Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 ellymyosotis
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Astrological signs do you rely on them?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
No I don't rely on them but do enjoy the fun this thread makes.

I am late October. I was a Libra and then back in the 80's considered on the cusp(what ever that means) and then in some papers a Scorpio. Now back to being a Librian.

If anyone can be bothered and many years ago I did sadly read every description of a birthsign and now believe they can be interchanged to another. It is wording, use of grammer and certainly the media use it as a hook up so descriptions are widely bland.
 daver987654
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Astrological signs do you rely on them?
Posted: 6/1/2013 1:58:27 AM
The presenter at a recent wine tasting event says that the moons does influence when they plant and harvest. At full moon the grapes have less water and therefore ass the wine is made just from pure grape juice it is fuller, has more flavour and a higher alcohol content.
 Jo van
Msg: 10
Posted: 6/1/2013 10:24:54 AM

.Astrology comes from Ancient Greece, "horoscopes, " are basically traits people born at certain times have in common, at a certain date, a certain time, a certain minute have in common.

Yeah, right...
"Ancient" people believed in all sorts of old bollocks, that doesn't mean "we" need to.
The people who 'peddle' this drivel are charlatans, just like the people who peddle "god" myths, and "spiritualists".

There should be a law against the blatant exploitation of the feeble-minded, the confused, the vulnerable, and the hard-of-thinking. Anyone who takes this gibberish seriously, needs protection from themselves.

To claim the planets have no effect on us is ignorance.

To claim that they can be used to "predict the future", or predict the personality traits of individuals, or how they will be thinking, feeling, or acting, is a complete sham, and only "believed" by the most gullible and "suggestible" of people.

The Moon affects the tides, we are made up 0f 40% water, the moon does affect us.

We're about 57% water, apparently, but it's not evenly distributed,( -which is how MRI scanners are able to work)
The "weak force" of gravity is not yet fully understood, whether that's the moon's, other planet's, or the earth's.
But if you're suggesting that the brain is somehow prone to some sort of lunar "tidal surges", which 'affect' us, you're talking bollocks.

People have lived outside of the earth's gravitational pull, quite successfully, and for prolonged periods of time, without any adverse 'mental' effects, or notable changes in behaviour or 'personality'.

Just ask anyone whos worked in a mental hospital.

Yeah, 'cos such "anecdotal evidence" be "proof" to you, won't it..?

You cant really on Take a Break for anything.

Which "astrological" charts would you recommend..?
"Hello" magazine's, the Daily Mirror's....?
Or perhaps, Russel Grant's..?

Off-topic:
I wonder if you'd also be interested in some Magic Beans that I've got...?
I'm not really using them, and I'd be prepared to let them go, at a bargain price.....
 Jo van
Msg: 11
Posted: 6/1/2013 4:29:05 PM

You make an art form out of ignorance,

^^This is correct, in the sense that comedy is an "art form", of sorts.
When I see ignorance, it always makes me laugh. (Well, not always, but often)
Some of the funniest 'characters' are those, like 'David Brent', where the comedy lies in his delusion that he's clever, and 'cool', but everyone else knows that he isn't.

science simply offers a map of 3d reality, whats beyond that it does not know.

(It's 4d in reality, but:)
Yeah, who needs reality anyway...?
And who needs science anyway...?
Just because it allows you to type gibberish on dating sites, we'd all be better-off reading "Tarot Cards", and listening to the good advice of "astrologers".

Anyone who claims science is the only reality is the biggest bs merchant of all.

I have sent you a "psychic message".
I hope that clarifies things...
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2013 3:08:38 PM
Well if logical mind is right. . . Bring it on!
 Chuzz16
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2013 8:45:54 AM

Also, my astrological hell is Libra and i always fight with a Libra. works for me 100 %.....

I'm a Libran. I fight with everyone, I don't think it has anything to do with star signs. I'm just a stroppy bint. :))
 ObjectStupidity
Msg: 14
Posted: 6/13/2013 12:41:45 PM
Its a load of old cobblers....but funny to read when im sat bored in the mess....

Each to their own eh
 daver987654
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 6/13/2013 2:49:23 PM
Shoots like a girl. That's the way to get hurt. Push forward, lean into it man.
 Jo van
Msg: 16
Posted: 6/14/2013 11:06:17 AM

Actually, you may as well call astrology a science.

Astrology has been falsified, by testing it, scientifically, and objectively.
It's certainly not science, it's "pseudoscience", a complete sham.

You forgot about the third group of people: those with open minds, who have investigated this "science" further and realise it's total bunkum.

Poly is correct.
In short: the sane.

There's a continual arrogance regarding much of scientific thinking that should not be there.

This is an accusation I've often heard leveled at science, usually by those who are annoyed that scientifically testing and measuring things, actually contradicts their (often) ridiculous assertions.
eg., religious people, believers in the "supernatural/astrology", and other charlatans, who make false claims about their 'products/beliefs', which are not vindicated by reality.

A scientific theory should be seen as an untruth that hasn't yet been found to be
untrue.

You seem to be confusing a "scientific theory", with a "myth".
They are quite different.

Isaac Newton, one of the giants of scientific endeavour, was wrong. But this is how we
make scientific progress and deepen our knowledge.

When scientists are "wrong", they tend to be the first to say so.
Their "discipline" is truth, and the finding of it.
One of my favourite Socrates quotes is "One thing only I know, and that is that I know nothing".
Exactly what we know, is constantly changing, thanks to science.

Man made global warming is a disgrace to science. Heavily reliant on computer modelling and light on
empiricism. Unhelpful data or mild complexity in the real world is suppressed and any old theoretical maths
is shoved into computer models so they can get helpful results. Keep the funding spigot on, why not. It's so
politicised too and its adherents are more reactionary than some people of faith.

The people who are drawn to this crock of piffle are usually the educated and the well off....mostly Westerners.
Those, who will have to make the necessary economic adjustment will be the voiceless poor. Of course it's the left
again, the progressives, everything is always new under their sun. Man made global warming is a variant on the Malthusian ideas of the last two centuries whose disciples dogmatically believe every country is over populated and should be controlled. Maybe they should go to a country where population is actually falling and live there.

If you want to argue about the veracity of the global warming theory, then start a thread (Or 'bump' an old one) , and state your case against it. This isn't that thread.
Do you think it's just possible that those* with a 'vested interest' in "rubbishing" what the science seems to show, (*Oil, gas, coal companies etc) might just have the funds and 'infrastructure',( 'lobbyists' and so on) to have subliminally influenced your (and others') apparent scepticism..?

I'm tired of free thinkers and their orthodoxies.

This seems like something of an 'oxymoron', or at least a contradiction. IMO.
"Free thinkers" are.... erm... "free", from "orthodoxies".
In that respect, they are much like otters.

Science will eventually make fools of them. Intellectual honesty,
constant scrutiny and humility is key, its only in that mindset that science is at its most wonderful.

Science is wonderful, and all of those attributes ^^ are always necessary, (along with objectivity)
it's just that sometimes, ( some) people let it down.
 GeordieColin
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2013 3:49:51 PM

I totally agree with a88ie1 ... She is 100% right ... I have same experience as she does. It always works for me as well.

I can always get along with a fire sign which is what I am.. and I always fall out with a libra which is what the horoscopes have told me is my worst enemy ... Those people who dismiss the science of star signs as myth and legend are merely doing that because of two reasons. Either they are ignorant and their minds are closed to the possibilities, or they have not bothered to investigate this science further in their lives.

According to the horoscopes I am an aries and I always get along with other fire signs too.
This is always the case for me when I meet another fire sign.

Also, my astrological hell is Libra and i always fight with a Libra. works for me 100 %.....
'
So lucid that you say the same thing twice.
Where is the Science in Astrology?
 Smokingcrispmonster
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2013 11:57:07 AM
I appear to be the complete opposite of my star sign Virgo!
 GeordieColin
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2013 1:20:34 PM
^^^ But I am just starting my 2nd bought of tooth shedding. I hate you already!
 curviest
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 7/10/2013 3:23:45 AM
No, I do not believe in astrology or that their are traits that go with certain star signs.

You'll find that no Cancerians believe in astrology, because we all have a cynical streak.
 Strider886
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2017 12:33:31 PM
It absolutely is complete and utter BS, it's the simple minded looking for a way to explain how the world works and a quick dirty way to stereotype people........
 try1more
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2017 6:22:59 PM
"It absolutely is complete and utter BS, it's the simple minded looking for a way to explain how the world works and a quick dirty way to stereotype people........"

now that was funny!!
coming from a forumite that spends most of his posts stereotyping women :-)
 Strider886
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2017 2:30:22 PM

coming from a forumite that spends most of his posts stereotyping women :-)

When a stereotype is proven to be true, it is no longer a stereotype.
 Squareslice
Msg: 26
Posted: 3/18/2017 5:47:06 PM
does it become a monotype or are you just mono tracked?
 Cynderella
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2017 11:22:34 PM
Now that NASA says there's a 13 sign for which I am...I'm all f*cked up
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/19/2017 2:48:45 AM
Msg 58....proven in your own mind does not a fact make.

I've a few friends who, while not basing relationships or their lives around this stuff, do believe star signs carry certain traits.
It's one thing I've never asked someone, although I've been asked myself.

^^^The 13th sign.....often depicted as a man grasping the snake....yeh right :)
 RoxyMoronic
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/22/2017 7:42:34 PM
^^^^Crazy that someone would place so much importance on something like this.
For it to make the slightest bit of sense (to me) they'd have had to date quite a few people of every other sign. That way it could be rationalised because one could say that he's basing it on past experiences.
 Squareslice
Msg: 33
Posted: 3/23/2017 1:03:29 AM
Being a taurean, I stand by it being bull.
 DAFT_DOG
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2017 1:04:52 AM
Being a pisces... i find it all very fishy if you ask me ! :O)
 Steve_Sandy
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 3/23/2017 3:14:05 AM
Recall a few years ago, one of the planets was deemed to be too small to be a planet and was designated an asteroid or something, people had to change all the tables to make them fit.

it is an interesting idea that sells almanacks at the seaside, but not to be taken seriously :)
 Squareslice
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/23/2017 9:12:46 AM

Recall a few years ago, one of the planets was deemed to be too small to be a planet and was designated an asteroid or something, people had to change all the tables to make them fit.

it is an interesting idea that sells almanacks at the seaside, but not to be taken seriously :)

and what happened to Astrology after it was found there were more than 7 planets? Phineas T Barnum could not have done a better job than astrologers!
 10ky
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/23/2017 10:24:06 AM
Astrology is pure bollocks to say it as it is. There can be absolutely no doubt about that. It's one of the purest forms of bullshite on the planet and the evil thing about it is the fact that the charlatans (astrologers) make it look like a science and prey on the gullible the way they do.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >