Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 678
Message RestrictionsPage 23 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
Msg: 707
It's clearly homophobic as women can contact younger men, but I can't.

POF is set up for same gender searches for both men and women. POF is clearly not homophobic.

The age restriction for messaging applies to everyone. Cougars can't contact the really young cubs. Poor cougars.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 680
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/4/2014 6:02:02 PM
POF used to filter people looking for sex, but that filter went away. Shame because that was an effective filter, but all these guys who screwed themselves with that filter whined even more than the ones whining about age. Shame as the guys that got rejected for things they'd posted in the forums. (I can never stress how much I miss posts being linked to profiles).

And for enlightenment women 14 yrs younger or older cannot contact you so you really don't need to worry about not being able to respond.

Not trying to be mean, but there are other sites you can look into that don't filter by age. Try one of them. I think that should better meet your desires.
 smartazzjohn
Msg: 681
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/5/2014 7:19:08 AM
If someone adds you as a "fav" and you reciprocate by adding them then the restriction should be removed.

Problem solved. LOL

Doesn't work that way.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS||
Complaint Department HERE
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 682
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/5/2014 10:51:34 AM
If someone adds you as a "fav" and you reciprocate by adding them then the restriction should be removed.

I doubt that'll work for the site imposed age restriction. There were reports of users who were messaging each other who then had their communications terminated once the ±14 year limit took effect.
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 683
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/15/2014 11:01:26 AM
Women who are 18 come to the site to find people to date, they don't come here to find "friends" with men in their 50's. Over all for young women its just a horrible user experience as for some of them over half their messages are from men double their age. This change only effects 1.7% of first contacts between users on the site but it will make a huge difference in terms of female perception of the site.

How about change the default mail setting with all users to age restrict of -/+14 age differences? Then you could notify people if they want to available from broader age range they can do so with email settings.
 gnikNus17
Msg: 684
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/20/2014 2:24:06 PM
It would be really nice if, when you put these restrictions in place, that you also edit YOUR Match criteria accordingly.
I log on and click my "Ultra Matches" and there are several that, after writing rather lengthy emails, I get a message that I am restricted from emailing this user! Then why are they listed as one of my Matches if I can't contact them?
I have used POF on and off for a few years now and met a couple of wonderful women, some I am still friends with, but my recent experience is off putting. I can understand if they select an age restriction, which is listed so I don't waste my time, but there is no indication of this restriction on the site.
A bit of consistency would be appreciated as well as a FAQ on this specific topic.
Respectfully submitted.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 685
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/23/2014 10:00:53 PM
I have noticed an increase in messages from really youthful looking men who claim to be in their 30s, lol. Turns out they are really in their 20s but weren't able to contact older women. So where there is a will, there is a way. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by the restrictions though, because I have seen some profiles of guys I'm interested in who are just a few months short of reaching the magic 14 year radius. Maybe I should lower my actual age by a few years so I can talk to them.
 Sonic98
Msg: 686
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/24/2014 1:31:13 PM
The message from Big Fish just doesn't make sense. Just allow individuals to select the age range they wish to receive messages from... Simple! !!. I am 46 and prefer guys younger than myself. I know for a fact that there are guys in their early 30s that are interested in me, as PoF keeps emailing me to tell me they've added me as a favourite or 'want to meet me'. The problem is, we can't message each other. It's all so depressing. You come on here as a single person to meet someone new. PoF finds a match, daggles it in front of your nose and then takes it away. It's clearly homophobic as women can contact younger men, but I can't. IF I'M NOT ALLOWED TO MESSAGE THEM, DON'T INCLUDE THEM IN MY MATCHES AND DON'T TELL ME THEY WANT TO MEET ME. IT'S JUST PLAIN NASTY!!!

Personally, I think POF should do like other sites that have matching, favorites, and contact restrictions. On most sites once someone adds you as a favorite or chooses to meet you, contact restrictions are thrown out if you become mutual meet me or favorites. Personally, I think the ones based on not allowing people to contact you who have contacted other types of people should have time limits. If it's been a few years, that mark should be removed from their history. Heck as much as people leave POF then after a while decide to come back, it won't matter anyway
 Sonic98
Msg: 687
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/24/2014 1:35:25 PM
I have noticed an increase in messages from really youthful looking men who claim to be in their 30s, lol. Turns out they are really in their 20s but weren't able to contact older women. So where there is a will, there is a way. I'm starting to get a little annoyed by the restrictions though, because I have seen some profiles of guys I'm interested in who are just a few months short of reaching the magic 14 year radius. Maybe I should lower my actual age by a few years so I can talk to them.

Unfortunately, you have to do what you have to do sometime
 justdeb1111
Msg: 688
Message Restrictions
Posted: 4/24/2014 9:36:31 PM
Well, this thread doesn't explain one thing to me. When I set an age limit to search for men, several times now the upper end of the limit autoresets to 80!! Hello?? I've also tried to set my search area for 5 miles---an option on the drop list---but it autoresets to 25 miles. I now know about every 80 yr old man from Santa Rosa on this site.

Not that I'm complaining. If I were complaining I'd be whining about the ads that keep popping up here---for men wanting "curvy older women".........as if every female over 50 is automatically curvy?

This may be a non-pay optional site but they are failing seriously in enticing members to pay and support it.
 that_ol_lady
Msg: 689
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/3/2014 3:49:12 PM

TrustInKarma

I feel u there all its doing is causing the young men to lie about being older an the old men to lie about being younger..let me clear that up its causing them to lie more then usual..
 lovingliferightnow
Msg: 691
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/11/2014 1:16:40 AM
Technically the system should only allow guys 14 years older or younger to contact you.
 RobertLW2
Msg: 692
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/17/2014 12:55:26 PM
Iv not been on the forums for a while is there any word on weather or not there gonna drop the Restrictions?

Theres a few guys who i was talking to that i can no longer talk to :/.

Why would the restrictions be dropped?

There have been zero hints that dropping it was even under consideration so I think it is safe to say the restrictions will NOT be dropped.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS||
Complaint Department HERE
 Analog_Phase84
Msg: 694
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/4/2014 12:58:25 AM
Plus or minus 14 years is bad enough but I'm still bewildered why someone in their mid to late 20's, like myself, cannot contact anybody under 20.
 whatagirlwants12
Msg: 697
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/17/2014 7:09:44 PM
Like any rule there is always those who figure out how to get around the rules to get what they want.
Example; the 25 year old boys creating a 45 year old profile to look for older women .
I've received emails from 5 different guys in their 20's.
To me the rule is ridiculous and certainly doesn't stop someone from doing what they want.
Don't people always want what their told they can't have?
I utilize the block feature in these cases but I certainly don't need anyone telling me how old a person has to be for me to talk to.
 lovingliferightnow
Msg: 698
Message Restrictions
Posted: 6/30/2014 6:58:32 PM
And with these restrictions in place, NOW the site will not update my age after my birthday. Which throws this whole algorithm out the window if it will not follow its own rules.
 FrogPrincenstein
Msg: 700
Message Restrictions
Posted: 8/20/2014 12:46:16 PM
It would seem Marcus and his minions are on a blind power trip...the restrictions are laughable...AND... if a younger woman contacts an older man, he has NO WAY to respond. So much for allowing responsible ADULTS to live their lives as THEY see fit. In my opinion, it is quite "Orwellian".

Also, has anyone ever tried to ask another to meet for a c***tail (beverage) ? POF wil NOT SEND an email that contains that "evil" 4 letter beginning. Sheesh!!!

If POF wants to censor and restrict, it would behoove them to do it properly and give the clients a way to determine their own limits.
It would seem that POF's answer to perceived "issues" is to "throw a blanket over it" and leave everyone in the dark. How sophomoric, and angering!
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 702
Message Restrictions
Posted: 8/28/2014 3:20:29 PM
To be honest, I'm quite tired of 20-25 years creating profiles listed with the age of 40-42 ago subvert not only the POF standard, but my restrictions, as well.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 703
Message Restrictions
Posted: 8/28/2014 3:30:02 PM
Personally, I have no interest in dating anybody who is less than 30, I'm 41, and I'm pushing it. (But I've met some very pleasant 32-34 year old people.) Likewise, I'm not interested in somebody over 54-55; it's an age beyond what I would prefer. I have the age restriction set to 60, but I'd have absolutely nothing in common with a man that significantly older than me, and fortunately for me, my restriction for the oldest matched for me is 55.

Personally, I don't what a 55 year old man would have with a 25 year old and a woman that age with a man that young. I think people should be able to do what they want, yes, but there are limitations at what you can really do without posing a danger to somebody's heart.
 ozsealady1
Msg: 704
Message Restrictions - not working?????
Posted: 8/31/2014 6:06:52 PM
I have just been contacted by a man stating his age is 80.

25 years older than me.

So for me the +/- 14 years age restrictions obviously do not apply?????

I wish it did.
I like it.
 Boogy Knight
Msg: 706
view profile
History
Posted: 9/5/2014 4:55:57 PM
I'm back on this site after a long absence and I'm honestly creeped out by this Orwellian change. Unreal.
 bottleneckblooz
Msg: 707
Posted: 9/6/2014 6:14:53 AM
I agree with most that this is a stupid feature.
I've recently had the situation happen where a 25 year old woman added me to her favorites list, so I went to message her and I couldn't. Shouldn't the fact that she added me to her favorites list unblock me from messaging her???
 wolfmanitoba
Msg: 708
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/9/2014 4:52:16 AM
I just found the profile of a girl who could be perfect for me, but apparently because she's 23, I can't message her. I suppose the best one can do in such a situation is add her to the "favorites" list so she will get a notification and thus might consider initiating messaging?
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 709
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/9/2014 12:19:22 PM
Wolfman, I don't think you understand. Nobody can contact anyone outside the +/- 14 years age difference. You cannot contact her and she cannot contact you, regardless of the favorites status. Many many posts in these pages about this restriction have highlighted this fact. In fact in the very first post before yours the poster states the very same issue...

I've recently had the situation happen where a 25 year old woman added me to her favorites list, so I went to message her and I couldn't.

So, you cannot contact her and she cannot contact you if you are more than 14 years apart in age.. Even if you both favor each other. Right or wrong, smart or stupid, weather you and I like it or don't, that is the way the owner of this site has decided to run things.
 wolfmanitoba
Msg: 710
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/9/2014 12:41:42 PM
Wow... POF used to be a good site. They should have kept it the way it was and stuck with it.

On the bright side, this will be good for all the competition out there, I guess.
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >