Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Princess12524
Msg: 191
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?Page 11 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)
Being a vegetarian/pescetarian also helps w/ overall health & I think it keeps folks young!
 activemelaney
Msg: 192
view profile
History
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?
Posted: 2/1/2014 3:31:39 PM
^^^^^

Especially in the late 40's and onward. So many guys hit 50 and think it's normal that they can't run a half mile without huffing and puffing...'must get in shape'. No, actually it's because many of then have 80% blockage in arteries, etc.

Humans are omnivores...we evolved to eat everything...roots, nuts, blubber. Longevity was not an issue. If you want to live an active post 50 life then just 'surviving' isn't good enough. Nothing like (hopefully surviving) chest pain or a heart bypass to makes the ribs or pizza less appetizing. The causes of disability and death aren't much of a mystery.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 193
Posted: 2/2/2014 2:52:34 PM

I've been liquifying my meals in a high-speed Vitamix blender and it makes me feel like a million bucks.

* generous splash of apple juice
* bag of fresh kale/spinach mix
* strawberry Greek yogurt
* frozen strawberries
* frozen mango bits
* frozen peaches
* strawberry protein powder
* several slices of fresh ginger

Give it a good whirl and it is a nutrient-packed start to the day. It is especially good in the summertime.
Just think, it is several servings of deep green leafy vegetables otherwise challenging to consume for breakfast.

Will give it a try but I'm into juicing, not blending (so apple juice would be natural)

I make my own yogurt, so I can guarantee its freshness. It's a machine called Dash Yogurt Maker.

About the frozen fruits, you buy it frozen or you buy it fresh and then freeze it?

I've always been suspicious of powdered protein as I'm not sure the body can absorb it. Some people that I know have developed calcification in their hearts (and have to take an aspirin a day), they were all consuming powdered protein and pre/post workout supplements. The human body is designed in such a way that it cannot be easily fooled.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 194
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:03:41 PM
^^^

BelleTresor...my approach has been to subscribe to the school of thought the body can't assimilate more than 30 grams of protein per meal. Beyond that...it doesn't go towards body repair...it simply taxes the kidneys and other organs. I also couple my meals with plenty of water for the reasons you specify.

Thanks for the tip about the Dash Yogurt device. I will have to look into it.
Goodness knows that so much is consumed in my diet it would likely pay for itself rather quickly.
Frozen fruit that I use is purchased in bulk from a restaurant supply company. I get 10-pound boxes of frozen strawberries, for example. These are then placed into smaller ziploc bags for convenience.

Posted by TuMuchFun:
"The only thing I can see enjoyable about all that time in the saddle is having the right personal trainer to rub in that steroid ointment on those saddle sores."

Saddle sores are entirely preventable. Keep skin meticulously clean. Use a quality chamois cream...it is essential when one will be riding more than 30 miles. Top quality bib shorts (Assos, Giordana, Craft, etc.) are also crucial. If my day will include pedaling further than 150 miles, an extra packet of chamois cream is brought along. Lastly...once riding is completed, immediately GET OUT of the lycra, like pronto!

The other benefit to all that saddle time? It creates enormous thighs that let you do certain recreational activities against a wall or standing up far, far, far easier. ;-)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 195
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:27:02 PM
The best treatment for saddles sores is to NOT get them.
It is a skin infection on broken skin. Keep skin clean and intact...and one will be totally FINE.

If it happens, they can be eliminated virtually instantly with a shot at the dermatologist.
In all these aggregate miles...it is a annoying thing only encountered on one occasion.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 196
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:37:45 PM
Eric,

I agree that more than 30 grams is excessive per meal. I do hope you're not consuming the water right after a meal. It is recommended that you wait 30 minutes after a meal, to give your body a chance to absorb the nutrients before it gets flushed with liquid. If you are one of people who goes to the bathroom soon after a meal, then drink the water because you'd strain if you don't, lol. Do you also partake in lemon water or infused water?

You won't have a problem with Dash because you consume a lot of it, so you'll never run out for your next batch. You can also use the milk of your preference. Get the one with the 7 glass jars, not the big plastic pit. I'm not a friend of plastic, I sadly know chemistry too well, and all plastic when heated, contaminates the food consumed. This goes for Harmony as well. Glass over plastic any time.

As for the frozen fruits, does the bag/box list ingredients? I saw a couple frozen fruit bags with ingredients other than just the fruit, lol. That's why I asked how you get them. I usually buy the fruit, wait for it to be ripe, and freeze it if I won't juice it that day.

About the saddle.......interesting....*blushing*
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 197
Posted: 2/2/2014 9:56:38 PM
Looking forward to reading more online about this Dash device. Very cool...thanks for sharing!

No special "focused" efforts are placed on drinking water. I just get plenty throughout the day and plenty at meals. My musician friends are HUGE proponents of lemon water to help their voices. Hadn't heard about benefits for other folks. Nothing wrong with a tasty citrus fruit, and a nice cold glass of water garnished with lemon or lime is always tasty.

Concur with you completely about glass v. plastic.
When I reheat food, for example, it is never done in a plastic container. Always on glass or ceramic.

The fruit that I obtain is just that...big boxes of "flash frozen" strawberries with no other ingredients.
They must have them at -20* F because they are ridiculously cold and don't even stick together.
I let them sit in the blender for a few minutes so they soften and don't damage the steel blades! :-)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 198
Posted: 2/3/2014 5:27:47 AM
Forgot to mention...supplementing with fish/krill oil and multivitamins daily, too.
Just be careful if taking niacin tablets, as that can give a hot flush you won't soon forget!
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 199
Posted: 2/3/2014 7:53:40 AM
I'm a huge proponent for lemon water, it really does help since I speak a lot during the course of the day. Typing is actually a relief :-)

I can consume more water if it has lemon in it, and I can drink it at any temperature. If it were regular water, I'd only be able to consume it when cold. I also do other concoctions, but I like lemon best.

I haven't given Ceramic a try, I tend to think it's more delicate than glass. I had a ceramic tea tumbler and the top fell as I was washing it, and it cracked (I glued it back together), whenever a glass top has fallen, it doesn't crack on a first fall. It doesn't help that my kitchen floor is marble or something similar, so I have to be careful. So far, only one glass tumbler met it's death on my kitchen floor. Oh, and one of the glass jars for the Dash Yogurt Maker met it's death too.

I've had flash frozen fruits and they are interesting, like they melt and get a little soft and foamy in the mouth, they taste very concentrated and sweet. I'm wondering if these strawberries have the same bleaching properties that traditional strawberries have. Have you noticed if your teeth have gotten whiter since you consume it every day? I gotta look into the mechanism by which flash frozen fruits are possible and see if anything is lost in translation so to speak.

The apple juice should be able to soften it, I'd also be worried about the other frozen fruits you are using, damaging the blades. How about leaving them out first thing in the morning and then blending when you're fully dressed and pressed?

Forgot to mention...supplementing with fish/krill oil and multivitamins daily, too.
Just be careful if taking niacin tablets, as that can give a hot flush you won't soon forget!

I was thinking of ordering some Niacin but now that you say that.......I'm gonna rethink that.

I'm currently on multivitamins, vitamin D (3 units, since I'm low on Vitamin D as I wear too much sunscreen and don't get any sun), Biotin, Collagen, Colon Cleansing, and occasionally Garcinia Cambodia when I want to eat something I shouldn't..lol.

I'm not sure the body can absorb it, or if the amounts are useful for the purpose, but I've noticed my hair not falling out in the same amounts as before and stronger than before, my nails are stronger, my skin has a little extra glow to it, and I heal from activities faster (although I'm extremely sore right now, I started lifting weights).

I might add some fish oil in the near future, I have to research it a little more, it just drives me nuts to carry so much crap in my bag.

Have you heard of Gary Null and his "green stuff", "red stuff", "power berry blast", "pain stuff", "greens and grains", etc? I've listened to his radio show on 99.5 FM Pacifica Radio Station, and he has gone days and even a week surviving on just these powders (since he is a vegetarian and some sort of vegan, so he can't eat just anywhere when on the road). He claims these products have the amount that the body needs in a wide range of its category.
 DragonBits
Msg: 200
Posted: 2/11/2014 9:44:57 AM
Niacin has also shown some problems with causing a stroke. And typical use was to raise HDL, but studies have shown that when HDL was raised by Niacin, drugs or by genetic varations, this didn't help to lower heart disease.

So I would be careful about taking a lot of Niacin.
 MisPlacedYankee63
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2014 11:24:15 AM
Let your food should be your medicine and your medicine should be your food.
 starlight334
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2014 7:57:21 PM
Eat less hearty meals and sleep at night. In addition to that: There is an old saying... Hot baths, wine and women (this is for men :-)) increases the aging process.
Also watch Jack LaLanne's videos on YouTube and learn...it is of actuality even today more than ever.
Go and work out a little bit.....but don't hold the treadmill handles when you're walking or running --> that is pretty much cheating to yourself.
 professora
Msg: 203
view profile
History
Posted: 3/12/2014 7:40:01 PM
a skilled surgeon for a mini lift and good dentistry :)

And, working at something I love to do.
 DragonBits
Msg: 204
Posted: 3/13/2014 7:45:11 AM
I really have done as much as I can think of to preserve my health.

My biggest failing is to let myself gain weight. It's difficult to take the weight back off after age 60. I was 148, went back to 166, now back down to 159. It takes a huge amount of effort to get back into working out in a vigorous way. I would like to be 140 or even 130-135, but 140 would be OK.

My blood pressure had gotten up to 150/95, now it's generally back down to below 125/75. I expect lower as I lose more weight. I like to stay at 120/75 or lower.

Interesting, newer guild lines from the American Medical Association recommend that adults aged 60 or older should only take blood pressure medication if their blood pressure exceeds 150/90.

Things I have done what studies indicate are good for a man's health.

Marry a woman more than 15 years younger.

My diet includes green and black tea, coffee, 1.5 ounces of alcohol, 30 grams of cocoa in coffee and as hot chocolate, 2-3 servings of fish a week, 2 grapefruit a day. Onions, apples, garlic, flaxseed, balanced veggies, lean meats such as chicken breasts, balance food via glycemic index.

I exercise vigorously 4-7 days a week, from 1 hour of cardio to 2 hours of cardio. I have noticed when I do 2 hours of cardio at a heart rate of 125-153, I am tired the next day. In the past I would bounce back over night. My goal is to be able to run at a slow rate of 5 mph on a 2% incline for an hour. It's debateable whether one calls this jogging or running. Currently I do 32 minitus running and 28 walking at 3.5 mph.

Nebido once every 3 months, which is testosterone undecanoate, a slow release version of testosterone.

The important part for me will to maintain whatever weight I get down to. I am not great on maintenance.

Never taken any prescription meds out side of Nebido, so I would like to avoid BP meds until maybe 80 years old. Supplements I take are 500 mg of magnisium, AREDS advanced antioxidants, ginko and 10,000 IUs of D3 in the winter.

The only thing that causes stress for me is day trading options in the market. But quiting at this time isn't feasible. I have mixed feeling about trading, I enjoy it and hate it at times.
 activemelaney
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2014 3:20:10 PM
^^^^
Dragonbits. We could use you as the poster boy in our clinic. Congrats. The only quibble is about BP... Your doctor isn't looking at BP in isolation but along with a cluster of variables such as family history, activity level, borderline diabetes etc. You might not need a med for BP at a certain rate but the next guy might. You are doing the right thing in informing yourself about the necessity or not of these meds but always run it by your doctor.

Anyways, healthy diet and exercise. Exercise and healthy diet. You should be around in you 80's to dispense advice to the young guys in their 60's.
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 206
Posted: 3/13/2014 3:48:44 PM

Denial.

It's not just a river in Egypt.
 Princess12524
Msg: 208
Posted: 3/14/2014 4:53:54 AM
I am taking vitamins, eat vegetarian 5-6 days a week (sometimes even vegan), avoid the sun, I just invested in some new & better expensive facial products. I dumped toxic people from my lives. I am very choosy about the people, places & things I am around.

I don't tolerate BS either, that negative energy can add a wrinkle, LOL.
 ouija2013
Msg: 209
Posted: 3/14/2014 6:13:16 AM
I will just start hanging around with way older people.
So agree with the above regards toxic people and BS.
I parted my hair different, that knocked off a few hours .. I don't think there is much one can do to halt the match of time.
Oh, lost an hour of Life to DST sigh
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 210
Posted: 3/14/2014 6:56:03 AM
ouija2013...never fear, your lifespan will be increased again in a few months. ;-)
Well, at least for a portion of time, anyway.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 3/14/2014 8:58:25 PM
I'm constantly traveling East, never West. A trip to Hawaii takes away 3 hours.
 Walts
Msg: 212
Posted: 3/15/2014 6:04:34 AM
So many are so frightened of the unknown future they are on a constant search to find ways to keep to our yesterdays.

Seems silly to me.
 Maleman999
Msg: 213
Posted: 3/15/2014 8:31:01 AM
The only way I know how to stop aging is to never replace the dead battery in my wall clock. It's always the same time.
 DragonBits
Msg: 214
Posted: 3/17/2014 6:15:30 AM

Dragonbits. We could use you as the poster boy in our clinic. Congrats. The only quibble is about BP... Your doctor isn't looking at BP in isolation but along with a cluster of variables such as family history, activity level, borderline diabetes etc. You might not need a med for BP at a certain rate but the next guy might. You are doing the right thing in informing yourself about the necessity or not of these meds but always run it by your doctor.

Thanks for the compliment, but I don't think I would be the poster child, someone like Literate H or Pepperment P would be my choice. I was just lucky with good genetics, no bad habits and a mother who exercised all her life.

I could have done a lot better, my current goal is to be able to run at a slow pace for a hour. If I can there I my next goal would be to up my pace to 6 mph, at that point I would want to maintain it.

I don't obsess about age, but I want to stay healthy enough to be able to enjoy doing all the activities I want to do.

I only see a doctor if I am sick, I haven't had health insurance for 12 years. So I monitor my own health closely, no doctor to run it past. Likely this will change a little as I become part of the medicare group.

My opinion is that I don't need BP meds at the current time, taking my variables into account.

I might go in for a sleep apnea test, IMO I have borderline sleep apnea, but first I want what happens if I lose more weight.
 wizardwoman
Msg: 215
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2014 5:51:11 PM
Oh my! I started this post about - what, a year ago? Good to see it is still going strong.
I asked the question and then lost interest in it, and I will take that as a healthy sign :)

Still going to the gym, trying to gain muscle and lose a little cushioning. drinking green smoothies, cutting out the processed foods. But all in all - I am tryin just to be happy and healthy, now that is good living and keeps the "aging" in check :)
 Maleman999
Msg: 216
Posted: 3/25/2014 7:41:31 PM
I've had chats with a few middle aged women at different times who think they found the fountain of youth and have said: "When I go somewhere with my daughter, nobody knows who is the daughter and who is the mother." I'm thinking to myself, I could probably tell within seconds, but I just tell them that it's remarkable that nobody can tell who is who. Funny thing is when I got to the point of suggesting a meet-up, they all backed down. I don't if it's because they didn't feel a connection or if it's because they don't want me see what they really look like up close and find out they actually look their age or even older.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?