Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Theme_Pack
Msg: 81
How much of a difference do pictures make?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
^^^^^^If I throw a stick ,will you leave!
Like it says in my profile ,maybe the wrinkles on your face are like a road map to my place.
Don't worry about my pics sweety...the local women around here know me very well as I'm a bit of a celeb....
I'm in the public eye every Thurs, Fri and Saturday night...live.
 activemelaney
Msg: 82
view profile
History
How much of a difference do pictures make?
Posted: 10/1/2013 8:58:40 AM
They matter. I don't care about looks, hair, height but do care about lifestyle and hygiene. I want to see a flat stomach. Good teeth. No motorcycle and no dead animals. A guy out hiking or cycling is an instant attraction. I definitely read his profile.

We all have our preferences. Some are nice-to-have and others are deal breakers. A photo is like an ad that keeps you watching instead of going to kitchen for a snack.
 purtykitten
Msg: 83
Posted: 10/3/2013 3:05:38 PM
When I had my picture on I got hundreds of responses. I took it off and now I got like 5, lol. I have been on here a while now. I thought I found my somoene but I was wrong so back again. Have not been real serious about meeting anyone,still have a broken heart, so okay with not many responses right now.
 BayouGirl13
Msg: 84
view profile
History
Posted: 10/11/2013 2:54:03 AM
I have done POF a few times. The first two times I posted pictures and was swamped with msgs.....the majority 1-5 word msgs. I don't think most even read my profile. I moved back to Midwest and am trying POF again. My boss frowns on social media, and does not allow pictures. I have received fewer responses, maybe 30...I compensate by sending them a quick messages vs waiting to be contacted. . I don't look at pictures, I READ profiles. When I respond I address red flags in theirs against mine...smoking, language, distance. I can email a picture privately....100% booked a date. You can tell more from a few written responses and a few chats about social and intellectual chemistry than any picture. I don't think that even the best photo, of the prettiest, most photogenic, people can predict chemistry. Only meeting does that.

I am very uncomfortable with Internet dating. It is unnatural to be working against a mental checklist. I don't have a way to easily meet nice men. POF introduces us. After that, I think we just need to meet and goof off, with light hearts, NO AGENDA, and see what happens. For me, I start as I mean to go...I go to the first date, but after that my dates pick me up, and bring me home. I never buy drinks or food, but I pack picnics, cook food at home...and send leftovers. I don't care how people look, I really care how they are. POF should be like blind dates in college were: your friends gave you a thumbnail sketch, you met, and had a good time. Rarely was it movie spoof waste of time.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 86
Posted: 10/11/2013 2:59:54 PM
Pix make a diff BUT we all know about old pix & photoshopped pix, so they r not the end all be all...

Some folks photograph better, some worse.

There's skype too.

Or just meet for 20-60 mins & see if they really look like their pic...
 traveltrekker
Msg: 88
Posted: 10/16/2013 7:23:42 PM

Pix make a diff BUT we all know about old pix & photoshopped pix, so they r not the end all be all...

Unfortunately, many people, if not most, do tend to make them the "be all and end all".

From the Free Dictionary by Farlex:

"be all and end all": "the quintessential or all-important element".

Some folks photograph better, some worse.

A true fact which tends to get lost in the thinking process online.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 89
Posted: 10/16/2013 8:56:16 PM
none,
I have posted the same pic and profile text with a height of 6-1 and my real height of 5-6.
the one that got responses - the one with the fake height.
find the right lure to what the fish want; and you will find the value of the fish that you pull in.
Msg: 90
Posted: 10/16/2013 9:26:33 PM
When I list my endowment as "modest" I get no views but when I change it to "hung" I get views and messages out the Yin Yang.
 SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 91
Posted: 10/17/2013 8:21:26 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

The halo effect or halo error is a cognitive bias in which one's judgments of a person’s character can be influenced by one's overall impression of him or her. It can be found in a range of situations from the courtroom to the classroom and in everyday interactions. The halo effect was given its name by psychologist Edward Thorndike; subsequent researchers have studied it in relation to attractiveness and its bearing on the judicial and educational systems.

Lookism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lookism

Lookism is a term used to refer to the positive stereotypes, prejudice, and preferential treatment given to physically attractive people, or more generally to people whose appearance matches cultural preferences. The pejorative term body fascism is also used as a synonym[1] and Warren Farrell has proposed the term genetic celebrity to describe adoration of the attractive.[2]

Physical attractiveness is associated with good things, such as beautiful princesses; in contrast, physical unattractiveness is associated with negative things, such as wicked witches. Based on physical appearance, many people make automatic judgments of others that influence how they respond to those people. Research on the "What is beautiful is good" stereotype shows that, overall, those who are physically attractive benefit from their good looks. Researchers found that physically attractive individuals are perceived more positively and that physical attractiveness has a strong influence on judgements of a person’s competence.[3] In return, physically attractive people benefit from these stereotypical beliefs. Research shows that on average, physically attractive individuals have more friends, better social skills, and more active sex lives. However, attractiveness does not have any effect on the level of happiness experienced by the individual.[4]

of course flattering pics will make a huge difference
 Cdan1957
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 10/17/2013 9:07:14 AM

I have posted the same pic and profile text with a height of 6-1 and my real height of 5-6.
the one that got responses - the one with the fake height.

Why does this surprise you? You don't think that 7 inches of height should make a difference? If you set up a meeting under the fake profile the person you are meeting would have every right to be pissed off and walk out without saying a word.

I preferred not to date a woman taller than me. I also prefer not to date a woman that is less than 5'2". Height is one of many physical attributes that I look for. Some are deal breakers and some are preferences. The first thing I looked at when I was looking at profiles were the picture. If not attracted to the person, I move on.

It amazes me that if someone has physical requirements that they are considered shallow. Sorry but that is so much BS. I have to be attracted to my partner. I am not going to "settle"
 forumfella
Msg: 94
Posted: 10/22/2013 12:31:49 PM
Kind of a damned if you do/damned if you don't scenario..some users don't have a pic, ya feel frustrated that they don't bother to show themselves, and some that do have pics...it's like yikes!!!! Why would you post a picture like that?!?
 forumfella
Msg: 95
Posted: 10/22/2013 12:40:40 PM
I didn't think there was such a thing as bad cleavage shots, till I signed up on POF ..lol
 traveltrekker
Msg: 96
Posted: 10/22/2013 12:48:07 PM

and facial features can tell a lot about a person.

Such as?
 forumiteinca
Msg: 97
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:03:00 AM
On another post the question was about dating a blind person. One has to wonder how a blind person approaches dating. So many here on POF insist on "seeing" the person as the first step in the dating process. I ask what the first thing is that a blind person looks for in another when it comes to dating?

Does a blind person have an advantage here, because he/she is checking out who the other person really is - and not worrying about appearances - given that one's appearance changes over time, and in the case of the internet, often what one sees is not the real thing (what with photo-shop and not knowing just when the picture was actually taken, etc.)

Some need a picture. Others do not. It all depends on the individual.
 sumbeach0822
Msg: 98
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:14:26 AM
I don't have any pictures posted. I do have pictures -- I just can't get past that "advertising" of oneself. But that's all explained in my profile.

My girlfriend has a picture posted on here. She consistently attracts less-than-quality people who seem mainly interested in her appearance. She's quite pretty. In my own experience, I find I attract better quality men than she does -- even without pictures. And most of them don't have pictures posted either. I will say, I've been quite pleased with the appearance of the couple of men I've received pictures from.
 Archiver
Msg: 99
Posted: 12/9/2013 9:35:49 AM
I can understand not having photos on a profile. After all, I don't have a real photo on mine either. But one should have photos available to send after contact has been initiated. They can be stored on POF as "private" and attached to POF messages, or can be stored on one's hard-drive and attached to email. However, if one has NO PHOTOS at all, one is not likely to ever meet someone via a dating site. Photos at least give one a clue whether or not one will be attracted. Back when personal ads were in vogue, I did meet a few men who did not provide photos. It was usually a waste of time. I won't do that again. I will not continue correspondence if photos are not forthcoming. Indeed, I usually click right past any profile that does not contain a photo.
 forumiteinca
Msg: 101
Posted: 12/13/2013 10:19:22 AM
If you are a female, with a great body and put up a few pics in a bikini, then like this 37 year old gal put in her profile...

"About Me
Just checking this out. Let's be honest, appearance is what starts a conversation anyway. If you like what you see, send me a message. "
 rosewood_girl
Msg: 102
Posted: 12/13/2013 5:59:25 PM
I have been on dates that the guy has looked liked his picture, and some don't. Some look better, and some look worse. Pictures can be misleading on both sexes. I get an idea of what the person looks like through pictures, but won't judge until I see in person.
 LuvFishes
Msg: 103
Posted: 12/13/2013 8:09:21 PM
Ok here's the wee bit that I know: when I first started online dating I didn't know how to upload pics. 1 stole my thumb drive stick thingy. Yes I am Tech challenged so I made it a point to be very detailed in my profile so that he could get a feel for the person I am... even asked if they would be brave enough to chat/meet without a pic. Bingo... had some fantastic dates. We exchanged emails, talked on the phone and met.

I didn't care about their pics, I was more interested in getting to know the man and what were his characteristics period. I also didn't go by a time limit. I had 2 shitake mushroom dates (one had hands of a octopus & liar and the other thought recreational cocaine was ok). My dates were romantic picnic on the beach, jet ski date, swimming pool party, boating, went to family bbq (first date) meet them all LOL, wine tasting, very nice dinners, an art exhibit etc. Just haven't met the one... rofl

I have learned a lot about ppl and more importantly about myself. The "I know in 10 min. " scenario well I can tell if they are at ease or uptight but I don't bail. At least not yet LOL. I have been so lucky to have met some great guys and a couple are dear friends. Now I have taken a break from dating, almost a yr but I am eager again to start. I want to share my life with someone who I care about and they care about me. Time waits for no one.
 forumfella
Msg: 104
Posted: 12/14/2013 8:09:08 AM
Well considering the settings limit those without pictures from contacting you(as mine is set), I'd say it makes a huuuge difference to those without pictures, having a pic should be mandatory for having a profile on a dating site IMO! When I see a profile without a picture, it tells me ...that A, they are ashamed of their appearance, B, involved with someone else and afraid of being caught browsing or C, that they're just not putting in the same serious effort to find someone that I am.

Rosewood girl...well done on the full body shot, looks great!
 spot4username
Msg: 106
Posted: 1/1/2014 2:33:54 PM
If I am not physically attracted to the man it isn't going anywhere. That is just the bottom line. I've said it before and I'll say it again - you can grow to love a person but you can't force yourself to lust a person. Pictures are important. Of course he could be dead sexy and his profile may read like a special needs 5th grader wrote it and I will pass him by. I am searching for a mutually mental and physical attraction.
 wanny7
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 2:40:44 PM
Couple of guys I've met on here and off elsewhere seem to say I look totally different in my pics. I think might be that I'm not all tarted up for first date in a coffee shop etc I'm not really sure. Puts me off. Meeting new guys. Only happend the twice through.
 activemelaney
Msg: 108
view profile
History
Posted: 1/1/2014 4:03:43 PM
We all have our preferences.

I like a fit, athletic guy. Flat stomach trumps a crooked nose.. Don't care about height, looks, hair, etc.

Winners....cycling, hiking, active photos
Losers...motorcycles, trucks, drinking, dead fish and hunting or bubba activities.

The next woman will have her own preference.

It takes 30 seconds to edit a profile. A smart guy would read a woman's profile and then add a few lines and a particular photo to his own. Put his best self forward for that woman....then send a message.
 meoww207
Msg: 109
Posted: 1/1/2014 6:40:51 PM

Have any of you been pleasantly (or unpleasantly) surprised by the person you've encountered on a first meeting? .... I've been on a couple of dates so far and the men haven't looked the same as in their pictures - not worse; just different.
I've had this same experience. People usually look different in photos, but I can't say whether its been bad or good -- just different. There have also been times where I've been on the fence about someones looks, but meet them and am pleasantly surprised.

Is it right to take a chance on people where I'm unsure whether I'm attracted on a first glance at some of their photos? Or should I move on quickly instead?
There have been a few instances where I wasn't really attracted to someones photo, but maybe they gave me a nice compliment so I thanked them. This lead to some good conversation, we ended up going out and having an amazing time. So I try to be open minded about pictures.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 110
Posted: 1/1/2014 6:57:34 PM

Is it right to take a chance on people where I'm unsure whether I'm attracted on a first glance at some of their photos?

The key word here is "some".
I have seen some women's profiles with multiple photos where they look very attractive in some and so-so in others. Lighting, makeup, camera quality, etc. can make someone look more or less attractive in a photo. Also, not as common anymore, but the old webcam photos would often be grainy and could make a person look less attractive than they might really be. So, keeping an open mind is a definite plus. It's not a question of it being "right" or "wrong" to take a chance, but more a matter of being informed and sensible. As long as someone does not look completely repulsive in every photo, if they have a photo, they should remain a possibility.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >