Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 51
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Well looks like most replies here covered a lot of the main factors of extrinsic aging...

Can't say I don't admire a premature silver fox with a little salt and pepper going on in the scruff- meow
 cooldog65
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Why do most men look twice their age after 50?
Posted: 12/15/2013 8:22:56 AM
^^^^^
Neeeyooowww!

"Man-o-pause" (Decline of testosterone and growth hormone) is a strong contributor to rapid aging for men. Time for TRT and roiding up.

When I hit 50 in 2015, I'm gonna look 100? Time for this sexy beast to bust out the black balloons. Stick a fork in me, I'll be well done.
 gotreef1
Msg: 53
Posted: 12/23/2013 10:45:02 PM
Seek out men that take good care of themselves. I have no intentions of ever looking my age. At the age of 41, I keep active and recognize the importance of taking care of my skin and all things that tend to be dominated by time and gravity. Your 50 something is out there, trust me on that!
 activemelaney
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2013 10:58:09 AM
Blue line...'exposure to cold weather'

Huh...women in the northern states and especially Canada look younger. Cold weather stimulates the skin.

The best anti aging regimen is exercise. Activity. Physical movement. The more the heart is pumping, the better the circulation. Other things have an impact but a healthy motor is paramount.
 satx78218
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 12/26/2013 7:11:12 AM
An even broader, and certainly more accurate, and just as "fair", generalization:

Why are most women over 50 seriously overweight or obese?

(and before you get started, it ain't for medical reasons)

And why does that question really p!ss off women as "unfair"?
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 56
Posted: 12/26/2013 5:58:30 PM

The same reason that most men over 50 are seriously overweight or obese.

High calorie intake + lack of exercise = weight gain. People make excuses and get defensive instead of taking responsibility for making healthy choices.

Hey, I don't always feel like working out. But I know I'll feel much better afterwards. Sometimes I mentally grab myself by the collar and match myself to the gym. Once there, I go through my weightlifting and stretching routine. I leave feeling terrific.
 statemachine500
Msg: 57
Posted: 12/26/2013 6:45:05 PM

An even broader, and certainly more accurate, and just as "fair", generalization:

(and before you get started, it ain't for medical reasons)

I thought it was for the same medical reasons that men suffer from,a gradually increasing insulin insensitivity.
 satx78218
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/27/2013 6:35:47 AM
insulin insensitivity is a symptom, not a cause
 statemachine500
Msg: 59
Posted: 12/27/2013 5:38:55 PM

insulin insensitivity is a symptom, not a cause

A symptom of a poor diet and likely not much exercise.But would people transform into the thick bodied types without the decrease in insulin sensitivity?Even big bodybuilders get blocky waists from what many claim is their abuse of insulin while following decent diets.
 aquila75
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/27/2013 7:39:39 PM

The vast majority of men in their 50's has spent around 30 years trying to figure out or please women. The defense rest.

still laughing
 satx78218
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/28/2013 8:42:08 AM
Just read up on BBers (ab)using insulin.

the blockiness is what?

muscles?

visceral fat? Even though they are extremely ripped from very low %age body fat.
 statemachine500
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/28/2013 2:44:19 PM

Just read up on BBers (ab)using insulin.

the blockiness is what?

muscles?

visceral fat? Even though they are extremely ripped from very low %age body fat.

This is still being debated.There is also the see saw battle with growth hormone vs insulin,being administered at different time periods.No evidence that gh actually causes internal organ growth.It's a merry go round at times concerning answers you might get from various gurus.
 or_current_resident
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/30/2013 3:33:19 PM

...women in the northern states and especially Canada look younger. Cold weather stimulates the skin.

^^^^^ and then they go to Fl, Cuba & Mexico in the winter months and lose all their youthful looks in the sun…. ^^^^^^

Yet I find female Eskimos, would rather stay up north during those months of long cold & dark nights……. ^^^^^
 Reality.of.Life
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/3/2014 9:33:55 AM
It is because I feel like am 100 :)
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 3:15:27 AM

...women in the northern states and especially Canada look younger. Cold weather stimulates the skin.

It stimulates mine to peel and turn red in spots.
I think its the corn bread/pecan pie and not the heat as far as southerners.

I see men and women aging well and those that don't.
Stress is a major factor , then lifestyle ( food/exercise/being relevant).

A simple hair change can take off a few years.I'll never get why over 50's think the darker the hair, the younger they will look .Not usually the case in men or women. ( the shoe polish look we all have seen).
 ThatGirlNamedAlli
Msg: 66
Posted: 1/5/2014 9:14:56 AM
I was going to say too cold air sucks the life out of my skin. I went to winnipeg last year early fall when it was starting to get colder...dryer air. I thought my regular moisturizer would be enough. uh uh. When i got back here to vancouver, as soon as i stepped out of the plane door i could feel my skin like a sponge...and boy it felt so great, like bathing in moisturizer.
 activemelaney
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 9:43:26 AM
At the end of the day, all rather silly generalizations.

People in every decade of their lives are quite a diverse lot. I was asked for my ID until I was 30...my best friend could pass as an adult at 17. I thought one doctor our clinic was in his late 40's. We were having a coffee and he mentioned doing the Twist in high school...he is in his mid 60's. Wander through the ER and the guys with drug/alcohol history mostly look 15 years older....the older guys coming in because they broke a finger tossing a frisbee tend to look 10 years younger than their age.

Bottom line. Extremes in all decades.

^^^^thatgirlali

Re Vancouver. Been to Vancouver a dozen times. No worry about skin damage up there due to sunshine. ID be more concerned about having moss growing from my ears.
 mitchozie
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2014 8:28:12 AM
You can't beat genetics. I'm 74, with barely a wrinkle. I think people who enjoy life, age slower. Yes, my picture is current.
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2014 2:03:41 PM
Possibly due to decades of not taking care of their physical appearance coming back to them. It seems there is quite a low youth/beauty standard for guys so most seem not to bother about caring after their physical attractiveness plus many probably don't think they are suited to as I find most guys have quite an inflated ego estimation on their attractiveness.

In my country, America, I find most guys tend to have that all used up look after 30.
 statemachine500
Msg: 70
Posted: 1/19/2014 4:54:24 AM
^^^^

Quite possibly they forget all about fitness. What is the first question a woman asks her friend about a new man she recently met?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 71
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:07:59 AM

What is the first question a woman asks her friend about a new man she recently met?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
You know the 2 top questions.
Not looks.

Looks come in about 3rd in the over 50's friends.
Younger than 50's friends will ask about looks before over 50's friends.

I don't find more men than women look older after 50 except for skin care/sun damage and men can get away with lines and furrows more than we can imo.
 DoubleParked
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:56:55 AM
A bit off topic, but 'dahling darling' wrote---
In my country, America, I find most guys tend to have that all used up look after 30.

The poster is all of 23 years old. When I was that age, anyone 30 and older looked positively ANCIENT. haha (not to mention we didn't 'trust anyone over thirty'!)

Guess it all depends on where you're standing.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2014 1:51:57 PM

When I was that age, anyone 30 and older looked positively ANCIENT. haha (not to mention we didn't 'trust anyone over thirty'!)

Guess it all depends on where you're standing.

I found between 25 and 35 a lot of us went from looking like babies to "old" really quick. Reality as they say "bites".
30, being average.
Most of us were early into stressful careers, 1st mistake marriage or i should say divorce,young children/older parents and social pressures to have what our parents did or better. Stress. It will age you fast.

Its seems most lighten up a bit after 40 and start to look our age/better again.

Most of us look younger than our parents did at our age unless they just don't care.
Look at this pic of what the ave over 50's woman looked like in1960.
She is between 55-58 here if my time line is right.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3948456704/nm0062592?ref_=nm_phs_md_3
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 dahlingdarling
Msg: 74
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2014 7:22:33 PM

Quite possibly they forget all about fitness. What is the first question a woman asks her friend about a new man she recently met?

Meh in my experiences/observations it's never his looks that's like the third question while the first question depends on her personality, social environment, and age. For myself it's been like this:
under 18: who does he hang with? (I find the question's meaning is to determine his popularity and social rank)
18 - 23: what is he like? (I find the question's meaning is to determine his personality)

24 - 27: how much does he make?/what does he do? (I find the question's meaning is to determine his stability and if he makes as much as her)

28 - 35: is he looking for something serious? (I find the question's meaning is to determine his commitment and desire for marriage)
 contrapuntal
Msg: 75
Posted: 1/27/2014 8:58:19 PM
Testosterone levels drop.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Why do most men look twice their age after 50?