Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 3
view profile
History
A Girl Called Jack (Cooking on a budget)Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Thanks for the tip, will check it out tomorrow! Your Grandmother sounds ace!
 daver987654
Msg: 7
view profile
History
A Girl Called Jack (Cooking on a budget)
Posted: 7/30/2013 6:45:46 AM
Like it or not the price of food is based on world markets. You will see the cost of meat going up as the developing nations are more able to afford it. The same goes for all other foods too. We have been used to very cheap food which we used to source from Commonwealth Countries but now we are part of the glorious EU you are also paying to subsidise inefficient farmers throughout the EU, a bloated civil service to manage it and the mafias.
 Nottinghamfellow
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2013 10:27:03 AM
Not related to the author of "In Place of Fear" then.....

I do not receive any benefits, unless single person reduction (25%), on council tax is regarded as a benefit, but for a single male I do believe some benefits are low. They are not free, they are paid for by the tax payer, me and from what you imply, you. This is what civilised society does.

However, I do agree that whilst I am shite at money management and am interested in these recipes/ideas, I hope that they and similar things intended to help those on a meagre income (whatever the source (or should that read sauce;-)) are not turned around to be used as a sh itty stick to beat folk with.....
 daver987654
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 7/31/2013 1:33:02 PM
Notts, the single person really does get shafted in the benefits / tax system.

However, unfortunately you are wrong about this "I do believe some benefits are low. They are not free, they are paid for by the tax payer,". The taxpayer, you and I don't pay for what we receive, it's mostly paid for by business taxes and about a quarter is not paid for at all but is borrowed from future generations.

You might not agree with Frank but there's a certain amount of truth in what he says. How come people come to this country and get jobs and build a good life whilst we have 2 and 3 generations of some families who have never worked. How come some people work fifty and sixty hour weeks and are worse off than people who don't work at all.

You want to know why housing is so expensive. Well look at the benefits system. It underpins the cost of rents and hence the value of houses.

I said earlier that the price of food is governed by world markets. get used to the idea that we are probably living in a golden age. As more developing nations get richer there will be more demand for the food you and I are used to buying cheaply. Indians don't eat rice and onions day in and out because they love it they do it because it's cheap. Their middle class is growing enormously and they will want the meat and the fruits and veg we currently buy. Ditto China and Brazil.
 daver987654
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2013 2:15:07 AM
Clumsily put by me. I am trying to highlight that we don't have a right to services because of what we pay in. Sure we all pay VAT etc but the simple numbers show that income tax does not cover the social security costs by a long way which is what most people think. The other simple truth is that we are borrowing £120 billion every year to subsidise our living standards. One fifth of the money the government spends on our behalf every year is borrowed from the future.

The housing benefits system does underpin the price of housing. You can argue the rest but if the government was not prepared to pay at the levels it does then the price of housing would fall. It's a rubbish system which doesn't achieve much for anyone, certainly not the taxpayer.

I'm bored with people blaming Mrs Thatcher. You may not have noticed but she left office 20 years ago. Most of the time in between Labour happened to be in power. If the things she did were so wrong why didn't Blair and Brown do something about it.

And I'm equally bored with blaming this government for the predicament we are in. Most of the labour years were spent in a very benign world economy. The accepted economic plan for such times is to pay down as much debt as possible so that you can borrow when times get tough. That didn't happen. Or at least not in this country. But they did just that in Australia which is booming - "recession - what recession Cobber?".

The reality is that whichever government had got into power at the last election would have had to do the exact same things. They can promise all they like just as that nice Mr Hollande did over there in France, but once in power there is very little influence the government can have given the levels of debt run up over the years. Yes, I know you're going to come back and blame it all on the banks, quite rightly so. But who was doing what to keep the banks in line during the Prudence Brown years. For sure not that Mervyn King who is now positioning himself as some sort of guru. Nor anyone from the FSA.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2013 9:00:46 AM

I haven't looked at the Jack thing and don't need to. It's really very very easy to eat nutritional food cheaply: don't buy processed food, stay out of Greggs, McDonalds, and any other 'fast' (i.e. crap) food outlets, buy proper fresh food and cook it. What could be simpler.

I couldn't agree with you more Polly ( I seem to agree with a lot of what you say)

I watched a programme not so long ago about a woman struggling to feed her family. Just about everything she fed them was processed food and ready meals.

I'm lucky, my mum is an old fashioned cook and knows how to make the most of fresh food and I am the same. I love my food and I love to cook.

Jamie Oliver was often on the T.V boasting how he could feed a family of four for a fiver. I just didn't get it. I could easily do that.

I'm not sure that I would want to buy food that is dirt cheap and sub-standard, but with a bit of effort, it really isn't that hard to make delicious, nutritious food that doesn't cost the earth.
 Chuzz16
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2013 10:51:22 PM
^^^^^^

I've got two weeks off work starting from today. As I don't want to turn this thread into a recipe thread (that wouldn't be polite now would it) ;) I will put a few recipes up on the cooks forum just for you.

I hope you like offal. :)) Cheap as chips( well cheaper in some cases).

I do use lots of spices, and yes, I have them all in my store cupboard, but once they are bought I don't have to buy them again for a while.

If I make curries or other such things, I tend to use chicken thighs instead of breast and for stews, cheaper cuts of meat are fine. Stews can be bulked up using pearl barley and lentils (also very cheap and filling.)

I do find I spend more on food in the summer months per meal as I love fish and that's very expensive (unless I walk down to the harbour and buy from the little hut that sells straight from the fishermen. ( 5 herrings for a pound) yummy.

I do grow my own herbs. I hope you won't think that's cheating if I include those.

Oh and oluben, though I love using wine in a lot of my cooking, I can do without putting it in if I feed children.

Nothing gets wasted in my house and even a chicken carcass gets boiled up the next day to make a soup or stock.

Now I will be the first to admit that as a food lover and love cooking, a lot of the meals I cook cost far more than a fiver, ( and so far in my life I'm lucky enough to not yet have to worry too much about it) I didn't say I do it with every meal, just that it can be done, easily.
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 12:56:18 AM
I think if you gave a potato to some of the young uns these days they wouldn't know what to do with it; probably think it's a weapon.

Some of us do know our way round the kitchen! I can turn my hand to almost anything these days, accept I don't do bread or ice cream...

vvv DT you only have 1 meal you can cook, chicken curry

SGIH - I am according to Polly practically a foetus. I am devastated that you would make such a comment though. Boo! (Plus I think you mean "you're")
 try1more
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 7:21:25 AM
"(Plus I think you mean "you're")"

"accept I don't do bread or ice cream..."

erm rose you didn't mean except by any chance did you? :-)

and her with the bog brush for a boyfriend, aint the only one that can't work out what you meant ben.

don't have a telly so know nowt about it, but i did start a thread about foraging sometime ago, you may be surprised what you can get for nothing but effort, and as far as nutrition goes wild food probably has more than any commercial stuff, but you really need the spare time to find out about it not to mention find it.
 TheRe-SownRose
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 9:05:43 AM

"accept I don't do bread or ice cream..."

erm rose you didn't mean except by any chance did you? :-)

HAHAHA yes T1M I did mean except. I am such a knob and totally deserved that!!!
 Chuzz16
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 11:02:58 AM
Gosh; food, economics and high heels..... what a women you are Chuzz :))

You forgot about the bikini Billy ;)

I bought
some duchy organic ham the other day....

Add it to 6 beaten eggs and some parmesan cheese, a few herbs and ground black pepper and you have a delicious Carbonara sauce for four. :)

PS Chuzz, enjoy your holiday. I was in Broadstairs myself last weekend. Very nice.

Thank you Bill I intend to. Broadstairs is lovely and the week after next is Folk week. It will be such fun there.
^^
Did you see that Billy...I provide tourist information too. :)
 GeordieColin
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 1:42:41 PM
What bollix. It may be possible to feed two for a week on a tenner for one week using stuff you already have. But no way could it be maintained happily unless you have naturally grown food stuffs that you could rely on to supplement taste and satisfaction.
 try1more
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 2:44:53 PM
you may be interested in this link

http://recipespastandpresent.org.uk/wartime.php

just copy and paste into your address bar.

this has wartime recipes with info on rationing in uk.
it also has other recipes, some dating back to 1912.
bear in mind that some ingredients considered pauper fare in the past. are now only for the rich, and so very expensive, (don't know if these are in any of the site recipes as i've not been all through them)

note: i'm using firefox on win 7 and clicking the next button to go to the next page simply reloaded the current page, i had to click on the page number to go to the next page.oops!:-) several shades of pof? :-)
 GeordieColin
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 3:06:08 PM
^^^ Saved. Thank you :-)
 Chuzz16
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2013 6:01:32 PM
Carbonara sauce, I have to own up to my ignorance chuzz, it's not an easy thing for a man
of my intellectual wherewithal but I'm not too au fait with carbonara sauce, I'll study it after I google it.
If I had to guess, I'd guess it would be our Spanish opponents, El pof lona making lewd noises about
our football garb.

It's Italian Billy, the Italians are ok.
Don't talk to me about the Spanish. That Spanish lot at Real Madrid are making me very unhappy at the moment, no matter how much money they like to splash about. :(((
I try to ignore lewd noises, I like a peaceful life. :)

OT. ( I'm a good girl, I am)
I have just got in from a very nice party. On the menu tonight was a whole roast piggy. Not a suckling pig, but a great big fat pig. It cost £450. That included a chef to cook and serve it with rolls and stuffing (we didn't eat the chef by the way) There was about 400 people at the party ( It may have been 200 people, I had a lot to drink and was seeing double by the time I left).

I think I may have gone over my budget tonight.
Show ALL Forums  > UK forums  >