Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Broken Hearts  > The Appeal of Sad Songs      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BeachBikeHike
Msg: 25
The Appeal of Sad SongsPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
LOVE "Wonderful Tonight" bamagrl68 ^^^ What an awesome song :)

For me, the sadness trigger is George Michael's "Careless Whisper." When it came out in 1984, it was especially pertinent to my situation. Especially the line "Should've know better than to cheat a friend..."
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 26
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 10/20/2014 4:36:29 AM
The music industry just knows how to create something that estrogen responds strongly to. It's what they base most of their profits on. Enough are going through a particular situation (or feel strongly enough about it) that they will relate to it when it's released, while at the same time having each person feel like it's unique to them. Almost all of that is not an accident.
 basilisk123
Msg: 27
view profile
History
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 10/20/2014 7:09:29 AM
I really love sad songs that talk about emotional pain, the deeper the pain I hear from the artist, the more I identify with it.
Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt, was so absolutely amazing. It is definately my favorite sad song to date.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 28
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 10/20/2014 7:48:10 AM
My Immortal - Evanescence

My daughter introduced me to this song and it was sad back then; now that she has dropped off the map, even worse.
 mike11091
Msg: 29
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 10/20/2014 10:21:16 AM
I think THAT song (say something) is just good enough to inspire emotions. I've heard it before and I just started playing it again STILL watering eyes.

Also, Passenger-let her go.

By the way, just because we all agree doesn't make it less or more sane. Common, but it's not representative of sanity.
 NJgirl116
Msg: 30
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 4/17/2016 7:17:15 PM

The first (2nd/3rd time I heard it: tears). Whew. It just struck such a chord. I can hear it now without tears, but here's the odd thing - I find myself REALLY wanting it to come on while I'm driving.

I know... and now that we can download everything, we can have a sad song pity party every time we drive, if we want to. One of the saddest songs ever, "The Thrill Is Gone", is playing on my laptop right now. :-( Certain songs do strike a cord... I recently heard the electronic pop song "We All Need Someone to Lean On" and that one struck a cord.
 Laidbackguy1964
Msg: 31
The Appeal of Sad Songs
Posted: 6/1/2017 1:57:11 PM
REM - Mad World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCcYdB839p8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Hurt
Johnny Cash

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain