Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 251
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating Page 11 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

On the bonus, I used to have at the very end of my profile tat my weirdest most prized possession was a star ship enterprise pizza cutter, and anyone who referenced it got brownie points :)]/quote]

I see it all the time at the local comic shop and the Think Geek website. lol
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 252
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating
Posted: 1/19/2014 5:01:14 AM

I tend to think of "professional" as anything that requires a lot of training - not a job that just anybody could walk into and learn the basics in a few days and the rest in a couple of weeks. Invariably I will tend to think "graduate" and "highly skilled" when somebody says they are Professional.

^^^^I did not think of it like that, and you know what! You would be correct! and I like it! Works for me :)
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 253
Posted: 1/19/2014 5:47:44 AM
Professional is the easiest thing to put. IF someone wants to see that as highbrow and snarky (or a few who thought that meant lady of the evening LOL), then it's a small price to pay rather than trying to explain in less than fifteen minuts what I actually do.

Speaking of which, I had seen a woman in my area emphasize in her profile that she is a "professional" and will NOT date someone who is not.

Her profession listing is "Private Banker", not sure entirely what the "private" part of "Private" banker. I found out online (Google is great, lol), that such a banker is one of a non-commercial variety. Basically, I'm thinking an independently owned bank that's not part of a chain of banks like Bank of America, but more along the lines of JP Morgan.

Which is funny, because they've gone to the point of going from door to door to find banking clientele in neighborhoods. Not how that makes the job "professional", considering I've mistaken them for Jehaovah witnesses considering they were dressed nicely, lol...then I saw the JP Morgan business card stuck into the door jam. lol Or was it Morgan Stanley? Not sure.

That being said, I think she may be over glorifying her job.

In this area, it's primarily service industry/blue collar work, so may be that's why she's been on this site for so long. lol

Anyhow the word "Professional" can be left up to interpretation. Some think just because they dress nicely for work and in an office environment makes them a professional.

Some may interpret being professional depending on how much of an expert they are in their profession, even if it's of a blue collar variety.
 Flurr
Msg: 254
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:03:57 AM
The horrible grammar blows my mind!!! It doesn't have to be perfect but when a run-on sentence turns into a paragraph.......
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 255
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:08:20 AM
Ladies, I can only speak for myself here...but count me in for a nipple shot, no bra (or half a bra) needed as I can visually picture you with a bra on ;)
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 256
Posted: 1/19/2014 6:46:13 AM

Ladies, I can only speak for myself here...but count me in for a nipple shot, no bra (or half a bra) needed as I can visually picture you with a bra on ;)

Jerry Seinfeld (Looking at Christmas card): I dunno...but I think I seeee....a nipple.

Elaine: *Gasp* GET OUT!! *Pushes Jerry* lol
 OutMind
Msg: 257
Posted: 1/19/2014 9:04:35 AM

In the context of how good of a catch -- even more. You'll have your own personal preferences, of course. Everyone does. Nobody's personal preferences are going to be a bullseye on exactly what that person's stock-value is in society as a whole. But it's usually going to be within ballpark range. If you don't care about 'leagues' in this context -- you don't care about looks or basic level of financial status. Which is never the case -- everyone cares. And too many people downplay it (to themselves).

I am one of those that have stated not to believe in Leagues, yet confident-realist makes very good points. So I would agree that they are more like lifestyles choices. To some women, how financially successful the guy is important, to some other women is not. Both women can be incredibly hot and have those as choices.

For instance in my case. I like skinny women. Can't help it. And quite frankly I do get away with dating them. There has been some curvy women before, but they exercised a lot and looked fantastic. One of the reasons I don't tend to believe in leagues is because I am rather average looking. I am not a great looking guy, but somehow I can attract women. Why? I don't know why, other than I do not let anything stop me from approaching women that I find desirable. With that said, if I spot a woman that has that gold digger written all over, I don't even approach.

