Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 naysaying_knicktwist
Msg: 59
Kilt on a first date?Page 3 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
ProcolHarem

I'm not sure my pasty white, hairy legs are cut out for Kilts.

If you post a pic I'll give you my opinion, Procol. ;-)
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 60
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 4:41:45 AM
as an Englishman and a black man, you are not allowed to wear a kilt.

i'm white and irish; how would you feel if I showed up in a huge head wrap, earrings like dinner plates and a dashiki gown thing??

I do love a kilt but only on men who are actually scottish. perhaps we can make certain allowances for the limeys and the micks and even the canucks, aussies, and kiwis on special occasions. but on the first date is way over the top, IMO.

what are you trying to prove?
 Walts
Msg: 61
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 4:58:03 AM
From my experience you are not suppose to show up on any date with a woman looking better than she is. Look for examples of this opinion in this thread.

You also don't wanna be wearing crocs, any colour.

Personally though, I would wear what "I" want, phuck the opinions. Of course, the chances of getting her panties down to her ankles lowers with this kind of attitude. But, if you find the "one", it will be worth it.
 LiliMarleen
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 5:01:39 AM
Have you considered Lederhosen, OP?

Headgear also offers a variety of creative options, such as Tyrolean hats and the cone shaped ones favored by Vietnamese farmers.
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 6:02:07 AM
The words that got me...."fit and powerful" "muscled" "pull it off" "loose garments" all rolled into one....hmmmm hmmmm :) Is it hot in here????

Lol. Yes. Very, and sore. I was teasing Eric. I'm good friends with post LT dating a cyclist and he has told me how sore you get 'there' during long rides. He said he read in a cyclist magazine that the #1 thing people think about on those rides is sex. Go figure :)

I'd want to be in a kilt too. Be interesting to upskirt all those men and see how undressed they are. Shame on me :)

The legs are strong, yes, but I've noticed this man and others like him usually have strong chest/shoulder muscles too. (big sigh :) Love a runner's hips and belly too :) Total male worshiping with both :) After dating both of them, though, I fell in love with a bit of a teddy bear type. That makes for great cuddling, but I missed sometimes just feeling those muscles moving under my hands. Whew. Good stuff.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 65
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 6:32:36 AM

Posted by Walts:
"You also don't wanna be wearing crocs, any colour."

Unless she specifies certain garments and shoes are a total turn-on and she brings whiskey to show her appreciation. ;-)
 phoenix_55
Msg: 66
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 7:50:22 AM
Why would you wear a kilt at all if you're not Scottish?

If it's because you think you can legitimately "go commando" it's a poor excuse to wear a kilt lol
 ladyc4
Msg: 68
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 8:13:29 AM
Some background...
the word is "Sassenach", Mr Wolves.
Traditionally, the tartan kilt reflects ones Scots ancestry. everyone better hope I never decide to show up at an event
dressed in the tartans I could legitimately wear( in a "plaid", which is a tartan shawl) because there would be 3 different patterns...holy clash, Batman!
I would certainly hate to see someone trying to carry bagpipes in a sporran-because I think it would poke someplace that would really hurt,lol...
I have, however, seen guys at RenFaires wearing solid color kilts. Actually the trouser type article is fairly recent in terms of male dress.
And I have seen kilts worn to proms here in the US, and bridegrooms wearing kilts. Mostly I suspect it is to celebrate the individuals' Celtic ancestry, but insofar as I know, formal Scots traditional dress( that would be a kilt) is acceptable evening dress for formal/"black tie" events in many places.
But for a general first date in most "western" cultures, I think a kilt might be a bit over the top for even a direct descendant of Robert Bruce or William Wallace.
JMO
Cindy O
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 69
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 8:25:30 AM
^^^

LadyC4, excellent post from a historical perspective and also including a bit of humor. Bravo!
Speaking of William Wallace and the great Braveheart movie...nobody would call those guys names. ;-)
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 70
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 12:36:32 PM
The movie Braveheart was full of Hollywood fantasy and, of course, Mel Gibson's legs. However, I've done some research and while there are differences of opinion, the following seems to be the general consensus...

"Did William Wallace wear a kilt?
The real William Wallace did not wear a kilt. Historically, kilts weren't even around until the sixteenth century, and William Wallace was born in approximately 1272."
 ladyc4
Msg: 71
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 2:07:56 PM
From www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/281367/Iceni
"Iceni, in ancient Britain, a tribe that occupied the territory of present-day Norfolk and Suffolk and, under its queen Boudicca (Boadicea), revolted against Roman rule."
From Wiki
"The History of the Kilt stretches back to at least the end of the 16th century."(italics mine)
A Bing snippet from
www.your-kilt.com/history-of-the-kilt.html
"The history of the kilt dates back to the sixteenth century, and perhaps further, no one knows for sure as its origins are lost in the mists of time."

Anyway, I mentioned Robert the Bruce and William Wallace as examples of Scots ancestry, not claiming to know whether or not they wore kilts, togas, robes, breechclouts, lederhosen, tights, boots and breeches,jodphurs, codpieces, farthingales, bustles...whichever, lol.
I also have no doubt that "Braveheart" was a Hollywoodized version of history, like many of the historic/epic type of films.

To stick to the actual topic, fond as I am of a man in a kilt, I don't think I would recommend anyone wear them on any but the most formal and Celtic social events, or to a Renaissance Faire. OP, is your date activity going to be taking in a Renaissance Faire?
Cindy O

Eric_Summit
Msg: 72
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 2:16:09 PM
^^^

Posted by OP t_challa:
"I wore a cream cable knit jumper and a black leather jacket."

He opted for more mainstream garments for this initial meeting. Maybe he can try the kilt later.
Another option is to become a cyclist or a trailrunner with her.
They can be surrounded by lots of fit people wearing kilts.
 Maleman999
Msg: 73
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 2:42:13 PM
If the OP was of different ancestry-let's say eastern European-and he wore a national traditional outfit that you would see at foreign cultural events, I think most people would find that odd if he wore it to a date. People would find it even more weird if he wanted to wear the traditional outfit custom to a neighboring country.
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 74
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/20/2013 5:02:47 PM
Op, you are attractive enough to pull it off. You seem fun. It is a personality thing. If you are the type of guy who likes to wear a kilt, better let it shine right away. I think it's awesome.

As for the 'if you aren't Scottish, you cant wear it' seriously people. Well, then I guess jeans should only be worn by cowboys, ponchos only by Mexicans, Saaris by Indians, etc. Clothes ars clothes. We use them to protect ourselves, but show who we are. It isn't only one type of person who can wear something.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 75
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 5:55:28 AM
As for the 'if you aren't Scottish, you cant wear it' seriously people.

eye wuz bee-ing faseeshus.

--- mo-(shopping for Viking helmets)-town
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 76
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 8:32:25 AM
So.e one said it like it was an affront to Scottish people.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 77
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 11:22:03 AM

if you are not Scottish, don't wear it, as a person who is of Scottish decent, I find it phoney

pppfft

I wear clogs, but I am not dutch.

My hair is in a french braid today, but I am not french.

Get over it.

I have many Scottish relatives, and we all love to see the kilt, even on people who are not Scottish-so long as it is being worn with respect and pride.

And for the record, you can be black and Scottish. All it takes is to be born in Sclotland and there is no law forbidding black people from having children in Scotland to my knowledge.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 78
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 11:30:59 AM
Yup these days you really cannot categorize anyone by the way they choose to present their appearance. Men wearing a kilt do not mean they are any more Scottish than the next guy.

Men wearing makeup and jewelry and dying and perming their hair and wearing dresses does not categorize them as gay or a transvestite anymore and neither does a woman dressed and acting manly. Same could be said for all the kids who look like the rough and tumble crowd of days gone by with their piercings and tats and style of dress or what seems like a resurgence of the hippie style of clothing and hairstyles.

So many peoples appearance has nothing to do with who they really are anymore it's getting to be just like Halloween 365 days per year - we seem to be living in the age of the wanna bee where everyone wants to be something they are not.

If wearing a kilt is the latest fashion statement in some crowds it's won't come as any more of a surprise to me than young men wearing their crotch of their jeans down near their knees.

The funniest kilt wearing guy I ever viewed was the starter at a speed skiing event - he went through the speed trap at 140 something kph and pulled up his kilt as he exited the timing trap to reveal to all that he was indeed going commando... and yes he was a true Scotsman and felt that spandex was not a required item for an athletic event.
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 79
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 12:10:19 PM
^^^^Apparently this also holds true for bicyclists that practice this. On the other hand I'm sure Bikers don't, at least none I've ever rode with. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Eric?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 80
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 1:14:46 PM
Posted by WolvesAtTheDoor:
"Apparently this also holds true for bicyclists that practice this.
On the other hand I'm sure Bikers don't, at least none I've ever rode with. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Eric?"

Spandex / Lycra remains the most popular garment fabric for use for cycling enthusiasts by a wide margin.
Bikers are people who typically wear leather, denim, boots, gloves, and helmets for protection while riding motorcycles.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 82
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 12:08:32 PM
Awesome! all the best to you and your date.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 83
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:15:01 PM
No fair. As if women weren’t already fixated on what’s between our legs, wearing a kilt just raises the obssession to fever pitch. You’re a bad, bad man.
 aanarchist
Msg: 84
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:23:52 PM
Wear what you wanna wear bro, don't be afraid of scaring her off she's just a girl. A woman judging your character by the way you dress is no woman, just another girl. I actually know a guy who wears a kilt hes a pretty cool dood, obv its cuz of thr kilt.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 85
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:31:03 PM
I think people should wear whatever the heck they want
and not worry about what others think.

Of course when you do this...you risk the chance of having
some people point and stare or make rude or funny remarks.

There is a guy that comes into the bookstore that wears a kilt.
I admit to always doing a double take, but then I just move on.
Not sure how I'd react to someone showing up to a date with
a kilt on, I'd probably have questions...but then my outfits are
sometimes stare worthy...so who am I to judge?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 86
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:31:15 PM
Excellent date story, t_challa. Good for you. Bravo!
Telling about a positive dating experience, enjoying the company of one another, and sharing this status with others.
This kind of happy upbeat news is going to cause POF Forums regulars heads to nearly explode!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >