Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 littlenicky457
Msg: 81
How do you define overweight?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Some people can look great when overweight! And its all about confidence.

120 lbs??? Hahahahahah. I weigh 135
 ~LoriMac~
Msg: 93
How do you define overweight?
Posted: 4/10/2006 9:16:08 AM
chesty chubbies?? nice...sorry but i have to seriously disagree...when i was 15 i was 115lbs with DD boobs...you could see my hipbones.. i could even hang umbrellas off them...genetics were very good to me..I cant imagine ever letting my daughter think that having a normal female body makes her chubby
 sammysalt1
Msg: 98
Posted: 4/11/2006 7:38:54 AM
Rolls, makes doing something harder.
 sayonara7
Msg: 106
Posted: 5/16/2006 7:44:37 PM
I am 5 feet and 103 pounds at the moment.I usually fluctuate between 100 to 105 pounds.More than 105 pounds at my height is overweight for me.Therefore I don't let myself cross that margin.
 mdricken
Msg: 110
Posted: 7/19/2006 2:21:38 PM
If they weigh more than me
 afterimage
Msg: 114
Posted: 1/8/2007 9:18:25 PM
If you've got more than a little fat you can pinch then in my opinion you're overweight. Way to many people sit on their asses and let themselves go to hell. They do little, or no, exercize and then wonder why they're carrying a bunch of excess weight.
 LittleBandit
Msg: 116
Posted: 1/18/2007 7:51:43 PM
If you pull her panties down and her ****'s still in em
 DonInVictoria
Msg: 119
Posted: 1/19/2007 1:20:33 PM
OP " I'll admit i'm not as small as i used to be but i'm pretty average "

Very crudely put, your BMI's higher than the 'healthy range'. (there are exceptions, notably in those who've unusually well developed muscles, as BMI is merely a height/weight ratio, and lots of muscle mass will render their BMI useless -- it'll say they're fat when they're merely very athletic).

Better, is to get a 'body composition test' (YM/YWCA and many fitness centers do this). A trained person uses pinch calipers to measure 'skin folds' at many (11?) points of your body (you can also buy pinch calipers and train yourself to use them), compares your skin fold measurements to standard charts, and calculates up with a 'lean body mass'.

Add back a 'healthy' ratio of fat, and you've a target weight. If you weigh much more than that target weight, then by definition, you're "overweight".

I personally define someone as being overweight, when it's having an appreciable affect on their current health / life expectancy (which is likely, just outside the BMI limits for 'healthy', with averagely developed people).
 dirtbag2
Msg: 122
view profile
History
Posted: 4/16/2007 1:43:59 AM
hi, I'm new here, and have read this thread with interest.

When I signed up I was disappoimted that "curvy" or voluptous" weren't listed as options in defining body style. Tjere is so much pressure on women to be thin like the supermodels and it is causing all kinds of health issues and self-esteem problems.

Most people by now have forgotten that Marilyn Munroe, who is widely accepted as being one of the most beautiful women to ever have lived, wore a SIZE 14!!! I'm pretty sure that nobody here would say that she was fat.

Overweight is a hard thing to define because of all of the variables involved. The BMI Index does not take certain factors under consideration such as large boobs in women, a larger bone structure/frame, and muscle mass.

At 5'3 and 138 pounds, I'm borderline on the BMI Index between "healthy" and "obese" at 24.7 . The BMI Index doesn't factor in the DD/DDD boobs that I pack around on my chest day in/day out. The 'twins' probably weigh a good fifteen pounds between them. ROFLMAO. I'm also fairly muscular in my arms and legs and that isn't taken into conderation either,

I believe more in whay my GP tells me and what my jeans tell me to decide if I'm overweight or not. According to my GP, my ideal weight is between 120 and 145 lbs. I've been at 120 lbs and recently.. and loved the way I looked in my size 4 pants. However, it's just not a healthy weight for me and I can't sustain it. I'm quite happy with my current weight and size eight pants.

There's nothing "average" about me or my body shape.. why am I being forced to categorize myself that way?? LOL Some also refer to me as a BBW-- however, I've always considered that to mean very tall/big boned, and very heavy women. ROFLMAO At least I've got two out of three... Beautiful and Woman!!

I've earned every one of my curves, and just can't accept "average" as a definition. I am voluptous. I am curvy. But definitely not average. Call me fat if that is your pereception, but I don't give a damn what you think aobut it anyways. Yhe only two people whose opinion counts are mine, and my doctor's.

LOL All that being said, I wouldn't cry if I lost ten pounds LOL

peace out
M
 yna6
Msg: 125
Posted: 4/16/2007 1:38:38 PM
Overweight? Can you walk down a wide aisle in a store and knock stuff off both shelves? Then I'd say you may have a problem.
 1stiamdaddy
Msg: 127
Posted: 6/9/2007 2:08:46 PM
I am 5'10" and weigh 185 pounds. Now, go look at my pictures.

Well, according to the CDC, I am nearly obese. At 187 pounds, they will consider me obese. With a 32 inch waist. Makes you wonder if 75% of Americans are really overweight, or if the CDC needs to get a better definition of overweight.
 Miss G
Msg: 130
Posted: 6/10/2007 9:42:27 AM
1.) Your derierre is wider than your television or
2) When I hug you, my arms can't go most of the way around you.
3.) Sagging man breasts. (eww.)
4.) If you eat frosting right out of the container, without cake, probably a good sign you're overweight.

If you are overweight, have skinny friends and order what they order, do what they do. You don't have to like it or gripe about it. Don't eat foods you wouldn't feed a heart patient. If you are quite sure you're very overweight, remember you just have this one life to live, so love yourself and lose weight when you're ready, but don't take too long to get ready. A person should be remembered by what's inside, and everybody loves somebody. If you have pets, they are more likely to be overweight, as well. Try the Purina website to find out how much your little bundle of joy should weigh.
 Miss G
Msg: 132
Posted: 6/13/2007 10:19:25 PM
well, my as my nephew once said, "Grandmas are supposed to be fat!"
 NatGoat
Msg: 134
Posted: 10/7/2007 10:31:57 AM
...When your Waist measurement exceeds tour Hip measurement . . !
I don't mind 'a F E W extra Pounds' . . if it's a _FEW_ . .
Most 'Super-Model' types can have any man that they want . .
{..and there's Very Few _Here_ anyway . . }
What bugs Me, is the definition of 'a Few...' has been stretched to extremes, in many cases . .
If a Lady is 5' 5" tall . . 'a Few' would put her at about 140 lbs. .. ..
...NOT 225...
 dirtbag2
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 11/1/2007 11:59:05 PM
I have to disagree with NatGoat's assessment of a 5'5" lady having " a few" extra pounds at a weight of 140.

For any woman, the "ideal weight" depends on bone structure and body shape/type. The "ideal weight" is not one figure but a range, usually of about 25 pounds.

At 5' 3- 1/2" tall and having a "petite' frame ( LOL in spite of my big boobs), my healthy weight is anywhere from 115-140 lbs according to my GP . In my case, I'd define " a few extra pounds" as a weight of 140-155. I weighed 117 lbs two years ago and thought I looked great, but it was unsustainable and to maintain that weight I practically starved myself. I try to keep my weight around 125-130 lbs.

IMHO, NatGoat's assessment is based on the societal brainwashing that dictates that women should be stick-thin to be healthy. At the Telus World of Science there's a display that states the AVERAGE North American female is 5'4 and 145 lbs. Using that statistic, his 5'5", 140 lb female would actually be UNDERWEIGHT compared to the norm.

I think a lot of us have forgotten that the women who have been considered to be among the sexiest who ever lived-- Marilyn Monroe (wore a size 14), Jane Russell, Mae West, Rita Hayworth, Raquel Welch, Sophia Loren, Ann-Margret---- all of these women are/were full figured and certainly not stick-thin.
 jsphn11
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/27/2009 6:33:46 PM
Common boys and girls, think of positives in women with some extra weight...
In general, they have less wrinkles and softer facial expressions. Their bodies are more feminine and cozy, and when you hug them you feel like you are home, you are loved and cared for....
 maxxoccupancy
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 2:49:14 PM
I've never worried so much about the weight, but the health of someone. There are real plus sized women out there who take care of themselves. There are plenty of thin women who starve themselves, are unhealthy, and have no energy. Likewise, there are women who have a few extra pounds, but they take care of themselves pretty well. They have nice skin and a bright personality to match.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2009 3:29:25 PM
When I have to lean forward to see my feet, I need to lose some pounds.
 LittleBandit
Msg: 143
Posted: 2/9/2009 2:34:42 PM
You dont say anything
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 145
Posted: 2/9/2009 4:05:45 PM
~OT~ I used to think it was an obvious appearance of being non-height/weight proportionate and/or obvious lack of exercise topped off by excess fat. After yesterday, I think I have to rethink that (I was reading a book that gave me a different ideology.) It defines "normal weight obesity" ~ now I have a completely different outlook. I now realize that it's not about just how much fat someone carries around, it's also how much muscle mass is missing. After age 30, we can lose 30% of our muscle mass if we don't stay in reasonably good shape. Overweight to me (now) means: loss of muscle mass, excess fat and an overall out-of-shape appearance. JMO
 theskinny
Msg: 147
Posted: 2/9/2009 5:34:28 PM
I define it the same way I classify it in clinic or on the wards. We use the BMI classifications. >25 is overweight and >30 is obese. There are additional classifications for obesity, but this thread is about being overweight, not obese. Many of the threads I find on POF on weight and obesity don't help sort things out and often indulge denial. I really don't find the jokes and all that funny nor do I find pleasure in seeing comments expressing pride in being fat, but then again, part of my job is to take the obesity problem seriously. Dating sites do not have the same set standard, so we end up having 7 page threads trying to figure out why somebody selected average when they were clearly overweight. The flaw in the BMI calculation related to working out and body fat percentage is simply not enough to blow the standard out of the water either. If you are the exception, the patient note I write will include that information. Take your weight seriously and do what you can to live a healthy life. If you are honest and happy with yourself and have tried your best to lose weight, that's that. If you haven't...well, questions still remain don't they? How you look is a completely different question.
 PatriciaUSA
Msg: 150
Posted: 6/14/2009 4:38:14 PM
jsphn11---you GO GIRL!
 chameleonf
Msg: 154
Posted: 6/15/2009 10:18:40 AM

When I run downstairs and my body keeps jiggling when I've reached the landing.
 Beaugrand®™©
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 6/15/2009 8:04:14 PM
"Overweight" is someone who appears to be much fatter than me.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >