Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How does one handle superset rudeness?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HonestDeception
Msg: 21
How does one handle superset rudeness?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Sciencetreker) The OP needs to get a life. I go with the flow and feel great when I leave. Me thinks the OP needs to be flexible and not get annoyed by trivial things.

I agree. I go to the gym to relieve stress (well, and to blast my guns, too... ). They have a c0mment wall, which is (predictably) filled with whines about this-or-that piece of equipment being broken, or this-or-that personal trainer inconveniencing them. It's amazing what some people will complain about....

Such juvenile answers .. quoting other people to post to them ... yet, I'm the one that needs a life? Sad really. Arlo ... if I recall you correctly ... you were that electrician/MBAx8 that whined about men in your field. I'm not surprised.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 22
How does one handle superset rudeness?
Posted: 8/12/2013 5:31:27 PM

(HonestDeception) Arlo ... if I recall you correctly ... you were that electrician/MBAx8 that whined about men in your field. I'm not surprised.

That would be a big negatory on your correct recall, HD, as I've never been an electrician (well, other than messing around with a science kit when I was a teen... ah youth!).

Gyms should offer gripe water for some of their fussier clientelle...
 activemelaney
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/12/2013 10:40:56 PM
This thread is proof that no matter how well life is going that there is something new to **** about just around the next corner.

OP most of us learned social skills in elementary school. 'Excuse me, I would like to use this machine. Is it OK if I work in?' Exactly how many of these rude people do you come across in your gym visits? Are you sure this isn't the prison weight room?

Anyways, try to smile in the mirror for ten minutes each day.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 8/13/2013 2:30:30 PM
We're Not Gonna Take It
no, We Ain't Gonna Take It
oh We're Not Gonna Take It Anymore.......Twisted Sister
 bamagrl68
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:02:50 PM
hamilton12345- Good advice and spot on. I used a large gym for years, there were so many choices, it rarely was a problem.
I preferred doing circuit training and was always mindful of others waiting. I never tried to take up two machines at once, others weren't always polite.
Rather than get into it, if this happened, I would just go out of order and use the machine available and then go back to where I normally would start.
If I came in and found all the machines in the circuit taken, I would either use free weights or go to the walking track or pool and do laps.
When I moved, I couldn't find a big gym to save my life and started working out/walking at home and found an apartment with a pool, problem solved.
 GuitarPlayer64
Msg: 26
Posted: 11/12/2013 7:48:40 PM
That's not nearly as bad as what people at the gym I used to go to do. The roid ragers would toss 250 pounds of metal on the floor and you could hear it on the I other side of the building. I can tolerate one person doing exercises on two machines side by side intermittently, I never tolerated the young 18-22 year old brats who think the gym is a place to hang out and have their little chats while they block 3 or 4 machines.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 27
Posted: 11/24/2013 11:03:04 AM

(running bluesparks) Or have I misremembered my own youth?

Nope, people are dumber and more ill-mannered today than previously.
 aanarchist
Msg: 28
Posted: 11/26/2013 12:11:20 PM
Tbh machine hogging is kinda rude, you can let someone use the other machine while you're using the first one. The best way to avoid that is to use free weights, they're better anyway and every gym has their share of rats that you can't avoid.
 DragonBits
Msg: 29
Posted: 11/27/2013 8:08:30 AM
It's annoying when someone sits on a machine talking or looking at their cell phones.

I don't see a lot of superset rudeness, but I do see this sort of thing.
 Chipsss
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 12/15/2013 12:06:43 PM

The roid ragers would toss 250 pounds of metal on the floor and you could hear it on the I other side of the building.

If you are doing a dumbell chest press to the point of failure, you can't place the weights back down on the floor in a controlled manner without 250 pounds of force into hyper extension of the shoulder joints. I don't take steroids.

I work out at home and only do my legs at the gym (because they are tricky to do at home). The leg machines don't seem to be used that often. Blocking machines is annoying. If its an old person I usually give them a bit longer before approaching. It's always best to start politely with a smile and say you'll only be a couple of minutes (and would be 2 mins if you are serious), I think that way the ball is in their court to prove whether they are an a$$ or not.

If I was a gym owner this would concern me also and I'd keep a look out for it because it could be bad for business if people stop going.
 statemachine500
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/15/2013 5:40:54 PM

If you are doing a dumbell chest press to the point of failure, you can't place the weights back down on the floor in a controlled manner without 250 pounds of force into hyper extension of the shoulder joints. I don't take steroids.

Dropping or heaving the weights on the floor is dangerous.I believe the kids guitar player refers to are the people always doing benching and curling contests with their punk buddies.That's why the squat station is usually free.
 aanarchist
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/15/2013 7:16:44 PM
Dropping the weight isn't a sign of steroids it's a sign that someone is working hard, try it sometime.
 BabblingBrookes
Msg: 33
Posted: 12/16/2013 6:28:16 AM

What is the best (tried and proven) way of handling this

I just smile and tell them they can work their set in after me. It's not like a set will take a long time and they're already using another machine. I've only had one person get snippy with me and I offered to continue the discussion with the manager present. She shut up and went about her snippy way.

Dropping weights is actually prohibited at my gym. If you can't put the weight down without dropping it, then you're using momentum to do your lifting. It's a clear sign you're not strong enough to lift that much weight. You can work out a muscle group to failure without dropping...otherwise you'd drop it on yourself when the muscle "failed". You can control it if you know what you're doing.

My personal pet peeve is when guys alter the station to their size and then don't change it back. This isn't a big deal when I can reach all of the components, but I can't reach the top of the cable machine. I've gone so far as to grab a step to try and reach it to no avail. I either have to ask a guy to help me, or go without if no one is around. *grrr*
 aanarchist
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/16/2013 7:19:18 AM
One of my personal pet peeves is when people who bullsh!t in the gym cause problems for people who are actually there working hard.
 statemachine500
Msg: 35
Posted: 12/16/2013 2:58:09 PM

Dropping the weight isn't a sign of steroids it's a sign that someone is working hard, try it sometime.

Why do you keep mentioning anabolics?I will explain something to you,since I have been working out twice as long as you have been alive.If the db's are heavy enough to drop after the set,you will soon injure yourself getting them into place,or your general purpose conditioning is quite poor.Likely both.If you really want to work hard on presses and flyes try it with rings while wearing your neck harness,you can just dip your head to unload after the set.Of course,your strengthology trainer doesn't recommend this,so I doubt you will.
 aanarchist
Msg: 36
Posted: 12/16/2013 6:29:52 PM
Nice job with the reading comprehension, as well as the flaring ego and subsequent factoid spouting and condescending tone. That really projects a nice aura of wisdom, obviously your 20+ years of training have built a lot of character.
 statemachine500
Msg: 37
Posted: 12/16/2013 7:21:57 PM
@bluesparks

Just start laying on a couch with your head hanging over the edge,add resistance from your hands later.Then on your knees first doing extensions,then looking up side to side.It's important to go easy at first,I don't do bridges anymore because typically we have some degeneration in there.You can bite down on a stretchy to do neck rotation,put your opposite hand under your chin to make sure it doesn't dip while you twist.
@anarchrist
It's still dangerous to drop them,somebody might suddenly walk by.I started every day pushup when I was nine,close to fifty years working out now.
 busyBoy1991
Msg: 38
Posted: 12/18/2013 10:37:17 AM
I can't speak for everyone, but if a person asks me if they could join in while I do my superset I never have a problem with it. If i'm strapped for time I may find another area to do my exercise, but I never say no you can't use it.
 Chipsss
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 12/18/2013 4:24:29 PM

Dropping or heaving the weights on the floor is dangerous.

I’d always stand clear of someone who is doing free weights regardless, for some reason that just seems to make sense.

I don’t know why I am saying this again.

For the dumbbell chest press one would need to place the weights back on the floor by lowering their hands behind themselves with all the weight they are holding going into hyperextension impingement of the shoulder joints. I don’t drop the weights for anything else because there is no hyperextension involved in the shoulder joints.

While the arms offer no resistance in fall, if the weights are still held onto until the floor then they wont go further than arms length.

In this clip where he is using lighter weights than he is capable of (as it’s a demonstration and he needs to speak) he “dumps ‘em on the floor” (shortly after 1:30).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99qWU_mVb4

In this one he appears to be at his maximum and shortly after 2:12 he drops them to avoid hyperextension impingement of the shoulder joints.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJ0l8zffxik
 statemachine500
Msg: 40
Posted: 12/18/2013 6:23:42 PM
For the dumbbell chest press one would need to place the weights back on the floor by lowering their hands behind themselves with all the weight they are holding going into hyperextension impingement of the shoulder joints. I don’t drop the weights for anything else because there is no hyperextension involved in the shoulder joints.

Really?How did you get them up there?You placed them on your thighs while sitting on the bench.You kicked them up with the aid of your knees.You can bring them back to rest on your pecs and slide them down.Either that or have two spotters or use a barbell.Most gyms frown on people tossing weights,I've been threatened with termination for doing this.If they land on a member's toes,you could get tangled up in a lawsuit,especially if there is a policy of not dumping weights.You should stick to a min of six reps with db presses,or use supersets.....flyes followed by twice the number of presses.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2013 3:22:19 AM
Couldn't some of this "rudeness" be avoided if the gym had employees that didn't just sit up frt sipping smoothies and take a few minutes every once in a while to walk around to see whats going on and make suggestions to people?
EXP.
I have a class of 35 on Thursdays and some of the members that move slow get beside the ones moving wide ( in stride) and fast, can't follow the instructor or want to chat while doing the exercises. Half the time I have to move 2/3 times in an hour ( even though most have "usual" spots but wont use them).I'm afraid ill hurt/kick some slowpoke or ones that dont know the rt from left (going left when we are to move right).
The instructor COULD ask these repeat offenders/people to use a certain area and let the advanced students stay together and work harder on the exercises than spend time dodging people who cant.

TWO sides of the huge room are used, the instructor is in the middle and it just makes common sense to put the advanced on one side of the room and non advanced or directionally challenged on the other side.
I find the men in class much more aware of where to be and they never cause issues in this particular class.
They get behind the long legged or fast women/men.
Possibly because they are more used to gym settings. Maybe they like the view. Who knows?

If I do a lunge or back kick for exp., I dont worry about the men behind me or beside me but if one of " those" particular women gets back there I have to constantly adjust how far I lunge back/kick and constantly look behind/beside/even in frt of me when my eyes need to be on the instructor.

I know this isn't a super set/weight class that day, but the principle is the same to me.

I used to get a bit angry, now I MOVE as its just a waste of energy to get angry about it when no ones going to change, so I change.
 statemachine500
Msg: 42
Posted: 12/19/2013 8:27:49 PM

I understand that it can be dangerous, you can't just throw them around like some meathead, but there are times like for me personally I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats to failure, meaning I dont stop until I cant complete the final rep, it's either drop the bar or get injured. I dont even do that often so i dont think a guy dropping a bar maybe once a month is that distracting. As for other people they should know through common sense not to get too close to someone lifting a barbell, like that's just stupidity on someone elses part if they see you lifting hard and get within 3 feet of you.

There will always be people that don't watch out.I don't go lower than five reps in the squat outside of a cage.Use the safety pins.Or a safety squat bar outside and hold the uprights.
 junjun11
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/20/2013 3:55:59 AM
Reply that "I'm sure dumbbells are more your speed" then jump on the machine. Seriously though, you have to be assertive and tell her there are others she can use after, then ignore and do your thing.
 billingsmason
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:51:43 AM

I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats to failure

!!! letting weight fall from your shoulders is ignorant. period.

"maybe once a month"? that's like 25% of the time, training legs.
Use a cage. There is a good reason some folks are known as meatheads.
 billingsmason
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:44:43 PM
aanarchist- I agree, ignorance can be unwitting...
maybe english isn't your first language, or you just haven't been around long enough to master it, or your studies in "strengthology" have given you enough information to be dangerous... I don't know.

I do know dropping a bar from squat position is dangerous. that is why they have cages.

it's also hard to tell who you're posting to... if you don't name them, quote them or put in the number of the post.
it's a bit like a 10 year old standing in the median barking at traffic... you can't really tell if he's trying to be specific or just been in the sun too long.

fact is... I quoted you. I derived my post from your own words.
words like:

there are times like for me personally I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats

it's either drop the bar or get injured.

I've been in the gym a long time too, tho state has us both beat.
I'm 37, chiseled and have lifted in competitive atmospheres for many years.
when I hear bullshit- I call it.

there is a big difference between letting 100 lb dumbs drop 6 inches, as you're finishing a set of bench- then getting out from under a 200 lb oly at partial standing height.
same weight, one is annoying- one is ignorant.

on a side note, I push to fail often too. learning to fail safely is the trick.
spotters, smith machines, cages, negative reps, forced reps, drop sets... all better alternatives than shedding the bar.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How does one handle superset rudeness?