Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 301
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating Page 13 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)
When their first message is 3 paragraphs long, like they copied and pasted their profile or their life story. That's way too much for a first message and it's all about them.

Interesting, in fact that's what actually got responses to my emails. Of course, I didn't copy and paste, so may that's what made the difference. It was ALL original.

I think I shocked a couple of women into first meets based on my ability to articulate and form words as opposed to the short, uninteresting or undesirable emails they've been receiving as the norm. lol
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 302
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating
Posted: 1/25/2014 1:21:47 PM

The reason such a woman would be high maintenance has nothing to do with the amount of time she spent in the bathroom getting ready or how she applies makeup.

It has everything to do with her not respecting other people and likely she actually enjoys being late, because she likes the idea of knowing other people are waiting for them.

That's another flavor of high-maintenance (emotionally speaking). But trust me, there are women who are not trying to be fashionably late -- but instead, take forever on every meticulous thing before going out. A classic metrosexual guy the same way. I have a few buddies like that, and had GFs like that. They aren't always trying to be fashionably late. But yes, if they are, that's also high-maintenance (emotional version).

Ginger is not terribly high maintenance. I'd choose her over Mary Ann. Mrs. Howell is the high maintenance one.

Well, just because Mrs. Howell is more high-maintenance doesn't mean Ginger isn't. :) A gal who needs to get done up and look pretty on a deserted island every day, with her persona to back it up -- is high maintenance. Mrs. Howell has her beat, yes, and would win the award on the island.

Ginger/Maryanne, either would be nice, but alas this is POF, Mrs. Howell anyone??!?

Very true! Although a better version on POF would be Mrs. Howell with 3 kids she's raising purely on her own.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 303
Posted: 1/25/2014 1:52:45 PM
who says getting ready has to take a ton of time?

I can be ready in fifteen minutes including shower, hair makeup shoes the works. Dated a guy who never took less than 90 minutes JUST to shower.

And yet if he had to wait fifteen seconds for someone else he'd lose his mind.
 DragonBits
Msg: 304
Posted: 1/26/2014 7:11:41 AM

But trust me, there are women who are not trying to be fashionably late -- but instead, take forever on every meticulous thing before going out.

I thought my point was obvious. If it takes X hours to get ready, then start X hour earlier to get ready and be on time.

Just being meticulous about your appearance maybe a sign of a perfectionist or something else, but being meticulous and always being late at showing up, making others wait on you is controlling and insecure.

If one is often late, then there is another psychological reason for this, your description suggest insecurity and wants others to wait on them, they get some sort of pleasure over this.
 Walts
Msg: 305
Posted: 1/26/2014 11:22:03 AM
Got another one.

Women, in my age group, that put pics of themselves up with their young sweet looking daughters.

Very confusing for a perverted dirty old man.

And we can't have that, can we?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 306
Posted: 1/26/2014 11:46:11 AM
Another Pet Peeve ...personally, I prefer viewing photos of the man alone without others in the photo. One of my gay friends had me look at his profile on another dating site. He had some really nice photos. He had a photo where he was standing next to a really pretty woman. I said, "why do you need a photo with this pretty girl in it?" He replied with a big smile on his face, "it doesn't matter, I'm gay." Ahhhhh, a perfect response I might add....touché !
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 307
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:26:37 PM
^^^

actually, went with a good friend of mine to a gay guy's club, it was the first time I'd been there and it was all gay men...

and the guy is 6'5 and extemely rnice looking but when we walked in he got MOBBED. At first he turned beet red, then he got this huge smile... and after four hours of him getting absolutely mauled I asked him if that was typical for him there. I had usually seen him where he was on the conservative side; and these people were FRIENDLY.

He said it had never, ever been like that for him there before, and he'd been there fifty times. Apparently a gay guy showing up with a curvy redhead is a siren call to make sure every aggressive gay guy makes absolutely sure he's not switching teams.

and holy cow. AFter that he wanted me to go on purpose as his wing woman because he got ten times more action with me there than without me. So if your friend is like that, he could be getting action by putting that pic in to get those responses from the guys who are worried he's switching teams :)

VVV

uh hun? YOu don't need a wig; you are drop dead gorgeous exactly as you are.
You should take your friend up on it; it is FUNNY watching the vultures swoop in :)
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 308
Posted: 1/26/2014 12:43:16 PM
^^^^Now it all makes sense, now I get why my gay friend was telling me I'd look good in a long red haired wig and wondering if I was free next weekend.....? Hmmmmm...very interesting.....! :)
====
Another pet peeve albeit minor: really creepy Halloween costume photos.....not something that sparks my interest.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 309
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:22:47 PM
Interesting DH2 regarding men with others in their photos. I found a woman's profile that said if she didn't see a guy's friends in his photos, then she assumed the guy had no friends, which is a red flag for her.

We chatted a bit and I told her that I work with my friends 12 hours a day. I have no burning need to see them more then that.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 310
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:34:36 PM

...personally, I prefer viewing photos of the man alone without others in the photo

Clearly, it's a personal preference. I would imagine at our age, we all have friends, some friends, a few friends, ok at least one friend! I find it ridiculous that someone would note on a profile that "no photos with friends means you have no friends." ABSURD! :) If I saw that in a guy's profile, I'd consider it a red flag for him and onto the next profile! If he wants to see photos of me and my friends, he will need to date me a little while.
=
Here's another pet peeve: when people note ridiculous statements such as "no photos with friends means you have no friends."
 TOaks91360
Msg: 311
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:39:01 PM
I just thought that was so odd a thing to say.

I actually was told on a date that a man with no female friends was a red flag. Bizarre indeed.
 traveltrekker
Msg: 312
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:51:29 PM

I found a woman's profile that said if she didn't see a guy's friends in his photos, then she assumed the guy had no friends, which is a red flag for her.

Bad assumption.
My friend just happens to invisible......6 feet tall........a rabbit........goes by the name Harvey.
 Nj2ut
Msg: 313
Posted: 1/26/2014 1:57:27 PM
I think I'm going to gather two or three of my married guy friends and take a group photo to prove I have friends. Of course they will need to hold up there ring fingers so the woman looking at the photo knows their off the market and I'm the only option.

To be completely honest there's been a few times I've been tempted to message a woman to inquire about her friend in the photo of here. I've only done this once(sorta). The woman was at a club or bar and she was sitting next to her female friend on a couch. Well the friend was in a dress and you could see her underwear in the shot. I just sent her a message and told her about the pic and left it at that.

Today I was looking at another profile and it's her and another guy....the guy was straight grabbing her breast. That's what every guy wants to see.

I need someone to explain to me...what's the deal with women sticking their tongues out in their photos. I'll go through 5 ads and at at least one of 1out of 5 will have the tongue sticking out. Is it women in my area or what?
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 314
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:13:37 PM
NJ2UT: Yeah, maybe you could take a photo with me, so I can post it to show I have "male friends."
====

Well the friend was in a dress and you could see her underwear in the shot. I just sent her a message and told her about the pic and left it at that.

Was this a semi-Basic Instinct shot? (you'll get that if you know the movie)

what's the deal with women sticking their tongues out in their photos

I have no clue why women would do this.....some men do this as well. Maybe they don't like taking photos or there is a hidden message somewhere....?

Here's another pet peeve: Now that I've seen numerous women's profiles because I was curious what guys were talking about. Why on earth would women put up skanky photos....I saw this woman photo where she was pulling her jeans downward....what is she saying "come and get it?" and the same woman noted how she is not into hook-ups, one night stands, etc... Really???
=
But I guess if she is a "pretty" woman with skanky photos, guys will message her anyways....?
==

Bad assumption. My friend just happens to invisible......6 feet tall........a rabbit........goes by the name Harvey

May I count my shadow as my friend, but only on sunny days. :)
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 315
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:30:57 PM

I need someone to explain to me...what's the deal with women sticking their tongues out in their photos. I'll go through 5 ads and at at least one of 1out of 5 will have the tongue sticking out. Is it women in my area or what?

ONE woman looked cute doing that, then everyone thinks they also going to look cute, so everyone is doing their own version.

Same goes for women (and men) taking pictures looking away from the camera, (like on purpose), or women sticking their middle finger out, or taking a picture while wasted.

SOMEWHERE, SOMEONE looked cute doing all this, and everyone followed. Now the trend is to post pictures of their eye make up done, I'm done....lol

I don't "get" pictures with attitudes, like how is that welcoming?
 Nj2ut
Msg: 316
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:43:40 PM
DH2...we can photoshop each other into a few photos. I'll put in the caption..."me and my sister".

The photo was pretty much Basic Instinct but I don't think it was intentional. I did feel awkward sending her the message.

Giving the finger in a photo is a big no in my book. I can look past the tongue sticking out pic but not someone giving the finger.
 TOaks91360
Msg: 317
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:48:45 PM
Yep, those skanky photos are insulting, assuming all men want that only. I wonder how many men were offered that?

One woman's profile said she wanted a 'man of the world'. A 'leader of men'.

She was scantily clad.

I asked her if she had any business attire because saran wrap wasn't allowed at my presentations...
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 318
Posted: 1/26/2014 2:54:39 PM
NJ2UT: that would be hilarious.....but I think I'll use the caption...."me and my brother....from another mother" :)
You probably did that woman a favor by sending a message noting the undies....no harm in that :)
==
Yep! Giving the finger is a HUGE pet peeve! No doubt about it......especially if the person is staring right into the camera, essentially looking at you while giving the finger. RIDONCULOUS!
==
I wonder if this is a pet peeve for online daters who smoke:
Do smokers care if people post various photos of them smoking? Personally, I don't care seeing pictures where guys are puffing, inhaling, etc...but I could be biased since I don't smoke. One photo I saw this guy puffed out a "smoke ring."
He was tooo cool..... ;) kidding.
==

In my experience from messaging a few of these women, and getting to know them a bit, there was nothing else they really had to offer, too much ex drama, young kids package deal, no income, no car, sex is their only bargaining chip, and most times that's not even enough to outweigh the rest...also I think the longer they're on here, the more provocative their photos seem to get over time

Interesting....!
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 319
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2014 3:40:17 PM

In my experience from messaging a few of these women, and getting to know them a bit, there was nothing else they really had to offer, too much ex drama, young kids package deal, no income, no car, sex is their only bargaining chip, and most times that's not even enough to outweigh the rest...also I think the longer they're on here, the more provocative their photos seem to get over time.

And some only have brains to offer...

Let's see brains or body, knowledge or sex appeal...decisions decisions
 Walts
Msg: 320
Posted: 1/26/2014 4:08:20 PM

I found a woman's profile that said if she didn't see a guy's friends in his photos, then she assumed the guy had no friends, which is a red flag for her.

Hmmmm.

I think I better go find some pics of me, my bottles, and my rod.

Fishing rod, sillies!
 activemelaney
Msg: 321
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2014 9:27:11 PM
^^^^ Walts

You should have posted a photo of your scout troop as a kid, the crowd inside a football stadium or whatever.

One wonders, what set of variable in someone's life led to such demands.

My boyfriend said he got a kick out of women who wrote ...'Must like cats'...or 'Must like horses'. He joked that most guys are somewhat neutral on the both but what would tip the scales is how attractive she was. Good looking...'yes, I like horses'. There was one profile of a woman that said ...'Must like to water ski and play Scrabble. Good thing she wasn't too specific!
 cooldog65
Msg: 322
view profile
History
Posted: 1/27/2014 2:47:27 AM
Got another one.

Women, in my age group, that put pics of themselves up with their young sweet looking daughters.

Very confusing for a perverted dirty old man.

And we can't have that, can we?

Walts...I have seen a few of those myself. What's on the menu tonight...MILF or DILF?

I scrolled through some profiles and found some interesting things. Every profile that had provocative pictures had the same "No one night stands, booty calls, etc...". In my opinion, these women have probably had a lot of pump and dump experiences or they don't want to admit they're down for the booty call to weed out the undesirables. The pictures always speak louder than the words.

I found one exception when I was scrolling. She wanted no strings attached sex as long as her boyfriend can watch and you supply him weed. She had the classic doggy style pose from the rear. Not surprising at all.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 323
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:17:30 AM
harmony,

Another Pet Peeve ...personally, I prefer viewing photos of the man alone without others in the photo

Well, I hope that's not an actual Pet Peeve. I can understand not ALL his pictures being ones with others, and I could see how certain motifs with others could be a Pet Peeve (him photo-bombing people, him with a girl(s), on a boat partying).

But it's pretty standard that if one wishes to maximize their profile on a dating website, to put a picture or two with other people. It solidly helps, statistically speaking (for guys anyway). I can't see how that'd turn someone off, in and of itself!

I find it ridiculous that someone would note on a profile that "no photos with friends means you have no friends." ABSURD! :)

True, if one Literally thinks that. But one may not have a concrete assessment in their mind -- just that they may be lacking socially, in their back of their mind. Being seen with others can give a sense of trust, in an odd, not-really-thinking-about-it way. And being online the classic "Well, why are they single? What's wrong with them?" -- they want someone who's sociable, friendly, etc. They will have that somewhat answered.

Imagine meeting a guy you never met before in a social environment where he's there with some friends.
Imagine meeting a guy you never met before in a pretty bleak environment, alone.
Now imagine you're someone who is skeptical about guys & trust... or like many, feels more comfortable/happy/compatible with guys who have at least a decent amount of friends.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 324
Posted: 1/27/2014 7:51:51 AM
holy mullet cooldog.. you had some SERIOUS hair back in the day...

(sorry, just had to say that) :)

ok, off the topic of friends in pictures, here are five pet peeves that are more generic..

1. The person who wants you to hold out saturday for them while they pencil you in and will get back to you on friday on whether it will work or not. If a person can't make plans definitively, next :)

2. The ones who write you a one word email, you respond with one word and then they bite your head off for supposedly not trying and blowing them off

3. The ones who email or text you during a workday, and then if you don't respond within fifteen minutes email or text another ten, culminating in a "well i guess you're not interested, have a good frigging life".

4. The ones who had a great date with you, you don't hear from them after, and then you stumble across them and they talked about how much they liked you but "knew" you wouldn't go for them so they didn't bother.

5. The ones who are a long stored volcano of repressed rage at every slight, hurt, perceived blowoff that everyone has ever done, who literally see you as the everywoman of everyone who has ever done them wrong... when half of their experiences (especially financial, the financial screwed divorcee) not only are you not guilty of what was done to htem, you were an equal victim yourself who doesn't punish all guys because of one person's crime. When every act is psychoanalyzed, every word is weighed for insult factor and every interaction is viewed through a lens of distrust, assumed guilt and projected sins.
 OutMind
Msg: 325
Posted: 1/27/2014 12:10:18 PM

Woman on paid site do work and try to find a guy.

Or they are trying to take advantage of that one month free. So they are interested in meeting you. So POF ratio to other site 15:1. That is that for every fifteen contacts in another site, here it only resulted in one. And in a couple of years only two dates. The only good thing is that one of those two, we dated for 8 months.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating