Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 deere_rancher
Msg: 51
view profile
History
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?Page 3 of 14    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14)

The only time I have heard that the extra weight is beneficial is if you are suddenly facing cancer

Must not have given this much thought

examples:
Playing football with the grandkids, breaking that big tree branch into small pieces, your the last one sucked away in a tornado ,able to withstand hurricane force , the only one who can get the door unstuck ...

oh this is just too easy
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 52
What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?
Posted: 6/21/2013 7:45:20 PM

The only time I have heard that the extra weight is beneficial is if you are suddenly facing cancer

Research has shown that people who are slightly overweight when they are older, do live longer. Yes they are slightly more prone to certain types of cancer, but since cancer is the cause of death 23% of the time, I would think that slightly over is an overall plus to longevity.

To say that someone who is slightly over weight (a few extra pounds) cannot exercise enough or be physically fit is a load of crap. I am not in the shape I would like to be in, still working on that, but today alone I put in 8 hours at the office, walked 5 k and road my bike 15k, and that did not include a trip to gym which many days do. I am much more physically fit than the majority of my slender friends. I won't walk or hike with most of them because they slow me down! (Me with 2 bad knees) And now that I am biking as well, I have added one more thing that most of them are afraid to do because they are afraid of breaking something. H3ll, have been there a number of times and will probably break a few more bones before I am done, but chubby me will keep moving and passing my friends (who the odds say I shall outlive anyway).

One more thing. Chubby people have less wrinkles!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2013 5:03:37 AM

^^^^^^^^^^

Trying not to stress over aging helps.
 statemachine500
Msg: 54
Posted: 6/22/2013 9:02:02 PM

To say that someone who is slightly over weight (a few extra pounds) cannot exercise enough or be physically fit is a load of crap. I am not in the shape I would like to be in, still working on that, but today alone I put in 8 hours at the office, walked 5 k and road my bike 15k, and that did not include a trip to gym which many days do. I am much more physically fit than the majority of my slender friends. I won't walk or hike with most of them because they slow me down! (Me with 2 bad knees) And now that I am biking as well, I have added one more thing that most of them are afraid to do because they are afraid of breaking something. H3ll, have been there a number of times and will probably break a few more bones before I am done, but chubby me will keep moving and passing my friends (who the odds say I shall outlive anyway).

I didn't say that that a person a few pounds(20?) overweight couldn't exercise,most simply do not maintain muscle mass.They are not biking and going to the gym.A powerlifter could be quite chubby but strong.Most are simply sedate and a few(40?) pounds overweight.IMO,this study was released simply to calm the fears of people eating the typical crap offered by big business.Then they can go on eating that stuff.The people they feature in those cancer centre ads always seem to be big....add in the diabetes and heart problems and being big doesn't seem too healthy....
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 55
Posted: 6/23/2013 7:33:40 AM

I didn't say that that a person a few pounds(20?) overweight couldn't exercise,most simply do not maintain muscle mass.

Oh but you did say that.

Bigger waist spells reduced mobility all over.

Reality is what reduces overall mobility is not getting out and moving, it has nothing to do weight or size. Yes those who are extremely overweight are unhealthy and unable to move enough to maintain any level of fitness. But you cannot lump all people who do not fall into the norms into that group. H3ll, I recently looked at the height and weight tables and was surprised to see the new weight ranges. In other words, the medical industry has re-evaluated what is truly a healthy weight for men and women. When I was in my early 20s, according to the charts, I was at the mid-range for my height and according to today's charts, I was off the bottom of the chart. This is part of the problem, we don't know what we should weight, we don't know what is healthy and no, the study was not created by big business so they could continue selling crap. It was based on people's weight when they contracted particular diseases and their survival rates.

I spent many years struggling to get back to a weight that it turns out was always unhealthy for me. I finally accepted who I am and what I weigh and moved on from there. As I said I am healthy and more fit than most of my slender friends, eat a better diet and will most likely outlive the lot of the them. I know that I do need to lose a little more weight for the health of my knees (and the weight did not cause the knee problems, congenital defect and injury) but other than that, I have learned to be happy and healthy with who I am.

So what I am I doing to manage my aging, nothing really, there is only one alternative to getting old and I will pass on that.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 6/23/2013 8:43:07 AM

P90X. Which will probably kill me, ironically.
I tried Insanity but it didn't work for me. Harhar.

Maybe so. But you'll have a much better quality of life while you're living it. You'll look great next to the fat, older looking "competition", and probably decaades younger than you are.

The effects on this or any other good strength training on the body will positively affect all the organs in your body as well as your muscles. You'll stay strong and probably won't live to grow frail.

If you should happen to die of a heart attack while doing the program -- think of it this way:

Would you rather just fall over dead one day, or languish 2 -3 years, half-comatose in an old folks home, with tubes up your nose?

Besides you'll leave a good-looking corpse.

--------------------

I strength train and crosss train myself. As opposed to those who won't excerices I say to myself:

I am 57 years old now. In just 13 yars I'll be 70.
Some of the winnningest tri-atheletes are in their mid to late 70's. While others of that age are lying in nursing homes hooked up to machines.

Where do YOU want to be on that continuim? (You can't get there by wishing.)
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 57
Posted: 6/23/2013 12:21:54 PM

Some of the winnningest tri-atheletes are in their mid to late 70's. While others of that age are lying in nursing homes hooked up to machines.

And you are assuming that this has to do with whether or not they exercised and not other factors that have nothing to do with size or weight.

Maybe so. But you'll have a much better quality of life while you're living it. You'll look great next to the fat, older looking "competition", and probably decaades younger than you are.

You won't look as great or as much younger as you think you do, people with a little extra body fat have less wrinkles so chances are they actually look younger than you. Personally I think I look 51, the people around me are always shocked to find out how old my kids are and how old I am. It is not just physical appearance, it is attitude and those who are obsessed with staying young usually have an old attitude and bearing that regardless of how good shape they are in, they seem old.

The extra weight seems to impede physical activity after 40 or so. As I approach 60 this is more apparent than ever.

I weigh more than I did at 40 and am 3 times as active because I am not starving myself to maintain an unrealistic weight expectation that does not fit my naturally curvy body type. Yes my knees bother me, but they have done so since I was 12 and one more so since it had to have a second repair done after an accident a few years back.

Being fit and active will do way more to manage aging than anything else. It also makes us way more attractive to potential partners.

No one is disputing that, for some people fit and active is the way to manage age. It is the definition of fit that is the problem. And in your eyes it makes you way more attractive to potential partners. Sorry the scrawny ones with the chicken necks really aren't all that appealing.

I guess what has so many up in arms is that the research shows, excluding cancer, chubby people live longer. That extra weight helps when they are ill and allows them to handle more shocks to their system. That has to piss off the people who are obsessed with diet and exercise to maintain a level of fitness they think is required to live a long and healthy life and along comes chubby old me who is likely to live longer, look younger, have less wrinkles and obsess less.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 6/24/2013 8:39:28 AM

You won't look as great or as much younger as you think you do, people with a little extra body fat have less wrinkles so chances are they actually look younger than you. Personally I think I look 51, the people around me are always shocked to find out how old my kids are and how old I am

The post I am making at this time makes NO reference to YOU personally, as I can't see your picture.

BUT, just because a person looks "younger" than they are doesn't necessarily mean that they are attractive.

I personally am NOT attracted to over weight people. Others may be.

Just because an over-50 person is NOT overweight does NOT mean that they DO have wrinkles.

I lost 42 lbs. after age 50. My face was fat before I lost the weight, but I took care of my skin, dieted and supplemented properly, and DON'T have any wrinkles. I know a lot of people my age whow are HWP with no wrinkles.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/24/2013 4:02:32 PM
And the post I was made no direct reference to you despite the you at the beginning of it.

[bold] You'll look great next to the fat, older looking "competition",[/bold] and probably decaades younger than you are.

Backtracking on what you said now are you? I personally don't care what you are attracted to , but being overly fit with little excess body weight is very not often attractive in either men or women over 50. In your last post you equated your level of fitness to looking younger and thus better. Now younger is not necessarily better? But that is what you said the first time!

I know lots of people over and under 50 who have a ton of wrinkles and yes most of them are skinny, and you can tell the ones that spend way too much time in the sun because their skin is the worst.

And again, who determined the HWP, you? cause the charts keep changing.

I am always amused by watching people do things they despise because they think it makes them look younger and healthier. Of course everyone should exercise, of course someone who never moves from the couch is not attractive, but be honest about why you are doing it. Do it for yourself and to make you feel good and stop denigrating people who are not crazy obsessed.
 statemachine500
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/24/2013 6:39:40 PM
I didn't say that that a person a few pounds(20?) overweight couldn't exercise,most simply do not maintain muscle mass.

Oh but you did say that.

Read it again.I said reduced mobility with a bigger waist,which is fact.Doesn't mean you can't ride a bike or run.Can you do some movements on the rings?

H3ll, I recently looked at the height and weight tables and was surprised to see the new weight ranges. In other words, the medical industry has re-evaluated what is truly a healthy weight for men and women. When I was in my early 20s, according to the charts, I was at the mid-range for my height and according to today's charts, I was off the bottom of the chart. This is part of the problem, we don't know what we should weight, we don't know what is healthy and no, the study was not created by big business so they could continue selling crap. It was based on people's weight when they contracted particular diseases and their survival rates.

New weight ranges?Of course,to reflect the fact that so many are overweight.Just like they changed what constitutes "normal blood pressure".They adjusted it upwards.We do know what we should weigh,it's closer to what we weighed in our early 20's,plus honest muscle mass increases.Again,you pick from a segment that is getting ill,knock on wood.How many are practicing real fitness?

I am out in the sun all the time.I don't have many wrinkles,just a lot of grey hair.
 Howdy_From_Harry
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 3:56:04 AM
Through the years, the levels at which doctors medicate people has changed. I was talking to a friend yesterday who said her cholesterol was 185 and the doc wanted to medicate her. When I first heard of cholesterol levels, 225 was the level at which they started medicating. Same with diabetes. They used to say you had diabetes at a higher level than they say it at now.
 activemelaney
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 2:05:23 PM
Re Hooey above: do you know her personal history? family history? Other meds? So many variables. As an RN I have no idea what regimen a patient might follow until all variables are known. Anecdotal stories as in ' I know someone and...' are meaningless. And never sure who this 'they' are...your friend, doctor, AMA ? I assume a doctor looks at your medical history and makes educated judgements. Risks to develop conditions...efficacy of various drugs...as stated, so many variables that need to be weighed. Otherwise, next time she can just visit you and you can diagnose and prescribe a treatment based on phases of the Moon.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/25/2013 4:16:14 PM

Backtracking on what you said now are you? I personally don't care what you are attracted to , but being overly fit with little excess body weight is very not often attractive in either men or women over 50. In your last post you equated your level of fitness to looking younger and thus better. Now younger is not necessarily better? But that is what you said the first time!

I know lots of people over and under 50 who have a ton of wrinkles and yes most of them are skinny, and you can tell the ones that spend way too much time in the sun because their skin is the worst.

You make a very good point here. If YOU happen to be attracted to older-looking, fat people , or people with "tons of wrinkles", that is certainly your right.

And again, who determined the HWP, you? cause the charts keep changing.

Most of us don't carry scales around with us, demanding that other people be weighed. And some of us weigh much more or less than we appear to. So, I guess, what would be "HWP" would be in the eyes of the beholder .

Did you mention earlier that you, yourself, were "a few pounds over"? How did you determine that? Common sense?

I am always amused by watching people do things they despise because they think it makes them look younger and healthier. Of course everyone should exercise, of course someone who never moves from the couch is not attractive, but be honest about why you are doing it. Do it for yourself and to make you feel good and stop denigrating people who are not crazy obsessed.

Another good point. Many of us actually ENJOY working out. I know I do --- and I feel even better afterward. Raises the endorphins, doncha know?

I would never dream of "denigrating" those of us who are not "crazy obsessed". I also would not "denigrate" those of us who are a "few pounds over". Even if I personally felt that they were fat, and lazy, I would keep it to myselfe. As I stated earlier -- each of us has a choice.

And I know YOU would never be judgmental toward those of us who do work out by ASS-uming that they "despise" their work-outs, or that they were "crazy-obsessed". Now would you?
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 64
Posted: 6/27/2013 5:47:03 PM

Read it again.I said reduced mobility with a bigger waist,which is fact.Doesn't mean you can't ride a bike or run.Can you do some movements on the rings?

Apparently you don't really understand what mobility means, it is simply the ability to move freely and easily. Therefore someone who can walk long distances, ride a bicycle, get around on their own without any assistance does not have reduced mobility. It has nothing to do with using specialized gym equipment that the majority of healthy and fit adults could not, and would not, be able to use.

New weight ranges?Of course,to reflect the fact that so many are overweight.Just like they changed what constitutes "normal blood pressure".They adjusted it upwards.We do know what we should weigh,it's closer to what we weighed in our early 20's,plus honest muscle mass increases.Again,you pick from a segment that is getting ill,knock on wood.How many are practicing real fitness?

First we will address blood pressure ranges, the new ranges are actually lower than they were 20 years ago. 90/50 was considered to be quite low and now it falls into the range of normal. 120/80 was considered to be normal average blood pressure and it is now considered to be the high end of normal with 110/70 being considered average.

As for weight the old ranges especially for woman were actually too low, don't know of any world where a woman who is almost 5'6" should weight less than 115 pounds but that was what the charts were saying. so you can extrapolate that for the other ranges. The height/weight tables don't take into consideration what people weigh, they give the range for healthy weights, just as it is not healthy to be overweight, it is not healthy to be underweight either, hence the revision of the charts.

I am out in the sun all the time.I don't have many wrinkles,just a lot of grey hair.

Well then, that is the luck of genetics and nothing more.

You make a very good point here. If YOU happen to be attracted to older-looking, fat people , or people with "tons of wrinkles", that is certainly your right.

Not really sure what you are getting at here since in was suppose to be in rebuttal to a statement about your 180 statements.

Another good point. Many of us actually ENJOY working out. I know I do --- and I feel even better afterward. Raises the endorphins, doncha know?

Of course I do since I exercise every day, you missed that apparently. I just don't feel that need to rub it in everyone's face. Oh and again this was in reference to a comment you made telling someone to continue an exercise program they disliked because it would make them better than the "fat people"

I would never dream of "denigrating" those of us who are not "crazy obsessed". I also would not "denigrate" those of us who are a "few pounds over". Even if I personally felt that they were fat, and lazy, I would keep it to myselfe. As I stated earlier -- each of us has a choice.

And you just did it again. kept it to yourself, my azz, you mean posted it in a public forum?

And I know YOU would never be judgmental toward those of us who do work out by ASS-uming that they "despise" their work-outs, or that they were "crazy-obsessed". Now would you?

Never said that they all despise their workouts, I personally know some who love their crazy workout routines and other who b^tch and complain about it all the time, also hear them at the gym whining about it. Get's a little tiring after a while.

A good point made above. I've always enjoyed working out, going for a moderate run, playing soccer... It's a division I see in those who are healthy and fit and those who aren't. A healthy lifestyle isn't a chore or hardship. In contrary, those out of shape see it as some burden they 'have to do'. Energy leads to more energy.

Of course a healthy lifestyle is not a chore or a hardship, but just because someone does not fall into a certain narrow weight range does not mean that they do not live a healthy and active lifestyle. And just because someone does fit into that same narrow weight range does not mean they are healthy and fit. Some of you are quick to look at people and judge, not too surprising.
 statemachine500
Msg: 65
Posted: 6/27/2013 8:09:48 PM

Apparently you don't really understand what mobility means, it is simply the ability to move freely and easily. Therefore someone who can walk long distances, ride a bicycle, get around on their own without any assistance does not have reduced mobility. It has nothing to do with using specialized gym equipment that the majority of healthy and fit adults could not, and would not, be able to use.

I understand what mobility is about.Being able to do basic movements on the rings would be extreme for our age bracket.But simply strolling a few miles isn't being able to sprint,jump,or run a mountain path.Or ride a mountain bike uphill 1000 metres.Or perform a deep squat with good form.Carrying excess weight works against you in every category.I would think your past diet plan needs to be examined,it should not have made you an unhappy person.Nobody said you couldn't work your neck a little...right?
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 66
Posted: 6/27/2013 8:39:49 PM
I understand what mobility is about.Being able to do basic movements on the rings would be extreme for our age bracket.But simply strolling a few miles isn't being able to sprint,jump,or run a mountain path.Or ride a mountain bike uphill 1000 metres.Or perform a deep squat with good form.Carrying excess weight works against you in every category.

And again your examples are extremes and are not necessary to be healthy, fit and mobile. I worked with a trainer to set up a program specifically for me and me ruined knees. Again has nothing to do with weight and everything to do with multiple injuries.

You know, the day after I suffered the horrendous break to my leg, tore the cartilage in my knee, sprained my hip and ankle the doctor asked me to lift my leg off the bed. He said I know you won't be able to, but at least try. I proceeded to do multiple leg lifts, he was stunned, I should not have been able to even lift my leg off the bed more than an inch or two. Why could I do this, because of the muscles built from the amount I walked. Chubby me had the strength to do something most athletic people can't. Point is, don't knock what others are doing, could be the right thing.

As for "simply strolling" think again about that little piece of arrogance. Walking is one of the best exercises for you.

Scientists have known for a while that merely walking more can massively decrease the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes, but they haven't really known why. But now, by forcing healthy people to act like slobs, they're starting to reveal why walking is the best thing you can do for your body.

or this

As a nation of largely sedentary workers, we take less and less exercise. Yet one of the most simple forms is also the most effective - walking.

Funny thing is those were the first two articles of hundreds regarding the health benefits of walking.

I would think your past diet plan needs to be examined,it should not have made you an unhappy person.

You are absolutely correct, the past diet plan did need to be examined. Once I stopped starving myself to obtain an unobtainable weight, I was able to exercise more, am far less tired, sleep better, enjoy sex more, stomach no longer bothers me, virtually no more migraines, am on the whole a much happier person. Thanks I will take the few extra pounds and the far, far better health any day of any week. And again, according to the studies, because I am fit, a non-smoker, moderate drinker who weighs in a touch on the heavy side I am statistically likely to live a longer, healthier, more productive life than the "average" athletic people.

Nobody said you couldn't work your neck a little...right?

Have no idea by what you meant with that statement, it makes zero sense.

So enjoy your workouts, nothing wrong with it, but don't put down how other people tend to their health, could be as good or better as what you are doing. Different does not = bad, merely = different.
 satx78218
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2013 2:11:01 PM
the most critical:

diet

moderate exercise

plenty of non-interrupted sleep

longevity has been "correlated" across many cultures across the planet to amount of sleep
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 6/28/2013 2:15:35 PM
Hamilton --

When I re-read your replies to other posters, I see more pain and frustration in what you write that I do anger.

And, believe me, as a woman six years your senior I really DO feel your pain.

When I lost 42 lbs in the last few years I had a horrible time. I thought I would NEVER be able to do it all because of problems that are unique to mature women. There were so many books on the market, so many dieting clichés, and so much malarkey from the medical profession.

There's so much about the diet and exercise problems that they don't understand. I had to read a lot do a lot of research and experimentation with my own body to find a way that was healthful, nutritious and safe before I could lose an ounce without starving myself.

I don't know all about you, and can't say that I know what would work for you -- but I am willing to share what worked for me. If you are interested, and want to consider some options to safely shed a few pounds, please feel free to message me personally, and I'll tell you what little I know.

I started out as a size 14, and since have maintained a size 4 skirt, and 8-10 top (broad shoulders) for the last 2 years.

Best wishes to you in whatever you decide.

LuuLuu
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 6/29/2013 2:49:47 PM
And you to SATX --

I just have to tell you THANKS!!!

YOU are the only that correctly diagnosed that I have re-active hypoglycemia. YOU opened the door to my weight loss, some time back.

After I read your message I bought a glucometer, studied up and FINALLY found out what to do.

If it hadn't been for you, I would weigh 500 lbs by now.

You and I may not always agree about everything on all the forums -- but I will forever be in your debt.

To Hamilton --

I do not mean to say that you have exactly the same problems you do, but I still think I could share with you some things that might help.
 activemelaney
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2013 10:06:31 AM
What percentage of patients coming through our clinic have issues relating to being overweight? 60% or so whether it be respiratory, joint, aches, sleep issues, etc. Hamilton claims she recovered from her fractured bones etc. because she was used to carrying her chubby weight around....hint....you have a much higher chance of breaking a bone, damaging soft tissue if you are fat. Simple physics of mass and momentum. Excess fat also DELAYS recovery time due to poor circulation. Fit patients are often candidates for day surgery...in and out...the overweight patient often needs extra monitoring of vital signs, impact of anaesthesia, etc.

Nothing is better for the aging process than physical activity and a healthy diet. The other things are useful but are secondary. You want your 'innards' all running smoothly. Excessive sun exposure is a variable external to our bodies that should be avoided but no real consensus on how much rays we need.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 6/30/2013 2:30:10 PM
Recover fully and completely, MaeFlowers!
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 72
Posted: 6/30/2013 7:49:38 PM
L_Luuluu

When I re-read your replies to other posters, I see more pain and frustration in what you write that I do anger.

Actually you don't see any of those, because there is no pain, frustration or anger, there is merely amazement at the arrogance of certain people.

I don't know all about you, and can't say that I know what would work for you -- but I am willing to share what worked for me. If you are interested, and want to consider some options to safely shed a few pounds, please feel free to message me personally, and I'll tell you what little I know.

I know exactly what works for me, at that is the weight I am right now. After I broke my leg, I gained a lot of weight, but once my mobility was back to 90% of what it had been previously, I started on the journey to lose that weight and been 100% successful. I knew what I needed to do to get back to the weight that my body feels comfortable at and what I need to do to maintain that weight. You apparently keep missing what I have said. I am fit, walk at least 5 k every day, ride my bike to work at least twice a week, go to the gym regularly, swim and do a special rehab program at home
, eat a healthy diet, my cholesterol levels are amazingly good according to my doctor, my blood pressure is probably lower than yours and as I said before, I have more energy than I ever have, migraines are gone, sex is better, my moods are better than they have ever been. I simply wish that I had known what healthy looked like for me long ago.

I started out as a size 14, and since have maintained a size 4 skirt, and 8-10 top (broad shoulders) for the last 2 years.

And that is nice for you, never have been and never could a size 4, 6 , 8, my hips are too big, even when I was very underweight, I could barely manage a size 8, so that means nothing.

Hamilton claims she recovered from her fractured bones etc. because she was used to carrying her chubby weight around....hint....you have a much higher chance of breaking a bone, damaging soft tissue if you are fat. Simple physics of mass and momentum. Excess fat also DELAYS recovery time due to poor circulation. Fit patients are often candidates for day surgery...in and out...the overweight patient often needs extra monitoring of vital signs, impact of anaesthesia, etc.

Nothing is better for the aging process than physical activity and a healthy diet.

1. Never claimed that, said that the day after I broke my leg, I could do leg lifts off the exam table which stunned the doctor, could do this because of my level of fitness and how strong the muscles in my legs where.

2. My weight had nothing to do with how I broke my leg, I was in a accident. And you might want to tell the fat part to my skinny 9-year-old self who broke that other leg over 30 years earlier.

3. Funny statement regarding recovery times, was out post-op 1 hour and 15 minutes from the time I wheeled into the recover room. Why because I was completely ready to go post general anesthetic. in and out faster than almost all patients.

4. I agree completely with you on the last statement and that is what keeps getting missed, but you are making the assumption that just because someone doesn't fall into x numbers, they are unhealthy, not always the case, often not the case.
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 73
Posted: 7/1/2013 10:22:28 AM
^^^^ I have seen all the things you are describing in as many people who are not overweight. What you are describing has more to do with level of fitness than weight. Yes many of the things described can also be attributed to being obese as opposed to being slightly overweight. I think there is a great amount of confusion regarding this and many statements made.

Many people on here seem to be lumping everyone who weighs in at more than the "ideal" in the same category of fat, lazy, unfit and unhealthy. That just isn't so. The people who get injured in sports and such activities do so because they do something that is beyond their level of fitness regardless of their weight. As we get older our bones tend to become softer (woman even more so than men), so we need to do some weight lifting (doesn't need to be huge and painful amounts), and weight bearing, closed circuit exercises along with a variety of aerobic exercise including walking, swimming and biking. For a long and healthy life, it is not necessary to be able to regularly hike 15 km, run up multiple flights of stairs or mountain bike up vertical slopes, it is necessary to stay mobile, get enough exercise and eat a healthy diet. All things in moderation tends to lead to a long healthy life. Not everyone can run marathons etc no matter how hard they train or try, we are not all built the same and genetics and body build play a much larger factor in ability than most people realize.

Now for me, my knees are buggered due to a combination of things. Congenital defect (can't change the way my knees were shaped), ignoring the doctors instructions when I was young and stupid (wish I could go back and change my stupidity, but I can't) and an unavoidable accident. Wasn't in the driver's seat of either vehicle so I can't change the accident that completed the process of destroying one of my knees. All I can do is deal with the aftermath and continue to live a healthy active lifestyle. For me, knee pain is an indication that I have to readjust my exercise because I am doing something that irritates the existing conditions. My SO loves to hike and routinely does 15 - 20 K on a Sunday, didn't take us long to figure out that I am good for about 10 -12 k on the hiking trails and then my knees rebel. So when we are together on Sundays, we plan a route that I can stop at the half way point and read a book, or he does 2 rounds of the hike, he doesn't look at it as me being out of shape because I can outride and outswim him, my knees just don't tolerate more than 10k or so of walking. H3ll, most "fit" people can't walk 10k in one session so I don't feel bad at all.

As for aches and pains being attributed to being old, some of it yes, no matter how careful we are with our weight, the weight bearing joints tend to wear down as we get older, RA effects a little more than 1% of the population and many of those are undiagnosed being it is just minor aches and pains and we don't go to the doctor for those. As for walking up half dozen flights of stairs or run for an hour on the soccer field, that totally depends on how your joints behave and again often that has nothing to with weight and everything to do with genetics, unavoidable injuries and the abuse that young people do to their bodies when they are young and "invincible".

Deciding that anyone who can't keep up to you is not fit, does a great disservice to many active, healthy and fit people who merely don't fit into you notion of what fit should look like.

In the end as someone posted earlier, a healthy diet, MODERATE exercise and proper sleep are the things that help us to maintain our health as we get older.

Now as to the OPs original question, we can't manage or slow our aging. For every year that we are alive, we get a year older, nothing we can do to change that. And getting older sure beats the alternative. What we can do is maintain a fairly healthy lifestyle so that we can age more gracefully.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 7/1/2013 9:49:17 PM

Many people on here seem to be lumping everyone who weighs in at more than the "ideal" in the same category of fat, lazy, unfit and unhealthy. That just isn't so

If the "ideal weight" that you are referring to is the BMI, you are exactly right. The BMI standard is a joke to many people who lift weights a lot and have a lot of muscle tone.

I have been a weight/strength trainer plus cardio, myself, for over 25 years, and due to muscles being heavier than fat I weigh almost 20 lbs more than I appear to. I also have large and dense bone structure (per my doctor), so I will never be able to be light. I'll never be pencil thin (as is often considered the ideal these days). I feel that abdominal flatness, ratio of waist to hip size, and overall appearance are FAR better criterion for health than numbers on a scale.

BTW: my b/p ranges from 109/74 to 100/80 -- so I HOPE your b/p is NOT lower than that.
 L_LuuLuu
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/2/2013 12:22:39 PM
I'll agree with BOTH Francesca4u and Sciencetreker on points that they make.

For FRANCESCA:

I say that a 90 lb woman over 5 feet tall is NOT going to have an “ideal” hip to waist ratio (which is SUPPOSED to be at least 10 inches). She WILL be pencil thin.

Per size charts the sized 0, 1 or 2 woman will likely have a 24 inch waist and 33 inch hips, with a 32 inch bust (assuming the “girls” are not made of silicone). So that would be a 9 inch hip-to waist ratio, at best. Mine is 13 inches, and – trust me -- that did NOT happen all by itself.

And woman who is NOT genetically inclined to have hips will not naturally have them. (Time to hit the squat machine -- ouch! WILL NOT HELP if you are very under weight)

If a person’s blood sugar is generally high or low, they will generally NOT be able to digest carbs efficiently, and therefore the stomach will tend to protrude at least a little --even down to the last lb off. (mine is low so, the stomach thing is a TERRIBLE constant battle. And so is weight maintenance).

The dangerous part comes in, however, when the woman’s body takes on the “apple shape”. Or a man is slim with a bony rear and a HUGE protruding belly. Those people are most inclined toward heart troubles, high blood pressure, diabetes, and, etc.

A woman who is in reasonably good shape is going to be ok health-wise, whether or not she is considered to be “attractive” to SOME of the men-folks.

And BELIEVE THIS -- almost any woman over 55 is NOT bloody likely to be all that genetically inclined to have 6-pack abs. A REALLY flat stomach requires abdominal work-outs to tone the muscles. Fat loss alone USUALLY won’t do it.

For SCEINCE TREKER --

Yep! You’re right. It’s a HARD choice for some of us due to genetics. But – it’s a choice. It depends upon how badly you want it.

Even when we do our VERY best , most of us are NOT going to look like Barbie or Ken. But we can be healthy and look decent.

Low carb diets -- IF done correctly and with proper nutrition in mind -- are a good choice for those of us with high or low blood sugar.

Treker, if you even say the word “cookie” to me, you’re going to bring tears to my eyes, and envy to my heart.

But, happily, if you search “LOW CARB RECIPES” on You-Tube, you’re going to find some recipes for goodies and treats that you could have NEVER gotten away with before. You can find ice cream, cake, candies, pizza, breads --- and YESSSS!!!!! Cookes! Plus more. Most of them are made out of good stuff that is actual food -- like almond milk, eggs, gelatin, etc. They are not for EVERY DAY additional food consumption. But they surely come in handy, when I just can’t stand it any longer.

Another of us has indicated that my advice is not welcomed – but for those who might be interested:

I just want to say this about all types of arthritis:

2 words: CANADIAN ESSIAC.

It took me from every day, all day painful, crippling misery, to perfect health.

The American doctors gave me NSaids until they just didn’t work anymore. But the ESSIAC got rid of all the chronic inflammation, and helps numerous other conditions, such as acid stomach.

If YOU are suffering from some chronic condition, please Google ESSIAC. IF you want to try it, please buy only the REAL stuff from Nurse Caisse from Canada. It’ s expensive, but cheaper than medications.

I personally, don’t suggest it as a sole cure for cancer. But I agree with the concept of control of acidity and chronic inflammation in disease prevention and treatment.

Also want to mention another good idea from our Canadian friends:

You can actually buy your own small ultrasound machine which will help a lot in speeding up healing from minor sports injuries. I did it with an older case of “frozen shoulder”. Now have full range of motion in the arm.

If you need a bit of re-hab from past injuries, you can do it yourself in the shower. Just let your muscles warm up from the hot water, and position them correctly with your arms. Hurts a little, but that is exactly what the physical therapist is going to do to you.
Check with your doctor first, and don’t try it on a recent SERIOUS muscle or ligament tear.

GOOD LUCK AND GOOD WISHES TO EVERYBODY
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > What steps are you taking to manage/slow your aging?