Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Thoughts on eliminating dairy,weight loss and effects on health?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 satx78218
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Thoughts on eliminating dairy,weight loss and effects on health?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
"I recently eliminated dairy products"

human beings simply don't need, iow, not "essential", other mammals' milk, esp not the highly tainted, processed dairy-like substances BigFood and BigAg are marketing. Organic, "live" fermented milk is another story.
 satx78218
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Thoughts on eliminating dairy,weight loss and effects on health?
Posted: 2/15/2014 1:52:40 PM
Rather than the dairy-like low-fat junk from BigFood, here's interesting support, if you must have dairy, for organic, FULL-FAT milk (and (non-chemically aged) cheese, I guess)

The Full-Fat Paradox: Whole Milk May Keep Us Lean

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/02/12/275376259/the-full-fat-paradox-whole-milk-may-keep-us-lean?sc=17&f=1128
 jpwrnglrwmn
Msg: 27
Posted: 3/8/2014 11:43:08 AM
[We eat sensibly for 5 of 7 days then on 2 non-consecutive days we limit calories to around 500 (me) and 600 (him). This is part of keeping one's metabolism on the hop. If you think about it too, back in Palaeolithic days there WOULD be occasions where food was scarce. Neither of us seems to find this onerous and it feels sustainable to me too.]

This sounds like a good idea. . How long have you guys been on the 5 :2 eating schedule? Yep, I definitely agree dairy isn't needed. .I also cut out all dairy (except for eggs) 4 months ago, and am feeling so much better. Like you, I get my calcium from greens, plant milk (almond milk), and other greens, almonds, fish. Now, when you are on the 500 calorie day, do you also monitor where the calories are coming from, ie. protein source, carbs, etc?
 JoggerGirl02
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/8/2014 2:15:23 PM
I would imagine giving up dairy would be a complete win/win for everyone. For your health, for the cow's and for the planet.
I would also imagine it has to be beneficial for weight loss, given that cheese is so high in fat..and not good fat either. I'm sure I read somewhere that cheese is actually one step away from being the same as Vaseline??

Dairy was the last thing I gave up to become animal free and though I didn't lose weight doing this (I didn't want to), my blood levels certainly improved and my overall wellbeing skyrocketed. To me, that's enough proof that my body doesn't need or benefit from dairy.
 satx78218
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2014 12:04:16 PM
Why American Milk Might Be Worse For You Than Milk in Other Parts of the World

It turns out that they could be onto something. An emerging body of research suggests that many of the 1 in 4 Americans who exhibit symptoms of lactose intolerance could instead be unable to digest A1, a protein most often found in milk from the high-producing Holstein cows favored by American and some European industrial dairies. The A1 protein is much less prevalent in milk from Jersey, Guernsey, and most Asian and African cow breeds, where, instead, the A2 protein predominates.

"We've got a huge amount of observational evidence that a lot of people can digest the A2 but not the A1," says Keith Woodford, a professor of farm management and agribusiness at New Zealand's Lincoln University who wrote the 2007 book Devil in the Milk: Illness, Health, and the Politics of A1 and A2 Milk. "More than 100 studies suggest links between the A1 protein and a whole range of health conditions"—everything from heart disease to diabetes to autism, Woodford says, though the evidence is far from conclusive.

http://www.alternet.org/why-american-milk-might-be-worse-you-milk-other-parts-world?akid=11602.187590.XAEO9g&rd=1&src=newsletter971084&t=27
 jpwrnglrwmn
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/31/2014 10:32:24 PM
No, I am staying away from processed food. .except for the small amount (1/2 to 2/3 cup granola) that I have sometimes (trying to cut that out, or at least reduce). .or the small amount of dark chocolate.
Am also staying away from chicken, too. Small amounts of meat eaten during the week are either salmon or shrimp. I didn't know about broccoli's high calcium content, good to know!
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2014 2:43:49 AM
Chicken is a great source of potassium as is broccoli.
Whats your issue with chicken,but not a scavenger like shrimp?
Get antibiotic/hormone free 2/3 times a week

More potassium than bananas, which are "famous" for potassium.
Minerals need balance

To much broccoli/kale can affect the thyroid.
Use dark cocoa powder and make a smoothie or a strong cocoa drink with stevia if you want "chocolate".
Know where you seafood comes from if you are eating seafood.
Esp those critters that clean the oceans floor.
 jpwrnglrwmn
Msg: 32
Posted: 5/18/2014 8:51:04 PM
Well, as far as why I'm choosing to not eat chicken, it's not for health reasons. .because I like birds, and feel like I shouldn't be eating them. Not eating shrimp any longer, just wild salmon and sardines occasionally. . .Am alternating fish for dinner one day, then a meatless dinner the next day. . .
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2014 3:03:35 AM

No need to restrict dairy, or any food for that matter. Diets are fads.

Its not a FAD to eliminate anything that could possibly affect your health/weight.

Its called an elimination diet to see what foods cause issues you may have, be it intolerance to it, weight gain or allergies.
Some food groups do cause weight gain, bloating, skin problems, joint aches etc in some people.
More today than ever before.
Dairy products contain lactose ( sugar). I

because I like birds

I like birds too, but also care about getting in quality protein other than eggs, dairy and esp red meat.
Im not suggesting eating a blue bird , cardinal or pelican.
But go with your conscious.
I wont eat a deer or rabbit myself.

Dairy should be organic and full fat, as Saxt said IF you are going to eat it.
Eliminate it first and see how you are doing .
Make a decision after 2-4 weeks of no dairy.
Thats enough time to see a difference.

Add back some plain organic cottage cheese or yogurt one day a week, then see of you are still feeling good..

i dont see how NOT eating something a few weeks can hurt you as long as yo get in the calcium in other ways.
 activemelaney
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 5/19/2014 1:59:15 PM
I have not consumed dairy for decades...except for a bit of specialty cheese now and then.

I would rather give my granddaughters a 6 ounce glass of beer than hormone laden cow's milk. (I don't give them either).Yes, they get an ice cream but that is a rare treat. We see many 12 year old girls with adult women medical issues. No, can't say for certain it is diet but the evidence leans that way. My two daughters were raised without dairy products and are quite healthy mothers.

We consume almond and coconut based milk...no issues that I am aware of although one needs to be leary of pesticides, etc.
 jpwrnglrwmn
Msg: 35
Posted: 5/31/2014 12:59:01 PM
^^That's a good pattern to adopt, not having dairy except on rare occasions. I wish I'd started much earlier with the no dairy, but at least I'm doing it now. I keep forgetting dairy includes eggs,so I guess I've cut everything else out except eggs (no cheese, ice cream, yogurt)As far as animal protein goes, I'm getting it from eggs and fish (salmon, sardines, cod). Well, as far as liking birds, I guess I just think of baby chicks, and I can't eat chicken. Feel guilty if I do. .
Is chicken considered a better protein than eating an egg? Seems it would be the same. .?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 6/2/2014 12:47:38 PM
Eggs are NOT dairy, they are bought in the dairy section along with other non dairy items like cinnamon rolls.
Dairy is a product made from an animals ( cow, goat etc) mammary glands.

Eggs are the most perfect protein imo, full of healthy fats like omega 3's, vitamins and minerals including riboflavin, folate, vitamins B6, B12, D, E, iron, phosphorus, and zinc.
( if not allergic to them, have at them)

I rarely go a day without 4 eggs.

Have some chicken AND eggs .
Ideally organic, but at least hormone and antibiotic free.
 satx78218
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 6/7/2014 9:13:26 AM
Meat and cheese may be as bad as smoking

http://news.usc.edu/59199/meat-and-cheese-may-be-as-bad-for-you-as-smoking/
 satx78218
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 6/9/2014 10:39:17 AM
sorry, I got that USC study off Internet, so it's totally useless, as USC must be,also. Please ignore.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2014 3:31:24 AM
^^^^^^^
Add the Harvard studies, total BS I'm sure.
Dr Willet head of nutrition at Harvard recommends no dairy.

According to Dr. Willett, who has done many studies and reviewed the research on this topic, there are many reasons to pass up milk, including:

Milk doesn’t reduce fractures. Contrary to popular belief, eating dairy products has never been shown to reduce fracture risk. In fact, according to the Nurses’ Health Study dairy may increase risk of fractures by 50 percent.

