Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Darksidedog
Msg: 554
view profile
History
Message RestrictionsPage 19 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
What concerns me is the small number of members and what looks like moderator support of the mentality, "if you don't like it leave".

What is the point of having a section of the forum dedicated to "Site suggestions" if no one with the ability to make changes listens?
There are many posting in the related threads about the changes being detrimental to themselves (myself included). The reasons are genuine and I am sure many others here that have a problem with the changes are being effected similarly.

Consequences of the changes;
We are restricted by age as to who we can communicate with.
Many previous conversations with potentials have been cut short.
We can no longer send private images, even if requested to do so.
Women have more site options than men.
No links to forum from main site anymore.

When did I stop being an adult?
What is wrong with the BLOCK/FILTER options that the complaining users don't seem to be able to use?

NANNIED, lost communications due to changes, lost functionality for using POF.
Does not sit well with me. This is the last post I will put here regarding the subject. I will give it a few days to see if I can find alternatives to keep in touch with my interests and if reversion changes are not forthcoming, I will be leaving as has been suggested by those mentioned in my first sentance.
 Amyxxteresa
Msg: 555
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 5:59:25 AM
I've actually noticed my messages getting worse now that the age restrictions have come into play. I don't really know why... perhaps all the local men in my area are over 14 years older than me? Or I am not showing up in 30-year-old searches? I turn 22 in less than 5 days... this is kind of ridiculous.

At one point i'd get maybe about one worth wild message in three or four days. I now have it flooded with 23-year-old men from NYC(I live in NJ) who cannot say more than hi. I don't even bother with the first message length filters as one message I got when I inplaced that was "hi how are you" copy pasted several times. LOL
 briandg77
Msg: 556
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 7:38:03 AM
Doesn't make any sense. Under my matches even though I have the age range set to 32-52 all my matches are under the 32 age limit. Where is the logic in that?
 Harleenz
Msg: 557
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 8:04:03 AM
I don't like this change at all. I'm guessing the main target of this change is the "creepy" old man and the young naive girl. It's silly and it makes younger girls look like damsels in distress. That we are incapable of ignoring messages or blocking people if it makes us uncomfortable. I happen to like older men and I'm bummed about this. This change hasn't stopped the amount of messages I get asking to hook up from guys around my age.
 MusicHikingPhotos
Msg: 558
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 10:09:12 AM
Hi, since this age restriction came into place, I have been lied to by "younger" men. One wrote me who listed his age 4 years older than he really was and would NOT mention his real age in his profile. Another asked to meet me. When I viewed his profile it said this:

Looking for an older woman 40's 50's or 60's. My age is 26, not 58. I had to make myself older due to POF's new age restrictions. Looking for an older woman who wants to have fun with a young guy.
 Dauntless66
Msg: 559
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 10:30:26 AM

Hi, since this age restriction came into place, I have been lied to by "younger" men. One wrote me who listed his age 4 years older than he really was and would NOT mention his real age in his profile. Another asked to meet me. When I viewed his profile it said this:

Looking for an older woman 40's 50's or 60's. My age is 26, not 58. I had to make myself older due to POF's new age restrictions. Looking for an older woman who wants to have fun with a young guy.

Which is exactly what many of us said would happen when Markus put these changes into effect. All it does is muddy the waters even more by having more people lie about their ages. I still don't understand why Markus didn't just make it mandatory to choose a preferred age range when setting up your profile. This is by far the most sensible way to prevent people who are older/younger than you prefer from contacting you. To implement this kind of blanket ban is ludicrous on a site for adults.
 Casper66
Msg: 560
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/2/2013 12:13:17 PM
^^^^ agree with above posters, people will always find a way to get around restrictions, you see individuals with multiple profiles on the site already, now others will just lie about their ages or intentions, the age restrictions worked just fine for me in the past or just block and delete. The e-mail from Markus indicated they wanted to clean up the site which does have bad reputation in the online community, I think it is a little too late now to apply a blanket ban to curb certain human behaviour and could have the opposite effect that turns off people they want using the site.
 Newtothegame2012
Msg: 561
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/3/2013 8:48:46 AM
Plenty of fish has no right to restrict the finding of love or whatever. No other dating site does this. Every where in the world age knows no love. Whoever the owners of pof is should learn the ways of the world. Your dating site yes, but we are the ones looking for someone to keep us company. Look at the little tramps looking for older guys? The woman are bringing on themsleves and we get treated like trash? Give your head a shake. And the blocking of intimate encounters? Why not pay for long term? And why should women be the only ones to have there pictures private? there are many women who have partial nudes on here. Seems like favourtism on here. IMO
 Somesingleguy1974
Msg: 562
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/3/2013 4:30:00 PM
LMAO this is brilliant. Who would of thought that people would lie to get around a filter *rolls eyes*
 ECBoss79
Msg: 563
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/3/2013 7:42:00 PM
POF has become a joke! I cant even search above a certain age now much less message anyone. Who in the hell is running this site? I've met some really nice people on here that are above the age limit that i'm not allowed to contact or search.
 arlo2
Msg: 564
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/4/2013 8:31:42 PM
It seems that some of us have mistaken POF for a dating site.

It's not. It is a banner farm. And all of the decisions make sense, if you look at it from that perspective.

As for the age restrictions…

If it causes more people to create multiple profiles ? Bigger customer base = higher ad rates

If it causes more people to lie about their age ? Younger customer base = higher ad rates.

Messages that are sent, but not viewed, do not create ad "impressions". So, try to drive more messages to older women by restricting age ranges = more ad views/clicks.

Anything that can be done to retain more women will be done because female eyeballs are worth more than male eyeballs. Because, as anyone who has studied economics knows, WOMEN SPEND. So, they will be catered to.
 ohenryx
Msg: 566
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/5/2013 2:16:34 PM

Skyfireshogun
A smarter way to have handled this situation would have been to auto enable the age and IE filter on all female accounts and on new accounts. Making them opt-out filters rather than opt-in. That way people have the option to change the filter to what suits them and clueless users aren't victims of failing to check the filters.

I don’t believe it, an intelligent, thoughtful answer to the problems that Marcus THINKS he has.
 Gotaboot51
Msg: 567
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/5/2013 2:53:36 PM
I love reading all these postings some are just venting and others have some great ideas as to how this could work using a practical, thought through, democratic approach.

Unfortunately no matter what gets posted here in my opinion absolutely nothing will change. The age limit will stay along with all the other changes that have been made. What's that saying about absolute power?

So once again it comes down to either swallow what's been crammed down your throat or find somewhere else to socialize. I have all bet chosen the latter and am slowly moving from this site.

Just remember the squeaky wheel get's greased (deleted).
 xeot
Msg: 568
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/5/2013 7:06:46 PM

A smarter way to have handled this situation would have been to auto enable the age and IE filter on all female accounts and on new accounts. Making them opt-out filters rather than opt-in. That way people have the option to change the filter to what suits them and clueless users aren't victims of failing to check the filters.

I don’t believe it, an intelligent, thoughtful answer to the problems that Marcus THINKS he has.

Several have suggested that through the thread.
It has thus far been ignored by the administration.
This would indicate that it's not just solving a problem some users are having. Something else is also at play.
 Film Alchemist
Msg: 569
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/6/2013 5:56:15 AM
I look for younger women because I refuse to give up on my dream of having kids. I know damn well there are younger women who are attracted to older men because I see it out there. I'd hate to think it's all about the bigger bank account - which is why I was pushed aside several times over the years by women my own age! It is not by choice that I am not celebrating a long marriage with kids in college. I have always been a serious-minded, hard-working and loyal family-oriented guy who constantly got thrown over for "something better."

Now POF has made an already difficult situation next to impossible. How dare you dictate who we can say "hello" to! When you sign up for a dating site, you have to expect contact from people who don't interest you. Did some helpless little girls go crying to the admins because they couldn't operate the drop-downs in their mail settings to set age limits? Or did they do something really stupid like include contact information or their full name in their profile?

It's as if POF is assuming all men to be potential persistent creeps - a reflection of society's increasing demonization of men. Yeah, well there are some creepy women out there too! That's why you choose how much detail to reveal in your profile and how to set your mail parameters. Incidentally, while I prefer younger women I have set my profile to accept messages from all ages. I find it insulting to be flat-out blocked when you haven't done anything to deserve it.

It's possible some women may take a liking to someone outside their usual search parameters, in which case it is up to those outside the parameters to initiate contact. I don't contact younger women willy-nilly. I look for compatible traits, interests, beliefs and put a lot of thought into my initial message. But POF has arbitrarily decided who should be dating who. What's next, interracial restrictions?
 PureLogic
Msg: 570
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/6/2013 8:02:34 AM

We've written to each other, but now are prevented further communication.

This is why you guys need to start exchanging numbers instead of having a six month correspondence online. Not that I support these bullshit changes (I don't) but I've learned the hard way (ppl closing their account, etc.) that it's always good to find a second way of contacting someone you like, just in case something online ruins it.
 jimintoronto2
Msg: 571
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/6/2013 9:01:27 AM

It's possible some women may take a liking to someone outside their usual search parameters, in which case it is up to those outside the parameters to initiate contact. I don't contact younger women willy-nilly. I look for compatible traits, interests, beliefs and put a lot of thought into my initial message.

I was contacted by a woman who's 16 years my junior just before the new rule was implemented so, yes, it does happen. I actually was not comfortable with the age difference, but she persisted. We've met a few times and are getting along really well. People are all different. Why some look for what might be considered well out of their age range is entirely up to them. We're all adults and should be able to contact whomever we choose.
 G203
Msg: 572
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/6/2013 12:49:05 PM
I've nothing new to add, just a +1 to the overwhelming view that POF already had messaging age filters, the solution to the alleged problem was to ensure they were used by those who needed to. Not a sweeping imposition that treats us like children, unable to make our own decisions.
 yolois
Msg: 573
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/7/2013 1:11:21 AM
Gonna have to think of this site as "Plenty Of Shackles". Even my mother was never this lame, and I'm an only child LOL
 Wineandtruffles
Msg: 575
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/7/2013 2:07:40 PM
This site seems to be steering dangerously down the wrong tracks.

I appreciate women of a diverse range of ages, and I do not believe in setting such arbitrary limits on love. At the time that I signed up here, I was unaware that such ill-conceived and draconian changes where being implemented. I think I shall go elsewhere, to a site where I can be respected ... both as a man, and an intelligent free-willed individual.

I was fully ready to pay for a premium membership here. This site just lost a customer for life in me.
 JohnMZ768
Msg: 576
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/7/2013 2:56:37 PM
Another thing about these changes that I find troubling is the reply you receive when attempting to message somebody outside of your allowed age range. I dug back through my history and tried sending messages to people outside of my range. The message received each and every time is, "________ is not accepting messages from someone of your age or gender". Oh really, they made that decision for themselves?
 xeot
Msg: 577
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/7/2013 7:52:31 PM

The message received each and every time is, "________ is not accepting messages from someone of your age or gender". Oh really, they made that decision for themselves?

That's likely because the code was simply crudely patched in the section that checks for the recipient's age range preferences. It's probably just an if statement inserted that does the math on the relative ages and compares it to the 14 year standard.

Of course it would have just been as easy to make a not set age rage force set to +/- 14 until the user changed it to something.
 tonguewiz
Msg: 578
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/7/2013 11:09:02 PM

I guess you've never been a woman with a profile on a paid site. I never got so much crap email from one website in my life until i signed up for yahoo personals one day after they went from a free to a paid site.
That's because they are all fake messages sent by the site to get you to sign up (or stay signed up) and men get those as well. This goes for pretty much all pay sites.
 xeot
Msg: 579
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/8/2013 1:50:15 PM

I guess you've never been a woman with a profile on a paid site. I never got so much crap email from one website in my life until i signed up for yahoo personals one day after they went from a free to a paid site.
That's because they are all fake messages sent by the site to get you to sign up (or stay signed up) and men get those as well. This goes for pretty much all pay sites.

Yep. Pay sites are full of fake profiles. Far more than free sites. Free sites are self policing and there is a motivation for the site owner to clean out the fake profiles. On a pay for site there is incentive to keep them around, even create them.
 TheB92
Msg: 580
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/8/2013 5:17:18 PM
That seems sorta unfair admin to make a rule nobody asked for, especially making a decisions for people that they did not make. This is a dating site correct? If it is then it should be free for anyone of any age to talk to whoever they want. Obviously majority of the users do not like this change including me. If users want to date people of certain ages, let them say it themselves or specify that like before. Everything was fine as it used to be before this unpopular change.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >