Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sunsunsun4
Msg: 82
My Boyfriend's DogPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

If you have children with this guy good luck with that because parenting with someone who has no frigging idea how to parent beyond the initial new parent ignorance is not a fun place to be.

Very good insight. Dogs are a LOT easier than kids. I am forever grateful that I caught my guy teasing a timid rescue dog. I made up my mind then and there, our respective genes would never mingle. Future events proved my judgment sound.
 mateo45
Msg: 83
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/4/2013 1:35:56 PM
Anyone who allows their pet to decide their human relationships to begin with, obviously has a few problems with ''boundaries'' and ''attachment'' (among other issues). So my attitude with the ''pet obsessed'' is, if an animal is their idea of a ''best friend'', then either they need to RAISE THE BAR on their definition of a ''relationship''... or else I really gotta LOWER mine (...lol)!
 Thisguy52
Msg: 84
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/5/2013 3:04:51 PM
Some people have no K9 social skills and they haven't a clue when it comes to dog training or proper dog discipline. Your boyfriend is one of these people. He needs to watch Cesar Milan. Maybe you should suggest watching it with him.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 85
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:20:51 AM
Train the dog..

How hard can that be? Get help if you don't have a clue.

Im sure you have trained people in your life how to behave around you.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 86
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 2:41:37 PM
The dog should be taken care of for life by a responsible owner - your SO seems not to be one. He signed up for something and didn't really put a lot into it. Asking him to get rid of the dog would be the wrong approach.

I just got a rott puppy and I'm training him now so that when he's 120 lbs he doesn't have horrible manners around strangers...it's hard sometimes to ignore the cute face when he does wrong and be stern with him, but I always imagine him doing something I don't like at 3 or 4 times the size, and it becomes much less cute. If you really put the time and attention into him and keep him exercised he's pretty good for a baby already. It's when you don't pay attention or put time aside, you're rushed, you're frustrated, etc that he is harder to deal with.

I do know that people tend not to be so strict with smaller dogs because they can do less damage, and because their size makes their owners treat them more like helpless children. A lot of the crazy behavior like this comes from not being directed better or let know something isn't acceptable by an owner, or leftover puppy stuff that wasn't curbed, or from a dog either not being socialized much or not being told they don't run things (no matter their size).

None of the stuff you're explaining is the dog's fault - he only does what he's allowed to do - you take time and attention from his owner, and he resents it, but isn't being corrected. Personally, I'd walk in with a different attitude and get this dog to respect you more than his owner - take a half hour and walk him; sit with him and give him some one on one but in a way that works better for what he's doing. Make him your second dog, it could end up that he obeys you when you're there and tortures your SO when you're not, maybe it'll get him to understand what he's not accomplishing. You can actually become a stable responsible structure in his life, and he may respond well to it, since it seems to be missing.

P.S. I agree with the future children comment, and the dog being Alpha. No doubt your boyfriend is behind that dog in his pack.
 moraima
Msg: 87
view profile
History
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:31:00 PM
"I just got a rott puppy and I'm training him now so that when he's 120 lbs he doesn't have horrible manners around strangers.."

WIP you are a women after my own heart.
I have a history of two + decades of taking on Rotties and GSD that others have poorly trained. I cherish everything I have learned from those dogs. All the dogs out weighed me by by a large amount. I used to walked one rottie weighing 140lbs., and one GSD weighing 120lbs. at same time. They wouldn't even think of pulling me or getting out of line. Why...........because I learned how to train. Learn how to be Alpha. Why..............because I knew that was what they and I needed.

I have thought for years, that people should be required to do a written examination, and a practical practical examination before they (not the dog) are granted a dog license.

I wouldn't have 5 mins. time to waist on anyone who wasn't smart enough to have a well groomed, well mannered dog.

OP, the dog isn't the problem. Your boyfriend is. Normally, I would never suggest trying to change anyone in anyway. However, in this case, I would read the riot act to the boyfriend (for the sake of the dog) that things had to change STAT!
 Celina1991
Msg: 88
My Boyfriend's Dog
Posted: 7/6/2013 4:43:37 PM
Your profile is contradictory. You claim to be in a relationship and have a boyfriend, be not single and not looking, yet your profile states you are looking for a man and a relationship???? Perhaps you should focus on that rather than a dog.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > My Boyfriend's Dog