There's also the gym rat. She is super fit, even competes and tends to go for the meat head guys at the gym. Not my type. The girl that plays a lot of golf and tennis for some odd reason are not my type either. Yet, regardless of looks the runner girl, tri girl, swimmer girl, hiker girl, woodsy type of girl, yoga and aerobic type of girl and I get along awesome.

Are those leagues or just lifestyle choices? I don't know.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 258
Posted: 1/19/2014 12:01:02 PM

So if you are a professional by profession, then does your vast experience with your craft make you a professional professional??

Absolutely Aanarchist!!! "My....my....aren't you bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning!" The professional professional professed in a professional manner..... ;)
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 259
Posted: 1/19/2014 12:56:51 PM

I tend to think of "professional" as anything that requires a lot of training - not a job that just anybody could walk into and learn the basics in a few days and the rest in a couple of weeks. Invariably I will tend to think "graduate" and "highly skilled" when somebody says they are Professional.

Yes -- congrats -- you help contribute to Hijacking the term! :) It does not mean that at all. Yes, in essence it means "higher class" to many. That's why they'll use the term instead of "Nice Job" or "Employed". To them, it is different when used by itself alone -- a little "posh" flavoring.

Problem is, that's not what it Does mean. So yeah, re-defining a general term as a specific is a pet peeve of mine, especially when there's a bit of nose-in-the-air to it. It'd be the same as people hijacking the term Employed to mean "elite". Really? You have a stable job and you're now jumping on the bandwagon to give yourself some passive 'elite' flavor? (Rolling Eyes)

So if you are a professional by profession, then does your vast experience with your craft make you a professional professional??

LOL -- Exactly.

Bob: "So, what do you do?"
Sally: (flipping scarf) "I'm Experienced"
Bob: ."... an experienced...?"
Sally: "Yeah, I'm Experienced." (rolling the wine in her glass)
Bob: "Soo, you have too much to drink there Sally?"
Sally: "No, Bob, haha, I just don't think you get it. What us better class people understand is that it means we have a better class profession."
Bob: "Okay, better class profession than who?"
Sally: "Better class as I'm a ProfessionAL. Surely you know what that means..."
Bob: "Well, now we're back to where we started. An experienced what? A professional what? Plumber? Hair-cutter? A professional teacher? A professional secretary?"
Sally: "Who's on first?"
Bob: "You're nuts!"
Sally: "Nuts? I cannot be a handful of nuts. Now You're not making any sense. Those are things for blue collar people to eat at an un-professional place. I am an adult now who has moved on to better things!"

I am one of those that have stated not to believe in Leagues, yet confident-realist makes very good points.

I can understand not paying attention to "leagues" so much, and not to let it get to over-think the details if that ruins one's mindset/game, etc. But if one's esteem can handle it, it's good awareness for expectations and understanding, at least on the wide-differential scales. But they exist, whether one Likes them or not. One could argue that they don't really exist when you get into the too-fine of details about it, which I would agree (although something could be "too detailed" to one person be not so detailed to another).

One of the reasons I don't tend to believe in leagues is because I am rather average looking.

I think a lot of people don't Believe in leagues is to prevent it from ruining their game or esteem or whatever. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, right? I get that. However, whether one's mall-watching or involved themselves in engaging the opposite sex, the concept of one person being a better catch than another does exist. It doesn't mean there's some solid difference between any two people -- not at all.

It's just there can be. And also different types. I mean, if one were to Literally Believe there's no such thing as a wide difference in looks/stock-value between any two people on the earth -- that would be saying looks don't matter and it's purely random and no different than one's favorite color. We all know it doesn't work that way. BUT I can understand not letting one's mind fixated on the concept.

There's also the gym rat. She is super fit, even competes and tends to go for the meat head guys at the gym. Not my type. .... Are those leagues or just lifestyle choices? I don't know.

That's Type, not dating stock-value in and of itself (which 'league' level refers to). You could be out of a gal's league who's a gym-rat or yoga-freak, but you still wouldn't be a good match anyway, and she could not be that into you because of the Type of person she is. Or she could be out of your league and you still wouldn't want to get into a Relationship as you two don't mesh.

Just because you don't like a gal or she doesn't like you, doesn't mean one's out of the other's league. It's just one's dating stock-value, generally speaking. It's moot concept much of the time, because much of the time, you'll see people within the same range banter with each other anyway. And just because the gal's a little better looking than the guy? That's not a 'league' difference. League difference is a wide difference between. Like a great looking 25 year-old gal flirting at a party with a pudgy, balding, short 45-year-old guy with a gut that stretches out his stained tshirt from the early 80s. "OH! He's a musician! Okay, that's why... makes sense now."
 OutMind
Msg: 260
Posted: 1/20/2014 6:48:28 AM
I don't know. According to Hollywood and the media. A professional is a hired killed, or so it was in a movie. They usually say "Hey, Chuck, time to call in a professional."

Or when the sh it hits the fan and they are about to get killed. "Don't worry about it, they're professionals."

Also in the world of sport, when something really bad happens and they get up and get back into the action, then the announcer says, "they deal with this all the time, that's why they are the professionals and make the big bucks."

Now if someone says "She's of the profession." Well it means the oldest profession. There there's the "well, she is going pro." Which means she was an amateur in some sport and now she has sponsors and it going pro.

Did I miss anything?
 usmale6
Msg: 261
Posted: 1/20/2014 8:02:57 AM
Technically, isn't a professional someone who is licensed by a state, federal, or local, government? I suspect the term is used too loosely.... I suspect many who call themselves professionals are simply executives or "white collar".

Also, I'm not so sure being a professional is all it's cracked up to be... do you know that industries that are heavily regulated such as Insurance and Real Estate got that way because of fraud in the past - it's not so impressive when you look at it that way! And why are doctors put on such a high pedestal? They make decent salaries, but not spectacular, and are always complaining about not having enough time. Plus, who wants to stick their hand into body cavities of strangers?! The job does not look so glamorous now, does it?! Lot's people are into status!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 262
Posted: 1/20/2014 11:12:11 AM
Technically, isn't a professional someone who is licensed by a state, federal, or local, government?

No, not technically... but as a noun: "a person engaged or qualified in a profession.". As an adjective: "engaged in a specified activity as one's main paid occupation rather than as a pastime."

If one says they're a professional plumber they're someone who is currently working as a plumber as their full-time job, or maybe not but they're an officially licensed plumber (but maybe has been doing electric instead for a while).

Technically, I guess, with a license in something, in that context, you could call yourself (adjusting collar) a "Professional", even though you're UnEmployed! OR it means you're someone engaged in a profession.

But a profession? It assumes it's something that is career-oriented, not just "I need some extra cash and picked this up." I can see one being a little more strict in the definition of "profession" in which requires some training & qualification. But then again, most jobs, even ones a lot of people scoff at wearing their scaaawwf do too. And being settled into a job for a while as their career fulfilling that as well.

I suspect many who call themselves professionals are simply executives or "white collar".

Yeah, I agree that it's the meaning behind the solo, generic word (flipping hair back) "Professional". However, the "Young Professionals" meet-up thing, there are secretaries who show up and are a part of it. No license, nor any huge qualifications. It's just white-collar-oriented. I think it's more of a cultural/sub-cultural generic label.

But "Professional" many times implies something else, like "I am good at what I do, I've been doing it for years" -- which does not require it being white-collar at all. More like bragging how Good/Qualified/Seasoned they are at whatever they do, not how good the sub-cultural atmosphere is in what they do (white-collar).

It's just open-ended and IMO, totally Cheesy to use that term by itself like it many times is. In essence, all it's real meaning is, is one has a FT job. That's it. "What's your profession?" "A professional! (ding) I'm a full-time job person!" "Good for you! You're special and high-class!"
 DragonBits
Msg: 263
Posted: 1/21/2014 5:59:19 AM
I love the ironic nature of most people's profiles.

Nice guy is sure to go on a rant, down to earth girl means needs diamonds to make her happy. It's nearly a sure thing.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 264
Posted: 1/21/2014 9:33:45 AM

I love the ironic nature of most people's profiles.

Nice guy is sure to go on a rant, down to earth girl means needs diamonds to make her happy. It's nearly a sure thing.

*face palm*, what have you done Dragon? lol

Let's revise that:

Nice guy is sure to run into some difficulty with women which will prompt him to feel conflicted because...well... theory doesn't meet practice sometimes. That's life. Some rants are healthy, its a sign that you're alive, you have an issue with things you don't consider to be right, you put in some good vibes and not crap out of it.

Down to earth girl can do without the diamonds but why should she? Why can't she get diamonds? What is the problem? She shouldn't need or want diamonds just because she is down to earth? See, I have a different view on "down to earth girl", this girl does not NEED much and can do without many things, and such a quality makes most men give such a woman the world, even if she can do without the bells and whistles of it all. It's about appreciation, she may not need one more of anything, but you'd give it to her because you appreciate her. What some men do is take such a woman for granted because down to earth equals low maintenance to some, so no effort is made.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 265
Posted: 1/21/2014 10:46:03 AM
It was just the wrong recipient Wolves
 DragonBits
Msg: 266
Posted: 1/21/2014 11:05:34 AM

Down to earth girl can do without the diamonds but why should she? Why can't she get diamonds?

So I guess you like diamonds?

Partly a play on words, diamonds being found in the dirt.

I would rather give someone the money than buy diamonds, intellectually I don't liked diamonds since they can be created artificially and in reality are far cheaper and more common than what people realize. And I know the retail price is at least 3 times what it goes for wholesale. I feel like a sucker if I buy a diamond.

A down to earth woman may want children a house, etc, not really low maintenance , and not everything is about money.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 267
Posted: 1/21/2014 1:01:57 PM

So I guess you like diamonds?

No, I'm not a fan of diamonds. I like pearls, they are classic and elegant. I also like high grade sterling silver (.925).

Partly a play on words, diamonds being found in the dirt.

I like that.

intellectually I don't liked diamonds since they can be created artificially and in reality are far cheaper and more common than what people realize. And I know the retail price is at least 3 times what it goes for wholesale. I feel like a sucker if I buy a diamond.

Smart man. I get the same feeling when I go to Starbucks but I still enjoy it going down my throat, lmao

A down to earth woman may want children a house, etc, not really low maintenance , and not everything is about money.

I don't see the relationship between these variables but don't mind me, I haven't slept much.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 268
Posted: 1/21/2014 1:24:26 PM
I'm pretty sure ^^^[professional=having FT job] this isn't one of them. If this were true, and anyone with a full time job called themselves a "professional", then the word professional would be meaningless.

It IS actually true, though. Anyone who has a profession, which can be everything from a trash man to a stock boy to a cheesy Just-Call-Saul lawyer to high-class-in-high-rise lawyer.

It is pretty much a meaningless term. Definitely meaningless if being an answer to the question "What do you do for a living?" It's not answering the question, it's the same thing as saying "I have a full time job." That's why I not just say, but point out that it's Hijacked in urban-slang-turned-too-standard. :)

I think it comes from the slang "pro" -- in the context of answering how good someone is saying "He's a pro" -- meaning he's awesome at it. People want to feel special, even if in a somewhat subtle way -- a little chip on the shoulder -- so they take what essentially means "FT Worker" to mean in a more subtle sense, "I'm awesome at it" or "I've moved up in the world (ding)". :)

Nice guy is sure to run into some difficulty with women which will prompt him to feel conflicted because...well... theory doesn't meet practice sometimes.

I think for the (classic) Mr Nice Guy, I think it's the other way around -- theory only sometimes, at best, meets practice -- but a vast majority of the time, not. Vast majority meaning when he reaches out to girls who are more social and attractive. If he's chasing librarians, theory will meet practice more. :)

Down to earth girl can do without the diamonds but why should she? Why can't she get diamonds? What is the problem?

If they're Required to make her happy, as the original statement said, then there is a spoiled-brat problem with said type of person (I guess a guy too could be that way about diamonds specifically).

But a Real down to earth girl won't need diamonds to make her happy -- definitely not ones showered to her by a guy she's involved with.

I think the statement you're referring to is implying that a self-described "down to earth girl" is someone who ends up being not really down to earth in so many ways, but wanting to be pampered and such through a channel of traditionalism... where being "traditional" to them means being taken cared for & provided for, and since being " traditional"not some partier or whatever, they will call themselves "down to earth" (which I disagree with of course).

But I will disagree that a self-described "down to earth" girl isn't going to be wanting diamonds or have their arse wiped by a guy (which is Not down to earth). But I could see some like that I guess from certain backgrounds thinking that's part of "settling down (to earth)".
 BLONDGIRL2013
Msg: 269
Posted: 1/22/2014 11:41:48 AM
s So,... there for there No C h e m i s t r y / No Interest at least for me i wont feel No vibe and great chemistry eventually i'll will get bored and wont be itnerested in pursuing future dates with that person
There ( Is ) ( A l ot ) of people ( Al w a ys ) wait for the other person to ask them question even just come out and revealthings about themselves But they Just sit there A l w a ys waiting for the other person to S t a r t
A n D keep the chat going and ask them question thier Much toooo INsecure by just not start the chat asking Intelligent interesting questions ( W i t h ) Re vealing a variety of interesting & Personal things about themselves
So there for people like myself W i l l ) evventually get bored and Will lose interest A nd wont be interested in future dates / meeting s
 OutMind
Msg: 270
Posted: 1/22/2014 12:09:18 PM
We could turn just about anything into a respected, cool profession.

Culinary analist = Waiter
Byproduct procurement specialist = Garbage man
Treasury handler = Cashier
Detachment controller = Bus boy
 abmccray
Msg: 271
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2014 12:25:01 PM
The etymology of professional comes from around the 18th century to divide those with skilled-and-learned-for-the-time professions as compared to people who did just was determined as labor. It is too varied of a term to get much use now because very few people want to be known as a laborer and will not describe themselves as such.

<div class="quote"> And why are doctors put on such a high pedestal? They make decent salaries, but not spectacular, and are always complaining about not having enough time. Plus, who wants to stick their hand into body cavities of strangers?! The job does not look so glamorous now, does it?! Lot's people are into status!

Because their job, especially as a specialist, takes more years of training than most other jobs. Less people have the ability to be a doctor than a janitor. So it's more praised. It's not about salary.

Scarcity breeds respect.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 272
Posted: 1/22/2014 1:27:47 PM
CR,

I agree with your nice guy analogy.

In terms of down to earth, my point is that just because she doesn't need it, it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to give it to her. I was not speaking of deception of coming out as if down to earth when in reality just not saying you still crave/need said items (that's passive I think).

I'll tell you a story....(not that you needed any):

I've been in places where many things are irrelevant (nice clothes, handbags, make up, shoes, hair done, money , etc). Where you have to walk miles to get some water and carry it back. Where you walk to farms (to buy or trade for meat) and plant vegetable or climb trees to get fruits and veggies. Where there is no running water and you take cold showers,in the backyard if you call that a shower. Where the bathroom is a latrine and you have walk to get there and be very nifty to not fall down the hole while holding your breath. Where you don't need shoes because everything is dirt, you walk on earth, you sleep on the floor or on a little bit of straw. Where rain is a blessing and is refreshing and you get dry in 7 minutes because it's so hot and mud is your sunscreen. No such thing as hot water, stove, running water, pantry, fridge, washing machine, etc. I didn't know what to expect when I went the first time, but I got used to it, it's very peaceful, spiritual, and it gets easier over time. It's a very humbling experience.

I've also gone to places where I had to hire a native and a body guard because I could die or be assaulted if I turned the wrong corner, got in the wrong car, etc I had wear extremely plain clothes just to survive, not ever wear jewelry even if fantasy, never had a purse, and never stop to give anyone the time. Blending in is tough when you've had a different lifestyle.

That I've been to places like that and will continue to go (sometimes you need re-connect with what really matters), does not mean that I want to do away with everything and live everyday as a surprise. It just means that I can survive any situation and know how to live with nothing, not that would prefer to do that. Material things are not a need, they just make us more comfortable, and I like comfort.

So back to the diamonds, it's not that she needs them, it's that it's nice to have. What is wrong with that?
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 273
Posted: 1/22/2014 1:29:57 PM
Mine is a systems applications specialist in the a/e industry...

professional is easier than IT (which makes people think programmer which I'm not) or consultant (which I am, but which people think of as 2 hour a day part time with golf fluff job, which mine VERY much isn't).

I will keep saying it, and anyone who considers it a fluffy hair flipping over the shoulder ridiculous word rather than a way to avoid fifteen minute blank stares when I try and describe my profession is more than welcome to pass me by :)
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 274
Posted: 1/22/2014 10:52:44 PM

Culinary analist = Waiter

LOL. OMG, that being your first one in your list, I thought you were going off on another tangent (analyst vs analist)! Culinary Anal-ist -- OMG. Pronouncing it that way, as a "Culinary Anal-ist" makes it sound like a waiter is someone who loves serving food up someone's anus! (or anal-cunnilingus?).

But going back to your list, I'll add a couple "normal" ones that go a bit over the top:
Executive Assistant = Secretary
VP of Northwest Sales = Manager of the salesmen in the NW office (who's the president of them? NOBODY! It's VP everything now)

The etymology of professional comes from around the 18th century to divide those with skilled-and-learned-for-the-time professions as compared to people who did just was determined as labor

Well, here's the thing... Professional = one who holds a profession. It's a word determined by what "profession" means. I think the word "profession" may have been applied/used differently over 200+ years ago, sure... hence "professional".

I don't mind the slang in a certain context like "Oh... he's a professional," when it's in question how good someone is. It's the same as saying, "Oh, it's His profession." In that context it implies he's Good at what that profession is.

But nobody doubts "professional plumber" is 100% accurate, yet in the 18th century, that comparable "level" of job may not have been called (flipping scarf) a "profession".

The rolling of my eyes is that when one hijacks the word "Professional" -- as a noun in and of itself to describe what/who they are -- essentially a white-collar Person -- they're implicitly telling others who don't fit that general "class" that no, you're Not a professional anymore. THIS is what it means now.

In terms of down to earth, my point is that just because she doesn't need it, it doesn't mean that it wouldn't be nice to give it to her.

No, I agree. I was just going off on a bit of a tangent in response to what you said "She shouldn't need or want diamonds just because she is down to earth?" My point is (which I should have discerned more clearly) is that there's a big Difference between NEED VS merely would like them -- the latter as you just said -- would be nice to have, sure.

Sometimes the difference can be difficult to make, and sometimes the person doesn't know themselves. They can think "oh, it'd be nice to have" on the outside, but underneath, it's more of a Demand/Need. I wouldn't call that "earthy". So I was just responding to PART of what you originally said -- No, "earthy" means she shouldn't Need them. Would like them? Yeah, who wouldn't like diamonds -- nobody's going to toss them in the trash! :)

Material things are not a need, they just make us more comfortable, and I like comfort.

I agree. An earthy person is someone who doesn't need much material things, and don't need things as big-scale like 65" TVs, diamonds, etc. Or have a "pull" to want any of those high-end things much...

So back to the diamonds, it's not that she needs them, it's that it's nice to have. What is wrong with that?

Nothing. I totally agree with the Not Need. :) So to answer the question "She shouldn't need (or want) diamonds just because she's down to earth?" No, she shouldn't have a Need for diamonds if she's a down to earth gal. Like them? Sure!
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 275
Posted: 1/23/2014 1:46:06 AM
How about in the "About Me" section...it's TOTALLY left blank. I thought POF didn't allow that.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating