Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lonelyjohnny
Msg: 711
Message RestrictionsPage 24 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)
There's another thread titled "age rule",the posts are all so old. It was less than 2 years ago when i suffered from the announced "new rule", i was 54 and had a long beard and a nice single mom, 30ish, sweetly asked if she could braid the beard and cut my hair. I'd been living in the desert over a year without making any local friends yet... Hail YES, let's meet someplace. I was about to get her # when i was blocked due to our age difference. WTF!
As if and even if messaging = sexual consent, what's wrong with someone in their 30's and one in their 50's liking each other?
Other than some girls saying " eeewww, your as old as my dad", i don't know of any established moral code that this violates.
My father married a 40-year-old when he was 60 and i don't remember even one negative comment.
Makes no sense to enforce such a rule just because someone finds it somewhat distasteful, especially in this age of tolerance and acceptance of gay and interracial couples. Can anyone show me how i'm wrong?
I started my own thread 'AGE DIFFERENCE with this, but it was "closed"'
 lonelyjohnny
Msg: 712
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/11/2014 5:24:51 AM
I had comments to answer, so moved to this thread, where i could only get in by quoting...
"WHAT'S WRONG WITH WOMEN YOUR AGE?"
The woman i've dated for the most this year is 60, i like friending nice people regardless of age and never implied that i prefer younger women. The 'wrong' i'm complaining about is blatant, unjustified age discrimination.
Pretty young women still get tons of messages from creeps and perverts don't they?
I've read several profiles where she says "not into black men" or "only black" and it's not meant or generally seen as racist, it's a preference like 'clean-cut professional type' or 'big and hairy with tattoos'. When you join a dating site it's your responsibility to describe what you like and dislike and if you don't want to consider anyone over 30 then say so, and then it's your job to scrutinize all the creeps and ignore, delete, block, or report as you see fit. If you look at pics they send, i doubt that gray hair and wrinkles are the most disgusting things you'll see. Do the hot babes want fat boyfriends? Where's the fat rule? Over 100 lbs difference = auto-block.
Why must it work both ways? There ARE women who find older men interesting and attractive. It was the 30-yr-old who initiated contact with me, she picked me out of the crowd to meet with and possibly start a great friendship but was suddenly blocked because...?
If they'd done the smart, fair, logical thing and made it a select-able option, i'd have that friend and you'd have never read this.
 Lost_N_Lonely81
Msg: 714
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/21/2014 3:35:26 AM
I do not agree with your new -14 rule and I think you are wrong but it is your place to make the rules. I hope it bites you in the hind end. I know what I am looking for and it should be up to others to decide if they want to correspond with whomever they please. If you are going to be deciding who I can and can't talk to, I am in the wrong place. You act like all the younger women are your children and can not make decisions for themselves. I have been a paying member here for years but when my time is up I will not be renewing. If it was not for your company taking a years subscription out automatically, I would have been free or gone sooner. I am glad you know so much about women under 30, you should write a book.
 AmeliaHarlow
Msg: 715
FAQ: New Age Restrictions Set By Admin: Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/28/2014 2:14:08 AM
This is juvenile. I have mixed feelings about older guys hitting on younger women--yes, it can be annoying, but when I was 20 I had a charming interlude with a guy 25 years older than me. Last night, a gentleman I'm seeing now and then in the flesh just "favorited" me :). I tried to send him a flirt and got the age restriction because I'm older than him, so we can't continue our flirtation here. If this is about connections, POF is now making mine a little trickier. As far as I can tell, no one here has a problem with people over, say, 30 getting together. Any chance that could happen?
 blondeyblue59
Msg: 716
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/30/2014 9:15:33 AM
I have been talking to a man that was not 19 yrs younger than me and now his account has been deleted, I want to know why??????? It's not fair, to just delete the man without telling the woman why he has been deleted!!!!
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 717
Message Restrictions
Posted: 9/30/2014 12:16:43 PM
^^^^^^
Your reply really has nothing to do with this thread. Use the search function and you will find scores, probably even hundreds, of threads about deleted user accounts. Many of them will surly point out that you will never be told why.

POF will never disclose to the person whose profile was deleted, and never disclose to another user, why a profile was deleted. It's simple, it's not anybody else's business. If they were deleted for suspected scammer/abuser just be happy that POF save you from losing your bank account!

Any other questions, concerns, or demands should be directed to the POF administration by emailing them at CSR@pof.com But don't hold your breath waiting for a reply.

You could demand a refund too. But like above, don't hold your breath wait for it!
 Doouglass
Msg: 718
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2014 6:13:23 PM
The site owner is in business, I'm clueless as to why he'd want to filter older men from young women. This site has started to go downhill since they un-linked profiles from forum posts. They removed the one way you could check someone out, and communicate with other users in a fun way. Site is really complete garbage now.
 Jrocc23
Msg: 719
Posted: 10/5/2014 5:33:09 PM
These restrictions are asinine. It's really nothing for me to add since most have it covered. There isn't no reason why ADULTS, shouldn't be able to message whatever age they like. At least make the minimum age 21. It doesn't make any sense with the tools in place like most people said.

I have a feeling the owner is very stubborn and do not want to admit to making this big mistake by adding this. I feel it would hurt his pride if he changes back. Hopefully, he put his pride aside and listen to his supporters and customers. Take the age restrictions off for people in their 20s. People can make their own decisions.
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 720
Posted: 10/10/2014 10:01:50 PM
Can't even email someone I'd like to because of this, bummer
 cooldog65
Msg: 721
view profile
History
Posted: 10/12/2014 10:31:24 PM
14 seems somewhat strange or random to me. A more uniform number ending in 5 or 0 like 5, 10, 15 or 20 depending on your age. Too complicated?
 Alr8t-Then...
Msg: 722
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 10/15/2014 3:18:11 PM
Can you please further clarify why this unilateral age restriction applies when a younger women contacts an older man first? I would think that they experience disappointment when their messages are seemingly disavowed. Your explanation ignores this circumstance. I realize that 1.7%-ers do not matter... But, perhaps your system could drop certain restrictions when this occurs? Otherwise, you've got a fantastic service and I've met some wonderful women... (Just not "the one" yet...) On the other hand, I guess you can only do so much... And I should just get off me duff and just go invest in a non-free service... haha... Thanks again...
 ozarkguy
Msg: 723
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/4/2014 10:22:23 AM
Has the 14 +/- restriction been lifted? I recently received an email from a 51 year old female (I'm 69). We've since met in person, but I'm probably not interested in following up further. Also, she doesn't appear in any of my searches, so she must have her profile hidden. Does the restriction not apply to females initiating contact?
 neillinnorwich
Msg: 724
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/11/2014 9:58:03 AM
Since the stated purpose of the change in message 16 of this thread by the moderator is that it "will make a huge difference in terms of female perception of the site", it seems to make no sense that a woman can't decide to contact a man of any age if she chooses to. If the draconian measures are here to stay, they should at least be modified so that they do what they intended, without the additional consequence. The way they have currently been implemented goes beyond the stated intention, and seems just to be lazy coding.
 AussieNancy
Msg: 725
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/12/2014 5:04:34 PM

Has the 14 +/- restriction been lifted? I recently received an email from a 51 year old female (I'm 69)

....She must have lied about her age. I'm 50 and tried to message you. Didn't work. That also shows the restrictions are for both sexes.

Since the stated purpose of the change in message 16 of this thread by the moderator is that it "will make a huge difference in terms of female perception of the site", it seems to make no sense that a woman can't decide to contact a man of any age if she chooses to.

Message 16 was by Markus...not a mod...the OWNER of this site. He can do what he likes weather we like it or not.

Yes, its a bummer when we've been chatting to forum friends in the past yet no longer can, but its not a bummer, in my opinion, that guys 18, 19, 20 cannot contact me asking for fun ........ and on the other end of the scale it stops creepy old men contacting girls in their 20's asking for fun.....

Like it or lump it. The restrictions remain in place.
 ozarkguy
Msg: 726
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/13/2014 8:08:53 AM
^^^^^^^ Her profile lists her at 51. She might have lied about her age, but nevertheless, she still shouldn't have been able to message me. I can see her profile if I click on the pic on her message, but can't otherwise find her, even if I search without signing on. So I assume her profile is hidden . I'm not interested, but just curious why the system didn't work according to the new contact rules.
 _lostboy_
Msg: 727
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/13/2014 1:31:41 PM
14 +/- unless you're 32. Then it is 14+/-10.

Why is this?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 729
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/21/2014 4:00:19 PM
Keep beating it to death. Ask yourselves one question: Have you ever known anything to change here because anyone other than Bigfish wanted it to?
 Mz_Dressup
Msg: 731
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/22/2014 10:09:52 AM
Millions of users in the database and 761 messages here, not all of which were complaining about the change. Admin rarely pays attention to these types of protest threads. It's his site to do as he pleases.

If you don't agree with it, ask for your money back. Or delete your profile. Or suck it up.
 tch213
Msg: 732
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/22/2014 11:58:29 AM
Most of those millions are inactive. Very few are paying for this service and there are limits of how many posts one can make on this thread. Saying that, it's not as much about the age gap as some assnne decisions about a service. It's no different then when POF decided that the only way to "hide" your profile was pay for a membership. What genius thought of that at the time?
 CuriousInDB
Msg: 733
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/22/2014 3:32:11 PM

What genius thought of that at the time?

Well, what do I know? I've only been hanging around these parts for a couple years, but some things have become apparent. I'm guessing Bigfish/Markus, the site's creator? Just a guess.
 tch213
Msg: 734
Message Restrictions
Posted: 11/28/2014 11:54:46 AM
Pretty ironic preaching age morality of 14 years when you see adds like these. "Can you handle a rich sugar mom? Click here to join" or "Stop checking your inbox, date hot Russian women! Click here". No boundaries when it comes to revenue eh?
 StarGazeher
Msg: 735
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2014 6:34:22 PM
Yes , this is crazy I would have never paid for the membership had they made this fact know during time of purchase. They are not advertising this purposefully its willful deception.
 superking82
Msg: 736
Message Restrictions
Posted: 1/4/2015 3:48:20 PM
This is preposterous and arbitrary. I can talk to 21 year old chicks at a bar but not on a dating site? My last girlfriend was 22. Some 20 year olds look 30 and vice versa. I usually don't date women younger than 25 or 26, but the restriction is ridiculous. I'm 32 for crying out loud, not 67. It's a fact that women mature faster than men and that is why most of them do not date guys their own age. This is outright discrimination against men in favor of profit.
 superking82
Msg: 737
Message Restrictions
Posted: 1/4/2015 3:52:05 PM
You should also realize that this is going to force a LOT of your users to lie about their age. Unfortunately for me, I have morals and I don't believe in lying. UGH
 Windwalker92
Msg: 738
Message Restrictions
Posted: 1/5/2015 9:48:40 PM
Has the age range search and messege dropped again from 10 to 8 years?
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >