Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Hide Profile / Hide Viewing other Users / Changing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 forum_moderator
Msg: 26
view profile
History
hide profile now has to be paid for?Page 2 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)

As a reminder and an fyi to the newbies, admin had told us moderators to delete and action anyone posting information as to how to get around the block/unblock.

So please just don't.

LiliMarleen
Msg: 27
view profile
History
hide profile now has to be paid for?
Posted: 10/4/2013 5:12:22 AM

Even if you have that you are only here for the forums, you still get messages from the men that don't read profiles.

It's true, even though there's a big ass/big shoulder guy standing right next to me with his arm around me, AND he's also in another one of my pictures, I still get messages from men wanting to "date" me.

However, I don't have a problem doing with them what I've always done with men I wasn't interested in, IGNORE.

[Even if I weren't totally committed to my guy, these men already have at least two strikes against them. They're illiterate and totally disrespectful.]
 Bobby Z man
Msg: 28
Posted: 10/4/2013 9:44:31 AM
PollyGraf,
Just searched your username and you are still hidden.

Halcyon_Skies,
Just did a username search for you too and it also came up blank.

And yes folks, I am logged in on the dating side when I did the searches.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 29
Posted: 10/4/2013 12:00:16 PM
I'm an old user - in both senses of the term - I can't think of a single valid reason to hide a profile, unless that person is only here to play games.
'Only here for the Forums'
Covers just about every eventuality (imo)

My profile is hidden and will remain that way since I am only here for the forums. I also changed my username. For the past several months my picture was private too. I just recently felt save enough to put it back up. The reason? I had a wackadoodle following me around in the forums writing weird things to make people think we were in a relationship. I have never met the man and the only correspondence we had was before I hid my profile. He had written and I told him that I was only here for the forums not dating which was already in my profile.

Yup, there are reasons to Hide a profile.
 Behind-Blue-Eyes_53
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/4/2013 3:01:04 PM
I guess this is PoF's answer when there is a problem in the programing and people keep complaining about it...... Make it a paid feature and most people will stop complaining, because they won't pay for it......
 CoolChick01
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/4/2013 3:42:04 PM
I really don't like that POF is now trying to force you to pay for this option. I've found in the past that the 'hide' feature has allowed me to take a break from getting messages from all the creeps and weirdos. I get so tired of getting messages from guys like this that I need to take a break from it all. I don't think the site is high enough quality to start charging for the features that make it barely tolerable.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 32
Posted: 10/4/2013 5:09:19 PM
If you want to stop all new contacts while continuing with existing ones, use 99 to 99 for the Age Between filter in your Mail Settings. If you want to stop men from making new contact with you, use Female for the Gender filter. You may have to change what you've selected for Seeking in The Basics on Edit Profile to set the Gender filter. Once set, you can change your profile back.

Use Not Single/Not Looking and other options as needed.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/5/2013 3:32:53 PM
Halcyon_Skies,
Just did a username search for you too and it also came up blank.

Yes, I checked and I am now hidden. There must have been a temporary glitch or loophole in the system.
 bottleneckblooz
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/5/2013 5:54:34 PM
This is un effin believeable that they are charging to hide your profile now.
 13thour
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/5/2013 9:30:18 PM
Well, wouldn't it be interesting to know how long it takes POF to replace and multiply the number of GUESTS receiving a free service who decide to walk?

A friend tells you about a grocery store that gives away free food. You go there and sure enough, free food.

You start going there every day, then one day you take your groceries to the bagger and they say everything is free except the milk. You complain a little and your friend says you should be happy because you get so much other stuff for free.

Then one day, they say everything is free except the milk and cookies. You complain a little and your friend says you should be happy because you get other stuff for free.

Then the say, everything is free except the milk, cookies, meat and veggies. You complain a little and your friend says you should be happy because you get , ya know, something for free.

Then a few years later you go to the grocery store and the only thing that is free is the paper bag your shyt gets wrapped in....kinda like everywhere else.

So yea, it may start out one way, but in the end.....you get "only" what you pay for.
 Bearfish13
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/6/2013 2:13:06 AM
I personally disapprove,

Hiding/unhiding a profile is a feature that nobody should paid for, its a personal decision whether or not somebody wants to show/unshow their profile and to go through the trouble of deleting your own profile and re-opening one is more time consuming that simply clicking the "hide" feature, it seems that you guys are making even the basics of this website "paid for" when in fact your motto is "free"
 SoulmateScout
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/6/2013 3:27:24 AM
I'm fairly new to POF… but for different reasons I just want to take a break from online dating. So tonight I tried to hide my profile, and was amazed to be told I have to pay for this! So I guess timing is not on my side with this new change, as I know a friend who only hid her account quite recently. So I'm just going to delete my profile altogether and I don't plan to come back. POF, count that as one you've lost through a really ill-thought out change. I can't imagine I'll be the only one.
 forum_moderator
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2013 4:18:03 AM

I wonder if any PAYING members are going to complain about this?
Just food for thought but I don't think threatening to quit when you're an expense is going to have much of an impact.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then eMail CSR here. Complaints HERE
 activemelaney
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2013 9:48:36 AM
In not an expense but a source of revenue. Advertisers on POF are no different from any those elsewhere. They pay for exposure to a potentially market.

Facebook, google , yahoo, etc. are worth billions because of their user base...not subscription fees. Users are valued.

Re hidden profile or not. I'm sure POF weighs the pros and cons for generating revenue. I think Match has more or less trumped EHarmony. I'm not sure that POF can transition into a paid site and compete with Match. Perhaps POF has decided that treading water is not an option in a fast moving world. Change or sink.

Bear disk...I agree. Hiding is easier than closing. The times I tried to close I got caught in a circle of illogical steps leading back to each other. It is easier just to remove photos, edit the profile and stay for the forum.
 Anonymiss5000
Msg: 40
Posted: 10/6/2013 1:09:40 PM

I can't think of a single valid reason to hide a profile, unless that person is only here to play games.
'Only here for the Forums'
Covers just about every eventuality (imo)

How about these logical reasons - which were why I occasionally set my profile to hidden, (before all the complaints started coming in that users were unable to unhide, so I stopped doing so, not wanting to risk that happening):

I was traveling, or entering a particularly busy period when I knew that my online access and/or social time would be limited. I was actually busy with other things besides fishing

Back in the days of "intimate encounters" being a valid option, I received dozens of messages every day, and I didn't want to return after a week to a completely flooded inbox. Sometimes people simply get busy, and since messages are only retained for 21 days, sometimes it just makes sense/offers a bit more control since a member wouldn't want to miss or "lose" a message from a new contact if one just won't get a chance to see and respond to it!

I'd still consider myself active and available - why should someone think I was ignoring them or not interested if I was simply temporarily docked on the shore?
 Lexti
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/6/2013 1:34:34 PM
It's interesting how many new faces have suddenly popped up in my area now that the feature is gone.

**Edited - value of members simply noted to paying status.

SWEET_MAVERICK
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/7/2013 7:57:14 AM
Free is free! IMo, if u want to hide but cannot, just take ur picture off & put something in ur profile, like ""taking a break" & just delete any email u get. Easy Peasy.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/7/2013 2:48:09 PM
Free is free! IMo, if u want to hide but cannot, just take ur picture off & put something in ur profile, like "taking a break" & just delete any email u get. Easy Peasy.

Additionally, use the Not Single/Not Looking marital status and set the age filter to 99 to 99 in Mail Settings; the latter should stop all new first contact messages. Also, stop logging into pof.com; that way your profile will move farther back in the search results with the online activity indicating a progressively inactive profile.
 Anonymiss5000
Msg: 44
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:33:57 PM

I can see how getting dozens of messages every day offering to be your partner in an "intimate encounter" and missing one or two because you're off the site for longer than 21 days (which means you have about 500 messages backed up) would be quite an inconvenience.

Has it occurred to you that you may be exactly the type of user that pof has no desire to which to cater?

Has it occurred to YOU that you are bring unfairly and rudely judgmental?

When I first joined the site, I was excited by the fact that it had options for FRIENDS and HANG OUT as well as dating. However, a profile that I would create for male and female friends to hang out with would be very different than one I would have for dating. Lo and behold, we are not allowed to have more than one profile.

Creating an intimate encounters profile was an expression of how I was feeling at the time, having just come through a long illness which left me feeling less than human, and I knew that I was not yet emotionally ready to start, or even seek, a romantic relationship. I was being completely honest - I knew I needed to learn how to just have a bit of fun again. I never expected that so many quality men would actually read between the lines, and that the profile would end up being a conversation starter for several real, lasting FRIENDSHIPS.

It also made it much easier than the typical dating profile to weed out the less undesirables, the ones who MADE ASSUMPTIONS

Tell me, just why is it that you would assert that I am the "type of user" that POF does not wish to cater to?
 forum_moderator
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2013 4:54:36 PM

the bitter, cynical & twisted amongst us may suppose that as advertising revenue dris up alternative sources of income needs to be found.

But that's just fo the bitter, cynical & twisted amonst us

There's a few who get it!

HOW DARE ... an entreprenuer try to make up loss revenue in an over crowded market and so-so economy by charging for certain services that in the grand scheme of things, don't amount to a hill of beans or that can easily be worked around in 10 minutes or less!

Heaven forbid the mission has to let the dishwasher go and replaces the fine china with paper plates!

the other non paid
Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then email CSR@POF here || Site Rules Here || Posting Clarifications Here || TOS ||
 Glee1001
Msg: 46
Posted: 10/7/2013 9:16:04 PM
This is a terrible idea for so many reasons.

I just want to turn mine off for a little while; I don't want to receive any new messages since my life is busy. Without the ability to turn off my profile, I will be deleting mine soon. This is a big bummer since I will be losing the contacts that I have and I do not want to go through that "new member" stage of creating a new profile and being contact because I'm a "new" member.

If this feature is removed in the next couple of days, great. I hope a moderator that is monitoring this thread notifies members like me about it before we leave.
 Mark_It_Up
Msg: 47
Posted: 10/8/2013 3:30:48 AM
I don't think threatening to quit when you're an expense is going to have much of an impact.

I thought the main philosophy of this site is that there are "plenty of fish". The users here are not an "expense" and it is insulting to call us that, we are the primary asset the site has to offer to paying subscribers. Free users are the life-blood of this site. Without the free users, who would pay for a subscription? Free users quitting the site reduces the pool of available people, and devalues the site for paying customers.

It's like a zoo owner saying who cares if all the animals die, they are an expense, it's the humans that pay for the entrance tickets. Well if you don't have animals who is going to visit the zoo hmm?
 HawkingJr
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 10/8/2013 6:08:27 AM
"Here's the problem ...
The majority of users are now on mobile apps."

That is certainly THE problem, but not in the way you think. It's an absurd notion that you can't generate revenue through ads on mobile devices -- at my media entity, we have a sales staff dedicated to just that: selling advertising on our mobile platform, and we have 6 to 7 figures worth of users, not 8 to 9 like POF. I'm not sure what POF's problem is that they think they have to do "scammy stuff" to sell mobile ads.

But then again, the reason for all the calamity over the past 6 months is because POF is either too lazy, too cheap or too stupefied to make a good mobile app for its site, so its inability to sell advertising on it shouldn't come as any great shock. Almost every time a puzzling draconian change has occurred this year, eventually we learn either it was because the mobile app is missing a related main site feature that would have prevented the problem POF was trying to "fix" with the change (such as the inability to choose mail settings on the mobile app leading to a universal +/-14 age restriction) or because POF is losing revenue due to mobile's surging popularity and the site's inability to sell ad space on it so previously free features are forced to become pay (like this hide profile thing).

POF has really long been too large for one guy to attempt to program and otherwise run himself. When he was implementing all the craziness back in May, someone called him out on the feature-starved mobile app, and he basically said changing the mobile app was not going to happen, without any explanation. Again, I don't know if it's laziness, cheapness or lack of knowledge, but all three of those things can be rectified with the right amount of cash, so in the end it comes down to the middle one... or perhaps, just plain stubbornness.

Mark-It-Up: I would save your breath (fingers). No amount of logic will ever satisfy POF apologists. Markus has cultivated quite a cult-of-personality around these parts.
 Southtc
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:16:23 AM
I don't know why Marcus doesn't just pull the trigger and make POF a paid service instead of doing it a feature at a time. That's where it's headed anyway.
 Why_oh_why
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/10/2013 9:39:04 AM
Ironic that the day I posted a comment about hiding profiles, my account got deleted again? The moment POF gets wind of polyamorous people they kill your account. Maybe a coincidence, but this is the 3rd account that's been randomly deleted. Another 'feature' of POF I suppose. Protect the other adults on here from open and honest individuals. Don't talk about sex, dating amounst openly married people, or about hiding/unhiding your profiles. Much better to pretend you are single, lie, and not openly discuss sex and relationships...Is this a conservative/republican run site or something??

POF is no longer set up to allow "sexual encounter type" profiles.
If this site isn't set up to meet your needs, so be it.
There are plenty of other sites out there for you.

Insulting the site owner isn't going to help your case, only further reinforce why he is making his decision.

Any site related question not answered via the HELP link, then eMail CSR here. Complaints HERE
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  > Hide Profile / Hide Viewing other Users / Changing Username Now Paid Features (other threads will be deleted)