Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Southtc
Msg: 246
view profile
History
Message RestrictionsPage 9 of 33    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33)

I am 64 and have been e mailing a lady 48, sure a mature lady, she has sent me 3 messages this morning all I can't answer. He last message was not a nice one as she thinks I am ignorring here. What a mess this is..

You dirty 'ol man!!!!

('Sorry, I had to!! This age restriction thing is ludicrous.)
 Southtc
Msg: 247
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 12:19:32 AM

Since I sent out that emails 3 hours ago, there have been 55,000 messages to my admin account virtually all in support and a couple of old men that are unhappy about not being allowed to message 18 year olds. I have yet to hear from a single women that is upset with these changes. Most of the comments are alone the lines of "its about time".

You forgot to preface that with a courtesy Coffee Spew warning! You owe me a new keyboard and monitor!! lol
 bowiefan72
Msg: 248
view profile
History
really
Posted: 5/21/2013 12:47:25 AM
Motown: That's just a silly way to look at things. Assuming the premise is to make money with sites like these if you scare away your members you'll make less money. Girls will never pay for this service and having age restrictions wont attract more men. Plus, if he's doing it on this site, how long till he decides he wants to do it on other sites? Remember other sites that made changes no one liked? Where's Myspace right now? Remember them? King of the hill they were but they made stupid choice after stupid choice. Facebook's starting to do it, too. And while these companies make make huge profits, if they do something stupid it could cost them big time. Remember when Zuckerberg decided to dress like a little kid after the IPO and lost Billions? Yeah, nice move. I mean, hey, if this guy's so rich that money's not an object any more then by all means: screw with everyone.
 bowiefan72
Msg: 249
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 12:50:13 AM
If it's a matter of someone you were communicating with that you're no longer able to, my advice would be to create a shadow account with the information required to allow you to contact that person, explain what happened, and exchange email addresses.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 250
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 1:44:54 AM
I think we now see why the forum link is gone from the dating site......Previous changes brought a cry in the forums, and people coming to the forums to find out what happened.....Also why the chat feature was disabled....they couldn't come up with a way to make the age restrictions work in the chat program.......IMO this is just going to lead to more lying about ages, as if that wasn't a problem already......
 Madailein
Msg: 251
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 2:34:04 AM
This makes no sense! Age restrictions? I don’t know about others but I have always enjoyed friends of various ages.

I have dated more than 14 years in age difference in both directions.

It is for me to choose who I will interact with, why I have almost no “musts” on my profile.

As an aside, I know of no other dating site that imposes age restriction in order for their members to interact.

I was a member here for a long time before I posted in the forums. It could be argued though, that the users here *do* represent POFers. That we are the 'voice' of the POF membership.

And a forum is the place to discuss, for our voice to be heard.

There's been a lot of vitriol out here, but also some thought-out posts by some reasonable people who do not like this change. And not all of them are men.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this discussion, Markus.

+ 1
 Petereaston
Msg: 252
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 2:37:46 AM
2. You can only contact people +/- 14 years of your age. There is no reason for a 50 year old man to contact a 18 year old women. The majority of messages sent outside those age ranges are all about hookups. Anyone who tries to get around this rule will get deleted.

So, now only markus can decide who and how old you can be to fall in love?

This site sucks more and more. If he's not trying money grabs, he's trying dictatorial control.
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 254
Simple Fix
Posted: 5/21/2013 3:54:48 AM

Simple fix to this fiasco (even if it's personal opinion) is to just REQUIRE users to set age preferences (whether they choose something like the 18-99, meaning they're not age biased or picking something more specific such as 25-30) in let's say their next 3 logins or their account will be disable until they do so.

I like that.
 Mark_in_Kent
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 4:15:43 AM
I agree that all those here who object to these completely unnecessary changes should at least say so here and in some way register that disapproval.

I too feel that making the setting of the optional age limits that already existed mandatory would have been a much more appropriate measure to take and those who didn't wish to receive communication from people of whatever age group could then exclude them by choice, not have a moral code that doesn't necessarily align with theirs forced down their throats.

We have always been able to restrict age groups from contacting us (and yes, fix the phone app if its not allowing that), we have always had the option to block users and we can always report someone if we feel sufficiently moved to do so.

That is quite enough, surely.
 Amyxxteresa
Msg: 257
New Age Restrictions Set By Admin: Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 5:14:04 AM
I use to like POF. Now I can only date men under 36? My last ex was 37 and we dated for several months. He wasn't a pervert and we had plenty in common. Commonalities don't necessarily always come down to age. I'm taking my search to and will happily pay them rather than upgrading here!
 Amyxxteresa
Msg: 258
Posted: 5/21/2013 5:15:21 AM
Lol it won't let me use another website's name. Goodbye pof! Kiss my credit card info goodbye
;)
 SpikeItHard
Msg: 260
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 5:56:07 AM
Dumbest thing ever the age restrictions. This site is going DOWNHILL fast

It appears the main majority of people on here are not liking the new changes. The powers that be on here should consider this and REconsider the changes.

I think a lot of people are going to jump ship very soon
 22ogot
Msg: 261
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:17:52 AM
im having the same trouble , i have beenon this sight for three years and finally i found a lady friend that messaged me back then pof has shut me down no messages same message , this is bull .
 22ogot
Msg: 262
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:20:28 AM
i caould understand a profile make a claim against a certian age but when that profile replyes and seem happy to do so whay is there a gae restriction . it is though pof is playing god this is not a fair way to conduct business
 22ogot
Msg: 263
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:22:14 AM
i certinally agree marcus is trying to paly god this is not right marcus eather open up this age bull or get hit with a law suit ,:modhammer:
 22ogot
Msg: 264
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:26:50 AM
this is so stuped why would any human try to tell another human what age he can or can not talk to . im 68 years old and i have ladies 40 and younger to text me and message me al the time why would you stop that ??? if a women wished a sugar daddy and wanta to move in who is gona stop that , that is gods way of telling thet person to be happy and could care less about the age gap ?? come on marcus your lloosing it buddy ??? or god ,
 Private4u2012
Msg: 265
view profile
History
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:30:00 AM
Really? Do we need someone deciding who we can communicate with? This is not acceptable, probably illegal and certainly morally wrong, ageist and dictatorial.
People I have been communicating with for ages can no longer msg me and the message they receive is that I have determined that they are the incorrect age or gender, when I have not...This has to end.
 22ogot
Msg: 266
Simple Fix
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:31:01 AM
loom there should be no restricvtions ? this is a free sight . or supposed to be >> im starting to think that it is all about up grading so you have to pay to send a message , it "s getting more clear that if you up grade you can message all day . personally i use the 25 to 99 for it gives me more messages to reply and gives me some thing to do ?? maby i;ll get lucky or not , but i will receive more mail i bettcha , haha come on marcus stop playing god , this is america right ????
 sailslow
Msg: 268
view profile
History
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:46:23 AM
Marcus is clearly showing his lack of personal maturity and understanding of modern dating here.

He started this site because no one would date him and he had to build his own kingdom, he now has a god complex.

Just because women much younger than he is won't date him, he can't possibly imagine why a younger woman would date someone older. I met a 27 year old on here last year, she contacted me, she was emotionally mature and we dated for several months and had a great time. Now I wouldn't date the 19 year old that was hitting on me at a party last weekend no matter how good looking she was, but that is up to me.

Marcus, grow up.

I'm a psychologist and I always coach my clients... Think not about the what.... what they do and the reason(excuses) they give for doing it, but rather the why.

"The first problem your patient brings you is never the real problem."

Marcus, what is really the problem here? Why? Why? Why?
 Justincj83
Msg: 269
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:53:35 AM
I still don't understand why me (A 29 year old) Is not able to search someone that is 21. That's 8 years. Yet i can seach for 43 year old women. Give me a f'ing break.
 Dylan_James_Keenan
Msg: 270
Posted: 5/21/2013 6:56:34 AM
I'm quite disappointed by this new rule myself. And I'm a 25 year old male. My preferred dating range is 40+. Who is "marcus" to tell me otherwise? I've met several lovely women from pof who were 40+, and women in that age range have the option to decline a conversation request with me. Simple as that. Talk about being drunk on power!
 HelenBackAgain
Msg: 271
Posted: 5/21/2013 7:19:19 AM

Having a daughter that age myself I can understand his motivation.

I find it hard to imagine that any daughter of yours wouldn't read and understand her options here, and use the age restriction if she wished.

For those less fortunate in comprehension capability, making it required that all users choose age restrictions should suffice nicely, rather than applying a blanket restriction to all which is inappropriate and counter-productive for many.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 272
Posted: 5/21/2013 7:31:31 AM
For those less fortunate in comprehension capability, making it required that all users choose age restrictions should suffice nicely, rather than applying a blanket restriction to all which is inappropriate and counter-productive for many.

If having to choose an age range is something that could be easily implemented by users who are opening new profiles through their cell phones, as well as those with existing profiles, then I agree it would be the best solution.
 landlordpof
Msg: 273
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 7:45:11 AM
well whats gonna happen love is marcus is gonna lose his large male base. those same women that complain about men too young or too old will find themselves lacking the choice picks of those very same men who have long since left this site for greener pastures. there are already a couple sites and entrepreneurs looking capitalize, gain new customers,the losses from this site. to be honest id rather go pay site and have freedom of choice anyways. now it will be less selection for women and bad business for pof. will most likely delete profile soon. come on gents off to the bars and clubs we go
 CuriousInKamloops
Msg: 275
Message Restrictions
Posted: 5/21/2013 8:02:04 AM
Well let's see we can no longer contact anyone +/- 14 years in age nor reply if they contact us. Yet we can freely click on ad banners for "big boys wanted" "transexual lovers" "adult friendfinders" "Just hookups" etc. etc. that pay Markus by the click or whatever terms they have agreed to. Which most likely include membership numbers?

Am I the only one that sees this as hypocritical?

Personally I DO chat with ladies both younger and older and yes some are more than 14 years +/- big deal how does the age make it a hookup? Don't people inside the +/- rule ever hookup? If Markus and his dictatorial advisors think imposing these rules will stop anything they are sadly mistaken after all how does that mother of invention quote go? :)
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >