Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mdigitalman
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetiePage 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
All what names?
 mdigitalman
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie
Posted: 7/11/2014 3:18:14 PM
Sorry, I didn't see the actual name of the post which is "calling you sweetheart, hun or sweeties". I can see how this could be off putting. These turns suggest two things., 1) a relationship that has enough time invested it allows for such terms, and 2) A simple blowing off of the other person.
 Della D
Msg: 184
Posted: 7/11/2014 4:11:09 PM
Aw, really a pet peeve of mine, being addressed with these belittling terms by a perfect stranger.......

It is not only inappropriate but disrespectful and utterly condescending addressing a woman who's not your s/o, a close friend or family member but in fact a perfect stranger with any of these "terms of endearment".

Receiving, here on POF, an initial email from a guy 15 years younger than myself addressing me as "baby girl" I addressed him in return with "baby boy" to which he actually took offense??????

Guys, grow up not just older!!!!
 Maleman999
Msg: 185
Posted: 7/11/2014 7:16:44 PM
I think the music industry is partly to blame. It seems like in the majority of songs, women are referred to as babe, baby. I never understood the association comparing women to infants, who aren't even toilet trained. Yet I never hear love songs with the lyrics: "Babe, babe, oh baby. It looks like you crapped yourself, so it's time to change your diaper."
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 186
Posted: 7/11/2014 7:25:41 PM
Elderly diner servers old enough to be my great-grandmother call me things like that when I'm there for breakfast.
I find it completely endearing, totally cute in a grandmotherly sort-of-way, and then I leave a ridiculously generous tip.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 187
Posted: 7/11/2014 11:55:19 PM

Am I the only one who really can't stand to be called all of these names?

Especially from people you barely know.

I love to be called sweetheart and sweetie. People I don't really know are the only ones who call me that.
 south_city
Msg: 188
Posted: 7/12/2014 9:51:15 AM
I think all these guys who are determined to use any title with a woman who is a complete stranger to him, particularly “ma’am,” should go right ahead and do it and find out what a big hit it will be.

Otoh, “ma’am” is how lowly subordinates address female military officers, so maybe it’s appropriate after all.

I never call a man “sir” and wouldn’t unless he was a judge or somebody who was gonna leave me money.

There is nothing wrong with calling a stranger ma'am or sir. 3 women that were strangers have called me sir within the past few weeks. One woman said it after I held the door open for her. A second woman said it when she asked me to get her an item on the top shelf. A third woman working at a restaurant said "Good afternoon sir" when I entered the building. These women were simply being polite.
 easterparadehat
Msg: 189
Posted: 7/13/2014 7:07:06 AM
If this is your only problem in life is this issue, your life is pretty easy. So what if someone calls you these names?
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 190
Posted: 7/13/2014 9:45:51 AM
I also just got called baby girl by a guy almost ten years younger, but he had swiped it from Criminal Minds; and when they used it it was two very good friends who were on the same page. He meant no disrespect; it was kind of funny.

Being called doll, on the other hand, I will admit to not being a total fan :)

Wow, I usually write novels; not used to being told my post is TOO short...
 activemelaney
Msg: 191
view profile
History
Posted: 7/13/2014 10:04:28 PM
Call me Honey, sugar, sweetie,sweetheart...etc. love it.

Good grief, I just love spontaneous friendliness. It renews my faith in humans.

My man is French and his family hugs and kisses everyone. So, so, so very warm. wonderful. When we visit his home town it is like being the gal in the kissing booth at the county fair. I get a high off of the closeness of the people.
 epz33
Msg: 192
Posted: 7/16/2014 11:15:52 AM
I guess Californian are not in to tender words. if we can called tender, or out of place?
 TOCL
Msg: 193
Posted: 7/19/2014 1:37:02 PM
Oh my I can't stand it when men call me those names especially after chatting perhaps once or twice

Dear is another one Baby girl........................barf

STOP IT MEN IT'S SUCH A TURN OFF.

If you have taken your chatting off line and are nurturing a relationship fine but not after to only two messages.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 194
Posted: 7/19/2014 1:41:52 PM
What a trip. Being called handsome or honey in a first message has not once offended me.

Please women, do NOT STOP complementing me.

Now sending me a honey do?

Houston, we got a problem.

If I had a preference? Hot Stuff:)
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 195
Posted: 7/19/2014 2:58:36 PM
Last weekend, went to a wine bar and the very young waiter said "Mam" OMG!!!! OUCH!!! MAM! WTF!!!!
I am 46 year old old.....no MAM! "Miss" is ok.....Now, granted it would be weird if the waiter called me sweetheart, hun or sweetie but MAM.....(insert emoticon vomiting) Ok, I am a little sensitive with the "mam" thing.....I'll get over it....

Oh boy.......what was he thinking!? UGH!
 slowitalldown
Msg: 196
Posted: 7/19/2014 3:34:16 PM
I call people by a lot of names! if I'm trying to get a strangers attention, I will a.ways use sir or ma'am.
"Excuse me sir, you dropped your wallet!"

I teach and see 450 elementary students weekly, and I haven't got a prayer of remembering all Of their names all of the time. They are quite used to being called sweetie and sugar. And a bunch of other names. Sometimes I just kind of forget and use it with strangers, no one has ever seemed angry about it.

If I like a guy I might call him handsome, as in, "hey handsome hows it going?" Not right off the bat. I know, cheesie.

If I don't like the term someone used, I'd either let them know if they were going to be important in my life, otherwise I'd ignore it and be glad they showed me right away who they are. Or ignore it because why would it matter what some stranger called me?
 Maleman999
Msg: 197
Posted: 7/19/2014 6:23:57 PM

.Now, granted it would be weird if the waiter called me sweetheart, hun or sweetie but MAM.....(insert emoticon vomiting) Ok, I am a little sensitive with the "mam" thing.....I'll get over it....

Would you get offended if you go to a doctor's appointment and the doctor said it's time for you to get a mammogram?
 cooldog65
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2014 6:22:20 AM
Doesn't bother me is she's hot.

Otherwise...

It would be worse being called azzhole, jackoff, asswipe, d!ckwad...

I hate being addressed as "sir". Makes me feel old.
 Kittyxoxoxo
Msg: 199
view profile
History
Posted: 7/20/2014 2:19:22 PM
I don't like it when strangers (men that i'm not dating) call me that. It's usually said in a condescending way (it's pretty obvious too).
 TheVeryLastManOnEarth
Msg: 200
Posted: 7/24/2014 10:14:27 PM
It amazes me how online dating has made people think that their self worth should be through the stratosphere. While having few if any redeemable qualities at all. Let alone bringing zero skills to the table.
Some op should be happy they're getting any attention at all. One day no boys will call you anything except mam. Life is short and many of you are not getting any younger. Talk about men being****?!?
 sigungq
Msg: 201
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:12:14 AM
Feather21 wrote:

Am I the only one who really can't stand to be called all of these names?

Hey Hun, it's really not so bad to be called these names sweetie..... Just enjoy it sweetheart........
 moraima
Msg: 202
view profile
History
Posted: 7/26/2014 9:05:59 AM
Men don't get called sweetheart often enough and women get called sweetheart multiple times a day - hence the difference in opinions. Big sigh!
 teebanksy
Msg: 203
Posted: 7/26/2014 4:50:43 PM
saaaaaaaaame. I don't like it at all.
 Feather21
Msg: 204
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:26:50 PM
^^^^^

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Baffalobill
Msg: 205
Posted: 7/26/2014 8:46:53 PM
Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie.??? To those who are offended... Get over it.

Who really cares??
Why are you all so sensitive????
Lighting up!!!!

Surely there are a lot worse things in life that can be said or happen to you.

Were I work one of the office ladies said to me "Just put the boxes there ,Thanks darling "With a smile...
I was quite flattered as I am not the best looking guy in town.. Or perhaps I should have taken offensive to that????

What exactly do you want ???
Next you will be complaining about a man opening a car door for you!!!!!

This thread actually reads like that dreaded "Political Correctness" virus that inhabits our society.
 TheVeryLastManOnEarth
Msg: 206
Posted: 7/27/2014 7:37:43 AM
^^^^Haaa! I'm holding out till it becomes offensive for me to pick up the check! Lol
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Calling you Sweetheart or hun or sweetie