Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Apartment Downsizing and Dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 pamioakley
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Apartment Downsizing and DatingPage 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
[When you do find someone, at least you'll know they are not a golddigger and really love you for you. Money can't buy you love.]

Smiles... Thank you, but no one that IS a golddigger would ever consider an administrative assistant.
 pamioakley
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Apartment Downsizing and Dating
Posted: 8/20/2013 6:22:50 PM
[My own place is part of what is holding me back right now, for similar concerns, mainly because it does NOT represent ME yet.]

I'd like to think that anywhere I live will represent me - even the things I'm ready to part with represent me. At the same time, I want this smaller space to speak even louder about who I am. Hopefully, IF I ever meet a man who is seriously interested, he will see that it is "just right" too.
 pamioakley
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 6:30:53 PM
[/at the same time, i'm pretty sure most men have many, many more opinions about what you look like]

Obviously true! LOL
 pamioakley
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 6:39:23 PM
{/quote This question is one very similar that women have about the height of the men they are dating.......for some it is important and for others, not so much!]

I disagree. I have no issue with men that are 5'7" or less as long as they state that in their profile. My experience has been that anyone who says they are 5'8" (I'm short myself) is shorter than I am.
 pamioakley
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 6:39:56 PM
One of these days I'll figure out how to quote some one!!!! LOL :
 Peter_Hungus
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2013 7:17:16 PM
It's a Manufactured home... not a "trailer" lol.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 32
Posted: 8/20/2013 9:17:19 PM
Also remember if you invite a nice guy over for drinks and dinner...you're also inviting him into your boudoir.
Is the difference between a modest one-bedroom and a studio THAT remarkably different in monthly cost?

Posted by pamioakley:
"...One of these days I'll figure out how to quote some one!!!! LOL.

It is a piece of cake with a bit of practice!
 MsMicki
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2013 4:41:47 AM
I downsized from a 3 bedroom house in town to a 16 X 80 single wide trailer in the country 10 years ago.
I have 1 acre of yard and 7 acres of woods.
It is paid for and all mine and I love it!!
Because it is paid for, it has allowed me to have things I wouldn't normally be able to afford.
I have the "party yard" everyone wants to hang out at!!
A pond, a pool and an awesome outside bbq area.

I have never heard one negative comment about living in a trailer!!

It is not "where" you live.......it is what you do with it.
 pamioakley
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2013 2:39:04 PM
OMG I'm LOL about some of the responses but... Molly you are awesome!

I'm not going to defend my position as I've already laid it out there. I'm very confident that I can make a studio a real home and one I would not be concerned about friends visiting. As far as the types attracted, unless I'm wearing a banner that says I live in a studio apartment, how exactly would they know upfront? There are wonderful people out there from all walks of life. Their occupations tell little about the kind of person that they are or their intelligence level. I grew up in a blue collar family and was previously married to a doctor. I'll take my family over him and his former colleagues any day (he has since passed away).

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughts!
 pamioakley
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2013 2:39:27 PM
Thank you, 3ffervescent!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 36
Posted: 8/21/2013 7:10:56 PM
Decisions naturally depend on the financial dollars and cents...yet real world practicality is something to consider.
If the difference between a studio and a one-bedroom unit is $100/month it might be worth it for storage alone. Is that money that one might need to then pay to a storage facility for belongings that could *not* be donated or sold?

While not one who throws parties extremely frequently, I do appreciate being able to entertain guests in my townhouse without them all essentially seated in my bedroom. Transitioning to a studio might also require investment in a Murphy-style bed that folds down from the wall. Everyone is free to make their best financial choices, yet it also makes sense to contemplate times of peak load, holidays, and/or when out-of-state friends might visit for overnight stays.
 Paderic
Msg: 37
Posted: 8/21/2013 7:28:24 PM
Personally, I could never go back to apartment living. Too many toys and tools. Plus I can't imagine sharing walls again at this point in life.
 pageforyou
Msg: 38
Posted: 8/21/2013 8:30:03 PM
In our city it generally STARTS at 400$ more,(ie 1000$ as opposed to 600$, if you rent) per month to have a one bedroom instead of a studio. At that range both are quite small, averaging between 360 and 600 sq feet.

If you buy ... you are looking at at least a 100k more to have a bedroom instead of a one room studio.

I think the days are gone when the difference in price is only a 100$ a month for either rent or a mortgage, to get a bedroom, unless you don't live in a city.

I've lived AND worked in fairly small studios with high ceilings, in poorer neighbourhoods of large cities, for most of my life. I've never had a fold out couch or murphy bed.

I built a sectional with eight mitered boxes (and custom cushions) long before "sectional sofas" were common. Each box had a secret door to store/hide equipment. My places always looked like a fashionable reception area, until I went to sleep at night. When I slid the boxed into a rectangle which made a very comfortable double bed.

I date mostly artists and creative people. Even when they are very successful financially they have never looked down on me for the type and size of home I have. Obviously this is something we are all used to as our very limited resources facilitate our appreciation of MANY things other than the material.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/22/2013 12:05:23 AM
I couldn't care less about a womans dwelling, as long as her servants treat me well...why complain?
 NinerV
Msg: 40
Posted: 8/22/2013 12:41:05 PM
Eric said what I was thinking, having a studio is like dating from a hotel room, the bed is right there... not sure many men will judge the size of your place but when you have them over, they will probably have sex on their mind.
 Miss W
Msg: 41
Posted: 8/22/2013 3:17:58 PM
As long as he is a big boy who can support himself, I don't care where he lives. He isn't living with me!
 MsMicki
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2013 5:50:22 AM

Eric said what I was thinking, having a studio is like dating from a hotel room, the bed is right there... not sure many men will judge the size of your place but when you have them over, they will probably have sex on their mind.

If a man can't look at a bed without turning into a raging hormone........he needs to grow the hell up!!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 43
Posted: 8/23/2013 5:54:10 AM
My name is contained in the sentence some posters keep quoting.
Ensure you understand that is NOT precisely what I wrote earlier.

My viewpoint is one should examine the actual dollars and cents price difference between the two styles. If it is just a minor "stretch" of a budget, the one-bedroom does give a bit more flexibility. For example, it allows one to shove a mess into the bedroom and close the door if you find you'll be having visitors with only five minutes of notice. That sort of thing.
 mjinict
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2013 6:07:24 AM
I think it would be much preferable to have a separate bedroom for obvious reasons but one would have to weigh the cost difference and financial ability to maintain. I couldn't imagine not having at least one bedroom. If I had an apartment, I'd have to have a patio or balcony to get outside as well. I guess you gotta do what you gotta do, though.
 Tsar850
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/23/2013 11:13:09 AM

No fuss/no muss. What I couldn't do is live in a studio (too small) or live in a trailer, yuk. Whenever I think of trailers I think of "tornado waiting to happen" and "trailer trash". If I was going to buy something I'd want it to appreciate not depreciate.

I have to laugh at this the mobile homes built for decades now are stronger than most site built homes. They are nicer as well.

Just goes to show you how some judge others not by the actions of the person but their own myopic views.
That is a person that I would just as soon not even meet.
 Tsar850
Msg: 46
Posted: 8/23/2013 12:05:52 PM

We all have our preferences and our own opinions, gotta love that about being a free human being. And, my opinion is based on an item that will never grow in value, trailers just depreciate.

Really there are some trailers in the keys that are bringing north of one million dollars that were built in the 60s and 70s.
If you check they have increased in value. Heck even here in the panhandle there are some trailers that are bringing a cool half million.

Ah well, those of us with apparent myopic views probably wouldn't meet you anyway. You don't want me to judge others choices and opinions yet you judge my opinion.

No I judged your statement of calling others trailer trash.

So looks like you have it wrong on both counts trailers can increase in value and I wasn't judging your opinion I was judging your degrading remarks about other people just because they live in a trailer.

Also I didn't say that you couldn't voice your opinion I think you should as it will show others your true self.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 47
view profile
History
Posted: 8/23/2013 12:41:30 PM
In the future I will be living in a van down by the river.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/23/2013 2:05:40 PM

I am in the process of selling my condo as I've moved and it's appreciated by quite a bit since I purchased, in fact it's tripled.

Tell that to people who bought at the Top of the Market.........A house down the street from my daughter sold for $715k before the crash.....After the crash, it was worth $290K........
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2013 9:55:50 AM
A mature, sensible person in the downsizing age group should do just that. As for me, if I found someone who is in the process I would respect his common sense and knowing how to handle his money.
I ran into a classmate not too long ago who's in debt up to his eyeballs and spent a big chunk of money on a used luxury car he didn't need. I saw him a lot differently after that.
As for your situation, anyone who really cares for you would respect your decisions. Forget the stigmas...it's what you have to do and it's the right choice for you. That's how grownups think.
FYI...I'm downsizing too...don't need all this accumulation of stuff collected through the years. As soon as I can sell this property (I survived the recession in a paid for home) I'm moving to a small town just outside KC. Can't wait.
 MsMicki
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 8/25/2013 5:37:32 AM

"tornado waiting to happen"

I'll bite!!
Sure, a mobile home isn't as safe as a wood frame house......but when an F4 or F5 is barreling down on you......
that wood frame house isn't much safer!!
Thank god some of us trailer trash folks know what a basement/ storm cellar is!!

Your ignorance shines brightly when you use such demeaning terms as "trailer trash".
Living in a condo/standard home/apartment has never denoted the "class" of the individual living there.

It's all about choices.......and how you live with those choices.
It's also about respecting other's choices.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Apartment Downsizing and Dating