Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > driving and dating can It really be hard?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Hamilton12345
Msg: 26
driving and dating can It really be hard?Page 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
^^^ Same here in Ontario (and most other provinces), only we call it the bar card!

We also have picture ID on our Healthcare Cards. Thanks to socialized medicine, border hopping and healthcare fraud it was necessary for the Province of Ontario to institute photo healthcare cards for anyone over 16.

So no driver's license, no problem with ID.
 mariet190
Msg: 27
driving and dating can It really be hard?
Posted: 12/12/2013 9:34:11 PM

Are people not asked for ID regularly in Canada? Or is there another form of ID that's more readily accepted?

We have a health card which is an accepted form of ID.
 Maleman999
Msg: 28
Posted: 12/13/2013 3:02:09 AM
Canadians going to the U.S. or other countries need a passport, so a lot of Canadians have passports, which is another piece of government issued ID.
 aanarchist
Msg: 29
Posted: 12/13/2013 3:20:31 PM
I don't drive either everything I need and do I have never needed a car for, and when the boys want to hang out it's always a car pooling. Some women don't like that and it's fine, their choice, their loss. I'm probably going to want a car soon myself but it won't do anything to change the type of women I'm attracted to. Idk how it is in other countries but in america people assume the worst unless your life matches up with the rest of the herd, outliers of any kind are shunned until they earn some sort of recognition.
 Beauregard63
Msg: 30
Posted: 12/13/2013 7:14:22 PM

Idk how it is in other countries but in america people assume the worst unless your life matches up with the rest of the herd, outliers of any kind are shunned until they earn some sort of recognition.

My experience with other cultures leads me to believe that "outliers" are more likely to be accepted in North America than they are in many other countries. Consider that fact that most people in North America had only been living here for a relatively short period of time compared to other countries where generations of their families have resided in pretty much the same location.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 31
Posted: 12/14/2013 8:07:58 AM

No I don't have that either

DUIs suck, don't they? How long do you have left on your suspension?

When I was a graduate student, I owned a Honda CH150 scooter. The thing was a fantastic machine. It was practically maintenance free. It cost me 2 gallons a WEEK in gas. (Yes, a week.) It could reach 65 mph (100 kmph) if I opened it full throttle. While others were paying thousands for insurance, I paid $120 a year. I could park it anywhere. I even locked it up to a few bicycle racks.

But no girl would date me. As long as she weighed less than 120, we could ride together, but no. I bought a Chevy Sh-tvette for $100. The thing leaked oil like a sieve. The upholstery was all ripped up. When I got it, a cat was living in it. I adopted the cat. I got laid within a month.

Welcome to the 21st century. Unless you want to date an Amish girl (And why not? They make fine quilts.), you need a car and license. It doesn't have to be a Lexus. But you need one.

So go get one. Best of luck.
 meoww207
Msg: 32
Posted: 12/23/2013 7:12:28 AM
I don't understand all the negative responses. Personally I think you have valid reasons and if you listed these reasons to me on a date, I would understand. Cars are expensive: the monthly payment, gas, insurance, etc. If you are happy living car-free and close enough to essentials, what is the problem? I dated someone for 3 years who didn't have a car, though he did have a license, but we lived close enough where I could pick him up within 5-10 minutes. If you meet the right person, they will understand and not judge you for it.
 ManOfAdventure28
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2013 7:58:31 AM
Driving and dating can it really be hard?? Yes.....because both require your full attention to gain optimum results so it's not advisable to try and multi-task.

As for walking over the oceans to see your date....wouldn't it just be easier to charter a boat? Or book a plane ticket? No one likes a show off and it will save on having to carry your luggage.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 34
Posted: 12/24/2013 11:06:45 AM
Well If you did read what I said I work like a ten minute walk from home and the main strip In Cambridge but I'm sure every one has their own opinon and when my dates ask me I'll tell them the same thing I'm not trying to be rude but you can wonder all you like It Is what It Is I'm a great guy and worth the drive.

I think you're centering everything around yourself. I'm in much the same boat with you, but my reasoning limits it to not getting a Nice car, despite my finances being more than just fine.

I live in a mid-sized city as well, and don't have to drive to work, while there's a 711, mini-grocery store, Subway, McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Dairy Queen, and two dive bars all within walking distance. You may say "why have a car?" Well, despite a bus stop being not too many yards away, I'm still going to drive downtown which is 1 mile away. Or drive to the big grocery store 5+ miles away. Drive to some friends' houses... or to parents' now and again. Or elsewhere. Not needing to drive as much as others isn't reason NOT to have a car.

You have to put hitching rides with others into perspective. It's annoying and a pain to have to pick people up. "Oh, we have to pick up Randy -- he doesn't have a car, that's right." Especially in the winter. Now, for the dating circuit? Your value goes down among strangers and plus, having a girl having to pick you up every time? Or standing out in the cold waiting for a cab or the bus?

At LEAST get a $500 beater car and fix it up a bit so it doesn't look abhorrent and doesn't make super-loud noise. If you can't do that, then that's a red flag.

I think where you're coming from would be OK if you lived with a GF where you're at, and you two shared a car because you didn't need to drive much. That would be a-okay. Otherwise, if you're single & independent, you'll need to get a car. If you can't afford a cheap beater at least -- it'll rightfully lower your singles-stock-price in the eyes of many.
 phule
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2013 12:13:38 PM
Amazing how quickly the thread devolved into a defensive action, pitting you against an outdated concept. In that first comment...

Call me old fashioned but a man not driving or having the freedom to drive is somehow more important than a woman choosing not to drive and it is a little more socially acceptable for the man to be the chauffeur.

The poster clearly acknowledges their idea is outdated (old-fashioned), and uses specific wording (man not driving versus woman choosing not to drive) to imply that a man cannot make a conscious choice not to drive like a woman can.

I'd say that in this day and age it is MORE suspicious if a woman doesn't drive, than if a man doesn't drive.

In New Orleans, a car is a detriment. There is no where to park it, and thieves will steal your beat-up Datsun B210 just to live in it. Yes... I had a roommate there around 2000, who owned an old Datsun B210 wagon. Someone stole it and lived in it for a few weeks. My Roommate spotted the car on the street, "stole" it back, and went to the police. The cops found the thief because they found homework left by the thief's kid in the back seat.... the homework had a first name, last name, and homeroom listed on it. So... in a city where your sub $200 beater isn't safe from being stolen, and it is easier to get around on foot or using public transportation, it is better not to bother with driving.

Having a car in Provincetown, MA is a detriment because again, there is no where to park it. Yes, you are at the end of the earth on Cape Cod, and you are 30 miles from the nearest town with a laundromat... but busing there is easier than having to get your car out of impound just to go shopping.

The list goes on. You don't need to live in a Major Metropolis to NOT need a car.

I understand that there is a difference between not having a license, and not having a car... and it took you a few posts to come out and admit that you didn't have a license. Yes, people are going to assume the worst as to WHY you don't have a license, because most people put so much stock in having one. Hell, they seem to assign FREEDOM to having one.

Are women going to shy away from you because you don't have a license and you don't drive? The tone of this thread proves that a majority of them will unfortunately.
 HippyDippyWeatherman
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 12/24/2013 5:34:09 PM
OP Just tell all your potential dates your saving up for a 2014 model car, just don't tell them you plan on buying it in 2024.
 TrueBlueLeafsFan
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/5/2014 3:14:23 PM
Sorry If this forum doesn't belong here but I cant post It on any more this site wont let me for some reason but why do women take so long to replay back I've been talking to a few women or was and I've waited a week and a little more for a reply's but they've been on line and have viewed my profile but still no reply back are they just playing games or Is It a little test?
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 38
Posted: 1/5/2014 3:39:00 PM
^^^
This thread you created is about vehicle ownership and how it impacts dating.
Respondents here will wish to talk about that particular aspect of dating....cars.

As far as your follow-up question...just do a POF Forum search on "response, answer, respond, responding" and similar keywords. You will see an endless volume of threads to read on the topic. Good luck.
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2014 6:04:35 PM
'''Sorry If this forum doesn't belong here but I cant post It on any more this site wont let me for some reason but why do women take so long to replay back I've been talking to a few women or was and I've waited a week and a little more for a reply's but they've been on line and have viewed my profile but still no reply back are they just playing games or Is It a little test? '''

they wont reply back, likely as you don't have wheels.
I have it noted in my profile
----have income of a sort, wheels and own place to live
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 40
Posted: 1/7/2014 12:06:05 PM

The list goes on. You don't need to live in a Major Metropolis to NOT need a car.

Yeah, living *IN* a metropolis many times isn't worth having a car. But the OP isn't living at all in a metropolis. He just has a great location. Problem is, if you can't even afford a $1,500 car when you're not spending much money on gasoline because you're not having to drive for everything day to day nor live miles away from work, when years past college age, you can't expect to be seen to have a lot of dating market value.

I've waited a week and a little more for a reply's but they've been on line and have viewed my profile but still no reply back are they just playing games or Is It a little test?

Seriously? Not to bash or anything, but this is an example of not knowing "what's up" -- kind of like not knowing why living in a mid-sized city yet not having a car would have an impact. But this is a separate issue, although the former possibly has some influence.

If they're not replying much, they're lacking interest. Ever go to a bar and get a girl's #? You text and it takes forever for her to respond? She's not playing "test games" with you. Lack of interest. How about when you text the gal and she always responds immediately, with nice long texts? And will initiate texts with you too, with lots of questions? Yeah, interested.

How responsive a woman is over a span of days/weeks is a solid measuring stick for actual Interest. You have to realize your question has been asked a BILLION times on here, which is why ya can't post it -- it's overdone, and obvious. It's just whining for most (not necessarily saying you). Many women, notably "good catches", are swarmed by many guys. You're just one of many in a stack of options she gets to dabble in.

Your car situation? If you can't comfortably afford a cheap $1,500-$2,500 reliable-but-not-fashionable car, it's going to lower your dating stock price when you're in your 30s. So you'll see more lack-of-interest gals on a site like POF where people (especially women in the online sausage fest) are more "stats on-paper" oriented.
 DameWrite
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 1/7/2014 7:22:20 PM
PurpleZebra12: No, here in canada the cops still have to have some kind of reason to pull you over or make you show your ID.

Arbitrary stops by the cops doesn't go well up here, so unless they see you doing something illegal or dangerous , (probable cause) they pretty much have leave you alone. (for now) or risk getting hauled into court on charges of harassment.

There are other photo ID options here. Student ID, military ID, provincial ID and passports. They must have a picture and current address.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 42
Posted: 1/9/2014 9:32:49 PM
Put it on your profile. Obviously you prefer the walk over buying a car.

You're going to get A LOT of rejection here because of it. It's just the nature of these sites. Don't hide something like that. It's a big point to way too many women, including some hypocrites that don't drive themselves. Take every rejection as a dodged bullet, because a girl who cares that much about if you have a car isn't going to work out with you anyway. They do exist, for a while I claimed I didn't have a car... Just keep looking, and talk to people you see on your walks, you'll find someone who doesn't care that you don't drive
 OutMind
Msg: 43
Posted: 1/10/2014 12:47:28 PM
Here are my too cents. Most women are going to find a guy without a car, that simply hangs out walking distance pubs and places as someone without ambition and will not want to date you. End of story. So, unless you get a car so you can venture out of your bubble, stick to finding the chics that live around you, or that are looking for that quaint little community.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/10/2014 1:00:48 PM
Outmind, my next suggestion was going to be for him to purchase a bicycle.
Yet we both know that might be more expensive choice than a decent used car!
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/10/2014 1:04:28 PM
LMAO! I just got a visual of a guy picking up a date on his bicycle.
 OutMind
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/10/2014 2:41:02 PM

Outmind, my next suggestion was going to be for him to purchase a bicycle.
Yet we both know that might be more expensive choice than a decent used car!

No kidding. My Look cost more than my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

But if you live in a super urban area, like we have here towards Downtown Atlanta, you have the single speeders. They have their urban subculture, clubs, and many do not have cars. So if the OP lived in a place like that, he would not need to drive. And the single speed chics are quite awesome.
 rockin-trucker82
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/11/2014 6:41:58 AM
Yeah. It does kind of depend on where you live. No matter how independent you are with no car, a woman sees it as she has to drive you everywhere... But let's be honest, it's that she expects you to drive her everywhere.

Read some of the old threads on the same topic, that's the summary of their responses: If she doesn't drive, is just because money is tight. If you don't drive, is because you're a deadbeat loser that expects her to do everything for you. If you're a man and don't drive, good luck meeting anyone here.

But there is hope. I'm convinced that these sites are made up almost completely off the bottom of the barrel of single people. I'm sure that you can meet lots of girls offline that really don't care either way if you drive
 TrueBlueLeafsFan
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/16/2014 4:53:39 PM
How many pictures should I have on my profile and out of the ones I have up now which ones should come down??
 Szaszaspasz
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 1/16/2014 6:38:20 PM
Though I'm not looking to meet anyone, them having a car or not, isn't a big issue. I would only have issues if I am called upon regularly to drive someone around while they ran errands. I'd want them to at least have a license so they can borrow my car and I'd give them cash to get my groceries while they were out because I hate grocery shopping. I have one friend that has her license, but no car. She does driving for a guy with a car but no license.
 Flurr
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 1/18/2014 5:53:42 PM
I'm in a similar boat with no car, I live close to everything and alot of people around here have ebikes but in Windsor its a sign of poverty haha. I sold my car to save money for a down payment on a house, once I know what's left over then I will know what kind of car I can afford. If a woman had a problem with that I would be MORE than happy if she lost interest, you can try and use that excuse if you like.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > driving and dating can It really be hard?