Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would you do, if you were a god?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Cynderella
Msg: 76
view profile
History
What would you do, if you were a god?Page 4 of 12    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12)
If I were God...I would fire myself for the last bad job I did!

Note to self create new universe in 6 days...
 PROTON67
Msg: 77
What would you do, if you were a god?
Posted: 8/6/2013 12:38:18 PM
I would start by killing off all the mosquitoes.
 timeforall
Msg: 78
Posted: 8/6/2013 2:37:43 PM
Paul, if Christianity dictates I will burn in hell if I reject Jesus, how the heck do I have free will to reject Jesus? If you point a gun at me and proclaim my money or my life, do I have free will to reject your demand for money given the consequences of doing so? So yea . . . by a strict definition we are given "free will". Only problem is we are punished for exercising that free will, which in effect means we have no free will at all. This is so obvious I am not sure how anybody from your faith can really dispute this.

Never mind, I see Demigod beat me to it.

Jesus was required to die, to act as a sacrifice, for the sins of other people.

Never understood this either. We all die. I've heard it said when Jesus died on the cross, he was merely having a bad weekend compared to what many others were going through at the time. So why is his death given special meaning? Other than it was ordained by God?
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 79
Posted: 8/6/2013 6:41:59 PM
If I was god I would leave this earth to fight for themselves to keep it going and start some new drama somewhere else in the galaxy !
Posted: 8/7/2013 2:01:04 AM
I would change how the human female's reproductive system operates -

- Alternating between being infertile for 3 months, and fertile for 1 week.

- No menstrual or other pain or extreme swings.

- Not as much difficulty with stimulation and ability to orgasm via one thing versus the other.

- Males: More typical that there is no recuperation period between "shots", and capable of several per session.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 81
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2013 5:14:46 AM

What happens after death is different in different christian religions. Some believe that you go to hell eternally, some believe you go to a place where you spend some time "cleaning up your act", some believe that you simply and plainly cease to exist, some believe that you no longer are in the presecne of God, and not being in the presence of God is hell.

Places like "purgatory" and "limbo" were simply made up by the Roman Catholic Church (I guess they were disturbed by the idea of unbaptized babies going to hell and deathbed confessors going directly to heaven). This idea of hell as a "separation from God" was also just thought up by liberal Christians, who didn't like the idea that their loving god would torture people for all eternity. These ideas are not contained in the Bible, nor do they have a basis in fact - it's just people making things up because they didn't like the alternative.

You and Demi..... both made the same error in not acknowledging the fact that all christianity has a way to achieve "Salvation". Just because you strayed, does not automatically mean that you are doomed. What all Christian relgions have in common is that they all have a mechanism by which you can achieve salvation. While the choices may be very hard, you STILL have the power to make those choices, so can you say that you don't have free will? ALL christianity gives people a way out........ IF people don't choose the right path, that is up to them..... nobody forced them to make the choice they did.

And yet this "salvation" is simply God temporarily sacrificing himself so that he may "forgive" people. In short, it's God saving you from himself. "Salvation" wouldn't be necessary if God simply learned to forgive people (or respected the choices that they made).

Obvious? No, you couldn't be more wrong. Simple question..... Would you have a choice to make? Of course...... you may really, really not like one of the choices that is presented to you, BUT, you still have the choice to make. What you consider being puinished for making a certain choice does not remove your ability to make the choice, it just makes it harder. Unless you cannot make a choice, then you don't have free will............ Whether or not the result of your choice is difficult is not at issue.

A robber is taken to court for shooting someone for money. In court he defends himself by saying: "I did not force him to do anything - I gave him a choice. He may not have liked the choices presented, but he still had to make a choice and he was still able to make a choice - I did not deny this to him. He may have really disliked the choice that he made and found it difficult, but that is not an issue with his ability to make that choice. The victim is dead because he made a choice using his own free will." Tell me, what kind of jury would find such a defense reasonable? Isn't it plainly obvious that the robber's "choice" was an illusion, and that what he really did was try to force a certain action upon his victim (thus denying him his choice)?
 DragonBits
Msg: 82
Posted: 8/7/2013 5:17:58 AM
I would date much taller women.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2013 7:56:12 PM

First of all, there was no denial of choice....... The victum could have chosen to give the bad guy his money, instead he chose to take his chances with the gunman for whatever reason....... How then can you say there was no choice. We keep going round and round this mullberry bush, and it really doesn't make not difference what exammple that you bring up. IF the victum could have chosen differently, then there was FREE WILL INVOLVED. There are lots of examples where there is no free will involved. If on jumps out of an airplane, without a parachute, that person cannot at that point decide to fly and land without injury....... Guess what......... no choice but to splat...... no free will.

What if someone pushes that person out of the plane because they refused to give them their wallet? That would be a much closer analogy to my example - and in both cases the result is almost certain death (the only difference is the time delay). You also seem to have missed the main point of my argument, which is what when a person threatens you with your life then they are explicitly denying you a "free choice". In order for "free will" to be of any value, the choices you make must be unconstrained (in other words, you make your choice because you really want to). When someone is forced into a decision that they do not want to make, then they can justly claim that they were made to do so "AGAINST THEIR WILL". How can you possibly equate being forced into a decision, at the risk of your life or otherwise, to be compatible with free will? Again, what jury in the world would be convinced that the robber allowed their victim to make a "free choice" by utilizing their "free will"?

Any computer in the world can make a choice (I write computer programs everyday that do this). A "free" choice explicitly means that there is nothing forcing you into making a choice. For instance, I have free choice to eat eggs or cereal for breakfast in the morning - I can eat either one of them without any major negative repercussions for doing so. Paying my bills, however, is NOT a free choice, since there are severe financial repercussions for not doing so (in other words, there are external pressures that force me into making a particular choice). Similarly, if God threatens people with hell for not worshiping him (however "hell" wants to be defined) then God does NOT give mankind free will - instead, God forces you into a particular decision, thus it is a forced/coerced choice.

God does forgive people, but just not in the manner that YOU wish him to do. Twist it around any way you like, because at this point you are arguing that the "rules" of Christianity are not right. Well, thank you for your opinion, but as I've said many times, this is a belief system based on faith. If you don't like the way it is administered, then don't believe it, because when you try to change it, as you have been arguing for, it seems like you would believe, but only IF the rules met your standards.

To "forgive" is to pardon someone of an offense or debt (look up the definition!). If God demands some sacrifice/payment for forgiveness (Jesus) then he doesn't actually "forgive". If you owe me a hundred dollars and I say that I'll forgive your debts if you pay me a hundred dollars, am I really "forgiving" you?

Furthermore, faith cannot be used as a defense. Nothing is immune to logic/reason, and religion cannot get a free pass by relying on "faith" (how is this anything else than a refusal to think critically?).
 campdraftkid
Msg: 84
Posted: 8/7/2013 8:47:07 PM
if you dont know by now i feel sorry for you
 Chipsss
Msg: 85
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 11:22:03 AM
If I was God I would open up the clouds and poop out some unicorns.
 VernonOrdinaryGuy
Msg: 86
Posted: 8/8/2013 3:12:54 PM
I lean towards the idea of absolute power corrupts absolutely...so we'd mostly spend our time fulfilling base desires/random thoughts.

I think its said that men think about sex once every minute and women like once every 45 seconds? It might be an overused psychological cliché statement but if its true....that's pretty frequent. If a god were a woman or man, a 'stay thought' about 'that cute girl/guy/dog/your preference' could become reality via thought alone, I think you'd unintentionally create changes. Whether it be changing someone's physical appearance, creating or causing attraction to occur or even projecting emotions onto others.

If said change resulted in an attraction or intimate moment lasting (we'll say god's take 45 minutes) but only took a moment to start and happened every minute after the previous moment had finished, I think you'd almost literately never stop accidentally creating these moments except for the need to eat, sleep and other basis necessities. You'd almost need to live your life in solace in order to actually 'live' a life as a God or create people whom are immune to your 'infinite' powers in your small secluded community.

In doing so, you'd no longer be omnipotent though and just an ordinary person; only able to effect others via your actions, thoughts and presence like any other human being -- ideally for the good of the community and not just yourself. If you consider, in advance, that you'd be losing your 'godhood', two fundamental choices come up in the community's design. One, do you want to build Utopia even though it might be a bit 'boring' having only-good, no problems and nothing bad ever happens (IE, only-sunny days forever /w the "perfect" temperature) or do you build an imperfect world to give people a chance to improve it and something to do(IE the occasional rainy day to make the sunny days seem better/more appreciated)?

Second, do you make your community 'isolated' or allow other immune to your powers to enter the community? I think you'd have to choose isolation or you'd once again be tempted to -- if only by fleeting thoughts -- manipulate that person. If you are going to isolate your community -- how? Creating a dome around small area of earth seems impractical in that people outside would always try to get inside for exploration sake and would probably eventually succeed. Also, those inside might be the explorer type that want to see the world, study abroad, etc. How would they ever leave the dome without letting people in? If everyone leaves the dome, then your community is no longer a community and you'd be back to living in isolation.

I think the easiest method would be to create a planet somewhere in the universe far away from other non-immune humans. Then, the said humans can travel anywhere on the planet, evolve, create art, music and have families or whatever their free-will desires while still fundamentally being isolated --- yet with freedom. Like a planet-sized cage. As long as that planet is 10,000 light years away from any other humans, really the planet could be a cage for a million or perhaps a few billion years worth of scientific and biological evolution.

I think as a myself, ideally, I'd hope for the place to be moral and decent. I would prefer it not to be a den of 'sin, torture and all things 'wrong'. Maybe I while being 'God' before limiting myself by making everyone immune to me might pass down basic-moral commandments. 10 could be a good number. I'd hope I could think of some really good ones though like do not harm children for any reason by action or inaction, 'treat others as you would like to be treated, do not kill unless to save the life of another, do not allow harm to come to others by inaction unless the harm saves the life of another, etc etc'. People might doubt that I'm God though so before limiting myself -- I guess I would need to perform some kind of 'Miraculous' events that could only be done with near-infinite power or omnipotence. Maybe, returning from the dead, splitting the sea in half and making inanimate objects talk, become sentient and have life -- perhaps a burning bush might do.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 5:37:19 PM

Threatened with being pushed out of an airplane, a gun pointing at you, someone holding a syringe filled with HIV tainted blood, it makes NO difference. You keep changing the scenario, but it doesn't make any difference. What is constant is that there are two options: One to go along, and one not to go along and face some type of dire result............. YOU, the victum still has the right to MAKE THE CHOICE. THAT is free will at work. The CHOICE itself may be so dire that no person would choose one of the two choices, BUT, they still have the FREE WILL to make that choice. Now you are sounding like my daughter when she was 5 years old..... " Yeah, but Dad, what if ......" Whether or not you are co-erced, as you say, or not, you STILL have the right to make that choice, hence, FREE WILL.

Once again, you are confusing the simple ability to make choices with the ability to make free choices. As most dictionary definitions have it, free will is the ability to make choices that are unconstrained, choices which are freely and voluntarily made. How is it that you cannot tell the difference between a forced action and a free action? Frankly, I'd be scared to have you in a jury box, since evidently you believe that a victim of an armed robbery had "free will", thus made a "free choice" to be robbed or shot.

Who ever said that religion was logical in the first place? There is nothing logical about something that people believe in that is based in faith. YOU are the one placing that requirement of it. NO one ever claimed that religion is logical, if they do claim so, they are mistaken. YOU can start the "Religion of the Logical", which would be very interesting, and would probably attract a lot of parishoners.............

You've obviously never been to theology school, have you? Do you think theology professors spend hours lecturing their students how everything is illogical? Why do you think people write massive tomes on religions like Christianity, laying out in minute detail the reasons for belief? (I still have my 1000+ page study book on Systematic Theology) Why do philosophers like William Lane Craig defend Christianity using logic? Why did people like Thomas Aquinas try to create logical proofs for the existence of God? Furthermore, why are people moved when they experience a supposed miracle, or see statues weeping oil/blood? Because it gives them an indication that their religion is real, that God exists! Aside from the occasional raving lunatic, most believers hold to their belief because they believe it to be true (they might not believe everything, but certainly the core things, like the existence of God). And most believers will try to defend their beliefs using logic (faith is only used as a fallback position, when there is no logical way to do so).
 Demigod1979
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 7:43:34 PM
Thank you for mis-stating what is obvious. Only one more time............. FREE WILL means that you have a choice to make. YOU confuse the ability that a human has to make a choice with a choice that you sometimes do not consider a FREE choice because the consequences of one of the choices may be very dire.

I never said that the victum of an armed robbery had the free will to make a, what you call, "free choice" to be robbed or shot. I said that if the robber pointed a gun at you, and said your money or your life, THEN, YES, free will comes into play, because you have a choice to make, and the choice YOU make is up to YOU. YES, one of the choices may bring death, but then the gun could always misfire......... that has happened.

Once again, the definition of free will includes being unconstrained in the choices you make:

From Wikipedia (emphasis mine):

Free will is the ability of agents to make choices unconstrained by certain factors. Factors of historical concern have included metaphysical constraints (such as logical, nomological, or theological determinism), physical constraints (such as chains or imprisonment), social constraints (such as threat of punishment or censure, or structural constraints), and mental constraints (such as compulsions or phobias, neurological disorders, or genetic predispositions).

Galileo was forced to retract his beliefs on the solar system on pain of torture. Did he do this out of his own free will? The answer is NO - it was FORCED upon him. This is such an obvious difference that I cannot believe that you still don't get it!

I have never been to theology school....... have you?

Yes, I have.

You are absolutely 100% correct in that there is no logical way to defend religious belief..... which is WHY it must be taken on FAITH. You see, when you get to the very bottom line, we agree.

Wow, did you ever miss the point. What I said is that religious people will use logic and reason to defend their beliefs, only relying on faith when they have no other choice. In other words, faith is a fallback position, not the default reason for believing.
 Despickabill
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 8:44:20 PM
Well, being a god is a humble experience. We don't brag about what we do, what we've achieved. Nor do we discuss it with uncouth mortals.
 cesska
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2013 9:12:03 PM
after I heal all
I would let them know the answers to all there questions
 Demigod1979
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2013 5:13:37 AM

Only one question..........

Could Galileo have not retracted his beliefs on the solar system?

Answer:

YES.

You are missing the point of free will. The question is, in retracting his beliefs on the solar system, did Galileo do so:

1) Out of his own free will
2) Against his (free) will

Can the existence of Jesus be proved? NO...... belief in his existence has to be taken by FAITH.

There is more than enough evidence to believe that a preacher/teacher called Jesus actually existed. Whether this Jesus did all the things mentioned in the gospels is a different story, but belief in his existence is pretty well-established (mythicists are few and far between).

Well you obviously didn’t pay attention,because if you did you should know that the Catholic and Protestant interpretation of free will is entirely different. In a nutshell Catholics believe in free will and Protestants don’t. If you have been to theology school you should know something basic like that.Wheeling out Galileo is totally irrelevant to a theological interpretation of free will.

That depends on whether you adhere to Calvinism or Arminianism. Strict Calvinists do not believe in free will, but Arminians believe that the fate of each person is their own (free will). Not all protestants can be painted with the same brush.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvinism
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arminianism
 gingerosity
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2013 6:53:33 AM
Armenian Arminians are arming minions...

Well if I were a god they would be.
 ladyc4
Msg: 93
Posted: 8/9/2013 1:04:12 PM

RESIGN the position, effective immediately!
Cindy O
 Demigod1979
Msg: 94
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2013 3:28:17 PM

I think that I understand why you are not getting it. Free will is ONLY the ability to make a choice. The consequences of that choice have nothing to do with free will, except that they are the consequences. Whether or not the individual feels at the time that they MUST make one choice over the other...... guess what.... they STILL had the capability to make that choice. You have to be able to separate the two. You seem to think that if the consequence is not the one desired, then at that point, the person making the choice somehow magically no longer had free will. Being put in a situation where the lesser of the two or more choices is very bad does NOT remove the FACT that you STILL have the capability to make that choice.

Under your interpretation of "free will", there would have to be a gradient scale of free will. For example, if a person holding a gun to your head said, "Your money or your life", you still have the capacity to make a choice...... If they said, "Your money or I will shoot you in the leg"....... well, different story, because if you had millions and millions to lose, being shot in the leg might be a better alternative than losing everything. Then one would have to consider whether the pain and agony would be worth the potential loss. STILL, the common denominator would be that YOU would still have the capability to make that decision. Not liking the potential outcome does not remove ones capacity of free will to make choices.

And under your interpretation my computer has free will, since it has the ability to make choices! What a concept! Also, the key issue is not the consequence of a choice but the willingness of an individual to make it. Choices that lead to death are the most extreme examples (something that virtually none of us desire) but there are various reasons for why someone wouldn't want to do something (conversely, if someone actually wanted to die then it would deny them free will to keep them alive). As I indicated earlier, most definitions of free will include being free from certain constraints. Unnecessary external pressures, like someone holding a gun to your head, or threatening you with torture, qualify as constraints. It seems to me that you are using your very own definition of free will.

There is that magic word......... "BELIEVE". Why believe if it cannot be proven? Circumstantial evidence is "iffy" at best most of the time, especially when discussing religion.

Perhaps you are not aware of how history works? There is no way to prove anything in history (you cannot repeat it or hold it in your hands). History is all about what probably happened, and in the sense, Jesus probably existed, just like Alexander the Great probably existed (BTW, this is why miracles are automatically ruled out by most historians, since they are the least probable events of all).

What Calvinists and Arminianists believe is not relevant here. But out of curiousity, are you referring to Orthodox Armenians?

I think many different Christian groups adhere to Arminianism (the Wiki article lists some).
 Demigod1979
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Posted: 8/9/2013 5:56:29 PM

No, not quite........ When I depress the "a" key, can it of its own volition print out a "s"? NO.... because it is programmed to show an "a" when the "a" key is depressed. Correct me if I am wrong, but a computer is nothing more than a ver, VERY complicated "If this is done, Then That happens" kind of a thing.............. So your computer does not have free will.

You specifically said that the "ability to make choices" defines free will :p (also, I can create a program that prints out random letters and/or makes random decisions).

The willingness to make one choice over another is almost always due to the consequences that the choice will bring. The more horrific the consequences, the more likey it is that a person will not make the choice that brings those consequences. That having been said, they STILL have the free will TO make that choice.......... Again, that is where martyrs come in.

Martyrs are those who willingly choose to sacrifice themselves:

"One who chooses to suffer death rather than renounce religious principles." - thefreedictionary.com
"A person who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty of witnessing to and refusing to renounce a religion." - Merriam-Webster

As I said in my last post, if a person actually wants to die for whatever reason, then denying it would be a violation of their free will.

Furthermore, a person's willingness isn't always because of horrible consequences (for instance, a vegan/vegetarian could be forced to eat meat, which would violate his free will, yet won't lead to death or torture). Again, what's important is what the person wants to do. If they are freely allowed to do it (that is, without any unnecessary constraints and restrictions) then they have free will. If not, then they don't.

Going back to the example of the robber, why do we prosecute people for robbery? What fault did the robber commit if everyone was making choices out of their own free will? After all, if I willingly let you take money from me then it's not considered robbery. If everyone always has free will for such things, then where's the crime?
 Demigod1979
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Posted: 8/10/2013 8:05:29 PM
First of all, we prosecute people because they have done what was procribed in a law that was passed by duly elected people in our societies. The ACT of the robber in giving you a choice of either living and giving your money to him, or dying and giving your money to him is one of those acts that was made illegal by passage of a law. When you DECIDE to give your money to a robber, it is a decison that you made, because the alternative was not acceptable to you. You are NOT giving your money willingly, you are giving it under duress.

That's right, the victim is not giving their money willingly. This matters greatly in deciding whether a crime has been committed (consent). In other words, the victim is forced to give their money against their will. There is nothing free about this, thus saying that the victim exercised "free will" is misleading at best. Just because you can make a choice does not mean that it was a free choice (this is the key concept which I have been trying to get across to you). You seem to be under the mistaken notion that if someone has the ability to make a choice that it is a free choice, made by free will (which means that no one can be forced into a choice and makes all choices freely, and that means a robber can never be prosecuted for robbery, since their victim made a free choice to give their money).
Posted: 8/11/2013 8:55:56 AM
I would try to catch all of the other gods taking a sh!t, or having an orgy together, and snap a picture of it and put it on my site - mygodbook dot com.
 JustDukky
Msg: 98
Posted: 8/11/2013 4:12:14 PM
I would try to catch all of the other gods taking a sh!t, or having an orgy together, and snap a picture of it and put it on my site - mygodbook dot com.

I'd only threaten to & see what they cough up for hush money first...Everybody knows that banksters are the new gods (or the antichrist, depending on your point of view)

Come to think of it, if I were a god, I'd probably foreclose on the banks & do all my "children" a favour by giving them back their money that was stolen by fraud.
 Demigod1979
Msg: 99
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2013 8:15:45 PM

I'd only threaten to & see what they cough up for hush money first...Everybody knows that banksters are the new gods (or the antichrist, depending on your point of view)

Come to think of it, if I were a god, I'd probably foreclose on the banks & do all my "children" a favour by giving them back their money that was stolen by fraud.

Well, in that case, I'd rain down a whole lot of free money as well. This might be a minor technical point (and I might be veering wildly off-topic here), but the banks do not actually have a lot of physical money - most of the money in the economy, anywhere from 95% to 99%, is debt money, created by the banks in the form of interest-bearing loans (despite popular misconceptions, banks do not lend out existing money - they create brand new money as debt when they make a "loan", a result of our fractional-reserve banking system). If the banks go under, then this money disappears as well, meaning there will be a severe shortage of cash. To make up for it, I would rain down trillions dollars of free money from the sky. :)
 Freudian
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 8/11/2013 9:19:34 PM
If I were a god.

I'd get bored after a few eons of playing marbles with stars and create life. I'd probably nudge it a little to get it going in the right direction and wait to see how it turned out. Then when some form came along that struck my fancy, I'd nudge it a bit and make it sentient. I'd model the thought processes after my own so they were could understand me and in turn I could understand them. Then I'd wait a while and see how they progressed.

If they did ok, I'd contact one of them that struck my fancy and tell him what was up and where he came from. Then I'd watch for a while longer to see how he turned out and what his heirs did. If they kept screwing up, I'd nudge them from time to time to try and keep them on a path that led to greater contentment. Still watching and they keep screwing up. So, I'd dress up like them, take and visit and try to teach them directly one on one. If that didn't work, I'd set back and let them flounder for a millennium, or two, or three.

If they still can't figure out how to control themselves and learn to work together, I might just wipe the slate clean and start over from scratch.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > What would you do, if you were a god?