Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pamioakley
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Intelligence and datingPage 5 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I'm certain that your interpretation of intelligence and mine are subjective. While a man who is well educated might have a lot of knowledge, a man who has grown up by the seat of his pants might have more smarts when it comes to day to day life. When you say "the same level as you" you DO come across as an intellectual snob. Sorry. Just my take.
 AwesomeKisser
Msg: 91
view profile
History
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 7/9/2013 11:19:25 AM
Wow, everyone gets so up in arms on the forums! :) I don't understand why some people here have to be so judgemental (or perhaps defensive). Just like individuals have different tastes in looks or personality etc. everyone has a different idea of what type of intelligence is important to them. Whether it's intellectual/educational type intelligence or emotional intelligence or whatever. We all have our own preferences and it's not really cool to attack people for sounding "arrogant" because they prefer a certain type of person.

I'm of the intellectual/educational type intelligence school. I am well educated and a real geek with a love of knowledge and science etc. I would like somebody I can share that with in a similar way. That probably means someone university educated with a bit of a science background like mine if possible. Can I possibly find that in a non science or non university educated person? Perhaps and I'm open to investigating that. But just from experience, I know that's who I might mesh with best. Your mileage may vary.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 92
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 7/10/2013 4:04:30 PM
Since when do intelligence and dating go together anyway?

To some, very much so. To much of the population it's about the lack of a lack of intelligence (lol) that's most important when it comes to dating -- where personality compatibility is most important, not how-intelligent specifically. One who is a self-described "intellect" may want that more as that becomes much OF personality compatibility. Intelligence comes in different directions. Someone with a "rapist wit" comes across as intelligent and is at least of average intelligence or more, but the much smarter guy who doesn't have that quick wit & persona isn't going to land as many Interested dates (all other things being equal).

Nobody ever ends up at that first date table based purely on their intelligence. Would anyone care to say otherwise while hooked up to a lie detector?

Well, among a small minority of people, they very well may -- for a first date while not being interested in them. People will go out on a 1st date because of "on paper" attributes they feel they should give them a shot (rarely works out).

And "intelligence" is such a broad term. It's like saying someone who's a "strong" person. Okay, in what ways? In what ways strikes a chord with you for appeal, vs in other ways may turn you off or be benign?

But all in all, yes, with most people Looks is a Big Deal. It doesn't mean it's everything of course. Especially for those who can get a really great looking person much easier than most around them.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 97
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 7/17/2013 9:07:10 PM

I shy away from being an internet grammar nazi, but I believe you mean a 'rapier wit'.

Oh no, I meant to say "rapist wit". :)

It's from Dumb & Dumber! Kind of an on-the-side way of being "whhhitty" ;)
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 100
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 10/24/2013 8:34:48 PM
2 YYs U R
2 YYs U B
I C U R
2 YYs 4 Me
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 10/25/2013 5:02:23 AM
The last "genius" I actually talked to on the phone and WAS going to meet talked slang and used a lot of vulgar words.
Every other word was Sh!t and Fyck.

He had a PHD and is a university professor. He sent links to show off /prove his position at the university ect.

I canceled our plans.

I prefer above average intelligence, but wit and curiosity along with a big heart wins out with me over those letters behind the name.

I know brilliant people with below "MENSA material" IQ's.
Many forms of brilliance out there.
 John255317
Msg: 103
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 10/26/2013 9:10:29 AM
The word "intelligent" can mean a lot of things and being intelligent can be a great thing and it can be a very boring thing. Depends on the individual. I know people who have social skills and are intelligent at the same time. Those are people I enjoy. Then there are people who may very well be intelligent in a certain field or fields but social skills and actually real life living is lacking a lot!
 Ainen
Msg: 105
Intelligence and dating
Posted: 11/15/2013 8:50:07 AM
The OP didn't sound intelligent at all. Typical. The ones who boast the most about being intelligent, smarter, intellectual, etc, tend to be the least intelligent.

Earlier this year on another site, I saw one of the most repulsive profiles ever. She began by claiming "I am smarter than you", ending with an order not to message her unless your IQ is at least 130.

As to which site has smarter people, the other site seems to have more users who say they have a PhD or master's degree, and a higher % on this site have just a high school diploma, therefore I'd say the people on here are smarter.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >