Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 74
Kilt on a first date?Page 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
Op, you are attractive enough to pull it off. You seem fun. It is a personality thing. If you are the type of guy who likes to wear a kilt, better let it shine right away. I think it's awesome.

As for the 'if you aren't Scottish, you cant wear it' seriously people. Well, then I guess jeans should only be worn by cowboys, ponchos only by Mexicans, Saaris by Indians, etc. Clothes ars clothes. We use them to protect ourselves, but show who we are. It isn't only one type of person who can wear something.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 75
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 5:55:28 AM
As for the 'if you aren't Scottish, you cant wear it' seriously people.

eye wuz bee-ing faseeshus.

--- mo-(shopping for Viking helmets)-town
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 76
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 8:32:25 AM
So.e one said it like it was an affront to Scottish people.
 femaleconnection
Msg: 77
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 11:22:03 AM

if you are not Scottish, don't wear it, as a person who is of Scottish decent, I find it phoney

pppfft

I wear clogs, but I am not dutch.

My hair is in a french braid today, but I am not french.

Get over it.

I have many Scottish relatives, and we all love to see the kilt, even on people who are not Scottish-so long as it is being worn with respect and pride.

And for the record, you can be black and Scottish. All it takes is to be born in Sclotland and there is no law forbidding black people from having children in Scotland to my knowledge.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 78
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 11:30:59 AM
Yup these days you really cannot categorize anyone by the way they choose to present their appearance. Men wearing a kilt do not mean they are any more Scottish than the next guy.

Men wearing makeup and jewelry and dying and perming their hair and wearing dresses does not categorize them as gay or a transvestite anymore and neither does a woman dressed and acting manly. Same could be said for all the kids who look like the rough and tumble crowd of days gone by with their piercings and tats and style of dress or what seems like a resurgence of the hippie style of clothing and hairstyles.

So many peoples appearance has nothing to do with who they really are anymore it's getting to be just like Halloween 365 days per year - we seem to be living in the age of the wanna bee where everyone wants to be something they are not.

If wearing a kilt is the latest fashion statement in some crowds it's won't come as any more of a surprise to me than young men wearing their crotch of their jeans down near their knees.

The funniest kilt wearing guy I ever viewed was the starter at a speed skiing event - he went through the speed trap at 140 something kph and pulled up his kilt as he exited the timing trap to reveal to all that he was indeed going commando... and yes he was a true Scotsman and felt that spandex was not a required item for an athletic event.
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 79
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 12:10:19 PM
^^^^Apparently this also holds true for bicyclists that practice this. On the other hand I'm sure Bikers don't, at least none I've ever rode with. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Eric?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 80
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/21/2013 1:14:46 PM
Posted by WolvesAtTheDoor:
"Apparently this also holds true for bicyclists that practice this.
On the other hand I'm sure Bikers don't, at least none I've ever rode with. Maybe it's a geographical thing. Eric?"

Spandex / Lycra remains the most popular garment fabric for use for cycling enthusiasts by a wide margin.
Bikers are people who typically wear leather, denim, boots, gloves, and helmets for protection while riding motorcycles.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 82
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 12:08:32 PM
Awesome! all the best to you and your date.
 MutedEnthusiasm
Msg: 83
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:15:01 PM
No fair. As if women weren’t already fixated on what’s between our legs, wearing a kilt just raises the obssession to fever pitch. You’re a bad, bad man.
 aanarchist
Msg: 84
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:23:52 PM
Wear what you wanna wear bro, don't be afraid of scaring her off she's just a girl. A woman judging your character by the way you dress is no woman, just another girl. I actually know a guy who wears a kilt hes a pretty cool dood, obv its cuz of thr kilt.
 browneyesboo
Msg: 85
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:31:03 PM
I think people should wear whatever the heck they want
and not worry about what others think.

Of course when you do this...you risk the chance of having
some people point and stare or make rude or funny remarks.

There is a guy that comes into the bookstore that wears a kilt.
I admit to always doing a double take, but then I just move on.
Not sure how I'd react to someone showing up to a date with
a kilt on, I'd probably have questions...but then my outfits are
sometimes stare worthy...so who am I to judge?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 86
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:31:15 PM
Excellent date story, t_challa. Good for you. Bravo!
Telling about a positive dating experience, enjoying the company of one another, and sharing this status with others.
This kind of happy upbeat news is going to cause POF Forums regulars heads to nearly explode!
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 87
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:35:24 PM
Well done OP! My English buddy wonders if you've ever considered a Zoot Suit to add to your wardrobe? (I had to google it too Eric) As English fashions go, hey I remember the Carnaby Street fashion of paisley in 1967, lol.
 moraima
Msg: 88
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 1:44:12 PM
" I do not wear kilts to get attention"

If you say so, it must be true.

"Wear what you wanna wear bro, don't be afraid of scaring her off she's just a girl."

I am very much a women. One of my preferences is not to date a man who wears a kilt, unless the social occasion required it.

I wouldn't be interested in being on a date with a man that dresses in a manor that makes people stare at him because be looks out of place in the surroundings.
 April1963
Msg: 89
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 2:14:28 PM
I'm still waiting for a response to my (uneducated) question :-)
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 2:29:15 PM
This update is a good reminder that we are often egotistical posting instead of remembering we are answering a question and speaking to a person, and that person is reading it as if you are talking directly to him/her, not just talking about of ego.

Having said that, you had to mention your legs looking good, didn't you? I think this post has discovered some type of mini fetish for me. Good lord.

Your update was interesting and educational.

I'm thinking kilts just aren't as common here (USA) for casual, non-event wear as they are in the UK. I've never seen anyone wear one unless they were in a parade.
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 91
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 3:44:16 PM
Let me make my OPINION about this Chrystal clear , anyone other than a Scottish or Irish person that wears a kilt (in public) is using a highly respected tradition to hide / or publish an extemely feminine side of themselves.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 92
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 4:06:22 PM
^^^ only if it sparkles.

men in kilts --->

http://www.meninkilts.com/
wash my windows, b*tches.

ha ha just kiddin.
http://fuckyeahmeninkilts.tumblr.com/
 Bebedeleau
Msg: 93
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 5:52:58 PM
Lol. Awww. Those kilts are way too long to match my imagery. They would be sexy mid thigh :)
 fieryredhead77
Msg: 94
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/22/2013 6:15:04 PM
Are guys who wear pink feminine too? Funny how the the gender roles the we assign inanimate objects dictate how we are as sexual beings now. But only if you aren't from a certain country? Okaaaaaay. How on earth does it relate to his sexuality? You know, 100 years ago those crazy girls who wanted to wear pants were masculine and probably gay, right? (Note sarcasm here)

I have a pair of leopard print skinny jeans. Makes my ass look great. I am sure there are plenty of guys who wouldn't date me because they are a bit outrageous. To each his/her own.
 domainfullduplex100
Msg: 95
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/29/2013 3:28:26 PM
This should work for you fella :

Kilt
lion skin strewn across your chest
Swedish wooden shoes
wolf skin hat.

If none are appealing, save the kilt for after she is yours... showing up in kilt may end up with you not being taken seriously.
 jlynn1955
Msg: 96
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/29/2013 4:37:22 PM
Why would you even think about doing that? I think it might be embarrassing to her because it's bound to bring the two of you a lot of attention from others and she might not be up for that. Especially on a first date.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 97
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 11/30/2013 4:40:19 AM
Guess he "got kilt" on his first date.
Op has left the building.
 vlad dracul
Msg: 98
view profile
History
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 12/3/2013 10:16:38 PM
Hope your party went well and you wore the kilt.
As someone said if worn with pride and not to take
the piss then the vast majority of us scots wouldnt
give an arbroath smokies fin.

There are many many tartans and my second name
has been snaffled by the MacDuffs.
Although my dad had Anderson in his blood .
Being honest i prefer the Anderson tartan.
Check this place out and see if yous are related
to a clan.
Not THE klan but a Scottish clan.
Now a REAL outfit is expensive. Depending what
you seek.
Lots of tartan tat shops so if buying shop with
care.
http://www.geoffreykilts.co.uk/

Messages this short cant be posted
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 99
Kilt on a first date?
Posted: 12/4/2013 4:19:49 AM
hey OP, my first date with one guy was, ironically, a Scottish wedding where all the guys in the bridal party were wearing kilts (I was invited by the father of the bride).

They all looked awesome (though I ALMOST got a braveheart view at one point because his young grandson was playing with his kilt while he was holding him and it got flung a little too high at one point.)

They all looked awesome, and it was a really cool wedding. I don't know how it would work for a normal garden variety date, but in this case they all looked incredible. And they were FUN to hang with.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >