Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 hounddoug
Msg: 34
How much of a difference do pictures make?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

Views DO NOT mean anyone is interested in you!

I have pages and pages of views - but I don't have messages from everyone

And I had more views of my profile when I did NOT have a picture. :p
 LathaMath
Msg: 35
How much of a difference do pictures make?
Posted: 5/19/2013 3:50:31 PM

I have no picture and a nothing profile right now that says "for forums only" and I have gotten unsolicited messages from around 10 women and 17 pages of confirmed views.
What did you put for level of income? :)
 PugDude1971
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/19/2013 8:14:36 PM
I don't see a problem using older pictures as long as they are dated. I have a number of pics dating from this month back to 2006, all dated and demonstrating me doing things that matter to me, like hiking and traveling. My 2006 pic is from a trip to Thailand, which has attracted some attention. Luckily, my body type hasn't changed all that much over the years so I look fairly consistent throughout.

So I don't mind if a woman uses older pics as long as I know as much. But there should be at least one current photo.
 c_deacon
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2013 8:50:42 AM
Why not use this site, or any social site for that matter, as just another tool in your quest for finding others to know and enjoy?

Think of POF like a car dealership that has hundreds of pictures of the kind of cars you like and might be interested in seeing up close and personal, and maybe owning one day. Once you see what you like, do you not usually go down to that dealership and look at the vehicle in person? Do you not walk around it, sit in it, take it for a drive and then decide if it just might be the one you want? You might do this with 10 to 20 vehicles that you seem interested in, and hopefully one or two will be in you price range, your desires, and have all those whistle and bells that make you happy. Then, you have to negotiate with the owner about price, warranty, repairs, etc., and you may end up with it, or move on to the next.

Imagine how many of us use to shop for cars in the old days, taking a lot of time driving from dealership to dealership, and seeing what is available that may peak our interest. Some just find their choice immediately, some compromise, and others will take as long as they need to, before buying that choice of theirs. The internet has helped many of us do the searching on line, and have it be more convenient, but then we still have to do the work of making sure that the choice we see, is really what we want, and that means going there in person and finding out.

So is it with POF and other social sites, and the convenience of searching is there, but the hard work of weeding all down to that one and finding out, still exists. Some can go down to their local bar and find another immediately, some compromise, and yet many of will take the time to find the right one, even if it takes many many bars, clubs, social groups, etc., and for me, POF just adds another way to do the same thing!!

cd
 Vannili
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 5/20/2013 9:16:12 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^

Oh, I am so right that men compare us to cars, thank God ! I am not a Taxi, I am a vintage Mustang Sports car,I am well taken cared, my chassis are still great. I only go out on Hot August Nights and paraded myself to the onlookers and any takers..

Vannili aka Mustang Sally.
 Beatkunedo90
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/26/2013 4:18:23 PM
Judging how my last date went, profile pics are almost as important as the rest of the profile itself (especially since I keep getting matched with women who don't like writing anything other than "message me"). Photos, though they can obviously be doctored, are more truthful than anything else on the profile. My last first meet was with a woman with an "athletic" body type who only used blurry photos of her face as profile pics. As you can imagine, she lied.

We all hate being deceived, so out of respect for each other as human beings, we owe it to each other to be as honest as possible.
 FSU9144
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/26/2013 9:16:31 PM
It makes a big difference for me. I feel it doesn't matter how what outfits I wear, I even put up recent pictures of me wearing an off-the shoulder top, and I still find those avoiding me on here. So I'm really close to giving up.
 Hanoverfella
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/27/2013 7:59:12 AM
I believe pictures make or break the deal regardless of how well written their profile may be. I have been disappointed twice now by women with no pictures of themselves, just went by their description of themselves, never again, changed my settings, no first message if no pictures, may cut down my options, but only being in my forties, not ready to settle! and why waste each others time?
 FSU9144
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/27/2013 11:09:54 AM
Thanks Bibliophile.
 Anonymous..1
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/27/2013 8:28:40 PM
The picture issue is a tough one. I believe people know if the picture looks like them. I have met people that look nothing like I thought nor their pictures. I even learned one guy had his younger brothers' pic on, he denied but I know it was. I wonder how can that be that some people look nothing like the pic. There is an intentional action and they are covering up for a reason. I know I have never met anyone that didn't say wow you look just like your pictures. I keep them very current.
I would say make sure the picture is a good representation of how you look.
If a picture does not look like the person then I will not get to know them further.
 Luthion
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 12:37:53 AM
I like people having photos simply because I prefer to have an image in my head of what the person I'm talking to looks like. I've never discounted talking to a person because of a lack of one though.

It's part of one's identity in a rather intrinsic way, but its not everything. There is far more to learn about someone beyond their face.

Am I right in saying that my pictures are of very poor quality, then?

Your third photo is so dark you can barely see it, but the rest are perfectly fine. I think your second and firth photos are better then the one you're currently using though. Your smile really lights up your face. Don't hide it. <3

Is getting professional shots a waste of time?

Unless you want to attract people who only desire manufactured, carefully coordinated beauty, yes, it's absolutely a waste of them. I don't get the vibe that that's the kind of person you're looking to attract.
 77Ryan
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 5/28/2013 10:15:59 AM
Pictures make a huge difference. They aren't the only thing that matters, but they are extremely important, to women as much as guys. I don't send out first messages and generally would get a message every other week or so for the years I have been on this site, maybe three in a good week.

I recently changed my picture to show the time I have spent in the gym over the past year. Nothing else in my profile has changed whatsoever. I currently have three pages worth of messages sent from women saying Hi and wanting to chat. I know how braggy that sounds, and I won't lie it does feed the ego. But I thought it would help illustrate the point about pictures being important. Also, a few messages into talking they generally ask....."which of your pictures are the most current?" Even though all my pics have dates on them.
 Your_Move
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2013 2:20:28 PM
Is getting professional shots a waste of time?

+1 to "that depends on the kind of guy you're trying to attract" - and even then, it can depend on what kind of professional shots - the "Glamour Shots" type - the standard "two hands on the collar holding it open a little" are just soooooo....I can't even find the right word....but they leave me palm-facing. Ditto the "laying on her back with her hair sprawled" - professional or otherwise....but I've seen some that had professional watermarks on them, that looked classy and not over the top. More confused now than before? :D

Also +1 to your photo #2 being better than the dark ones - but I do think your current pic is the best of the group.
 sundress_1
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/29/2013 8:06:15 PM
Pictures and stats ( height, smoking, having / wanting children etc ) are often the first things people look at. If they like your pictures and stats, then they might read the rest of your profile.
 hounddoug
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/29/2013 8:15:31 PM

Oh, I am so right that men compare us to cars, thank God ! I am not a Taxi, I am a vintage Mustang Sports car,I am well taken cared, my chassis are still great.

Men do like nice headlights and bumpers, too; and listening to the sound of the engine when it's being revved up.
 ImpassionedAdventure
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/29/2013 9:56:10 PM
Whether we want to believe it or not, visual is the catalyst for most people. There is a reason billions of dollars are spent every day on advertising.

Picture Fubars I see in woman's profiles.

1. The self portrait bathroom mirror picture.
2. Every pic in your profile is with you and your friends. (tells me you don't have time to really be dating, your spending way too much time socializing)
3. Cat pictures, sorry I am a dog lover and more then one pic with your cat is a big turn off for me.
4. Small dogs, sorry I am large breed dog lover.
5. Every pic of you has a drink in your hand.
6. Every pic is a studio picture. can you say Photoshop and air brushing.
7. No outdoor pictures in the profile. Natural sun light is the by far the best lighting you can have to truly see a person.
8. Distance photos.
9. Forced smile, for me its a sign of insecurity.
10. Multiple lingerie pics. Really what are you advertising for?
11. Pics that have the old POF logo on the bottom. You have been on this site way too long.

Those are just a few of them.
 Vannili
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2013 8:20:03 AM
I learned that it is better to check a real person and not relay on a picture. Pictures are only a description on how you will recognize the person whether s/h is with friends,/dog/cat/ect . And I will not waste my mind energy personally judging that a person in a nitty picky way...... I met a POF man he has a casual shot, but his picture is very captivating and a ladies favorite. So I did the first moved and met him. According to him ,he did not get a message from those ladies, that was on his profile, they just make him their favorites.

The bottom line is I will not match him to my worst enemy.

Pictures doesn't make a man or a woman whether they posed in a lingeries/bikini or a swimming trunks.
 NonamousDog
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/30/2013 12:40:41 PM
Having a picture has become a required part of the 'game' of online dating. The threads dealing with the subject of pictures display a large amount of social pressure on POFers to 1) have a pic on your profile, and 2) not to contact anyone who doesn't. If you thought online dating was a way to avoid the bogus rules and judgementalism of the offline social scene, you were mistaken.

These threads also provide a venue for some to brag about how many messages they get and how many dates they've had in the seven or eight years they've been on here.
 Luthion
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 5/31/2013 12:24:30 PM
That new picture is great. It's clear, natural, high quality, and shows you smiling.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 58
Posted: 9/10/2013 3:12:14 PM
I looked in one woman's closet and she had a bush, large boulder, a fence post, a clump of tall grass, some kitchen cabinets and what looked like a horse hanging in there....

I post pics so people can get a general idea of what I look like....
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 59
Posted: 9/12/2013 10:04:35 AM
"A picture is worth a thousand words". LOL 1-1000, smiling, grinning, humor, outdoors, active, family, etc. etc. ? Got the picture?
 fedexmale
Msg: 60
Posted: 9/12/2013 1:55:35 PM
Unless their pic makes them look butt-ugly, or like Shamu, meet them... some people have some really poor pictures. That said, there are plenty of people who have pics which look better than they do.... but is it really going to kill you to have coffee or a drink with somebody? - I can't tell you how many times I've seen a pic that made a person look only average and then it turns out they are a bombshell.... the lesson here? - don't prejudge too much. And quite frankly, many of you could use the practice dates.
 WeeDeeter
Msg: 61
Posted: 9/12/2013 2:03:21 PM
I met my last BF here in 2006. His pics were ho-hum...average. I met him because we'd built up a rapport in the forums. He was in town..what the heck.
WELL! I just about fell over when I saw him. 6'2" blonde, peircing blue eyes, a million watt smile. He was and is gorgeous (complete slut boy)
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 62
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:06:19 PM
Pictures make a huge difference on the type of people who respond to you. The picture itself says a lot too. All the basic things people say about pics are true - no body shot, for example - what are you hiding? Why be ashamed, you are who you are. Only body shots - only wants sex. No photo - 9/10 when a guy with no photo messages me, he is married. I ask, and that is usually the answer. (I love the - it's because of my job.....)

That said - I personally respond to just about everyone, as you never know who could be super interesting. Haven't you ever known a really hot person, gotten to know them and they were awful people, then suddenly not so attractive? So I am willing to give people a shot. (but not from an ugly guy whose first message is 'sup - actually, not a hot one either)
 hounddoug
Msg: 63
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:20:39 PM

The bottom line is if you have a picture that meets an individual's criteria, that person will either click and read your profile or they won't.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >