Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hanoverfella
Msg: 64
My Boyfriend's DogPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Were yous doing doggie style at the time he chewed your clothes? Perhaps the dog was upset your guy was using his moves. :D
 ManOfAdventure28
Msg: 65
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 5:57:58 AM
Have you tried sitting down and talking....to the dog. Telling him how you feel and how his actions make you feel.

I mean Jesus Christ....your bf has let the little sh1t have his way for too long. He shouldn't just be setting down rules when you're around. He should be setting them down full stop. Otherwise the dog will never learn. The dog needs boundaries. This whole let him run around the house and allow him into the bedroom is crazy. The dog should never be allowed in the bedroom. Does your bf's place have doors?? If it does, you might need to take some time out to teach your bf how to use them.

Also I'm struggling to get over you two trying to have sex WHILST the dog is licking you all over?? You said you're a dog lover....but I wasn't prepared for this. I think you might literally be a dog lover. Did you atleast buy it dinner afterwards? Is this some kinky 3some thing that I've not heard about it? Be honest....whose a better lover....your bf or the dog??

The dog needs rules and your bf better man up. If he can't control the little dog.....then I can see problems for him and you further down the line. Is he a complete pushover? Do you stamp your feet and get your way?
 Crsdan57
Msg: 66
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 7:38:28 AM
Wow, amazing how people will comment on a thread without reading it or complain about how long it is. If it is too long don't read it. Move on to another thread where you can fail trying to make humorous little quips. "Put the dog in another room"...they did that, the dog makes a sound that is intolerable.

This thread is a couple of weeks old and not sure if the OP is even reading responses anymore. I think the first thing you need to do is talk with your BF and try to work out a solution. I am sure he is as frustrated as you are and add embarrassed too as it is his dog. Try to figure out what his thoughts are. I am guessing that at some point a professional trainer will come into the picture. I wouldn't move in until the problem is or at least appears to be on the way to resolution. If you are not considering breaking up now you may be after living in this situation 24/7. You may be thinking it will get better once the dog gets use to you...but what if it doesn't. Also, how will his dog react to your dog once you move in?
 trinity818
Msg: 67
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 2:08:45 PM
In the first place, you cherry-picked her quote. What she actually said was:

Based on your responses to people on here as well as reading your profile

what you chose to go ballistic over was:

reading your profile,

Now I'll admit, I would be a little pissed about the character assasination too, but you didn't exactly "rise above it" and show some class in your response.

Oh that's right you are a 30 something year old with an "average type" body that's divorced.

It's ok to be bitter over your crappy life, just don't take it out on 20 something year olds that obviously have a lot more going on than you. Just an idea.

Have a good day rotting in your bitterness ;)

Go back and read your entire post. It was EXTREMELY bitter. Pot meet kettle.

On topic: The dog's a pain in the ass. Either talk to your boyfriend and help him train the dog, or get the hell out of the relationship. Easy Peasy. See? No drama necessary.
 Bachelorette.Number1
Msg: 68
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/23/2013 9:34:25 PM
Your problem is - you're not supposed to "be extremely nice" to win a dogs favor and get him to do what you wish.

This is alot like an unruly 2 year old - Somebody's got to take control.
Right now- the dog has it.
Make some rules for this dog and make them happen - not too much worse than an unruly dog if you ask me . I personally wouldn't be able to live with a dog that didn't obey when he needed to.
Jeez, I've seen dogs running through traffic with their owners running after them screaming their name ...just plain not cool and totally dangerous.
 ryuoki
Msg: 69
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/24/2013 6:52:37 AM
You don't need to call Ceasar. Just watch his show. He will have you feeding his dog and what not so you move up the pack. Right now the dog thinks it is above you in the hierarchy. But most of all your BF needs to do his job and show his dog who the alpha is and make it known to the dog you are HIS alpha female.
 jasonh39
Msg: 70
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/26/2013 8:11:31 PM
Sounds like the dog is the alpha in that house, and your boyfriend is the beta. That would cause the alpha to throw a fit when the beta is getting attention the alpha wants.
Teach your boyfriend how to be the alpha dog, how to properly (and lovingly) hold it down until it backs into a beta stage or it will always be who is really in control. Maybe some training classes as well.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 71
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/26/2013 10:02:10 PM
OK, the dog needs to be trained, probably by a professional working with your boyfriend.

Where is the roommate going when you move in?

Either make the commitment to deal with the idiosyncrasies of the dog or break up with him over the dog.

And here's the thing, that's total hogwash about your not disciplining the dog. It is a focking dog, and just for the record it is hogwash too that if you are living with the guy you don't discipline a kid. You do not put an adult in a position where a dog or a child has more authority in a home within which an adult is living. Can we all just imagine how much fun some children would be if they knew that the other adult could not "tell them what to do," etc.?

Now, one may defer to the parent but if mom/dad is gone, stepdad/stepmom should be able to handle things based on conversations with the significant other about acceptable discipline. Conversely there are some boundaries that don't exist with a biological parent. Similar with the dog. If you are going to live there and your boyfriend won't discipline the dog you need to do it or you will spend the next decade of your life wanting to off the dog. Small dogs, btw, live much longer than large dogs.

I have two large, one medium, and one small dog, he's a terrier mix and he's not psycho. If he was I'd sound proof a crate and have zero problem locking him up so I could have a few moments of sanity in my own home. The dog's a spoiled brat who has monopolized your boyfriend's attention since he brought him home. Your boyfriend has let him do it, not the dog's fault.
 TheWindingRoad
Msg: 72
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/28/2013 12:35:24 AM
[QUOTE]told my boyfriend a few moths ago, yes I love dogs, I love my dog; but there is no damn way in hell I am treating my dog better than another human being for instance. I see a lot of dog owners do that and to each their own, but that's not something I would tolerate for myself. [QUOTE]

Well see, you identified the problem right here, but yet you refuse to do anything about it....so enjoy your leash, because you're the one that's being treated like a dog....and by the way that's excellent insight, but you are allowing your feelings for this boyfriend to cloud your judgement.

On a side note, this is a very disturbing phenomenon that I see quite often, people equating their animals to humans or even better.
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 73
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/29/2013 11:38:53 PM
Animal behavior is my profession. The dog needs a trainer who rehabs the owner. I saw a red flag that you didn't seem to catch in the rest of the drama. You said the dog has "long claws." Unclipped nails long enough to scratch mean serious neglect, which also relates to a poor relationship between this man and his companion. It means he doesn't care about the dog's health and comfort, and that it's a long time between vet/groomer visits (if ever).

There are serious underlying issues here with this man. He won't care properly for you, either. I think you already know it. And please, if you see him again, insist he gets the claws trimmed.
 cooldog65
Msg: 74
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/30/2013 6:29:56 AM
Talk about a c*ck blocking dog... yikes!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 75
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 5/30/2013 11:32:50 AM

Unclipped nails long enough to scratch mean serious neglect, which also relates to a poor relationship between this man and his companion. It means he doesn't care about the dog's health and comfort, and that it's a long time between vet/groomer visits (if ever).

Good catch. I should've spotted that too. The dog I mentioned helping with earlier in the thread at least got ordinary grooming! This one isn't even being cared for, never mind trained.

This guy is just a lousy pet owner. It could be pure ignorance, but in the first-world situation applying here, I'm inclined to think it speaks to character. Because anyone with a grade-school education, local libraries and bookstores and Internet access, and available veterinarians and trainers, can learn how to care for an animal. The only reason not to is that you don't care.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 76
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/2/2013 11:34:55 PM
OP, I haven't read every post to this thread and I'm certainly not familiar with another(s) post about your boyfriend but given the comments, have you considered what a parenting nightmare this guy is going to be?

I presume that you plan on having children. This man is a spoiled brat who apparently is dependent on his mother and his dog is a spoiled brat. If you have children with this guy good luck with that because parenting with someone who has no frigging idea how to parent beyond the initial new parent ignorance is not a fun place to be.

Children need to learn the word no, and this dude can't apparently say no to his dog because he thinks the dog's bullshit is cute. He'll think the kids' bullshit is cute too or he will be incapable of maintaining a schedule or engaging in any disciplinary action, so you will get to be the bad guy constantly, again not a fun place to be.

My daughter and I have talked a lot about how my generation started doing better with co-parenting and maybe yours will do better picking significant others. If this was your daughter, would you recommend that she seek out a relationship with a man who cannot support himself, whose mother is going to be totally up in the middle of the relationship no matter how much he denies it or manages to keep the meddling from your attention for X amount of time, who will not help you but hinder you in raising a family and who will bail in a heart beat should for example, you become exceedingly ill or require any real support from him. You spend a lot of time justifying and explaining his behavior when a relationship really should not be so hard.

People seem to think that preserving a relationship is always the goal when sometimes you should do the smart thing and walk away. The dog is currently driving you insane and you are only there on the weekends, think about it, particularly because if you do have kids, you are setting them up for a lifetime of neglect from their father.
 five-marie
Msg: 77
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/3/2013 5:45:16 AM
You know that if the dog bothers you this much now it's going to be worse when you move in. What is it with some people and their pets? I was married to a man who treated the dog better than myself and our children. Dated a man who carried around his little dog like a teddy bear and refused to shop anywhere his "baby" wasn't allowed.
Nothing wrong with loving your pet, as you do, everything wrong with allowing a pet to disturb/upset/bother you, the roommate and probably anyone else who visits.
I know I wouldn't move in with this being such an issue and I would tell him this. Explain that his dog obviously isn't happy and he needs to take control of this. I also wouldn't want to see your dog pick up these bad behaviors.
One poster said if this is your worst problem you're lucky. Wrong. A badly behaved dog running a household is going to make everyone miserable.
 dobbie101
Msg: 78
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/3/2013 6:07:54 AM
What a load of tripe this thread is. Pitiable... absolutely bloody pathetic. OP, I can only assume that it is still going on simply because you haven't anything better to do than cry boo hoo poor me. So many serious answers...choose one...accept any of them...then do something instead of demonstrating your contemptible inadequacies. At your current rate of action your butt will hang low with barnacles. Shoot the boyfriend, on second thoughts don't bother he probably wouldn't give a damn. The dog does not like you either...
 sddude
Msg: 79
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/6/2013 8:04:29 AM
too funny , i had a weiner dog become jealous of my GF so it would chew on her clothes in the closet and on the clothsline , yes in the crotch area even with my cloths mixed in , hahaha

I am a spanker , had lots of dogs all my life , I have 4 dogs right now all well behaved, what several good spankings will do. That GF is long gone and the dog did stop tearing at her cloths, I hug and am very affectionate with my dogs so they know bad is bad and bad leads to ouchie spanking.

It is easy , tell your guy and have him take action.
 cooldog65
Msg: 80
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/6/2013 4:22:01 PM
OP...Did the boyfriend give it to you doggy style?
 grantfl80
Msg: 81
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/9/2013 4:01:42 PM
I quit reading after "long story short. I have two dogs," and I wouldn't trade them for anything else in the world...unfortunately you fit into the "everything else in the world" category.

G
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 82
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 6/10/2013 2:26:59 AM

If you have children with this guy good luck with that because parenting with someone who has no frigging idea how to parent beyond the initial new parent ignorance is not a fun place to be.

Very good insight. Dogs are a LOT easier than kids. I am forever grateful that I caught my guy teasing a timid rescue dog. I made up my mind then and there, our respective genes would never mingle. Future events proved my judgment sound.
 mateo45
Msg: 83
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/4/2013 1:35:56 PM
Anyone who allows their pet to decide their human relationships to begin with, obviously has a few problems with ''boundaries'' and ''attachment'' (among other issues). So my attitude with the ''pet obsessed'' is, if an animal is their idea of a ''best friend'', then either they need to RAISE THE BAR on their definition of a ''relationship''... or else I really gotta LOWER mine (...lol)!
 Thisguy52
Msg: 84
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/5/2013 3:04:51 PM
Some people have no K9 social skills and they haven't a clue when it comes to dog training or proper dog discipline. Your boyfriend is one of these people. He needs to watch Cesar Milan. Maybe you should suggest watching it with him.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 85
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:20:51 AM
Train the dog..

How hard can that be? Get help if you don't have a clue.

Im sure you have trained people in your life how to behave around you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 86
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 2:41:37 PM
The dog should be taken care of for life by a responsible owner - your SO seems not to be one. He signed up for something and didn't really put a lot into it. Asking him to get rid of the dog would be the wrong approach.

I just got a rott puppy and I'm training him now so that when he's 120 lbs he doesn't have horrible manners around strangers...it's hard sometimes to ignore the cute face when he does wrong and be stern with him, but I always imagine him doing something I don't like at 3 or 4 times the size, and it becomes much less cute. If you really put the time and attention into him and keep him exercised he's pretty good for a baby already. It's when you don't pay attention or put time aside, you're rushed, you're frustrated, etc that he is harder to deal with.

I do know that people tend not to be so strict with smaller dogs because they can do less damage, and because their size makes their owners treat them more like helpless children. A lot of the crazy behavior like this comes from not being directed better or let know something isn't acceptable by an owner, or leftover puppy stuff that wasn't curbed, or from a dog either not being socialized much or not being told they don't run things (no matter their size).

None of the stuff you're explaining is the dog's fault - he only does what he's allowed to do - you take time and attention from his owner, and he resents it, but isn't being corrected. Personally, I'd walk in with a different attitude and get this dog to respect you more than his owner - take a half hour and walk him; sit with him and give him some one on one but in a way that works better for what he's doing. Make him your second dog, it could end up that he obeys you when you're there and tortures your SO when you're not, maybe it'll get him to understand what he's not accomplishing. You can actually become a stable responsible structure in his life, and he may respond well to it, since it seems to be missing.

P.S. I agree with the future children comment, and the dog being Alpha. No doubt your boyfriend is behind that dog in his pack.
 moraima
Msg: 87
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:31:00 PM
"I just got a rott puppy and I'm training him now so that when he's 120 lbs he doesn't have horrible manners around strangers.."

WIP you are a women after my own heart.
I have a history of two + decades of taking on Rotties and GSD that others have poorly trained. I cherish everything I have learned from those dogs. All the dogs out weighed me by by a large amount. I used to walked one rottie weighing 140lbs., and one GSD weighing 120lbs. at same time. They wouldn't even think of pulling me or getting out of line. Why...........because I learned how to train. Learn how to be Alpha. Why..............because I knew that was what they and I needed.

I have thought for years, that people should be required to do a written examination, and a practical practical examination before they (not the dog) are granted a dog license.

I wouldn't have 5 mins. time to waist on anyone who wasn't smart enough to have a well groomed, well mannered dog.

OP, the dog isn't the problem. Your boyfriend is. Normally, I would never suggest trying to change anyone in anyway. However, in this case, I would read the riot act to the boyfriend (for the sake of the dog) that things had to change STAT!
 Celina1991
Msg: 88
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:43:37 PM
Your profile is contradictory. You claim to be in a relationship and have a boyfriend, be not single and not looking, yet your profile states you are looking for a man and a relationship???? Perhaps you should focus on that rather than a dog.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog