Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > profile review please and thanks :D      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 lovinU401
Msg: 26
profile review please and thanks :DPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've tried experimenting with taking new pictures, got some that I'm kinda happy with. Heck, I even had my own mom help me out a little bit. Let me know if there good or not. I'll post like 2-3 up on the profile and add a few on my google drive. Quick question too. I have hi res images of myself but they don't crop properly. Any tips on how I can properly crop my photos without losing image quality? I'm using the back camera on a iPhone 5s with HDR turned on (no flash).
 tatersprout
Msg: 27
profile review please and thanks :D
Posted: 3/19/2014 12:47:01 PM
Hi again Ricardo,

No. I'm sorry, but I really see no difference in your pics yet.
1 and 3 are identical aside from the background.

I know nothing about editing and cropping.

Why haven't you followed any tips on the write up?
 GreenThumbz18
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/19/2014 1:03:16 PM
My experience is mostly with film images,,, but when working in digital, "file size " becomes critical. My $100 smartphone has a 5megapixel camera, and that is TOO BIG for most purposes (it's really a selling feature for the cell), so I set my cell camera to take a 3 meg image(still to big), then I convert it to a jpg., which means that other computers can read my image, and it also shrinks down the image to under one meg. Then I email this pic to myself , from my cell to my pc. Then I take all my cell pics and put them into a file on my computer, so I can do all sorts of things whenever I need to.
OK, so now I have pics on my desktop computer. Now I take one and use a very simple program called "Paint", it has been a Windows accessory for ever. There are tons of image programs available, Paint is very easy to use, and it's on every singe Windows computer. OK, I open Paint, then I drag an image onto the work area, the image opens up full size, and now you can see how huge these files really are.
BTW - Cellphones have built-in image programs these days, and you can do most of these functions right in your cell ! I have tons of old pics and I scan them and put them on my family's Facebook group, I do both methods, but using your computer gives you a bigger image to see, which helps a lot.
The first thing I do is correct the orientation, if it's sideways or upside down. Then I size the image, maybe 50% less in both dimensions, because I want it to be about 4 or 5 inches across when viewed. Then I crop it for clarity and effect. Usually you don't want the main object to be exactly centered, that's an old rule of art, still holds true. After re-sizing and cropping, we end up with a jpg. file about 100KILObytes, not MEGAbytes(!!), and that is very easy to upload to POF, or Facebook, or any other online use.
For reference, my current main photo is 49kb. Smaller files make it easier for all users to see your photos. Now you can buy little tiny digital cameras with about 20 megapixels for about 100 dollars !!
Also here is a good article that might be helpful to you: http://www.wikihow.com/Be-Photogenic
 lovinU401
Msg: 29
Posted: 3/20/2014 1:57:24 PM
Thanks for the cropping tip. What I was doing before was, uploading the pics from my phone to PC. Then I would use the Snipping tool in Windows 7 to crop. That method works somewhat but, I was able to crop pictures better with the Photos app to a smaller size. I would also like to thank you for the photogenic tip too. I'm gonna try to mess around with the photogenic stuff once my face don't look so swollen (Had wisdom teeth pulled recently).
 LovinU401
Msg: 30
Posted: 10/24/2014 2:05:18 PM
Hello everyone :). I've decided to try POF another chance. This time I've tried a few things. I've tried taking more photogenic pictures, looks like it works just well so far; but need opinions. I had to start from scratch for my profile info, didn't want to recycle anything from the past. Only thing I'm probably missing is what type of a woman I'm looking for but I'm happy with the way everything is coming so far. Would love some reviews on the new updates, thanks.
 tennistown
Msg: 31
Posted: 10/24/2014 3:14:37 PM

I had to start from scratch for my profile info

Sometimes I play video games when I have nothing else to do at home. My favorite games come from my childhood; such as action- adventure side-scrollers and platformers like Mario, Sonic or Zelda.

Oh yeah! ^^^^^^ This is the kind of written material
That if you could only bottle it, You could make a mega-fortune!

Nothing gets the twenty five year old ladies, hot to trot,
faster than a Mario and Zelda side scrolled video game marathon.

You totally nailed it this time!

Actually, you can still play.
But you will do better,
if you remove all your
playing video game references.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2014 3:39:35 PM
The very first piece of advice you were given was this

Add more photos not taken by you. A full length casual shot (shirt on) will help.

This still stands
 FullMoonGuy
Msg: 33
Posted: 10/24/2014 3:58:13 PM

I've decided to try POF another chance.

Be warned.
POF hasn't improved any since you were last here.
But hope springs eternal.
Use as much humor as you can. It used to work and may come back in vogue.
Best of luck.
 Forums_only
Msg: 34
Posted: 10/24/2014 8:04:03 PM
5 of your Interests are computer/video-game related. That indicates a bit of excess, no?

You've already been told about getting clearer photos.

The entire last paragraph can go. You have described 'dating', which is already in your stats. Break up the middle paragraph into two smaller thoughts so it will be easier to read.
 LovinU401
Msg: 35
Posted: 10/25/2014 4:33:05 AM
Thanks for the replies. I do appreciate the feedback. There is only one thing, 90% of the women in my area don't even have decent profiles themselves. Like I come on and off this every now and then and I've noticed that too. like I've had luck here in the past but relationships that did not work out or I was not attracted to the person etc. I'm looking mainly to get better quality women. If this don't work than the only alternative there is left. try and pick up girls in real life lol and for that, I'm not shy
 Forums_only
Msg: 36
Posted: 10/25/2014 9:22:54 AM

90% of the women in my area don't even have decent profiles themselves.

That's because they have boobs and are used to getting attention on that fact alone. Sad but true. However, this does leave 10% (according to your math) that DO have decent profiles. Those are the ones you want to write for, and to get their attention over all the thousands of other guys on this site you will need better photos and more engaging content.

If you can 'pick up girls in real life' why not work with that? Or is that just for sex? Don't answer that, just thinking out loud.
 LovinU401
Msg: 37
Posted: 10/25/2014 11:17:54 AM
What I meant by that is by actually trying to get women in real life, none of the online dating. I don't usually try but I have spent a good amount of time interacting with girls in real life to the point that I'm not nervous or shy around women.
 LovinU401
Msg: 38
Posted: 11/13/2014 7:36:51 AM
Hello everyone,

Aside from my pictures, is my profile description any better? I've personally taken the time to jot everything down and come up with ways to attract women. I know that my older profile sucked and I was unhappy with the results. That's a part of being a man, owning up to your mistakes. I've been getting better at describing myself and I wanted a general second opinion on this matter.
 tatersprout
Msg: 39
Posted: 11/13/2014 10:27:02 AM
Welcome back Ricardo.
2 selfies in a dirty mirror won't attract anyone.
Get rid of cuddling as an interest unless it's something you research, do every day like the gym, or discuss with your friends.

Well hello there lovely ladies, My names Ricardo, I'm 25 years old. My life is full of adventures and surprises. I'm a tad quirky but always upbeat. Not a sports fanatic but, very athletic. What drives me to succeed in life is being career oriented, I love working towards success. Currently, I work two jobs; I'm mainly looking peruse a career in the networking field. Right now, I'm not enrolled in any school but will in the near future.
you are speaking to 1, not an audience.
Repeated your age.
how is your life full of adventure and surprises?
sounds like you are trying too hard.

Sometimes it can seem easy to me but difficult for others to understand
Ah, so you are smarter than other people.

I like women with a wicked scene of humor, having a great scene of humor is fine and dandy, but when women tell a joke that nobody can't understand but me turns me on. A woman who knows how to react to sleazy guys trying to just get the digits or looking to be your puppy at a bar is a major turn on, this proves to me that you are independent and can definitely be trusted. I like women who are career oriented, this shows me that you can set short-term and long-term goals to anything you've set your mind to.
This is all very bad.

You have grammar errors.
Divide up the big paragraphs.

First date shouldn't be completely spontaneous. You need to plan it so she knows what to expect.
Driving around randomly does not sound like a fun date.

Doesn't look like you followed the advice given on these 2 pages of comments...
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 40
Posted: 11/13/2014 10:34:12 AM
LovinU401...glad to see you have bumped your Profile Review here.
You urgently need to replace your pictures.
Women will instantly notice they were taken in a dirty mirror.

Change your tone to indicate you are speaking to ONE woman, not an assembled audience.
By speaking in plural it makes you appear that you simply wish to put notches on your bedpost.

Lastly...eliminate the suggestion of "going for a random drive" from your First Date ideas.
You and the woman are still internet strangers to each other. Keep it someplace safe, public, bright, local, and easy.
 LovinU401
Msg: 41
Posted: 11/14/2014 2:38:49 AM
Thanks for your advice but this is something that's gonna take some time. That last paragraph was completely rushed through, I feel like I should of took the time to proofread all that. Describing yourself on online dating takes time, effort and a general idea of what you should describe yourself as. I can deal with the advice, it's only gonna keep getting better. I know my profile pics suck, I haven't had any time to even try to take some new ones. I've been really busy with my real life that I almost forget about pof sometimes. My idea was to get professional photos done as they need to be done by somebody else, not me. I've appreciate the feedback from everybody as always btw.
 tatersprout
Msg: 42
Posted: 11/14/2014 11:07:47 AM
Take your time; just hold off on sending messages until it looks better.

Your choice on the pro photographer, but I think you should hand your phone to friends or coworkers and ask them to snap a few on diff days with diff clothes. Say they're for mom or g'ma if you're shy.
 LovinU401
Msg: 43
Posted: 11/16/2014 5:04:17 AM
mhhm yeah that's what I'm gonna do. My mirror broke last night so I tried something a little different with the camera angle from my cell phone yesterday. Not sure if it's worth mentioning but, it is something different. Just gotta play around with the camera angles and stuff. As far as messages goes, I haven't really sent any messages. I just come back to this every now and then trying to improve my chances, tweaking my profile etc. The good news is that I'm not wasting any money in the process unlike match.com or any dating site.
 ScooterSB
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 11/16/2014 6:04:51 AM

I haven't really sent any messages. I just come back to this every now and then trying to improve my chances, tweaking my profile etc.

Women very very rarely send the first message out to men. Either they see it as a mans role to make the first move, or they are bombarded with so many messages there is no need for them to send the first ones out.

The best thing you can do at this stage to increase your chances of getting a date is start sending some messages out, if you are just waiting for women to message you out of the blue then you could be waiting a long time.

Also, many people search by activity date, so if someone in your area was searching for guys like you, if you havnt logged on in a few weeks they might not even see your profile as it would go to the bottom of the list.
 LovinU401
Msg: 45
Posted: 11/16/2014 7:05:33 AM
^ I know that, what I meant to say is by editing my profile and sending messages to women with a decent profile should generate back responses. It's all in what you say to the first message, if she likes your pictures, and your profile description that should get women to reply back.
 Forums_only
Msg: 46
Posted: 11/16/2014 10:25:21 AM

sending messages to women with a decent profile should generate back responses

In theory. However for her to respond, she has to be physically/visually attracted to you in the first place and find an emotional connection somewhere in your profile. She also has to find your stats agreeable and be looking for what you are looking for. Just as not every single woman in your area is your idea of a perfect match, it works both ways. You will give yourself an aneurysm if you expect a response from everyone you contact.
 LovinU401
Msg: 47
Posted: 11/17/2014 7:53:46 PM
Okay I've made some slight changes to my profile. I went and added some better pictures, just no photos of any activities though. I've also revised my profile description. Hopefully this should do, I'm not giving up on trying to make my profile better.
 tatersprout
Msg: 48
Posted: 11/17/2014 11:17:30 PM
Hey,
The new pics are a slight improvement...keep working on them.
I know it's cold out now, but pics outdoors in natural light are best.
Go out and snap a bunch in a row--think happy thoughts so you have a natural smile :)

The fish themed header needs to go.
Think movie quote or song lyric...easy and maybe it will start a convo if she recognizes it.

From your writing, I am guessing that English is not your primary language.
It's a bit formal and you have some grammar and punctuation errors.
Love the use of semicolons; my favorite punctuation mark!

Split up that big paragraph and use plenty of white space...easier to read on a phone.

Instead of saying you live an active lifestyle, show it. What do you do?

Saying that working with computers and electronics is easy for you but hard for others sounds like conceit and bragging.

Delete the discussion of video games unless your woman must have a similar love for them.

Keep at it; it's looking better!
 LovinU401
Msg: 49
Posted: 11/18/2014 9:10:05 AM

Hey,
The new pics are a slight improvement...keep working on them.
I know it's cold out now, but pics outdoors in natural light are best.
Go out and snap a bunch in a row--think happy thoughts so you have a natural smile :)

The fish themed header needs to go.
Think movie quote or song lyric...easy and maybe it will start a convo if she recognizes it.

From your writing, I am guessing that English is not your primary language.
It's a bit formal and you have some grammar and punctuation errors.
Love the use of semicolons; my favorite punctuation mark!

Split up that big paragraph and use plenty of white space...easier to read on a phone.

Instead of saying you live an active lifestyle, show it. What do you do?

Saying that working with computers and electronics is easy for you but hard for others sounds like conceit and bragging.

Delete the discussion of video games unless your woman must have a similar love for them.

Keep at it; it's looking better!

I appreciate your input. English is my primary language except I'm horrible with my writing skills :(. I will try to make some time to edit it pretty soon.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 50
Posted: 11/18/2014 9:13:41 AM
Profile is looking very much improved. Bravo!
It is definitely better than your earlier version. Keep at it!

No need for professional photographs, yet you will wish them to be taken outdoors, by someone else, with a camera.
Professional photographs might look too good and can influence a person to think a profile is actually a fake!

Have a friend take two dozen well-lit, OUTDOOR, crisp photographs using a high-quality digital camera...which is preferred over a fuzzy cellphone. This is primarily due to better ergonomics and superior capability of a camera to process available light. Include a variety of backgrounds, activities, and various articles of clothing to add greater interest. Make sure there are enough without hats, costumes, or sunglasses. Have both close-ups and full-body images. Upload the best pics of the bunch. Ensure you continue to date and caption each...to make them more entertaining to read. Good luck with your romantic search. :-)
Show ALL Forums  > Profile Reviews  > profile review please and thanks :D