Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 tjrogelio
Msg: 12
view profile
History
mom bathing boyPage 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I'm just curious...do any of your views change if it were a father bathing his daughter?
 Melissanicole
Msg: 13
mom bathing boy
Posted: 1/8/2006 4:50:20 PM
Personally I think the bathing together stuff should stop around 2-3, but others will disagree and to each their own. When my son got to the point of saying "boobies!" I decided he was ready to take a bath alone, lol. However, hes still in the bathroom when I shower and sees me naked, hes just under 3- he doesnt care. Little kids dont know about sex, so they dont see bodies as sexual objects.

As far as bathing... as long as he needs help then you should help. That will probably be until hes 10-12 would be my guess. He can do more of it by himself as he gets older (like 7ish), but you should still be checking and making sure the soap is rinsed, etc...

My views are the same for fathers bathing daughters. Around 3, I personally would stop taking a bath WITH the child, but would still assist (and supervise of course, until they were older) with bathtime.

There is a thread on this that was very lengthy about a man who was bathing with his daughter, I think she was like 8 or something. Everyone has different ideas... do what you feel comfortable with. However, you have a while, IMO, before you should start to feel weird about this.
 ManinRoom
Msg: 18
mom bathing boy
Posted: 3/12/2006 12:07:58 AM
Why are you in the bathroom with a kid ?
 iamtheone39
Msg: 23
mom bathing boy
Posted: 3/19/2006 12:54:33 PM
I believe a parent should bath a child until he or she can bathe themselves. I would not put myself in an uncompromising situation. What about brothers and sisters? I'm a single dad and was wondering when they should bathe by themselves. Don't want to get off topic, just kinda related to the bathing boy thing.
 sly848484
Msg: 26
mom bathing boy
Posted: 5/1/2006 6:40:25 AM
i am a single parent of 3 kids ...boy6 girl 9 girl 11 all though i have never taken baths with my children i all ways had to give them baths ...my 11 year old takes showers bye her self now and has taken her own showers since she was 8 ...my 9 year old still needs help washing her hair and she calls me in to wash her hair ...she is now learning to take showers .soon she will not need help with her hair ..what im trying to say is .that every kid is different and as they start getting older every thing comes naturaly ...you will know when your kids are ready to bath themselves .....you have to be open and honest with your children..if your paranoid about giving them baths that will only make your kids paranoid and that could create a lot of problems when they get older...for axample my 11 year old daughter got bit bye a dog 2 months ago while walking on the bike path ...it bit her in the upper leg right next to her croch ....she came home and told me about it and took her pants of to show me the bite marks ..the dog broke the skin and i had to take her to the doctor ...what im trying to say is that if you make your kids think there is somthing wrong with giving them baths at to early of an age or seeing them nekked ..they might not come to you if they get hert or have a problem with there privates ...
 ImScaredofU
Msg: 31
mom bathing boy
Posted: 8/28/2006 2:18:06 PM
Well as a father i don't think it right for a mother to be naked in frt of her boy help bath him yes but he's four lady stop taking showers with him unless what is the need you feel to have to take it with him not just bathing him but you get in with him what is this your providing him with a four year old understands a lot more than you think.
 Wullis
Msg: 35
view profile
History
mom bathing boy
Posted: 9/3/2006 9:19:44 PM
I say bathe them until they say I can do it my self .....Let them
Check them until they do it right
Then every other time and so on
It also teaches the reward for advancement consept.

Actually when I got my son back he was 7 and thought it was wrong for me to even see him with his shirt off. It took a year to get him to loosen up. Now he showers and runs through the house like a nude banshee and I have to get on him about going outside in his underware

It's all about BALANCE
 Huggablehottie
Msg: 36
mom bathing boy
Posted: 9/4/2006 1:49:10 PM
I have bathed my kids till about the ages of 3 or 4.
I would only help out with rinsing my duaghter's hair to make
sure the soap got out.
I think the kids need to be able to bathe themselves at an early
enough age, so they can be independant and eventually they do
get it right!
I would never get in the tub with the kids, and I did not do that when
they were small either.
Even though, you know you would never do anything sexual to your
child, I feel you need to give them some independance so they can feel
responsible.
It is a Big relief when they can do a lot of things on their own!
 ChocolateNutt
Msg: 37
mom bathing boy
Posted: 6/29/2007 8:47:04 PM
I wouldn't let a boyfriend bathe with my child or bathe my child, but I think it's ok for parents to do that. It doesn't bother me for a child to grow up having seen mommy and/or daddy naked. I think kids should grow up happy and confident with their bodies and respectful of the opposite sex. If you behave as though there's an issue with either gender, then they will learn there's an issue. If you behave as though everyone has body parts--matter of factly--then they will learn there's nothing to be ashamed of.

I think it's good to teach them that they don't run naked all the time or in front of company because their bodies are private, but if they can't be comfortable with mommy and daddy, uh oh.

Please keep in mind that I'm referring to small children--I do believe at some point we all need to keep our clothes on lol.

Nutt
 iamtheone39
Msg: 38
mom bathing boy
Posted: 6/30/2007 6:59:12 PM
"If I knew someone with a 10 year old in the tub with them, I would likely contact the authorities and report it. (barring any medical reasons for it)"I would say bring it on bring it on....Like,what are you going to report? "Parent is bathing with kid...uhm.....uhm...well....uh..well,uh...."..."Have a nice day!"....CPS told me that I couldn't even report two gay guys or two gay women kissing each other around the kids,how are you going to report that?
 starwonder
Msg: 39
mom bathing boy
Posted: 6/30/2007 7:10:10 PM
It's fine to help them bath until they are fully capable of doing it themselves. I think my brother and sister were 8 or 9 when they first started to bathe on their own with no assistance at all. I can't remember what if my mom bathed at first with both of them or just one. But I would have to say for you bathing together with your child, it should at least be until the age of 5 or 6. Then they should be learning how to do it on their own if they haven't already wanted to. You just have to let them know that they are becomming big boys/girls now, and that they've got to learn how to bathe on their own instead of with assistance from mommy.

It only starts getting "weird" if they're starting to go through puberty. At that point, they should be able to bathe completely on their own unless they're special needs and can't do it on their own. If the child is "normal" and is 11+, and still has mommy assisting him with bathing, then you need to get that taken care of right away. The child then needs to be taught to bathe on their own and not to be scared of that.

Some kids tend to get too dependant or attached. That's when the child is going to not want to do things on their own and rather have mommy do things for or with them.
 starwonder
Msg: 40
mom bathing boy
Posted: 6/30/2007 7:18:51 PM

You dont have kids lwsndv1 so you wouldnt understand...
You might want to look at her post again. You misread it slightly. Just thought I'd point that out.

And by the way...Just because someone doesn't have kids, DOESN'T mean they don't understand. I don't have kids, yet I can easily understand many kid situations. It all has to do with how much knowledge you have about a certain subject. You don't have to have gone through it to know about it.
 iamtheone39
Msg: 42
mom bathing boy
Posted: 7/1/2007 7:39:53 PM
Bless you,Sqooglebabe...best of luck raising the little one. I know it is so hard these days to show your kids any amt. of affection without someone going "ooh" "ahhh"...I always challenge DCF to come over anytime,I am ready for ya...and Don't you wish you could do a better job raising MY kids?
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >