Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 160
Do you care about a womans number ?Page 6 of 16    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16)

(WIP) Personally I think you feel it makes you look more intelligent ...

Well, *THAT* would be impossible! I'm just a little****ns...

... here to point out something about me you feel you know but I can't figure out about myself.

Knowing something about yourself is nowhere near the same thing as admitting something about yourself...

You can certainly take my question the way you want if it makes your day, AT ...

I *KNEW* we'd find common ground somewhere!
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 161
view profile
History
Do you care about a womans number ?
Posted: 8/31/2013 2:01:00 PM
It might be time for me to explain a little more of my own personal views on this subject, just to provide a different perspective, maybe, and to maybe encourage something deeper than the current back-and-forth stuff. And I think that my views about it for myself is the same as some other people, they just might not completely realize it, so I’ll express it concisely here for their benefit as well.

I don't bash or slut-shame men or women who have a high or low number, or are more casual with sex than someone else, or just don't care about trying very hard to find something more long term, monogamous, etc. I genuinley don't "judge" them according to what's normally meant by "judging". They can do what they want. That's their prerogative. Not my business. And, a high or low number might be for all kinds of possible reasons, and not always necessarily an indication of their attitudes about it all.

Sh!t, sex is fun. As a heterosexual man, I see all kinds of yummy all of the time that, yes, a part of me would like to get my hands and mouth on, and if I did, the woman in question better grab onto something and hold the hell on. Hell, on the one hand, I was a 30 year old virgin, but on the other hand, I'm not a virgin anymore, but on the third hand, I've since not been very promisuous at all, my number is pretty damned low, yet the whole time, including when I was a virgin, somehow I don't seem like I'm that way and people call/called me a liar, secure in their impression that I'm a real stud. What's that all mean? This educated me on what really makes a stud a stud, as much as I was educated about people by the ditsy responses I'd get from folks when they learned that I was a virgin. What I understood early on, at least about myself, was that whenever I see a sexy woman and am feeling horny for her, it's not really sex with her that I'm wanting. Just having that sex would actually end up being very boring and pointless, nothing like how some people feel about it upon initial physical attraction. Even as a teenager I was smart enough to know that I could partake in some of the opportunities for sex, but that it wouldn't really be so simple, and I'd feel afterwards that it really wasn't worth my time (actually, more-casual just-for-sex encounters is always a possibility and would be fun and worth the time, but I haven't found one single woman who knew how to make it that way).

The big mistake that some women make...the ones who want more than sex...is that they equate making themselves cute and sexy, having that so-called "romantic" response and passion from a man, and the so-called bonding experience that comes from the wooing and courting and resultant sex, with the existence of anything more, deeper, longer lasting, or meaningful. To women, dressing or making themselves up a certain way is only about how to look good...as opposed to how they look "meaning" something about who they are inside (again, not talking about the ones who do want to sexually attract a man). And of course, the mistake that some men make is not understanding this until it's too late, unconsciously thinking that a woman is a certain kind of person because of how she's dressed or made up, or letting themselves believe who they're supposed to be as men, or how they're supposed to behave, according to bullsh!t pop-culture about what makes men men and women women and how they're supposed to get together. (And please don’t anybody respond as if I don’t acknowledge the ways in which some men are liars and players also.)

But anyway, an important point I really wanted to make with this post, that might get lost in all the jibber jabber above - I want a woman who does not have a high number, and who isn't very casual or promisuous. But it isn't because I think that there's anything wrong with that. It's not because I think less of them in any way. It's not a shallow matter of morality. It's not just because of the odds for STD's...

...It’s because I want someone who has a particular attitude about it all, wants a long term monogamous “meaningful” relationship, and knows what that means beyond the cliché of it. This particular attitude and desire for a particular man and relationship happens to go hand-in-hand with not being very casual or promisuous. She would also have the sense to understand, because she really does want this, everytime she couples herself with another kind of man and/or for a different reason or motivation, she is increasing her chances of not finding this, voting one more time for one over the other, because of how it all works per social dynamics in the bigger scheme of things, and traveling that much further away from finding it.

If a woman just needs some sexual attention or satisfaction, that’s fine. There’s nothing wrong with that. But my woman just would not feel that she’s really getting anything from that, would understand that sexual energy as really being a desire for me and what I’m talking about, would not forsake or sacrifice the odds for finding this by the act of encourging practices on the bigger picture which oppose finding it.

If a woman feels that people need to gain experience and understand certain details of physical compatibility…well, she thinks differently, feels that some of this is a bit azz-backwards, and knows that this area isn’t that damn difficult and can be addressed in other ways.

If a woman just happens to make mistakes, fall too easily, etc…well, that’s part of what someone wants to know - what is her intellectual understanding of these things? When she says that she really feels a certain way about you, does she know what she’s talking about? What are her reasons, her criteria, her motivations or intentions? If she genuinely has learned and changed away from somebody she used to be, you need to be allowed to know this and decide it for yourself, based on information and discussion. You’d also want to know if this is really the case, as opposed to her consciously deciding in her younger years to play that game of telling a man later that she’s “grown” or “learned her lesson” in order to benefit from both sides of the fence dishonestly.

If someone wants to enjoy themselves first, have fun and not be so serious in their younger years, or achieve certain things in life first because they feel that having what I’m talking about would tie them down or take away their freedom…again, that’s fine as far as I’m concerned. Honestly, I see this as a way to be that’s just as legitimate and valid as how I am about things. It’s compatible with some, but not compatible with others, like myself. First, my kind of woman would see finding and being with me as fun, and even more fun. Second, she knows that what she wants can’t be had with just anybody, therefore she might be passing over the event/chance of finding the one or two or three men who might be who she’s looking for because she’s choosing to not look for it and just have fun instead, yet expect to be able to find that kind of man 10 or 20 years later…and she doesn’t want to do things like this. Third, she knows that the kind of man she wants, the kind of relationship they’d really have, would not have the feature of keeping her from doing certain things in life. He would not try to tie her down or take away certain freedoms. Fourth, this is one of the biggest things in life that she wants anyway, and sees some of the freedoms that some people whine about as being ridiculous compared to having the awesomeness of this kind of relationship. She doesn’t just want a long term monogamous NSA-FWB while we pursue other things independently, but she want to actually share the act of living together, and for her this is one of the greatest achievments and things in life to pursue (When discussing recently with someone about “finding by not looking”, according to how they described a “relationship” that they have, it’s really a glorified NSA-FWB, and so doesn’t quite count in that discussion and the opinions that were being expressed about “finding by not looking”). Fifth, whereas some people say that they want someone to share their life with…if you do things this way, you definitely have not tried to share your life with anyone. It’s more like you’re trying to find someone after you’ve already lived big portions of your life, as if at a certain point in your life you only claim to want something more because you can longer afford to do what you’ve done before, and don’t want to die alone…but you haven’t earned it, and it shows that you don’t really want it for the same reasons that somebody else wants it, don’t really understand what it is or value it, and aren’t really wanting the same thing as someone like me. I imagine this type of woman to be that girl who told me to just wait a few years for her while she enjoyed some sex with a few guys, believing that our sex wouldn’t be fun, keeping me hanging and expecting to find someone like me later for that “special meaningful connection” and “sharing our life together” which are really just cliches for her…this woman can do what’s right for her, I don’t feel there’s anything bad about it, but she’s not right for me, and she shouldn’t be trying to get me. If I haven’t made it clear…a woman as I’m describing that I don’t want - it’s not because I think there’s anything wrong with her or how she does things, and I don’t think that she doesn’t deserve a relationship, nor do I think that she won’t find one. But, she just wouldn’t be compatible with me, isn’t who I’m looking for, and should understand who to try and who to not try to get. Even if a woman who appears to be like this, gets with someone who appears to be like me, so be it. That’s irrelevant. More power to them both.

(And btw, it’s weird when women say rhetorical things like “why’s it ok for men to do such-and-such but not for a woman?” when it might not have been ok for a man to do it in the first place. Would it make sense for a woman to complain that it’s mostly men who rob convenience stores with a gun, and so they start doing it as if it’s a matter of gender-equality, becoming that which they don’t agree with and sacrificing who they used to be?)

So, what does all this mean as it applies to questions like “do you care about someone’s number?”? (Remembering, of course, like with many other things, that you can’t pre-judge too much based soley on a certain number.) People are, or should be, trying to find a certain kind of person for them, and need to know how to do this. Wanting to know a person’s number can be (can be) just one of the ways to find out who someone is for this purpose. And, for me, as I’ve said in previous posts, any conversation about the number would really just be a launching point for discussing the why, which is really the part that’s important. A woman who says that she doesn’t care about my past sexual or relationship experiences, or acts as if a man caring about hers is a matter of insecurity, jealousy, ego, possessiveness, or says that we should only care about the time that we spend with each other…would make me cautious, because it implies at least the possibility that she herself doesn’t feel the same way about things as I’ve described here and isn’t looking for the same thing that I’m looking for. Some people are compatible with many different types, and some are compatible with only a few other different types, and some people are compatible only with a more limited range of types. You can be who you are and do what you want, but you should understand and respect the need for honesty and to disclose certain things for the purposes of each person knowing who exactly it is that is in front of them, and you shouldn’t try to “cross over” into being with someone who you don’t belong with or who wouldn’t want to be with you if they knew who you were, because you’re inadvertently using approaches that “work” or exploit the other person’s naivety about these things, even if you don’t mean to but aren’t trying to recognize these facts about how it all should be done. Things like this, and not consciously understanding them, in fact, are the biggest reasons why people have so much trouble and stife in their relationships and making them work. That’s why things like this always come up in the first place. How people deal with these questions, and their opinions about them or if they think they’re even important, reveals a lot.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 162
Posted: 8/31/2013 2:43:37 PM
I suggest you listen to Robert Cray's Too many cooks spoil the stew

Too Many Cooks are gonna spoil the stew
There ain't nobody cooking but me and you

Too Many Cooks are trying to get in your kitchen
The first thing you know there's something missin'
You got a real good oven, you've got a hot range, too
Let me butter your buns while you stir the stew

The stew that your're cooking, it smells so good
It's got everybody talking in the neighborhood
Your spice's so spicy, your sugar so sweet
Your meat is so tender and your juice is a treat

(Guitar solo)

No, ain't nobody cooking, baby
In my house, in my kitchen
But me and you
Awwww

The most important lyric here is that there's ain't nobody cooking but me and you
 no_1_bby
Msg: 163
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 7:29:42 AM

Most women on POF have a market value lower than a snakes belly and women think they have a right to be picky !!!!!

Wrong again.

YOU may feel they have no market value. And that's an entirely accurate thing for you to think. Because to YOU, a lot of the women here don't have market value. However, the reality is, they DO. To the right person.

Right now, you have no market value to me, and I dare say a lot of women here might feel the same way. And that's ok. I wouldn't f*ck you with a borrowed penis on a 10' pole.

But I guess this is what women on POF want. To pimp mens time, to meet guys and then brush him away with no more hestation than she would brush away a street beggar.

I'm not here to meet men. I'm not here to meet women either, being that I'm 100% straight. Just thought I'd get that out of the way. If anyone bothered to read my profile, that is clearly explained.

I don't waste people's time. I don't meet guys. I'm far kinder to a street beggar than the majority of men are to women like me on sites like this.

I'm fat, old, divorced, single parent, unemployed... and there's no shortage of men who want to get into my bed. Some even want it for the right reasons... and don't think that I'm desperate or needy and lacking attention so I'll fall into bed with them just because they ask.

I am a woman, and a human being, and as such, I DO have a right to be picky about who I invite into my bed. And I am. Everyone should be. Everyone deserves to be picky about who they sleep with.

The more you respond here, the more you reveal yourself to be something less than you think you are.
 Visionaryone
Msg: 165
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:21:30 AM
So I have a question for the people that have an issue with the 'number': If a person was promiscuous in their twenties for whatever reason (having fun, low self esteem, etc) and they are now in their late forties and have been with 3 people in the last 17 years because they have matured and realized the error of their not so smart youthful ways, or maybe dealt with their self esteem issues and have since adopted a healthy look on sex, would that STILL be a problem for you?
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:42:33 AM
^ As I explained in my last big post, that's why you'd have to discuss it, be open to the why and facts beyond the number. And this isn't necessarily as a specific discussion about the number, but would just be part of the normal "getting to know" process.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 167
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 10:47:23 AM
I don't care about my guy's numbers, only about who he is with me in the present.

And, as for my number, that's nobody's business. It will go to the grave with me.
 Visionaryone
Msg: 169
Posted: 9/1/2013 11:49:12 AM
As I explained in my last big post, that's why you'd have to discuss it, be open to the why and facts beyond the number. And this isn't necessarily as a specific discussion about the number, but would just be part of the normal "getting to know" process.

@visionaryone. NO, I wouldn't have a problem with that.....what I would have a problem with is if I was with a guy that thinks it's okay and even a GOOD thing for him to get laid as often and with as many women as he can get to have sex with him. And it would especially bother me if he had this attitude but thinks a women should have only slept with a couple of men. Another words, it could very well work both ways. There ARE women out there that don't particularly want to be with a man whore.

Ok this is what I was curious about and maybe why some of us women in the thread may have had our 'panties in a bunch about' with some poster's comments (please correct me if I'm wrong ladies). It just appeared as though some people were writing that NO MATTER WHAT THE CIRCUMSTANCE, they would NEVER date a person that was with alot of people and personally that just seems very closed minded and could make someone miss out on a great person that meets ALL of their other qualifications otherwise, which is kind of odd to me. I think womaninprogress wrote something to the tune of even if someone does openly sleep around for whatever reason, it's unfair to label that person with a negative connotation and dismiss it as a 'bad thing', but as everyone that has strong preferences about how many people a potential partner sleeps with agrees.....it is THEIR preference. I just wanted an understanding not being one of those people.
 dwayne88
Msg: 171
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 2:10:02 PM
I don't really have a concern at all about a woman's number. Wether it be 0 or 70. It's cool with me, as long as she doesn't have any std's.

I'd also hope most women don't care either. But of course, I can only look at it from my point of view of still being at zero.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 172
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 5:30:45 PM
I knew and have always known that I didn't walk the path most people did and that my values were different, but still this makes me sad. I don't mean that in a self-righteous I'm better or worse than anybody else kind of way. Just, I didn't realize how much different from the norm I was and am.

I've never thought of sex as being nothing more than a fun thing to do. I always considered it as part of a whole; icing on a wonderful cake, not the foundation or an extra curricular activity like going to the movies. It's not something I've wanted to share with every man I meet. Or even most men I meet. It means more to me than that.

A man I "met" through another friend started talking to me on facebook. We joked around and then he wanted to send me a picture so I gave him my cell number. He started "flashing" me and wanting me to send him the same type of pictures-not. a. chance.. He started talking about "having to have me". He told me "what's the big deal? It's only sex!" We still have never met. Never will meet. Don't want to meet him. Found out he'd been married 6 months when he started talking to me this way. Didn't want to meet him even before I found out about the marriage. I've blocked him.

What's the big deal? THAT'S the big deal. Sex is never "just sex" to me. I hope it never is. And no. I don't believe in the knight on the white horse, live happily ever after with THE ONE fairy tales.

Oh well. People are different. Que sera sera...Stay calm and carry on.
 lookinfouryoutoo
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 5:33:49 PM

So I have a question for the people that have an issue with the 'number': If a person was promiscuous in their twenties for whatever reason (having fun, low self esteem, etc) and they are now in their late forties and have been with 3 people in the last 17 years because they have matured and realized the error of their not so smart youthful ways, or maybe dealt with their self esteem issues and have since adopted a healthy look on sex, would that STILL be a problem for you?

Most likely, in the case of a scenario like this one, I would not be interested in the woman. I do, however, handle each person on a case by case basis, and as such, I have very few actual deal breakers, but many things will make me lean towards no.
 InShapeAndToned56
Msg: 174
Posted: 9/1/2013 5:47:20 PM
Not really… I care much more about my number!!!
 Tarnished_Knight
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 9:49:56 PM
jlynn1955 thoughtfully added:
I knew and have always known that I didn't walk the path most people did and that my values were different, but still this makes me sad. I don't mean that in a self-righteous I'm better or worse than anybody else kind of way. Just, I didn't realize how much different from the norm I was and am.

I've never thought of sex as being nothing more than a fun thing to do. I always considered it as part of a whole; icing on a wonderful cake, not the foundation or an extra curricular activity like going to the movies. It's not something I've wanted to share with every man I meet. Or even most men I meet. It means more to me than that.

A man I "met" through another friend started talking to me on facebook. We joked around and then he wanted to send me a picture so I gave him my cell number. He started "flashing" me and wanting me to send him the same type of pictures-not. a. chance.. He started talking about "having to have me". He told me "what's the big deal? It's only sex!" We still have never met. Never will meet. Don't want to meet him. Found out he'd been married 6 months when he started talking to me this way. Didn't want to meet him even before I found out about the marriage. I've blocked him.

What's the big deal? THAT'S the big deal. Sex is never "just sex" to me. I hope it never is. And no. I don't believe in the knight on the white horse, live happily ever after with THE ONE fairy tales.

From the opposite end of the sex/gender spectrum let me add my agreement with this prior post; especially the part about "sex is never 'just sex' to me. I hope it never is." While I've missed the intimacy, esp. during the last third of my marriage, I'll not cheapen the moment.

jlynn, excellent post.

TK
[it's TARNISHED Knight, not WHITE Knight; and my trusty stead is a jackass on odd days and a stubborn mule on the rest]
 lookinfouryoutoo
Msg: 176
view profile
History
Posted: 9/1/2013 11:08:04 PM

Great post. In my opinion, this is how things should be. Kudos to you for hanging on to your values.
 Penny_Farthing
Msg: 183
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:28:57 AM

I have just stated that I would prefer a woman with fewer sexual partners, as that is the topic of discussion here.

Id like to know WHY you feel this way if it's nothing to do with your own personal Insecurity and/or Ego???
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 184
Posted: 9/12/2013 3:53:44 PM

(Penny_Farthing) Id like to know WHY you feel this way if it's nothing to do with your own personal Insecurity and/or Ego???

The "Ick!" Factor has nothing to do with ego and/or insecurity...

Gotta love these dime-store psychoanalysts...
 Fleuron
Msg: 186
Posted: 9/12/2013 5:43:01 PM

Id like to know WHY you feel this way if it's nothing to do with your own personal Insecurity and/or Ego???

Well weren’t guys claiming to want a woman who participates in bed, now she’s got to be untouched and virginal…..that’s a good one. I suppose it’s the magical presence of a particular man who turns the chaste ivory statuette into a sexual nympho tigress.

there IS a fool proof way you can tell just by looking at his penis....

Also, the scrotum. Just count the wormy looking folds like rings inside a tree.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 9/12/2013 8:03:28 PM
The numbers never bothered me, it's what happens after the numbers parallel the federal deficit that gets on my nerves. They head straight for Jesus with their testimony and start thumping that bible......just what a man want's, a born again Christian crack whore.LOL
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 9/13/2013 11:58:02 AM
^^^^You're absolutely right...it's my location, I live in the notorious bible belt. LOL
Msg: 190
Posted: 9/13/2013 5:52:25 PM
I don't know what would be considered too high, but I doubt you could find a woman in her 30's that has been with less than 20 different guys?
 Caseyjones4
Msg: 191
Posted: 9/13/2013 10:05:59 PM

I think you're right. The main reason why I pointed out that I don't particularly want to sleep with a "man whore" either, is because I think a lot of men have that ole "double standard" way of thinking that it's okay......

Throughout evolution the male has always been the aggressor. Women had to be selective or risk the chance of poor survival for your offspring.

How this is relevant in modern society is a women's number can tell a guy a lot about her self worth. Is she selective enough to only pick the cream of the crop? Is she willing to compete for the alpha male? Or does she just submit to any and every sad sap on the market?

Perhaps it is a double standard, but understand that men and women are not created equal. Women have evolved with very good reason to be selective . Men never had a reason to be selective.
 drinkthesunwithmyface
Msg: 195
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 3:30:01 AM
^ Nah. C'mon, man. Where do some of these "logical arguments" come from anyway? A man having had a few women is not necessarily because he has certain good qualities, and the experience doesn't often go hand in hand with being good at anything, while not having experience doesn't often go hand in hand with not being good.
 dwayne88
Msg: 196
view profile
History
Posted: 9/14/2013 6:15:46 AM
A man who is able to arouse a woman and stimulate her to orgasm signals that he does have past experience of other females. This tells her that other women have also found him attractive enough to allow intercourse. The more effectively he stimulates her the more experienced he should be — and hence the greater the number of women who have so far found him to be attractive.

Seriously?

I would really hope this is a joke and not serious. Otherwise, guys like myself that have no experience will be screwed when it comes to a chance with most women.
 ladymercury
Msg: 198
Posted: 9/14/2013 7:30:20 AM
Truth is, at the end of the day, the number does not matter. It can't matter. I walk around my workplace all day, a rare single person. The last thing I need to feel is slutty because I'm not partnered. Even if I've curbed my opportunistic number of sexual partners for the sake of the slut-shamers.

You see, some women like me, are still chasing the proverbial seed. So much so that our sexuality IS about that possibility. Sexual act or not. That is the beauty of it, and sharing that potentiality when you do IS a wonderful feeling.

Hell, I'm still searching for the dream and none the wiser.
 Caseyjones4
Msg: 199
Posted: 9/14/2013 9:35:25 AM

I completely understand and respect this however, since we are no longer living in the stone age, It wouldn't appeal to me to be with a man that used "evolutionary reasonings" as an excuse to f*ck any and every female that will let him.

It is not reasoning it is simple biology. The past 300 years of civilization (and that is a high ball figure) won't undo the thousands of years that preceded it.

The hormonal make up of a man is such that the urge is overwhelming to have sex with any and every female (honestly most of us don't even like being this way). Granted in the institute of a relationship the expectation that it is controlled isn't unreasonable (in my opinion but some would debate this). I would understand a women using a guys number to gauge his tendency toward infidelity; however, if a guy has been single, please understand his tendency of being a "man whore" is just biology. Women were not created with the same hormonal structure where any of this is an issue for them. In fact, it is quit the opposite where women require a strong emotional component, which brings us back to how promiscuity is a sign of low self worth.
Show ALL Forums  > Sex and Dating  >