Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 annywn
Msg: 26
My Boyfriend's DogPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
THAT is short? I tried to read the whole thing, but it was just to ridiculous.
 phoenix_55
Msg: 27
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:27:21 AM
Could someone give me the Reader's Digest condensed version of the OP's dog problem?

I fell asleep after the first paragraph .... zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
 John255317
Msg: 28
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:31:34 AM
It doesn't take a dog trainer to realize that it is the owners fault with the dog. It is just like raising disrespectful kids, the kids never got the discipline they should have had. I don't own a pet and I know that much!
 billingsmason
Msg: 29
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:41:54 AM
try sprinkling a little hot pepper powder in the crotch of your panties and jeans to stop the dog from chewing them
 jlynn1955
Msg: 30
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:46:13 AM
OP-Message...yeah I only put the "dog or me" thing in because I only skimmed the story. Alot of people, in this forum and others, sometimes and somehow and for some reason-try to read between the lines. Plus people tend to read things with their own mindset. Once they get that stuck in their heads, it's hard to convince them you didn't say or mean that. Plus people tend to focus on one word or sentence and it's probably not the most important word or sentence. Pointless to argue with them. It's like a he said/she said broken record.

I don't think anyone asked but:In regards to the crotch chomping...If a dog is gonna chew on clothes, that is a favorite spot...There's a reason, but no need to go in to that-LOL. I woudn't tell anyone "well put the clothes up then". I had a Scottie...he chewed the heels off of ALL my high heels. I guess i was a slow learner. LOL

Meh-gonna be people who have to judge and chastise instead of just answering the question. Ain't got time for that $hit.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 31
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:55:09 AM
Rockabillly-Geez I wish I'd known you when my beloved Scottie, McKay, was alive. Lord, have a mercy....LOL.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 32
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:59:57 AM
^^^OMG, I totally need to come visit you. I love Scotties and Westies. There was a Westie lived in my neighborhood. Name is Sam. You know how some dogs are special and have IT and some dont? Well, Sam has IT and then some. I've never seen a dog with so much personality just oozing. He was a rescue and has one bad leg and is blind in one eye. One of the smartest dogs I've ever known. Owner didnt have a fence yard and he roamed the neighborhood all day-which I didnt agree with, but...Everyone knew who he was and he'd go from door to door to visit people. Used to come to my place for snacks and maybe come inside for a nap...Gosh, I love him as much as if he were mine. I'm his godmother! Yeah, Scotties are something else, too. Smart and stubborn beyond belief.
Was gonna send you a pm about my Scottie's exploints but couldn't. My ex has one now and we call him our "short bus" dog (no offense intended) because he is so whack..
 Pinky127
Msg: 33
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 7:03:01 AM
Op,first it's a problem with your boyfriend's Mother and now there's a problem with his dog........???
and,you're really going to move in with him in a few months??

SHUT THE DOOR WHEN YOU & HE ARE GOING TO GET INTIMATE.

femaleconnection
Msg: 34
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 8:00:47 AM
I know the bleeding hearts will hate me but whatever...

A dog that has not been shown/trained on the house rules should be in a kennel when a human being cannot be watching them. This is for thier safety. A dog eating the material on clothing will end up needing a surgery at some point because he WILL eat something too large one day and his stomach will flip in his cavity and cause death. So, if there is a dog in in your home and you KNOW he eats clothes, grab a brain and kennel it when your eyes are busy elsewhere. That is, if you actually are a dog person as you stated a million times in your opening post.

Second-the minute you enter someone's home and you see with your own two eyes that he has no control over his animal that is when you leave until he can show you he has taken back that control. You dont proceed entering, getting attached and then months later have drama over it,. You act in the moment by removing yourself and your own dog from a situation where lack of control can cause danger to your own dog.

My dogs are very obedient. If I took them somewhere and other humans were allowing thier dogs to act poorly...I would leave immediately. I would never risk an out of control dog biting my dog or derailing all of the hard work I put into training my dogs.

What were you thinking OP? I can only deduce you were thinking with the tingles between your legs and not any part of your brain. If you are such a dog person how could you have been attracted to someone who was basically mis treating thier dog by not training it properly??

Close the door when humping, pick up your dirty clothes and read a book or two written by Cesar Millan or Brad Pattison. Sounds like neither of you know anything abour raising a well behaved dog. People like this make me angry because dogs get put to death when they bite someone, yet the stupid human actually caused it by allowing the dog to think it is in control in the first place.....

I show my dogs that I love them by not letting them develop bad habits to begin with. They will never be a burden to someone else....that is how you love a dog, not by letting the dogwhatever they please. Dogs are not happy like that. If they were, they wouldnt be nipping and chewing peoples clothes/hands/skin! A happy dog has no desire to DO those things!! A happy dog is a tired and controlled dog!!! The crave boundarie, like small children do. Set some! If the man you date wont...leave the situation until he shows he can.

I met plenty of 'dog lovers' while dating. Some of them were damned cute...but they didnt even raise an eyebrow when we sat together and thier own dog growled at me. I never met those men again. A man who allows his dog to growl at me is NOT the man for ME. I would never allow my dog to growl at someone I was meeting. If they did, I would correct them immediatly.

My suggestion would be to leash this dog 24/7 when not kenneled so as to prevent it from doing things that are unacceptable/dangerous to its health. Leashing to a human that is, not to an object. Teach the dog he cannot do anything without masters consent.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 8:20:20 AM
Okay, trying to stick to the story at hand...(not easy)

1. The dog is not doing a "F-U" move. He is chewing on your panties and jeans because there are female scents and he wants them. He also knows that tearing the cloth will bring more of the smell out. Nothing personal is going on here. He's just doing what he knows to do. Most dogs outgrow this by the time they are three. If they havent then goto step 2.

2. Your boyfriend is not providing the dog with a proper alpha dog boundary and its showing. Right now this dog is running roughshod all over him because he thinks HE controls the show...and he does.
Some call it alpha, but you can also use "providing boundaries".
The fact is that your BF is not suited to be a dog lover or he is not willing to put the effort in. Either way its causing problems for you.
While the dog isnt actually growling at you, he is presenting behaviors akin to a spoiled child.
If he cant manage a simple dog, how do you think he will do in a realtionship and setting and keeping boundaries between people?
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 36
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 8:21:28 AM
as a few other posters have suggested..

either put the dog outside or in another room when its time for sleep or action..problem solved there..

an Stop leaving clothes an underware laying around..
start folding or hanging them up in the closet or dresser..

you mentioned you can be quite messy thats bad house keeping on yourself ,,
and well if i saw a bunch of s hit laying around i would tear through it too..
next thing will be the dog is tearing into the over flowing trash or theres roaches crawling every where because nobody
does the dishes or cleans up..

I can Not understand how some people can let a pet run their lives,,,
i take care of my dogs an show them love too
but i sure as hell dont let them get away with destroying everything an being a pain in the ass when i have company..
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 37
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 8:49:43 AM
Plenty to criticize OPie and her beau about, but that's pretty much been said. I'd just like to point out that some breeds are close to untrainable, and within that some dogs themselves are not. My dog trainer noted to me when I was training with her that Shitzus were close to impossible (my observation was that this was the royal toy dog in China, and was never even toilet trained: had its own servants who walked around and picked up after it, lol! Bred this way for *millennia*. . . . ).

I had a white German Shepherd that my brother had given me as a puppy, and whew! At a year, I dropped her off at his place while I flew home to give my sister a month's respite from mama care. Hannah promptly knocked my tiny sister in law on her keester, and my brother snarled at me: She needs to be trained! (He'd worked for years training German Shepherds for the SS.) I said, Kewel: you've got a month! Go for it. When I picked her up, she jumped me. As I looked over her shoulder at my brother, and raised an eyebrow, he pleaded: SHE CAN'T BE TRAINED!! Bingo! I knew that by then, but also knew that he *knew* better, so nothing like real time experience. Still, there is something awesome about a dog who can make herself access to your roof, and run along fence tops. . . .
 The_Curvy_Doll
Msg: 38
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 8:50:26 AM
The dog lacks discipline and thinks he is the boss of the house. You didn't say what your bf does when the dog goes psycho (other than the one time he called over the dog). Does he discipline the dog and make it understand this is unacceptable behavior? Or does he just not react? I think you are right to be upset about this, it's pretty horrible. If it were me I would tell my bf I am not comfortable coming over to his house anymore until that dog is under control and then ask him what he plans to do about it. Just because he had the dog longer than you doesn't mean it's right for him to force you to endure such a horrible situation. As your bf he should be protecting you and caring for your feelings. If he doesn't take the hint to bring his dog to training after talking to him about it (don't suggest dog training, just tell him how you feel and then let him figure out the solution) then it means he probably doesn't care that much about you and you should consider if you can tolerate this or not. And if not, then you need to leave ASAP.
 SilentInk
Msg: 39
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 10:25:02 AM

What were you thinking OP? I can only deduce you were thinking with the tingles between your legs and not any part of your brain.

Deduce all you like. I have been with my boyfriend for a couple of months before I met his dog. No I did not consider dumping everything down the drain just because his dog was a mild annoyance to me. His dog only became a problem later in the relationship. We are talking like almost year down the line. And actually now I feel a lot more than 'tingles between my legs' for my boyfriend, so no I would not leave him because of his dog. In my eyes that's a petty reason to walk out over (though it's not petty enough to annoy me).

I just want his dog to behave, but I don't want to step on his feet and discipline his dog myself because it is not my place and it is not my dog. Just like when I see a child who is acting out in public and the child's parents don't know/want to handle it. I am not going to butt in and discipline their child, because not my child and not my place. But yes their child will probably annoy the crap out of me in 2 minutes from making my ears bleed.

Close the door when humping

Unfortunately that won't work either in the mean time because my boyfriend has a roommate who hates his dog, so my boyfriend's dog will absolutely not be put out the room (unfortunately for me) because in 2.5 seconds the roommate will knock and complain.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 40
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 11:16:21 AM
^^^^ Okay so you are committed. I would say actually TALK to him about the situation. You may even be able to come up with a plan that you can do TOGETHER. A little animal planet, some Dog Whisperer and a few books and really get the dog firmly into the idea that he is a kept animal.
It doesnt have to be harsh and if you two are as close as you say, then this will work to your benefit...and maybe to the benefit of you as a couple.
I should have read closer. I hope you can make it work.
 MsMaggieMay
Msg: 41
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 1:42:56 PM
Your boyfriend has obviously taught his dog no obedience at all. His dog does not view him as alpha at all. Sorry to say but this dog will end your relationship. Get over it and dump him already. He already has a girlfriend.

Ugh! Dog freaks!
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 42
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 1:48:48 PM
WHY would you even consider moving into a hellish nightmare situation like this? It's giving me a headache even thinking about it.

Get your own place, and let him come visit you, without the dog.

And, please, don't ever have children with this man.
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 43
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 2:27:10 PM
Most dogs are emotionally retarded, just like their owners.
 lostcausein
Msg: 44
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:04:13 PM

The dog is not doing a "F-U" move. He is chewing on your panties and jeans because there are female scents and he wants them

So do I !

Are you sure it's the dog and not your bf ?

lol
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 45
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 5:27:23 PM

I just want his dog to behave, but I don't want to step on his feet and discipline his dog myself because it is not my place and it is not my dog.

Sure it is. Especially since you're moving in with them. Which I think is a terrible idea, but you're doing it, so for heaven's sake, train the dog.

A boyfriend of mine had a dog who was undisciplined - though not to this extreme! - and had severe separation anxiety. It could be very unpleasant. So I trained him. I didn't know much about dog-training, but it wasn't hard; all I had to do really was follow my instincts. He just needed more walks, to tucker him out, better medical care (part of the problem, when investigated, proved to be chronic ear infections), and consistent limits, was all. Piece of cake. He started getting better within a week and was quite well-adjusted by the time his owner and I broke up. The boyfriend was delighted, I was more comfortable at his house, and the dog loved me to pieces and was much, much happier.

I loved him, too. Still miss him sometimes. The dog, that is. He's probably an emotional mess again by now, poor thing, no way his owner's been consistent. I wish I could have got him in the break-up.

And, please, don't ever have children with this man.

Heartily seconded. He'll be the same way as a parent. You'll have to do everything. The kids will play the two of you off each other and get whatever they want from him. Then you'll have to discipline him and them both. That story doesn't end well for anyone.
 PittsburghVixen
Msg: 46
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:13:44 PM
For anyone new to this thread, here's the Reader's Digest version:

1) The dog is the boss.
2) The BF/dog owner cares more about what he dog thinks and feels than he does about his GF, the OP.
3) OP is tired of the dog's behavior but won't or can't get the BF to do anything about it.
4) OP asks for advice here and then rejects most of it.

You're welcome.
 John255317
Msg: 47
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/7/2013 6:34:08 PM
Ahh, another dysfunctionl relationship the OP has. The obvious thing most understand is that the owner of the pet is not very bright and really should not own a pet. There are responsibilities to own a pet. I have been with women where the pet has never been a problem, nor should it be. I am not a pet owner because I don't want the responsibility. I am happy going where I want and not have to worry about a pet. Someday years from now I will but the one thing I do know, people have to be responsible. Just like kids, it is the parent that has to teach. OP, you are "anoyed" you say. I bet it gets worse if you let it go. I would bet on it but enjoy the great relationship along the way.lol
 Della D
Msg: 48
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 7:28:29 AM
Never had this particular experience, but have encountered many out of control dogs in various settings. Being a dog lover myself, even breeding dogs at one time, I can only tell you that in these cases the problem is always the owner, not the dog.

Especially with these small toy breeds clueless owners neglect proper training from early puppy age on, often times out of a misguided sense of dog love, not realizing they are not doing even the dog any favour (and much less themselves). Then later on once the dog is fully grown they are all surprised when they realize the dog controls them and runs their life, instead of the owner controlling the dog.

PROPER dog training is fun for the dogs as well as the owner. The puppy enjoys the interaction, the attention they are getting, think of quality time with the owner, but again provided it's done properly.

If your boyfriends dog is no longer a puppy, the only solution is a professional dog trainer, as he is obviously not capable or willing to work with his dog and properly train him.

Good luck!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 49
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 8:23:39 AM

If your boyfriends dog is no longer a puppy, the only solution is a professional dog trainer, as he is obviously not capable or willing to work with his dog and properly train him.

That's going to be of limited help IMO because the boyfriend probably won't do the home work, so the training would just go the way of the quagga. I don't think these two can likely afford to have a trainer come on a regular basis in perpetuity - it isn't as much as many think but it does add up, and they're young, just getting started.

It will help SilentInk get started, to hire a trainer, but it's still almost certainly going to be up to her to do all the home work and ongoing reinforcement.
 SilentInk
Msg: 50
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 9:14:37 AM

reading your profile, you're a self-centered, self-involved, rude, disrespectful drama queen.

Really you gathered ALL that from my profile? Well based on your profile if we are so quick to judge you are a coward who hides behind a blank profile. What are you afraid of? Oh that's right you are a 30 something year old with an "average type" body that's divorced. How about not taking your bitterness out on me? K thanks

I don't believe what you've posted about the behavior during sex.

Well guess what honey, I could care less what you believe or don't. Believe it or not I am not here to impress some broad hiding behind a picless profile. FYI my boyfriend told me his dog acted this exact same way when he had sex with his ex so this is NOT something the dog does just because it's me, which brings me to your next ridiculous ASSumption.

doesn't surprise me that anyone's dog would react to you by being aggressive but the other stuff you've posted

Well my dog loves me very much, and my boyfriend's dog is very cuddle with me as well when my boyfriend and I aren't having sex or having an intimate moment or just talking and not paying attention to him.

It's ok to be bitter over your crappy life, just don't take it out on 20 something year olds that obviously have a lot more going on than you. Just an idea.

Have a good day rotting in your bitterness ;)
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog