Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Accents      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 seafoodandeatit
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Accents Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
phoenix_55
[But like another poster said, some accents are "dealmakers" ... those darn Aussies will get me every time ;)]

well phoenix_55 you would just love it down here! most of us love your accents ! and our slang cant through use tho. lol
 BorderCollieMix
Msg: 27
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 5:37:47 PM
In general, I enjoy the diversity of speech to which accents contribute.

Can't take the Australian accent, though (the "a" sound, in particular), and would have serious issues with anyone who is a native English speaker but has horrible grammer and misuses/mispronounces words on a regular basis--whether they had an accent or not!
 OutMind
Msg: 28
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 6:01:11 PM
I love accents. I have a South American accent and it works to my advantage. But I see accents as signatures to where one person may be. Some people can tell the difference between a Brooklyn and Bronx accents. I can tell the difference between an Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, accent and the mountain accents of Tennessee and North Carolina. Even****ey English can be quite fascinating.
 pamioakley
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/1/2013 6:20:19 PM
Accents can be sexy I think... I grew up with a French mom, a Scottish dad, and grew up in New England. People ask me where I'm from all the time! I speak the way I speak, although my ex-husband would point out to me when he thought I 'sounded' like I had an attitude. I was always floored because I sincerely had no idea how he heard what he heard and that made it difficult to change it! It's certainly not a deal breaker for me as long as I can understand what is said.
 CouldBWow
Msg: 30
Accents
Posted: 8/2/2013 11:30:10 AM
I guess it depends on the accent?

I cant think of many dealbreakers unless the accent was so thick you couldnt understand what the person was saying without subtitles!

On the flip side, an accent may earn a few points! I suppose its all relative.
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/2/2013 12:03:52 PM

I love accents. I have a South American accent and it works to my advantage. But I see accents as signatures to where one person may be. Some people can tell the difference between a Brooklyn and Bronx accents. I can tell the difference between an Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, accent and the mountain accents of Tennessee and North Carolina. Even****ey English can be quite fascinating.

+1, the ethnic enclaves in the Bronx and Brooklyn are different so the accent is different. DO you like the Nanny's accent? lol . Fran had a queens/Long Island accent.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/2/2013 12:14:41 PM
I'm with Eric. An accent isn't even on my radar as being the least bit important.
 lostnfoundluv
Msg: 33
Accents
Posted: 8/2/2013 3:49:40 PM
imagine if your partner adapts to your accent and loses his or her own accent? You know it they are so into each other !
 urgal2416
Msg: 34
Accents
Posted: 8/3/2013 5:47:51 AM
If he is a nice person, I don't care about his accent.......but I love an Irish accent. :) Give me a leperchaun anyday!
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 35
Accents
Posted: 8/3/2013 6:43:41 AM

+1, the ethnic enclaves in the Bronx and Brooklyn are different so the accent is different. DO you like the Nanny's accent? lol . Fran had a queens/Long Island accent.

Fran has an extremely nasal tone so its hard to say one is not influencing the other, it sounds more Brooklyn mixed with Long Island.

I still don't know what a Bronx accent is, and google nor YouTube helped. They mostly spoke about a Newyorican accent but it doesn't seem to apply to most Bronx natives. Most people I speak to in any borough just sound/speak ghetto, maybe thats what is being referred to as an accent. I've always spoken very differently from my classmates and was constantly volunteered to read aloud in class (elementary through High School) because I speak standard English. Isn't that what is taught in school? I guess " yo, let me get some blank blank and make sure you include blank in there" is the norm here in the Bronx FML

I've never heard a Queens accent, it sounds regular to me.

But Brooklyn and Long Island is noticeable to me, many of my co-workers speak with a certain inflection in words, or pronounce them differently, but it sounds more like an Italian way of speaking English, if that even makes sense. It just sounds rough. They don't like it when when someone identifies them as "the one with the heavy Brooklyn accent".
 adventurejoe70
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/3/2013 9:06:12 AM
^^^queens and long island are practically the sAme. Problem is many areas of queens is being settled by out of town yuppies so a lack of accent will be present.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 37
Accents
Posted: 8/3/2013 9:15:51 AM

^^^queens and long island are practically the sAme. Problem is many areas of queens is being settled by out of town yuppies so a lack of accent will be present.

Oh, ok, that explain it.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 38
Accents
Posted: 8/5/2013 8:37:31 AM
I wouldn't normally think accents would be a deal breaker for me.
But after listening to Dale Earnhardt Jr's "Dew" commercial on the
radio, I can honestly say I'd rather gnaw my own pinky off than listen
to that accent for the rest of my life.

There are some Maine accents I can't understand at all.
So yeah, I'd have to say, not all accents are sexy. Some can be annoying
as hell.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/5/2013 9:04:54 AM
Some can be bad, some can be good. Some can add a couple of points to a persons overall attraction score.
I, personally, am a sucker for a good accent...pretty much anykind.

Any accent from Brittania will do it for me.
 hounddoug
Msg: 40
Accents
Posted: 8/5/2013 10:26:17 AM
This entire thread reminds me of the Zappa song from the 80's about Valley Girls. "I do not talk fuuunny."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-LArv-sEQU
 Sciencetreker
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Accents
Posted: 8/5/2013 11:01:05 AM
I have a French accent and my girlfriend a Danish accent. Sometimes we inadvertently teach each other wrong words in English because of our respective accents. i know what a spoon is but she used to ask for a 'tayshpun' and I didn't know she was saying 'teaspoon'. I thought you ate soup with a spoon and stirred coffee with a tayshpun. One day we had friends over and I said the tayshpuns were in the drawer (another hard word to pronounce) He asked what a tayshpun was and why it's on the door. Anyways, a few laughs later he explained it was 'teaspoon'.

What is strange is after 25 years in Canada is now when I go home, my family says I have an accent and other people in my town will ask me where I am from. When my girlfriend returned from a trip to Denmark her accent increased and it took a few days for us to have a flowing conversation in English.
 Aura1shine
Msg: 42
Accents
Posted: 8/5/2013 11:39:54 AM
while I myself having an accent because English is my second language but I think I do pretty well spoken. Thanks to my ex because he would not understand certain words of my pronunciation till he saw a written word that I had tried to communicate with him.

I love to listen to any accents but had the hardest time to understand certain "Aussie" accent with vowel sound between "a" and "o".

It is a game for me and have fun since I was young to figure out what is the original language spoken from the person. My ex boss an American as a third generation still have thick accent of German, while my ex roommate in the college whom came from the same area with her dropped most of his German accent.

While I love Britt's King English accent and will do automatically speak when among the Britts, I found the American accent is easier for me because I talk fast. My cousins whom came from England also preferred speaking in American accent with the same reason.

Accents have never been a problem for me since I grew up mingle with the international communities but it is a fun guessing game for me about one's intellectual, attitude and much deeper to one's root in his/her upbringing while speaking to others.
 agoraphobic_insomniac
Msg: 43
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 4:25:15 PM
Oh no she didn't.
 Maleman999
Msg: 44
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:11:24 PM
If someone has an accent, it means they came from another country-not counting the various American accents in different parts of the U.S. If there's a big cultural difference from their home county, that could be more of a concern than someone who speaks with an accent-especially if they came from an ultra-religious country.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 45
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:28:48 PM
With people learning a new language, jokes are frequently the last thing they understand.

Witty banter and conversation are important to me. My humor is ad lib, often puns or a play on words. If my date cannot understand my humor or make me laugh, that is a deal breaker.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 46
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 5:30:00 PM

I don't think it would ever be a dealbreaker.... there are definitely some accents that are 'dealmakers' though ;)

what she said...

Accents are wonderful; and an accent with a rich wonderful voice? yummy.
 SngleNarlington
Msg: 47
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 6:56:33 PM
I like accents! It's just that little extra thing that captures my attention and makes a woman stand out compared to others.....but I don't discriminate.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 48
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 7:23:54 PM
The way I look at it, as long as we can understand each other and conversation flows, then accents are no problem. However, if someone has a heavy accent, and I'm ALWAYS stopping to say "what?" "huh?" then "Houston,
we have a problem."
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 49
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 7:31:51 PM
I have an accent as I lived the first half of my life in Germany (German is my native language). I never had much of a typical GErman accent to begin with (thank the Lord), but I still sound "different", and most people love it. Most men I've dated totally loved it and begged me to never lose it, lol.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 50
Accents
Posted: 12/23/2013 11:56:04 PM
An accent wouldn't be a deal breaker, but the country of origin might. I was married to someone from another country and the cultural differences were enormous. I have to remind myself that ALL people from a certain place aren't the same. But, I would never get into a serious relationship with another Hispanic male. Relationships are hard enough without the added cultural things added to the mix.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Accents