Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lostspirit1
Msg: 64
How much of a difference do pictures make?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
You can change your pics 1000 times but in the end your Appearance won't change that dramatically.
Unless something out of the ordinary has happened.
Its something we just have to live with.

If you are a Work of Fine Art!!!!! Good luck to you,
If not good luck to you................
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 65
How much of a difference do pictures make?
Posted: 9/13/2013 11:09:52 AM
"Why no replies?" is the constant lament of men in the forums. Inevitably they look sullen with dark, unsmiling photos. Who wants to be around a sullen, miserable guy? No one. Listen up, guys:

Women will see your main photo as a tiny pic on their cell phone screens. If your main photo is not clear, bright and attractive, they move on. A genuine smile is inviting, warm and attractive. Women want to see your eyes and smile.

Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cellphone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling. Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Take 24 pictures outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8.
 hounddoug
Msg: 66
Posted: 9/14/2013 7:55:55 AM
LiterateHiker you should extend you advice here to the women as well. No bathroom mirror pics, no fuzzy pictures, no hats, sunglasses, and especially no alcohol, no pictures with female friends or men.

And maybe you can explain to me how women constantly lament about men only being visual creatures; yet the advice you give the guys is to appeal to the women visually.
 floral2
Msg: 67
Posted: 9/14/2013 8:49:33 AM

Pictures and stats ( height, smoking, having / wanting children etc ) are often the first things people look at. If they like your pictures and stats, then they might read the rest of your profile.

I agree.
 35brock
Msg: 68
Posted: 9/14/2013 9:39:52 AM
Please get new photos taken outdoors for better lighting, and with a quality digital camera, not a fuzzy cellphone. Your main photo should be a head-and-shoulder shot, showing you SMILING and looking at the camera. You also need one full body shot, again taken outdoors and smiling. Other pictures should show you outdoors, doing activities you enjoy. No hats, sunglasses, alcohol or stupid poses. You must be in every picture. Take 24 pictures outdoors with a digital camera, wearing different clothes in various locations. Upload the best 8.

One clear face shot and 1 full body shot is fine. For the most part, I don't care what a woman does with her other photos. A woman wearing sunglasses in one of her secondary photos is okay. Many of the photos that people on POF complain about on ( a person with someone from the opposite sex, dead animals, cars, alcohol etc ) don't bother me.
 Vannili
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 11:11:48 AM
^^^^^^
It doesn't bother me too, whom ever he poses and what he poses with, as long as he is recognizable when I "see" him.
People complain of anything, I bet that is the way how they roll, because their dating life sucks when it is a big ZERO.
 Fleuron
Msg: 70
Posted: 9/14/2013 11:39:35 AM

And maybe you can explain to me how women constantly lament about men only being visual creatures; yet the advice you give the guys is to appeal to the women visually.

That doesn’t even make sense.

“Women constantly lament” about it, do we? Personally I find the expression, “men are visual creatures blah blah blah” stupid as hell and wouldn’t pay further attention to anyone who uses it, or any other inane meaningless cliché....guess what, women have eyes, too. Surprise! And we know how to use them.

And why would advice to MEN about being visually appealing to women be wrong because women supposedly constantly lament that men are only visual creatures???

So post ugly pics. And good luck to you!

Many of the photos that people on POF complain about on ( a person with someone from the opposite sex, dead animals, cars, alcohol etc ) don't bother me.

How about if they pose in a car getting drunk with a dead animal of the opposite sex?
 hounddoug
Msg: 71
Posted: 9/14/2013 12:57:24 PM

“Women constantly lament” about it, do we? Personally I find the expression, “men are visual creatures blah blah blah” stupid as hell and wouldn’t pay further attention to anyone who uses it, or any other inane meaningless cliché....guess what, women have eyes, too. Surprise! And we know how to use them.

And why would advice to MEN about being visually appealing to women be wrong because women supposedly constantly lament that men are only visual creatures???

I agree with you about the expression being stupid. And I never said women being visually appealing to men is wrong. But I've seen the comment from many women in these forums that men are visual creatures before anything else and the same women deny being like that themselves. You're the first (that I have seen) to say otherwise.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 72
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 3:03:10 PM
quote]One clear face shot and 1 full body shot is fine. For the most part, I don't care what a woman does with her other photos. A woman wearing sunglasses in one of her secondary photos is okay. Many of the photos that people on POF complain about on ( a person with someone from the opposite sex, dead animals, cars, alcohol etc ) don't bother me.

LOL..that's probably because if your like a lot of guys you probably can't even remember the color of your dates eyes :). If your like a lot(most imho) of guys you probably prioritize body anyway. I pretty much agree what you said though but don't want to see dead animals(or too many lives ones also) and the GUY friends in the background can get annoying since often those same guys are Orbiting around those gals waiting for thier turn.When a women sends me a message who has a guy in her pictures(more than one shot) I have been known to respond with a photo with me and a gal.Tit for tat.
 ICtheLite
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 9/15/2013 12:03:02 AM

I've been on a couple of dates so far and the men haven't looked the same as in their pictures.

In general I find that most men I've met look better in person but sometimes they are way off. I have begun to look at men's hair color to decide if the pictures are recent or not, lol. I met one guy for coffee and knew something was off, so I said "How old are you?", like I didn't remember. Obviously he didn't either b/c he said "I don't remember what I said in my profile". Hahahaha.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 74
Posted: 9/15/2013 3:46:59 AM
Every person I have met has looked aged compared to their pics...I didn't say uglier! Pics are very deceiving, that's why I like to see all 8 frames used on profiles....one shot wonders are usually just that.

I had commented on a ladies profile because her screen name was similar to an old one I had....her reply was "I don't date grey haired men"....I replied, not yet!
 Fleuron
Msg: 75
Posted: 9/15/2013 4:05:31 PM

I agree with you about the expression being stupid. And I never said women being visually appealing to men is wrong. But I've seen the comment from many women in these forums that men are visual creatures before anything else and the same women deny being like that themselves. You're the first (that I have seen) to say otherwise.

Your other post was a bit confusing… I think I get what you mean now. :)

Unfortunately, lots of people mindlessly regurgitate platitudes and apparently haven’t realized they have eyes. Stupidity is unattractive no matter what it looks like. IMO.

When a women sends me a message who has a guy in her pictures(more than one shot) I have been known to respond with a photo with me and a gal.Tit for tat.

That’ll show her!
 hounddoug
Msg: 76
Posted: 9/20/2013 7:50:50 PM

ALL the difference.

But also no guarantee that the results will be good. :D
 Steam_Engenius
Msg: 77
Posted: 9/20/2013 8:07:01 PM
They make a huge difference, more so than what is in your profile. Just take your pictures off for a week and see the number of views diminish.

Now for the pictures; some folks are very photogenic and others are not, but just as well, a pic is just a template of what you look like. They don't capture voice inflection, natural smiles, or other quirks that can be attractive. The best thing that a pic can tell us IMO is a person's confidence and respect level in who they are.

As for me, I've only been on very few first meets from PoF, but everyone has looked pretty much the same or better in person as compared to their posted pics.
 hounddoug
Msg: 78
Posted: 9/21/2013 9:20:24 AM

They make a huge difference, more so than what is in your profile. Just take your pictures off for a week and see the number of views diminish.

Interesting. For some, pictures or no pictures, the results remain the same--very few views at all.
 ouija2013
Msg: 79
Posted: 9/21/2013 10:24:22 AM
Private images, lots of views, tons of msgs :/ Just my 2 cents. They know I have private photos for a reason -
besides why a picture might be worth a 1000 words I'd rather hear the story
 JoeBnD
Msg: 80
Posted: 9/21/2013 7:00:28 PM
For me, the pictures are very important. But there is a caveat - most pictures don't do justice to the individual. What I have noticed is I will pass by a profile because the woman just doesn't look all that good in a picture, but when I am out at a restaurant or other venue and I check out the women there, I find that I may think someone is cute but I might think that their picture wouldn't catch my interest. I still have to figure out how to deal with that online.
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 81
Posted: 9/30/2013 3:44:02 PM
^^^^^^If I throw a stick ,will you leave!
Like it says in my profile ,maybe the wrinkles on your face are like a road map to my place.
Don't worry about my pics sweety...the local women around here know me very well as I'm a bit of a celeb....
I'm in the public eye every Thurs, Fri and Saturday night...live.
 activemelaney
Msg: 82
view profile
History
Posted: 10/1/2013 8:58:40 AM
They matter. I don't care about looks, hair, height but do care about lifestyle and hygiene. I want to see a flat stomach. Good teeth. No motorcycle and no dead animals. A guy out hiking or cycling is an instant attraction. I definitely read his profile.

We all have our preferences. Some are nice-to-have and others are deal breakers. A photo is like an ad that keeps you watching instead of going to kitchen for a snack.
 purtykitten
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/3/2013 3:05:38 PM
When I had my picture on I got hundreds of responses. I took it off and now I got like 5, lol. I have been on here a while now. I thought I found my somoene but I was wrong so back again. Have not been real serious about meeting anyone,still have a broken heart, so okay with not many responses right now.
 BayouGirl13
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2013 2:54:03 AM
I have done POF a few times. The first two times I posted pictures and was swamped with msgs.....the majority 1-5 word msgs. I don't think most even read my profile. I moved back to Midwest and am trying POF again. My boss frowns on social media, and does not allow pictures. I have received fewer responses, maybe 30...I compensate by sending them a quick messages vs waiting to be contacted. . I don't look at pictures, I READ profiles. When I respond I address red flags in theirs against mine...smoking, language, distance. I can email a picture privately....100% booked a date. You can tell more from a few written responses and a few chats about social and intellectual chemistry than any picture. I don't think that even the best photo, of the prettiest, most photogenic, people can predict chemistry. Only meeting does that.

I am very uncomfortable with Internet dating. It is unnatural to be working against a mental checklist. I don't have a way to easily meet nice men. POF introduces us. After that, I think we just need to meet and goof off, with light hearts, NO AGENDA, and see what happens. For me, I start as I mean to go...I go to the first date, but after that my dates pick me up, and bring me home. I never buy drinks or food, but I pack picnics, cook food at home...and send leftovers. I don't care how people look, I really care how they are. POF should be like blind dates in college were: your friends gave you a thumbnail sketch, you met, and had a good time. Rarely was it movie spoof waste of time.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/11/2013 2:59:54 PM
Pix make a diff BUT we all know about old pix & photoshopped pix, so they r not the end all be all...

Some folks photograph better, some worse.

There's skype too.

Or just meet for 20-60 mins & see if they really look like their pic...
 traveltrekker
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/16/2013 7:23:42 PM

Pix make a diff BUT we all know about old pix & photoshopped pix, so they r not the end all be all...

Unfortunately, many people, if not most, do tend to make them the "be all and end all".

From the Free Dictionary by Farlex:

"be all and end all": "the quintessential or all-important element".

Some folks photograph better, some worse.

A true fact which tends to get lost in the thinking process online.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/16/2013 8:56:16 PM
none,
I have posted the same pic and profile text with a height of 6-1 and my real height of 5-6.
the one that got responses - the one with the fake height.
find the right lure to what the fish want; and you will find the value of the fish that you pull in.
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/16/2013 9:26:33 PM
When I list my endowment as "modest" I get no views but when I change it to "hung" I get views and messages out the Yin Yang.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >