Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Men's centres and male disadvantage.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Beauregard63
Msg: 20
Men's centres and male disadvantage. Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
The vast majority of men will never die from their cancer so it makes sense that there be more research into breast cancer as it causes more fatalaties over all

I'm not sure that if we include all types of cancer that women are dying younger from cancer than men are. Myself I have had 5 friends and acquaintainces die of cancer in the last 10 yrs who were all younger than me only one of them was a woman . Having your prostrate removed could be argued as being a little more inconvienient than having a breast or a lump removed so despite the significant difference in the speed at which breast cancer develops and the widespread nature of this disease I do not believe that prostrate cancer research or screening needs to be taken any more lightly than it is today

In British Columbia prostrate screening is something you have to pay for as it is considered an "unnessary" medical procedure where as breast cancer screening ( mostly mammograms ) are frequently done free under the health care system with efficacy that could be argued to being less than that self exams with a little training.
 psytle
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Men's centres and male disadvantage.
Posted: 10/2/2013 1:11:37 PM

I think that you will also find that the reason that there is more percieved public funding

With all due respect, my statement was not one of "perceived" differences in treatment of women versus men, like the majority of issues that men's rights activists bring up.

My statement was based on solid evidence: in 2009, breast cancer research received just under 900 million in public funding in the United States. Prostate cancer research? Just under 400 million. And there were roughly 200 million new cases of breast cancer and 200 million new cases of prostate cancer in 2010.

Google defines "disparity" as "a great difference". I think a difference of more than 2 to 1 certainly qualifies as "great", and therefore a "disparity".
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 22
Posted: 10/2/2013 1:48:02 PM
Years ago , what turned out to be a very wise old man told me this. If before marriage you put a marble in a jar every time you have sex with your wife to be, and take one out every time after you're married, you'll never empty the jar. LOL.
 junipermoon
Msg: 23
view profile
History
Posted: 10/4/2013 6:04:01 PM
year ago, i knew an elderly gay gentleman who regularly got the living hell beaten out of him by his younger 'lover.'
he went to the women's resource centre, as he couldn't think of anywhere else to go for help. they turned him away.

i found this appalling. he had the identical issues that battered women do. so, why wouldn't they help him?

it seems hypocritical and perfectly wretched.

yes. men need centres just like women and children. they may not need them as often, but they would serve a purpose.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 24
Posted: 10/7/2013 11:50:08 AM
. What could a "mens centre" do for him that the hospital and the police not do for him?

Give him emotional support and counselling. It may sound odd to you but men require this as well as women. In my area there is plenty of free support availiable for women with any form of cancer but none for men. Personally I can't see why these groups could not cater to both sexes rather than just for women.

Rather than set up separate facilities/ functions for men and women maybe the existing ones should just not be exclusive for women. It's seems odd to me that we are in an age where it is ok to have clubs, support groups, sports teams etc etc that are exclusive to women but women will cry foul if any organization prohibits women from attending their event/function based on their sex.

Support groups targeted for maladies of specific men's or lady parts may be the exception to this but do we really need support groups that are specific to say prostrate cancer or ovarian cancer rather than for cancer in general?
 NorrthStarr
Msg: 25
Posted: 10/8/2013 5:51:56 PM

I think it's safe to say that sex without much commitment appeals more to men

I don't think it's safe to say this at all. Bear in mind society still judges promiscuous women much more harshly than it does promiscuous men. In this at least men are not yet disadvantaged.

A lot of single women feel that feminists have made dating and finding a serious boyfriend or husband harder for them.

A lot of single women feel that feminists have made it a lot easier for them to be taken seriously as a human beings without being required to find a serious boyfriend or husband to hitch her identity to.
 statemachine500
Msg: 26
Posted: 10/9/2013 6:55:25 PM

Despite the numbers of new breast cancer cases being similar to the number of new prostate cancer cases, prostate cancer research gets roughly half of the United States public funding that breast cancer research does.

I recently mentioned an article in my local paper about cancer,it listed 12 cancers....all that were exclusive to women.No mention of prostate cancer.Some wise guy(unknown person) suggested a support group.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 27
Posted: 10/9/2013 7:27:48 PM
The American Cancer Society estimates the number of deaths from cancer in the US to be 307,000 for men and 273,000 for women so why do people think that women are dying from cancer at a much higher rate than men or that they need more funding and support.

Of these deaths approximately 40,000 will be due to breast cancer in women and 30,000 will be from prostrate cancer in men but overall men still die at a higher rate than women do from cancer if we consider all forms.
 TyraWadman
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/10/2013 8:19:15 PM
To think, all of this could have been avoided if people stopped labeling genders as roles. :v

Everyone makes their own choices in life (mistakes). Everyone has their own experiences (Pain and general mishaps). There will always be those who need help for things and we shouldn't deny it from someone just because they have a rack or some junk down below. Making separate buildings isn't going to help bring things together and make it equal.
 statemachine500
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/11/2013 6:05:44 PM

There will always be those who need help for things and we shouldn't deny it from someone just because they have a rack or some junk down below. Making separate buildings isn't going to help bring things together and make it equal.

A few years back in Van I remember a story of a gay man that was raped,he phoned the rape center and they responded with something like"who cares".A transgendered person was involved with some woman's group in Van recently and there were objections.
 aanarchist
Msg: 30
Posted: 11/12/2013 5:44:54 PM
ndt i humbly invite you to stop validating the bullshit of men in the lowest common denominator by talking about the stupid crap they say and do. if you are honestly saying that places that help men who got dealt a bad hand shouldn't exist, then you lack the most basic of human empathy which makes you undeserving of a loving partner, explaining your lack of success and subsequent bitterness. stop bullshitting and grow up a little. both genders deserve to have places that help them in their times of need, period.

also i feel that special centers for men are kinda needed because if a man reports rape or domestic abuse or anything of that sort then pretty much every time he will get laughed at and ignored. the abuse of males is heavily under reported, in fact it's actually encouraged, celebrated, and even parodied in the mass media.
 NDTfan
Msg: 31
Posted: 11/13/2013 6:25:00 PM
I guess someone got an itch up his arse about a recent posting. If you don't want women talking about the stupid crap men say and do then perhaps men should stop doing those things instead of insisting that we pretend and act like they didn't. As I pointed out in the opening post, plenty of places exist for men to get help if they ask for it, and male-only centres are redundant by definition.

I'm not easily shamed, and I'd like to point out that anything you've said about my dating status or lack of success is purely imagination on your part and not remotely rooted in reality.

So now that we've got that out of the way, and you're aware that I couldn't care less about your opinion of me, why not tell us why these centers ARE needed, instead of " kinda needed"?
 junipermoon
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 11/14/2013 5:35:19 AM

Perhaps he should have gone to the hospital first, then to the police. What could a "mens centre" do for him that the hospital and the police not do for him? Your are right when you say that they woujldn't be needed as often as womens centres. That then brings up the problem that the only places where they could reasonably placed would be in larger cities, as in small towns, there just may not be the necessity.

yeah. like battered women should 'go to the hospital first, then to the police.'

and our area is hardly cosmopolitan. it's a college town, where we have all kinds of weird stuff going on sept-may.

and the women's centre has since started allowing men to enter with their issues. so, even they realized the necessity for it.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2013 1:37:17 PM

According to a men's rights group in Vancouver (the same group behind the "Don't be that girl" campaign)

Well, expecting an answer, much less a fair fight, from those guys might be your first mistake.

and that there are programs for every single subset of the male population that is at a disadvantage (race, sexuality, addiction, etc) so spending millions on something like that isn't justifiable because it's redundant.

Those programs (race, sexuality, addiction) also exist for women so I'm not sure why their existence for men precludes spending on men's centers. Redundancy is redundancy is redundancy.

Does anyone here support these centers? Can any of you tell me why they're necessary?

Honestly no. I had to read Iron John once and that's definitely enough. But, I'm always up for a challenge. It depends what you mean by men's center and at what level of society they would exist. We do need to at least be aware of how we teach boys differently than girls and the effect that has all the way up to university. We drug boys under 12 three times as much as girls which makes me wonder if it's not so much a physiological issue as it is a teaching issue. Whether it's a subconscious male disadvantage or an out right abuse of pedagogy, it should be addressed and an institute that focuses on men's issues might be the way to bring it some attention. I also can think of a few campuses that would benefit from a men's center that at least makes a suggestion that shagging drunk chicks at your frat house is a bad idea. Different notions of masculinity typically are ignored throughout all levels of education and if there isn't at least one outlet promoting something other than that norm it won't ever be addressed. And no, men's centers shouldn't exist just as a confirmation of feminist battle cries. Feminism in general often refers to masculinity as something bad. To quote a popular web site...."masculinity denigrates women by making them into sexual objects, is homophobic, encourages violence, and discourages emotional expression". It may be time to reverse some of the full speed ahead feminism that actually does marginalize men and does create some disadvantage. A men's center offering something other than the norm is a good idea.
 elmuchoburrito
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/1/2013 6:54:35 PM
All animals are equal - some more equal than others.

I would like to see the gov't out of all gender meddling - including scholarships and EEOC trype.
but that is a fantasy world.
carry on.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Men's centres and male disadvantage.