no different than walking into a donut shoppe and smelling donuts. You may enjoy it, whilst others find it quite sickening and offensive. Using the anti-smoker scenario, I must be dangerously coating my lungs with white flour and powdered sugar.

Its merely an odour. I find it baffling that anti smokers go haywire over it. A smoker's home ALWAYS smells like cigarette smoke, even after theyve been on holiday for a week, but upon entering that same home after being vacant for a week, a non smoker will gag & rant & do all the obvious demeaning displays & gestures. Its hilarious.

The lines have become conveniently blurred by anti-smokers concerning 2nd hand smoke. 2ND HAND SMOKE, & merely just SMELLING SMOKE are 2 completely different things.

Studies done that anti smokers cling to as gospel deal with true recognised 2nd hand smoke statistics.....which is a suspended particulate count of several hundred parts per million of cigarette smoke, over a certain duration of time. It is a long term exposure to a concentrated amount.

True 2nd hand smoke can be seen as a smokey haze in a poorly ventilated room. One needs to be exposed months/years to this several hours a day. That is where the 2nd hand smoke stats come from. Nobody here is exposed to this anymore. If they are, they are the only ones who have a legitmate complaint. Everyone else is a bandwagon jumper. Every other anti smoker is conveniently hijacking it.

This is what I see as one of the problems created by a brainwashing agenda...a non smoker SEES or SMELLS cigarette smoke & equates it with 2ND HAND SMOKE. True 2nd hand smoke is an entity, not simply a scent or unfavourable visual on ones part.

You are dealing with a SCENT. You are magically turning it into 2ND HAND SMOKE.

Sorry, but you are not Jesus performing the miracle at Cana. If you are alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of cigarette smoke, why are you not alarmed at being exposed to 3 parts per million of the hundreds other cancer-causing compound in the air you breathe daily?

This is a perfect example that its less a concern for ones health as it is a knee jerk Pavlov's dog response. When one merely SEES someone else smoking and gets a whiff of smoke SCENT anymore, that triggers a response - not the smoke itself. As you grimace & wave your hand in front of your face in the mere presence of a smoker its obvious to all that there's no thick cloud of smoke present. Its merely a conscious public display in order to show your support for your stance.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Why do smokers feel they can just throw their cigarette butts anywhere they want to?