Less dairy, better bones. Countries with lowest rates of dairy and calcium consumption (like those in Africa and Asia) have the lowest rates of osteoporosis.

Calcium isn’t as bone-protective as we thought. Studies of calcium supplementation have shown no benefit in reducing fracture risk. vitamin D appears to be much more important than calcium in preventing fractures.

Calcium may raise cancer risk. Research shows that higher intakes of both calcium and dairy products may increase a man’s risk of prostate cancer by 30 to 50 percent. Plus, dairy consumption increases the body’s level of insulin-like growth factor-1 (IGF-1) — a known cancer promoter.

Calcium has benefits that dairy doesn’t. Calcium supplements and from plant sources, but not dairy products, may reduce the risk of colon cancer.

About 75 percent of the world’s population is genetically unable to properly digest milk and other dairy products — a problem called lactose intolerance.

Based on such findings, Dr. Willet has come to some important conclusions:

• Everybody needs calcium –
but probably not as much as our government’s recommended daily allowance (RDA).
Calcium can be obtained from other foods.
Few people in this country are likely to reduce their fracture risk by getting more calcium.

Dairy may be unhealthy.
Dairy consumption may have negative effects on health.

There are a few other scientific findings worth noting. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) recently asked the UDSA to look into the scientific basis of the claims made in the “milk mustache” ads. Their panel of scientists stated the truth clearly:

There’s no evidence that dairy is good for your bones or prevents osteoporosis — in fact, the animal protein it contains may help cause bone loss!
Acidic forming food^^^^^
Simply put, the FTC asked the dairy industry, “Got Proof?” — and the answer was NO!

Plus, dairy may contribute to even more health problems, like:
Allergies and anemia

Many have begun to consider raw milk an alternative. But that isn’t really a healthy form of dairy either …

Raw, whole, organic milk eliminates concerns like pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and the effects of homogenization and pasteurization , but not the risks of dairy

Milk is a strange food for humans. Until 10,000 years ago we didn’t domesticate animals and weren’t able to drink milk (unless some brave hunter-gather milked a wild tiger or buffalo!).

The majority of humans naturally stop producing significant amounts of lactase — the enzyme needed to properly metabolize lactose, the sugar in milk — sometime between the ages of two and five. In fact, for most mammals, the normal condition is to stop producing the enzymes needed to properly digest and metabolize milk after they have been weaned.

Our bodies just weren’t made to digest milk on a regular basis. Instead, most scientists agree that it’s better for us to get calcium, potassium, protein, and fats from other food sources, like whole plant foods — vegetables, fruits, beans, whole grains, nuts, seeds, and seaweed.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So here is my advice for dealing with dairy.
Try giving up all dairy.

That means eliminate milk, cheese, yogurt, and ice cream for two weeks and see if you feel better. You should notice improvements in health
Then start eating dairy again and see how you feel. If you feel worse, you should try to give it up for life.

If you can tolerate dairy, use only raw, organic dairy products.

I suggest focusing on fermented products like unsweetened yogurt and kefir, occasionally.

If you have to feed your child formula from milk, don’t worry.

The milk in infant formula is hydrolyzed or broken down and easier to digest (although it can still cause allergies). Once your child is a year old, switch him or her to real food and almond milk.

Still got milk? Remember, dairy is not crucial for good health. I encourage you to go dairy-free and see what it does for you.

He says a lot more, but I'm sure you get the point.
Then again, its just a Harvard nutritionist .
 DragonBits
Msg: 40
Posted: 6/11/2014 5:07:15 AM

Milk is a strange food for humans. Until 10,000 years ago we didn’t domesticate animals and weren’t able to drink milk (unless some brave hunter-gather milked a wild tiger or buffalo!).

What is really interesting about this is that people have evolved over the past 10,000 years to be able to digest the lactose in milk. I don't believe most of us understand evolution is still occurring, the general feeling is it takes millions of years. And it throws the whole concept of paleo diet into question. What other new evolutionary genes have recently occurred?

Another interesting thing, being able to digest lactose in milk makes people generally healthy later in life.

Eliminating dairy seems to be an individual genetic decision on whether it is good or bad for you. This makes sense of all the conflicting studies on dairy and other foods, individual genetic variations play a greater role than we had understood in the past. Making studies conflicting also.

Lactase persistence is the continued activity of the enzyme lactase in adulthood. Since lactase's only function is the digestion of lactose in milk, in most mammal species the activity of the enzyme is dramatically reduced after weaning.[1] However in some human populations lactase persistence has recently evolved[2] as an adaptation to the consumption of non-human milk and dairy products beyond infancy. The majority of people around the world remain lactase non-persistent,[1] and consequently are affected by varying degrees of lactose intolerance as adults – though not all genetically lactase non-persistent individuals are noticeably lactose intolerant, and not all lactose intolerant individuals have the lactase non-persistence allele.

The question then arises: if lactase expression is not necessary after infancy, why has it persisted? Lactase expression persistence is largely due to natural selection. Natural selection is a component of evolution by which a trait affects the chances of the survival of organisms, and consequently, the trait becomes more prevalent in the population over time. Especially in Europe, the genetic variant -13,910*T has been strongly associated with lactase persistence and has been favored by natural selection in the past 10,000 years.[12] Indeed, the consumption of lactose has been proven to benefit humans through adulthood. For example, the 2009 British Women's Heart and Health Study[10] investigated the effects on women's health of the alleles that coded for lactase persistence. Where the C allele indicated lactase non-persistence and the T allele indicated lactase persistence, the study found that women that were homozygous for the C allele exhibited worse health than women with a C and a T allele and women with two T alleles. Women who were CC reported more hip and wrist fractures, more osteoporosis, and more cataracts than the other groups.[13] They also were on average 4–6 mm shorter than the other women, as well as slightly lighter in weight.[13] In addition, factors such as metabolic traits, socioeconomic status, lifestyle, and fertility were found to be unrelated to the findings, and thus it can be concluded that the lactase persistence benefited the health of these women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactase_persistence

satx78218
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2014 12:20:47 PM
"people have evolved over the past 10,000 years to be able to digest the lactose in milk"

nearly all humans as little nippers tolerate lactose from breast milk, an ability that decreases post-suckling.

some humans haven't evolved to tolerate lactose, aka, lactose intolerance

Same goes for gluten, since before agriculture, humans ate little or no grains. Most can, some are gluten intolerant.
 DragonBits
Msg: 42
Posted: 6/13/2014 5:58:05 AM

"people have evolved over the past 10,000 years to be able to digest the lactose in milk"

nearly all humans as little nippers tolerate lactose from breast milk, an ability that decreases post-suckling.

My point wasn't about babies, it was about adults.

It was about large groups of humans that have recently evolved to have the enzyme lactase in adulthood, and that those evolved humans tend to be more healthy later in life.

Makes one wonder about what else have we been evolving towards?
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2014 9:09:44 AM

sardines occasionally.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sardines and salmon with the bones are an excellent form of calcium.
One of the few canned foods I would recommend, just check for other ingredients that may be added such as ( but not limited to)inflammatory oils in the sardines.
Try (sardines) packed in hot sauce, olive oil or mustard over omega 6 oils.( soybean oil)

Besides calcium, they are abundant in protein, B vitamins, omega 3's, vitamin D, selenium,phosphorus and copper
 satx78218
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 6/14/2014 11:09:16 AM
mercury in the ocean get passed up the food chain and is resident in the bigger predatory fish (tuna, swordfish, etc).

So better to eat small fish like anchovies, mackerel, cod, sardines, etc. These are mostly wild, almost never farmed in toxic pens.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 6/27/2014 1:52:45 AM
I think the fact that most people get "backed up/clogged'" after eating more than a few bites of cheese would show we dont digest dairy very well( at the least).

Most women will say "just put it on my thighs or butt "when eating cheese regularly .
Most buy low fat versions.

Its not the fat in dairy that causes weight gain. No ups and downs in insulin when your dairy has natural saturated fat in it. It is only when you eat/drink lowfat dairy that blood sugar issues arise.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Thoughts on eliminating dairy,weight loss and effects on health?