Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 101
Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetiePage 5 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Vlad...

you make me want to learn more about my scottish heritage. Dang, it sounds downright beautiful over there.
 Maleman999
Msg: 102
Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie
Posted: 11/4/2013 7:21:33 AM

Vlad...you make me want to learn more about my scottish heritage. Dang, it sounds downright beautiful over there.

I thought Vlad was writing in Orkan-Mork's (Robin Williams) inter-galactic language.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/4/2013 7:36:49 AM

I thought Vlad was writing in Orkan-Mork's (Robin Williams) inter-galactic language.

nano nano :)

(maybe I have scots translater or maybe I have vlad translator, but it DID sound gorgeous.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 11/4/2013 9:55:05 AM
And so the great hen debate rolls on.
Now i would imagine most on here couldnt
give a donald duck about how we address lassies
in scotland.
But this shall be the last from me and my use
of fowl expressions.
There is one huge massive point you are missing
regarding this use of the word hen.
In scotland we speak SCOTS english. We have our
own dictionary. The dictionary of the scots language.
http://www.dsl.ac.uk/dsl/

And from collins concise dictionary.
Definitions
noun
(Scottish, dialect) a term of address (often affectionate), used to women and girls
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/hen

So when the poster was called hen the other day it was in fact
just someone being nice.

And poor kate getting called a hen.
t's not often that royals and commoners alight on a cultural trend at the same time,
but in the case of the hen do, that could be the case
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12698361

Just to show we have a seperate identity although we
are intertwined with the rest of the uk
http://www.rampantscotland.com/features.htm

And finally for anyone who does not believe we have
our own way of talking i offer this.
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix%3AGlossary_of_Scottish_slang_and_jargon

It's a braw, bricht, moonlicht nicht the nicht (take my word for it)

Vvvvvvv
Sent you a pm mate
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 105
Posted: 11/4/2013 10:46:29 AM
Vlad

And so the great hen debate rolls on.

Haha - I hear a why-did-the-chicken-cross-the-road joke in there.

Edit: That Scottish glossary is cool communication beans - thx Vlad. Gimme the rest of this thread, I'm off for a Turkish!
 HappyMeal4me
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/9/2013 11:56:59 PM
I hate it too lol..I much prefer someone call me by name. I think they forget my name otherwise and its a wicked turnoff.
 forumfella
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/10/2013 8:11:57 AM
^^^^ I agree happy meal , or can I just call you Golden crispy nuggets covered in honey sauce??!? :))
 justwondering111
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/10/2013 1:02:31 PM
I think it depends on the endearment, as well as where you are from. "Sweetie" is used in the south almost as much as ma'am. Personally, I tend to feel the term babe is for people you are evolved with.
 flycoop44
Msg: 109
view profile
History
Posted: 11/10/2013 1:54:45 PM
I hate it and can't stand it. My ex used to do it. She used to call me, Honey. I would rather be called by my name, because that is my name.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 110
Posted: 12/7/2013 8:21:08 AM

(HS) I don't mind most of those terms, however, I don't like to be referred to as "Cupcake". That term is almost always meant to be derogatory---and is usually uttered by some jealous shrew, and not a man.

One day not too long ago, my son and I were in the car with my mother, when he started bragging about how he can bench-press more than me (he outweighs me by at least 30 lbs., he's about 2 inches taller than me, and he's 20 to my more-than-20... but enough quibbling...). So anyway, he says, "That's why I'm a BeefCake, and you're a BeefCupCake." I guess he's just getting me back for the tinfoil bunny turds remark...
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 111
Posted: 12/7/2013 9:00:34 AM

One day not too long ago, my son and I were in the car with my mother, when he started bragging about how he can bench-press more than me (he outweighs me by at least 30 lbs., he's about 2 inches taller than me, and he's 20 to my more-than-20... but enough quibbling...). So anyway, he says, "That's why I'm a BeefCake, and you're a BeefCupCake." I guess he's just getting me back for the tinfoil bunny turds remark...

LOL
 forumfella
Msg: 112
Posted: 12/7/2013 10:09:23 AM
I agree ^^^
I was just over in the Michigan area, all the truckstop workers are constantly calling ya Hun or sweetie, makes ya smile considering other possible names they could call ya...lol
 sun_and_cinnamon
Msg: 113
Posted: 12/7/2013 4:48:11 PM
For me, I don't mind it much but find it only really appropriate if exclusively dating etc....rubs me the wrong way other wise
 FSU9144
Msg: 114
Posted: 12/7/2013 7:41:08 PM
I don't have if my date calls me "sweetie, baby or honey" on a date.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 12/7/2013 9:27:20 PM
Meh...I'm lukewarm on it. Depends on the situation. Sometimes I do think it's a term of endearment. Sometimes I think it's just habit. Sometimes I think it's cause they can't keep all the names straight and do it just to be on the safe side.

But I worked in a grocery store where my name was evidently "hey", sooo.....
 FSU9144
Msg: 116
Posted: 12/8/2013 7:23:28 AM
I like it when someone calls me honey or baby on a date.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2013 8:51:13 AM
Well some people have right awkward names and it could be a tad longwinded to
address them by.

I mean take the queen as an example. So she is struggling away with a heavy parcel
and trying to control the corgis and a bit chicken for her tea has just fell out her
shopping bag. So you could say 'you wantin a hand hen?' Or 'here madge ill grab
that you get the corgis' but if she got offended like some on here would and insisted
on being addressed proper like it would be

'Can a gie yi a hand wi that Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of
Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of her other Realms and Territories Queen,
Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith.'?

Tough choice that is like.

Messages this short etc, so heres a joke for yous (and its your own fault for the messages this short thing)

DOG FOR SALE
A man sees a sign outside a house -'Talking Dog For Sale.' He rings the bell, the owner appears and tells him the dog can be viewed in the back garden.

The man sees a very nice looking Labrador Retriever sitting there.

"Do you really talk?" he asks the dog.

"Yes," the Labrador replies.

After recovering from the shock of hearing the dog talk, the man asks, "So, tell me your story."

The Labrador looks up and says, "Well, I discovered that I could talk when I was pretty young. I wanted to help the government, so I was sold to the SAS. In no time at all they had me jetting from country to country, sitting in rooms with spies and world leaders, because no one imagined that a dog would be eavesdropping. I was one of their most valuable spies for eight years".

"But the jetting around really tired me out, and I knew I wasn't getting any younger so I decided to settle down. I signed up for a job at Heathrow Airport to do some undercover security work, wandering near suspicious characters and listening in. I uncovered some incredible dealings and was awarded several medals".

"Then I got married, had a few puppies, and now I've just retired."

The man is amazed. He goes back into the house and asks the owner how much he wants for the dog.

"Ten quid," the owner says.

"£10! But your dog is absolutely amazing! Why on earth are you selling him so cheaply?"

"Because he's a lying **stard, he's never been out of the garden."
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 118
Posted: 12/8/2013 10:37:02 AM
So anyway, he says, "That's why I'm a BeefCake, and you're a BeefCupCake." I guess he's just getting me back for the tinfoil bunny turds remark...

I can see why. We never used the term, "bunny turds" in our household.

My parents always referred to them as "rabbit pellets", which doesn't sound quite so bad to a little kid.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 119
Posted: 12/8/2013 11:03:16 AM

(procolharem) Hmmm...people get weirded out by the most ridiculous things.
"I hate being called sweetie". Seriously?

I know, right? If the choice was between being called "sweetie", or, say, being knifed in the kidneys, sign me up for the pet-name any day...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 120
Posted: 12/8/2013 11:12:38 AM
(HS) I can see why. We never used the term, "bunny turds" in our household.

You missed out.

My parents always referred to them as "rabbit pellets", which doesn't sound quite so bad to a little kid.

FYI: Coca-Cola is *NOT* a good mix for Bailey's Irish Cream...

(but, as Edison once observed: "I haven't failed (to find a suitable filament for the G-D light-bulb I'm trying to invent); I've succeeded in finding 10,000 ways that don't work!")

Arlo, the Thomas A. Edison of the Boozer Set...
 sigungq
Msg: 121
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2013 11:37:58 AM

Feather21 wrote:

Am I the only one who really can't stand to be called all of these names?

Especially from people you barely know.

I think they do this because they don't know who or what their saying to whom!

I need more letters

I need more letters

I need more letters

OK here you go:

A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z........

Now you have all the letters in the alphabet........ Sweetie......... ;-)
 Crystal_Planet
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/8/2013 12:43:50 PM
Arlo, the Thomas A. Edison of the Boozer Set...

Why? Did you steal alcohol from Nikola Tesla?
 smithwhitehawk1
Msg: 123
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2013 2:14:06 PM
I can't believe what I am reading here !
I get that a lot of women don't want to be called honey or sweetie or such, but some don't like ma am either.
Well you know what, MA AM you just need to calm down ! MA AM I just need for you to calm down! Or you can just wear a name tag. Or We will just pick a name. I'm native American so I'm going with Poke A hot ass the Indian princess .
Hawk
 moraima
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2013 2:47:28 PM
"I get that a lot of women don't want to be called honey or sweetie or such, but some don't like ma am either. "

So, let me get this straight? You know that a lot of women don't like it, but you choose to do it anyway. Is that correct?

"Well you know what, MA AM you just need to calm down !"

Calm down after you have admitted to knowing you are being disrespectful?
Imo, it is you who need to calm down.

"Or you can just wear a name tag. "

So it is the responsibility of women to wear name tags at all times, because you will behave in a disrespectful way unless a women wears a name tag to remind you to be respectful.

"I'm native American so I'm going with Poke A hot ass the Indian princess ."

I guess it is difficult to live as a man who is respectful towards other people. Talk about over reacting.
 smithwhitehawk1
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 12/8/2013 3:02:51 PM
Moraima
Ma am is considered a greeting of respect in most of the civilized world, just not your world it seems. If I don't know your name ,and it isn't proper to use it anyway ( unless you have on a name tag on) and we agree Honey or baby is not proper so what the h3ll else do you want to be called if you don't like my choice .(Poke A hot ass) Inquiring minds would like to know.
So ladies if you have a preference I think we all would like to know.
Hawk
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie