Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 326
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating Page 14 of 18    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18)

Woman on paid site do work and try to find a guy.

LOL, I'm also on a "paid for" dating site, I paid for the privileges. If they/he, are NOT a paying customer, they can't reply/send a message. I don't know who is or is NOT a paying customer. I get a LOT of views and that stupid Wink, Wink, thingy. I'm not impressed.
 OutMind
Msg: 327
Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating
Posted: 1/27/2014 12:32:40 PM

I get a LOT of views and that stupid Wink, Wink, thingy.

Winky guys are guys without balls. So ignore them. LOL.
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 328
Posted: 1/27/2014 1:11:08 PM
^^out of curiosity then, if it is so much better over there, why are you on here exactly?
 traveltrekker
Msg: 329
Posted: 1/27/2014 1:12:49 PM
...'Must like to water ski and play Scrabble.

When you drop the tiles in the water, it's a pain in the rear to pick them up.
 PlentyofThis123
Msg: 330
Posted: 1/27/2014 3:00:45 PM
Pet Peeve of mine, and not necessarily anyone's fault, but a bit disappointing, when you see a profile loaded up with the hobbies, beliefs, and perhaps even the obscure things that only you and her would "get". Basically, when someone obviously has a lot of things in common with you aren't interested in you.

I think this is how men resolve the fact that it's just a numbers game.

I recall someone putting a movie quote in the headliner or something and said, "Bonus points if you can guess the movie that was from!" And I used the answer as part of my introductory email, of course, I don't think she gave me bonus points, she didn't respond. LOL.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 331
Posted: 1/27/2014 9:40:49 PM

But it's pretty standard that if one wishes to maximize their profile on a dating website, to put a picture or two with other people.

CR: Who says? You? How is it "standard" that if one "wishes" to maximize their profile, to put a picture or two with other people? BTW, I don't mean to open your flood gates..... ;) But then you noted:

It solidly helps, statistically speaking (for guys anyway).

So, maybe you could be right? At least speaking for guys? But, I will admit, if a man had several photos of himself and one with another person in it, it's not a deal breaker. However, my motto is - if you post a photo with someone else, make sure you are better looking than the person standing next to you in the photo. ;P And some times, I have seen profiles where there are no individual photos and I cannot tell which man owns the profile? Personally, I prefer to look at the man by himself, as that is who I potentially may want to date, knowing all the other stuff comes later...For example, YOU have photos of YOU.....perfect! That's what I mean, that's what I like (figuratively speaking of course)
:)
==

Now imagine you're someone who is skeptical about guys & trust... or like many, feels more comfortable/happy/compatible with guys who have at least a decent amount of friends.

Hmmmm, with what you noted above, should a guy who posts a lot of photos with friends note on his profile,
"I have a decent amount of friends, pick me!" (kidding)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 332
Posted: 1/27/2014 10:04:11 PM
Not captioning photographs with a date and brief description (especially for group snapshots) is maddening.
I miraculously encountered a group of attractive women all within a sole profile once...

The woman included a half-dozen pictures of a bunch of fit, well-equipped, attractive women at a 10K race.
All of them were stunning. It didn't occur to her to maybe indicate, "I am third from the left in the red top." ;-)
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 333
Posted: 1/27/2014 10:06:57 PM
Eric, excellent point! ^^^ Huge pet peeve if you cannot even figure out who owns the profile because the person did not clearly note who they were in the group photo.....
or is it a game of Who can find Waldo or Walda (feminine version)....?
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 334
Posted: 1/27/2014 11:31:07 PM

CR: Who says? You? How is it "standard" that if one "wishes" to maximize their profile, to put a picture or two with other people? BTW, I don't mean to open your flood gates..... ;) But then you noted:

Actually, before okCoopid was bought by Match, they had a lot of great analysis blogs. That was one of them. :)

But, I will admit, if a man had several photos of himself and one with another person in it, it's not a deal breaker.

I don't think there's a shortage of guys having a good amount of pictures of himself. I think a weird thing would be if ALL his pictures were him among others. But just him alone? That's pretty popular, but a way to boost it is to have pictures associated with other people, and if I remember correctly -- one with scenery too.

However, my motto is - if you post a photo with someone else, make sure you are better looking than the person standing next to you in the photo. ;P

Great tip. Well, I would definitely say not to have pictures next to people out of your league. It will lower your value in-the-moment, to many, if you're in the same age group and all that. Maybe that's why so many people don't have pics with others? All their friends are either imaginary OR much better looking than them? ;)

And some times, I have seen profiles where there are no individual photos and I cannot tell which man owns the profile?

Well, that's easily avoidable though. When you upload a photo you can move the focal point for the thumbnail to cover you. But yes, not everyone does that so well (like covering a foot, or, as you may see, the whole group). But again, that's avoidable using the thumbnail focus correctly.

Personally, I prefer to look at the man by himself, as that is who I potentially may want to date, knowing all the other stuff comes later

Yeah, of course. I think everyone does. But from my browsing experience, most people who have pictures of themselves with others, have at least one of themself, if not >= the # of group/social photos.

I am perplexed why having ANY social pictures would turn you off, in and of itself? I'm assuming you just mean if almost All their pictures are group/social pics.

Hmmmm, with what you noted above, should a guy who posts a lot of photos with friends note on his profile,
"I have a decent amount of friends, pick me!" (kidding)

Yes, as all his pictures with (gasp) other people in them, he should have the captions say "Pick Me! I have friends! This is not a selfie! Even though it looks like it, I did NOT photoshop myself next to all these ugly people who I call my friends! Selfies suck!" Yes, you guessed it! :)
 abmccray
Msg: 335
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:25:17 AM
Statistically, having one or two smiling photographs in a group increases response rates for male profiles (and does nothing for female profiles). As stated, the reasoning is obvious - it works on a subconscious level in making him look like someone people like being around, which makes him more desirable to varying degrees.
 chill78
Msg: 336
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:32:06 AM

personally, I prefer viewing photos of the man alone without others in the photo.

I think the primary photo should be just that person. I don't care if they have other people in their secondary photos.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 337
Posted: 1/28/2014 7:44:29 AM

I am perplexed why having ANY social pictures would turn you off, in and of itself? I'm assuming you just mean if almost All their pictures are group/social pics

Like I noted previously, it's not a deal breaker..... if most are individual and then some are group/social setting. But, it depends on what the social setting is, if you have an attractive solo photo, then a group photo where all the guys have drinks in one hand and flipping off the camera with other hand, then I prefer solo photos. And yes, there are solo photos where guys do that, too. If the group photo is somewhat of a distance and the "guy" has sunglasses, what's the point?....to show me you have friends on a cruise, a concert, an amusement park. I'm an up close and personal kind of woman. :)

It's just a tiny pet peeve......not a deal breaker usually......maybe.....
 Ladyinred4755
Msg: 338
Posted: 1/28/2014 8:16:59 AM
^^^^^^^^LOL A guy yes, a woman no.
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 339
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:42:28 PM

What if it's a solo photo of a guy in just his undies?? Is that still legit?

Only if it's Marky Mark. :)
==
Personally, I don't care to see a man in his undies in profile pics. (A tiny pet peeve) ooooh, that could have a hidden meaning....hmmmm?? But, I guess if there is photo of man in his undies, then it's better than no photo at all..... ;)
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 340
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2014 6:46:45 PM
Well right now I'm staring at a POF woman in a thong...multiple pics I might add.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 341
Posted: 1/28/2014 7:20:35 PM
^^^

TuMuchFun...could you message me her profile name....STAT!
It is needed for, ummm, scientific reasons. No, wait. I mean I need it so it can be reported promptly to POF management. Yeah, that's it. To report it to management. That's the ticket.
 TuMuchFun
Msg: 342
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2014 7:46:28 PM
Well Eric in the name of science I sent you her screen name...
 moonbeamlover
Msg: 343
Posted: 1/28/2014 8:11:58 PM
^^

see? forums everyone isn't just tearing each other's hair out; people look out for each other in kind and considerate ways as well...

what a friendly bunch we all are...
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 344
Posted: 1/28/2014 8:20:12 PM
She blinded me with SCIENCE!
(tip of the hat to Thomas Dolby...)
 drivingharmony2
Msg: 345
Posted: 1/28/2014 8:44:31 PM
A teeny pet peeve:

Reading a guy's profile and he notes he's just a T-shirt/shorts kind of guy who wears flip flops every day. I take specific issue with the flip flops. When I was younger, we called them THONGS! At least I did.....why all of a sudden, it flips to flip flops and thongs now hide in cracks? Explain this to me? ;)
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 346
Posted: 1/28/2014 9:24:32 PM
Pet Peeve and lesson learned years ago:

On the paid sites one can receive a "wink" from someone, whom it shows as "currently" online.
A person can then respond to him or her with a pleasant note and may never receive a subsequent response.

The reason? Many paid dating websites do not DIFFERENTIATE between free members and paying ones.
Only the paying members can communicate. The lesson here is one should ONLY pay attention to his or her inbox.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 347
Posted: 1/29/2014 6:46:41 AM
^^^^

Not only was that an issue, but I didn't see any difference in quality. Same people you see there, you see on POF in most cases.

I thought that if I paid, people who are also paying to communicate were more serious about getting to know someone, etc. It turned out to be the same as any other dating website. The quality of the people or the messages did not increase. I still got people looking to sticking it in at any cost, people trying to form some sort of FB/FWB arrangement prior to meeting, same eagerness in some people to jump into a relationship, same everything.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 348
Posted: 1/29/2014 7:21:31 AM
^^^

BelleTresor...concur with you 100%.
My initial thought was, "Surely if someone is paying, it indicates they are somewhat serious." and that hasn't been noticed in reality. There are just as many *time vampires* on paid dating sites as free sites...so it makes no sense to make the investment. Since many there CAN'T respond due to their non-paying status, it adds insult to injury. ;-)
 cooldog65
Msg: 349
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2014 8:10:43 AM

Well right now I'm staring at a POF woman in a thong...multiple pics I might add.

I hope she's young and hot cause there's nothing worse than whale tail on a whale.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 350
Posted: 1/29/2014 8:23:07 AM
^^^^
You know you like it....lmao
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > Biggest Pet Peeves for online dating