Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How does one handle superset rudeness?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
How does one handle superset rudeness?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Couldn't some of this "rudeness" be avoided if the gym had employees that didn't just sit up frt sipping smoothies and take a few minutes every once in a while to walk around to see whats going on and make suggestions to people?
EXP.
I have a class of 35 on Thursdays and some of the members that move slow get beside the ones moving wide ( in stride) and fast, can't follow the instructor or want to chat while doing the exercises. Half the time I have to move 2/3 times in an hour ( even though most have "usual" spots but wont use them).I'm afraid ill hurt/kick some slowpoke or ones that dont know the rt from left (going left when we are to move right).
The instructor COULD ask these repeat offenders/people to use a certain area and let the advanced students stay together and work harder on the exercises than spend time dodging people who cant.

TWO sides of the huge room are used, the instructor is in the middle and it just makes common sense to put the advanced on one side of the room and non advanced or directionally challenged on the other side.
I find the men in class much more aware of where to be and they never cause issues in this particular class.
They get behind the long legged or fast women/men.
Possibly because they are more used to gym settings. Maybe they like the view. Who knows?

If I do a lunge or back kick for exp., I dont worry about the men behind me or beside me but if one of " those" particular women gets back there I have to constantly adjust how far I lunge back/kick and constantly look behind/beside/even in frt of me when my eyes need to be on the instructor.

I know this isn't a super set/weight class that day, but the principle is the same to me.

I used to get a bit angry, now I MOVE as its just a waste of energy to get angry about it when no ones going to change, so I change.
 statemachine500
Msg: 42
How does one handle superset rudeness?
Posted: 12/19/2013 8:27:49 PM

I understand that it can be dangerous, you can't just throw them around like some meathead, but there are times like for me personally I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats to failure, meaning I dont stop until I cant complete the final rep, it's either drop the bar or get injured. I dont even do that often so i dont think a guy dropping a bar maybe once a month is that distracting. As for other people they should know through common sense not to get too close to someone lifting a barbell, like that's just stupidity on someone elses part if they see you lifting hard and get within 3 feet of you.

There will always be people that don't watch out.I don't go lower than five reps in the squat outside of a cage.Use the safety pins.Or a safety squat bar outside and hold the uprights.
 junjun11
Msg: 43
Posted: 12/20/2013 3:55:59 AM
Reply that "I'm sure dumbbells are more your speed" then jump on the machine. Seriously though, you have to be assertive and tell her there are others she can use after, then ignore and do your thing.
 billingsmason
Msg: 44
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:51:43 AM

I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats to failure

!!! letting weight fall from your shoulders is ignorant. period.

"maybe once a month"? that's like 25% of the time, training legs.
Use a cage. There is a good reason some folks are known as meatheads.
 billingsmason
Msg: 45
Posted: 12/20/2013 5:44:43 PM
aanarchist- I agree, ignorance can be unwitting...
maybe english isn't your first language, or you just haven't been around long enough to master it, or your studies in "strengthology" have given you enough information to be dangerous... I don't know.

I do know dropping a bar from squat position is dangerous. that is why they have cages.

it's also hard to tell who you're posting to... if you don't name them, quote them or put in the number of the post.
it's a bit like a 10 year old standing in the median barking at traffic... you can't really tell if he's trying to be specific or just been in the sun too long.

fact is... I quoted you. I derived my post from your own words.
words like:

there are times like for me personally I only really let the weight drop freefall is on a set of squats

it's either drop the bar or get injured.

I've been in the gym a long time too, tho state has us both beat.
I'm 37, chiseled and have lifted in competitive atmospheres for many years.
when I hear bullshit- I call it.

there is a big difference between letting 100 lb dumbs drop 6 inches, as you're finishing a set of bench- then getting out from under a 200 lb oly at partial standing height.
same weight, one is annoying- one is ignorant.

on a side note, I push to fail often too. learning to fail safely is the trick.
spotters, smith machines, cages, negative reps, forced reps, drop sets... all better alternatives than shedding the bar.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > How does one handle superset rudeness?