Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > High school reunions      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Doremi_Fasolatido
Msg: 45
view profile
History
High school reunionsPage 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
My 40th reunion is next year. Sometime. I have'nt been to any of the previous HS reunions though. When I graduated I moved on and never looked back.

I graduated in 1974. Who remembers what the big fad was back then?? Can you say STREAKERS... Well, at my graduation there were two of them. The ceremony was in the football stadium and yes, there they went across the field and out the back gate. I never did find out who they were.

I ought to find out when the reunion is next year. You sure won't catch me streaking but it would'nt surprise me if someone did.... At this age that would be wrong on so many levels though....
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 46
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 7:19:12 AM
^^^^^

Also graduated in 1974. Can still fit in the same jeans. Then again, if streaking wouldn't be wearing any. I remember a few of us met up two years later and played 'Pong'...we were quite cutting edge university know-it-alls by then.
 yerkiddinrite
Msg: 47
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 8:45:19 AM
I'm going to my 35th high school reunion in a couple of months..........the last one I went to was our 10 year and I was married then. Now I'm single. I recently met up with our class nerd on Facebook a few months ago and guess what? He is no longer a nerd and actually looks pretty darn good. He is coming in from out of state and I'm looking forward to seeing him again. He's single now too!
 trinity818
Msg: 48
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 8:57:50 AM
I graduated early, in January 78' in Indiana. I didn't even go to the ceremony in June...just picked up my diploma at the school. All but one of my friends were at least a year older and I had already been out of school for 6 months.

Here we are...35 years and at least 20 addresses later. I now live in Florida and have a different last name and they STILL managed to find me to send repeated pleas for confirmation of my location and identity.

I know that "one friend" is somehow responsible. It's the only way I can see that they could have found me. She is the only one who would know my current last name and the fact that I'm in Florida. But even she has not had my address for quite a few years.
 KalGrl
Msg: 49
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 9:08:52 AM
Another class of 1974
Streakers LOL thanks for reminding me we had one on the last day of class
Never found out who it was.
 Maleman999
Msg: 50
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 9:35:09 AM
I never understood the intrigue with high school reunions. If you went for four years, by the time you take into account the time off with summer holidays and all of the other time off during the school year, it means you only actually spent about three years in high school. That's just a tiny blip on the radar screen in the grand scheme of life. What other three year period of your life do you reminisce as much and place so much importance on? To each, their own. For me, high school meant spending 3 years /4 year program of being forced to memorize useless crap that I will never use in real life in order to pass. I always had good grades and got along fine with everyone, but it has no importance in my life other than it was required to go to college.
 activemelaney
Msg: 51
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 11:12:02 AM
Maleman, seems nobody would miss you. Best to stay home. You wouldn't want to use up all of your smile and that positive attitude.

The moaners and groaners and Debbie downers probably don't change much over the years. Tiny dark clouds following them throughout life. Why would anyone want to go to a reunion and actually expect to have have fun? Woe is me.
 house_full_of_bullets
Msg: 52
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 4:11:41 PM
^^Nice attitude. I don't have any interest to go to my high school reunion, but it doesn't mean I'm a "moaner and groaner". I enjoy my friends and the times I share in the here and now, but maybe you just like to live in the past - where you still were a cheerleader and the varsity quarterback clocking some serious time under the bleachers.

Or maybe not.

My point is if you like these types of things - cool on you, but just because someone doesn't, it doesn't mean they are an anti social recluse.
 Fleuron
Msg: 53
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 4:34:30 PM

Surfers and druggies mostly.

I’ll see your druggies and raise you some rednecks.

There’s no one in high school I’m interested in ever seeing again. Other than refusing to conduct an autopsy on a frog corpse and the kid who walked along the third floor ledge high school was pretty damn boring for me. I do know that a few of my old classmates now look like my grandfather and smell like a brewery…. ooooh, fun!

Maybe I’d go to someone else’s high school reunion, like where they faint and wake up at age 18 and get to decide whether to get married again or actually have a life….shit, why doesn’t that ever happen in real life?
 ladymercury
Msg: 54
High school reunions
Posted: 7/26/2013 4:54:47 PM
I really enjoyed my reunion but don't have any old flame stories to share ... although, I did help organize the event as the past school president, valedictorian and prom queen. Kind of cheesy but fun nonetheless.

I winked my eye once or twice at some of the men while running around here and there. Heck, I probably even flirted with a teacher or two. What a blast!
 or_current_resident
Msg: 55
High school reunions
Posted: 7/28/2013 7:10:07 PM

The moaners and groaners and Debbie downers probably don't change much over the years. Tiny dark clouds following them throughout life. Why would anyone want to go to a reunion and actually expect to have have fun?

Whats interesting about asking the folks here on the pro's & con's on high school reunions, or for that matter anything else about their past memories in how they got here or not to this point, varies greatly indeed.

Myself, and for what ever reason, as our classmates had a bond maybe 2 grades up & two grades below.
Most were from the same cut of cloth & most thrived for similar goals & ambitions for the most part. Class of 1966.

The bonds we had, left as we all ventured out into the world after graduation etc,but the memories in our formative lives on.
imo, some of us are more sentimental then other I guess.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 56
High school reunions
Posted: 7/28/2013 8:04:40 PM
paderic- So true, many of us look in the mirror and despite what is right there, we still see our 17 year old self, if only it were so.......
I went to my 10 year reunion, at first it was great, we started out chatting, we ate, things seemed ok and I was having fun ( I was not part of the "in" crowd in high school). Then after a couple of hours, people started to migrate right back to their old cliques from high school. Not an experience I care to repeat.
We all looked different and some had changed for the better, many did not ( on the inside, that is).
 Ainen
Msg: 57
High school reunions
Posted: 7/30/2013 5:54:47 PM
You can share a lot more than 4 years with classmates. If you knew each other from kindergarten, that's 13 years, and you might keep in touch after graduation.

At my reunion my longest conversations were with classmates from my grade school. More years of memories.

It was fun to relive the culture from school. A good DJ played urban music from junior high years and people breakdanced.

Nobody who was ever a real enemy to me attended. Only one classmate at the reunion had behaved anything like a bully; he acknowledged he'd given me a hard time.

One girl I had never pursued because I was good friends with her brother. Now she's separated, a dealbreaker status. Won't divorce because staying married lets her stay on his health insurance.
 cooldog65
Msg: 58
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 8/25/2013 4:33:51 AM
Went to my 30 year reunion last night. There were some gorgeous women in my class and I danced with some of them. It was a blast.
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 59
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 8/29/2013 11:26:04 PM
I have never attended any. I was overseas at the tenth, expecting a child at the twentieth, thirtieth I could see no reason to break my streak, and kind of like Jase Robertsons "Duck Commanders" take on high school reunions.
"if i haven't contacted you in the last 20 years there's probably a reason"

Couldn't have said it better myself!!
 Devilsfan58
Msg: 60
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 8/29/2013 11:40:22 PM
Duck Dynasty...sorry
 lookinfouryoutoo
Msg: 61
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 8/30/2013 12:24:33 AM
No old flames turned into anything permanent for me, sorry. However, I do wish you the very best of luck at your reunion. You never knew who you might run into! At the very least, you can definitely get in touch with some old friends.
 Maleman999
Msg: 62
High school reunions
Posted: 9/1/2013 7:53:10 PM

I have been to only one high school reunion, and it wasn't even mine - it was my wife's.

I did the same thing. I don't recall if it was her 20 or 25 year re-union. The funny thing is I ended up meeting more people I knew than she did, even though we went to different high schools and it was her school re-union. A lot of the people there were former co-workers of mine at a local company where we worked together, which closed up shortly after we all got laid off. So we hung out together catching up on who is working where now. There were three of us that used to hang out together quite a bit after work, so we exchanged numbers to keep in touch, since everybody went a different way after the company shut down. My wife in the meantime wandered around and met up with 3 or 4 former classmates that she recognized and chatted with them, and that was about the extent of it for her.
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 63
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 9/1/2013 9:58:52 PM

I have been to only one high school reunion, and it wasn't even mine - it was my wife's.

Well, now, let's make this three in a row. Those who I knew I had already met several times prior, best friends, and we won honors for youngest child (6 months or so) and furthest distance traveled (about 3K).

As for old flames, the only lady I would want to meet from that age graduated a year later; so the only HS reunion I would want to attend is not even mine.

TK
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 64
High school reunions
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:07:26 PM
sure go to yours have fun

me - meh
I left highschool early, joined the military, changed my name, and haven't back to that town since.
It will be another 30 years before I darken that town again
I didn't care for the school experience - I see no reason to repeat or rehash any of what happened three decades ago.
All the friends that I would want to see - I am still in contact with
 or_current_resident
Msg: 65
High school reunions
Posted: 9/2/2013 8:04:33 AM

As for old flames, the only lady I would want to meet from that age graduated a year later; so the only HS reunion I would want to attend is not even mine.

As for meeting old flames 45 years ago there was this certain girl which was my first love & whom I loss my virginity too at 17. ^^^^

And yes, she did after all those years still had a special place in my heart. As it was a thrill to meet her again a few years ago. As we did date for a while but as Tom wolf once said," you can't go home". And was & still ,a very stunningly beautiful woman ,yet the magical to re-unite, was not there in the long or short run sadly enough.

So for those who still think of the one that got away, you never know you you meet a past young love, one more time.

And it is said that the chances of reuniting are great, like a 75% success rate. Not too bad imo.....
 Madisonman0326
Msg: 66
High school reunions
Posted: 9/8/2013 10:20:29 AM
For folks who grew up in a small town, as I did, there is something compelling about a high school reunion. Even though, in some cases, it has been thirty-some years since we were last together, the bond formed during those twelve formative years remains strong and reunions are always well attended. A year ago last June, I attended an "all-class" reunion which involved flying from the Midwest to Boston and renting a car for the drive out to the Berkshires. Although I was married, I traveled alone by choice, not my choice, but my wife's, who had little interest in my social activities. I could give her a pass on the reunion as she didn't attend the same high school and wouldn't know anyone there, but our relationship had become increasingly difficult and, even at home, I found myself alone more often than not.
At Logan Airport, I rented a black Chrysler 300, thinking this would make an impression on my former peers. I had, after all, done quite well in my career, but, after making a wrong turn and ending up in a rough section of Chelsea, I realized that a middle-aged guy wearing shades and driving a black luxury car is seen, in Chelsea, not as a successful business man, but as an associate of Tony Soprano. Hey, I'll take respect where I can get it.
As it turned out, I arrived at the reunion a little late and nobody even saw me pull up in the Chrysler. I should have rented the Chevy!
At the VFW hall, a buffet dinner was followed by a dance featuring a live band. By the time the band started playing, I was exhausted from making small talk with folks who had changed so significantly since I last saw them that I had to read their name tags, squinting because I was too vain to wear my reading glasses, in order to recognize them. I took a seat at the far end of the hall and, nursing a Bud, watched as these strangers shook awkwardly to the disco hits of our collective youth. Then I spotted her. Cathy. She was sitting alone, at a table across the dance floor, looking bored. I recognized her immediately because, somehow, she had all but escaped the ravages of age; she was still petite, unwrinkled and wearing the same pixie cut she wore when she was a cheerleader. I crossed the dance floor between songs and sat across the table from her, and asked her to dance. She smiled.
"I came with my brothers, Kevin and Terry...you remember them, don't ya? I didn't really wanna come, but they said it'd be fun. They lied. Wished I'd a drove instead of coming with Kev, so as I could leave."
Yet, when the next song started, she took my hand and lead me to the dance floor. It took me 36 years, but, here I was, the science nerd dancing with a cheerleader. THAT would never have happened back in the day.
We danced to every song until, shortly after eleven, she decided she'd had enough of the reunion and asked if I wanted to go somewhere else. A thousand thoughts rushed through my Budweiser addled brain...I'm married...what will my former class mates say when they see me leaving with a divorcee...do any of them know my wife...what if some posts something on FB? Ever the gentleman, I held the door open as she settled into the passenger seat of the Chrysler.
We went to an intimate bar across town and talked about relationships until bar time. Cathy convinced me that, although I was in denial, my marriage had gone off the rails years earlier. As a professional mechanic, I had spent much of my life fixing things, including my marriage, but Cathy pointed out that it was all one sided. My wife had given up on the relationship and was simply coasting on the momentum it had developed years earlier, and that momentum was now slowing to a halt.
I drove her home and she turned in her seat and kissed me, then hesitated. I could have followed her inside, but I didn't because I don't believe in infidelity. It was only during the course of the divorce that I discovered my wife had been having an affair with a younger coworker.
 Like2dance
Msg: 67
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 9/8/2013 12:38:19 PM
This is a wonderful story, Madisonman. I hope things turn out well for you.
 Madisonman0326
Msg: 68
High school reunions
Posted: 9/8/2013 5:50:48 PM
Thanks. I'm a bit chagrined because I posted without proof-reading and there are a couple glaring errors. This summer, I met a thoughtful and passionate woman on POF, a woman who, like me, spent time in Africa and shares my world view and, more importantly, enjoys my activities and my friends. I'm no longer paddling my canoe solo.
 abmccray
Msg: 69
view profile
History
High school reunions
Posted: 9/9/2013 8:45:42 AM
High school reunions are basically the ultimate braggart situation, and are great for people that want to show off how much better they ended up than people who thought they were better than them in high school. I went to my 10th for the Schadenfreude aspect of it all ("oh you turned me down in 10th grade, now you're a huge single parent with no real prospects in life, and look at me now, oh well"), but I'm past that kind of petty stuff and have no interest in them any more.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > High school reunions