Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 newonthescene76
Msg: 51
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's DogPage 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Is this the same guy whose mother buys him everything? To be honest, from what you have written about him, I don't really understand why you would want to have a long term relationship with him. He is tied tightly (at least financially) to his mother, which is not an admirable trait. He should be able to stand on his own two feet. Now he has a dog that he can't/won't control. Is he even embarrassed or apologetic when his dog continues to destroy your things? Then, you mention that he lives with a roommate and can't have the dog outside of his bedroom. So, when you move in, it will be you two and the two dogs basically sharing a room?

If you are thinking long-term with this guy (especially children) I would say cut your line and run. He has already shown that he is fine with others taking care of him (i.e., his mother) and that he does not do well with disciplining his own (i.e., the dog running the house). I'm not really sure what qualities he may have that would override these huge red flags. It also sounds that there are a lot of things you are putting up with and over time I think these things will get old. Good luck if you continue to stay with him.
 DrummingNut
Msg: 52
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 10:18:28 AM
With the OP's answers of it not being her issue/responsibility to do anything about the dog...

and with her thinking to move in with this guy who won't do anything about the dog...

I don't see where anything anyone writes as advice will be of any help to this situation.

I don't even know why she started the thread.
Just to get attention? Like the dog does.
 CharminC
Msg: 53
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 10:34:09 AM

My boyfriend and I have worked through bigger issues

Yes, we know!
I didn't bother reading any of this because I recall OP's other thread complaining about her "spoiled" boyfriend. I'm assuming this is the same boyfriend?
Found another thing that annoys you about him eh? Seems too many things about him annoy you.
I swear you are swinging the poor guy along. Wish he would get annoyed with you and LEAVE .
 Proteaus
Msg: 54
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 11:56:38 AM
Sounds like the pet is trying to warn its owner about something ? Animals usually know . If the guy is smart he will listen to his dog , because obviously there is something not right because of the way the animal is acting . Sounds like the dog is trying to protect the owner from the opp .
 Debyduz_
Msg: 55
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:29:41 PM
The bf is week and needs to put the dog in its place. Buy a book or hire a dog trainer.

I once start dating a guy with a doberman and it tried to snap at me even when muzzled. I never returned. It was not the dogs fault. He was not dominant enough and the dog felt the need to protect the family even though she was not alpha.

Dogs are below humans and anytime you allow them to be above humans you have behavior problems.

Don't move in until he fixes the problem. The problem is him not the dog. Dogs have to be taught their place.
 SunshineAngel99
Msg: 56
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/10/2013 6:34:33 PM
A tiny dog causes such an uproar haha. If this is the biggest problem in the relationship then you have it made.
 cajuncooker
Msg: 57
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/11/2013 6:42:30 PM
Humm plain and simple if a woman says its me or the dog my response is always come on fido its bed time. and me and the dog go to bed and she sleeps on the couch. One told me once to get rid of my dog or it was her, she came home from work and everything was packed in the corner outside and the locks changed.
you get loyalty from a dog
 Hanoverfella
Msg: 58
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/11/2013 7:55:14 PM
Try this test I read about, get your boyfriend to lock both you(the op) and his dog in the trunk of his car for a couple of hours, and which ever one of you is happiest to see him when he opens the trunk, is the one he keeps. ;)
 bamagrl68
Msg: 59
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/15/2013 4:16:38 PM
silentink- You need to tell all of this to your boyfriend!
Seriously, this is so bad it's almost funny.
I have owned dogs all my life and the dog acts this way because your boyfriend didn't train it right.
Your choices:
Put up with it and eventually hate the dog and your boyfriend
Talk to him and INSIST he do something
Silently stew and wait for the dog to die
 Maleman999
Msg: 60
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/15/2013 7:22:11 PM
Buy the dog a big rawhide bone or bone from a butcher shop, and the dog will be content and chew on it for hours, as long as you don't allow the dog to bring it to bed. The bones get slimy with dog saliva after a while.
 arwen52
Msg: 61
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/20/2013 3:39:25 PM
I think he needs a crate. Or to put the dog outside or in another room.

That kind of behavior is unreasonable.

Good luck living together. Maybe you should rent a duplex and live next door to each other and let him come over to your place.
 JeremyD4789
Msg: 62
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/20/2013 3:54:54 PM
"I am a dog person, always have been."
From this story, I'm taking it you aren't really a dog person?

Why don't you just leave the dog in a different room? Or is it a studio type deal? If so just buy a kennel for him, for when you want to get frisky.
 Vannili
Msg: 63
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/22/2013 10:02:20 AM
Msg.1:

That is really annoying that his dog interrupt you for your intimate sessions, and on top of that he chewed your pants crotch and panties... I don't know what to tell you, a mere thought ,how about letting the dog stay out side in the yard, while you and your boyfriend are having sex?.

Perhaps, it is his great, great, great Grandmother reincarnated as a dog, and we know how grand mothers are they HATE SEX with capital letters..
 Hanoverfella
Msg: 64
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/22/2013 6:16:23 PM
Were yous doing doggie style at the time he chewed your clothes? Perhaps the dog was upset your guy was using his moves. :D
 ManOfAdventure28
Msg: 65
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 5:57:58 AM
Have you tried sitting down and talking....to the dog. Telling him how you feel and how his actions make you feel.

I mean Jesus Christ....your bf has let the little sh1t have his way for too long. He shouldn't just be setting down rules when you're around. He should be setting them down full stop. Otherwise the dog will never learn. The dog needs boundaries. This whole let him run around the house and allow him into the bedroom is crazy. The dog should never be allowed in the bedroom. Does your bf's place have doors?? If it does, you might need to take some time out to teach your bf how to use them.

Also I'm struggling to get over you two trying to have sex WHILST the dog is licking you all over?? You said you're a dog lover....but I wasn't prepared for this. I think you might literally be a dog lover. Did you atleast buy it dinner afterwards? Is this some kinky 3some thing that I've not heard about it? Be honest....whose a better lover....your bf or the dog??

The dog needs rules and your bf better man up. If he can't control the little dog.....then I can see problems for him and you further down the line. Is he a complete pushover? Do you stamp your feet and get your way?
 Crsdan57
Msg: 66
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:38:28 AM
Wow, amazing how people will comment on a thread without reading it or complain about how long it is. If it is too long don't read it. Move on to another thread where you can fail trying to make humorous little quips. "Put the dog in another room"...they did that, the dog makes a sound that is intolerable.

This thread is a couple of weeks old and not sure if the OP is even reading responses anymore. I think the first thing you need to do is talk with your BF and try to work out a solution. I am sure he is as frustrated as you are and add embarrassed too as it is his dog. Try to figure out what his thoughts are. I am guessing that at some point a professional trainer will come into the picture. I wouldn't move in until the problem is or at least appears to be on the way to resolution. If you are not considering breaking up now you may be after living in this situation 24/7. You may be thinking it will get better once the dog gets use to you...but what if it doesn't. Also, how will his dog react to your dog once you move in?
 trinity818
Msg: 67
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 2:08:45 PM
In the first place, you cherry-picked her quote. What she actually said was:

Based on your responses to people on here as well as reading your profile

what you chose to go ballistic over was:

reading your profile,

Now I'll admit, I would be a little pissed about the character assasination too, but you didn't exactly "rise above it" and show some class in your response.

Oh that's right you are a 30 something year old with an "average type" body that's divorced.

It's ok to be bitter over your crappy life, just don't take it out on 20 something year olds that obviously have a lot more going on than you. Just an idea.

Have a good day rotting in your bitterness ;)

Go back and read your entire post. It was EXTREMELY bitter. Pot meet kettle.

On topic: The dog's a pain in the ass. Either talk to your boyfriend and help him train the dog, or get the hell out of the relationship. Easy Peasy. See? No drama necessary.
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 68
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 9:34:25 PM
Your problem is - you're not supposed to "be extremely nice" to win a dogs favor and get him to do what you wish.

This is alot like an unruly 2 year old - Somebody's got to take control.
Right now- the dog has it.
Make some rules for this dog and make them happen - not too much worse than an unruly dog if you ask me . I personally wouldn't be able to live with a dog that didn't obey when he needed to.
Jeez, I've seen dogs running through traffic with their owners running after them screaming their name ...just plain not cool and totally dangerous.
 ryuoki
Msg: 69
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/24/2013 6:52:37 AM
You don't need to call Ceasar. Just watch his show. He will have you feeding his dog and what not so you move up the pack. Right now the dog thinks it is above you in the hierarchy. But most of all your BF needs to do his job and show his dog who the alpha is and make it known to the dog you are HIS alpha female.
 jasonh39
Msg: 70
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:11:31 PM
Sounds like the dog is the alpha in that house, and your boyfriend is the beta. That would cause the alpha to throw a fit when the beta is getting attention the alpha wants.
Teach your boyfriend how to be the alpha dog, how to properly (and lovingly) hold it down until it backs into a beta stage or it will always be who is really in control. Maybe some training classes as well.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 71
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:02:10 PM
OK, the dog needs to be trained, probably by a professional working with your boyfriend.

Where is the roommate going when you move in?

Either make the commitment to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the dog or break up with him over the dog.

And here's the thing, that's total hogwash about your not disciplining the dog. It is a focking dog, and just for the record it is hogwash too that if you are living with the guy you don't discipline a kid. You do not put an adult in a position where a dog or a child has more authority in a home within which an adult is living. Can we all just imagine how much fun some children would be if they knew that the other adult could not "tell them what to do," etc.?

Now, one may defer to the parent but if mom/dad is gone, stepdad/stepmom should be able to handle things based on conversations with the significant other about acceptable discipline. Conversely there are some boundaries that don't exist with a biological parent. Similar with the dog. If you are going to live there and your boyfriend won't discipline the dog you need to do it or you will spend the next decade of your life wanting to off the dog. Small dogs, btw, live much longer than large dogs.

I have two large, one medium, and one small dog, he's a terrier mix and he's not psycho. If he was I'd sound proof a crate and have zero problem locking him up so I could have a few moments of sanity in my own home. The dog's a spoiled brat who has monopolized your boyfriend's attention since he brought him home. Your boyfriend has let him do it, not the dog's fault.
 TheWindingRoad
Msg: 72
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/28/2013 12:35:24 AM
[QUOTE]told my boyfriend a few moths ago, yes I love dogs, I love my dog; but there is no damn way in hell I am treating my dog better than another human being for instance. I see a lot of dog owners do that and to each their own, but that's not something I would tolerate for myself. [QUOTE]

Well see, you identified the problem right here, but yet you refuse to do anything about it....so enjoy your leash, because you're the one that's being treated like a dog....and by the way that's excellent insight, but you are allowing your feelings for this boyfriend to cloud your judgement.

On a side note, this is a very disturbing phenomenon that I see quite often, people equating their animals to humans or even better.
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 73
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/29/2013 11:38:53 PM
Animal behavior is my profession. The dog needs a trainer who rehabs the owner. I saw a red flag that you didn't seem to catch in the rest of the drama. You said the dog has "long claws." Unclipped nails long enough to scratch mean serious neglect, which also relates to a poor relationship between this man and his companion. It means he doesn't care about the dog's health and comfort, and that it's a long time between vet/groomer visits (if ever).

There are serious underlying issues here with this man. He won't care properly for you, either. I think you already know it. And please, if you see him again, insist he gets the claws trimmed.
 cooldog65
Msg: 74
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/30/2013 6:29:56 AM
Talk about a c*ck blocking dog... yikes!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 75
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/30/2013 11:32:50 AM

Unclipped nails long enough to scratch mean serious neglect, which also relates to a poor relationship between this man and his companion. It means he doesn't care about the dog's health and comfort, and that it's a long time between vet/groomer visits (if ever).

Good catch. I should've spotted that too. The dog I mentioned helping with earlier in the thread at least got ordinary grooming! This one isn't even being cared for, never mind trained.

This guy is just a lousy pet owner. It could be pure ignorance, but in the first-world situation applying here, I'm inclined to think it speaks to character. Because anyone with a grade-school education, local libraries and bookstores and Internet access, and available veterinarians and trainers, can learn how to care for an animal. The only reason not to is that you don't care.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog