Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 26
view profile
History
how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loudPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I need uninterrupted sleep.
To many years getting 4/5 hours.
Its separate bedrooms rooms or I move out/on.
Separate sleeping arrangements can save a marriage/relationship.
Its more common than you think for many reasons.

A puppy snoring in the corner of the room is cute.
Sawing logs from a grown 200 pound person in the bed with you. Intolerable.
One wants the bedroom 85 degrees, the other 65.
You have the ones that roll back and forth, never settling down.
Cover and bed hogs.
One has to go to bed at 9, the other 12.
You have early risers that want morning time alone.
You have gassy people.

Please. Its not unusual to sleep separately.
 motown_cowgirl
Msg: 27
how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud
Posted: 2/9/2014 4:58:56 AM
gassy people.

Its not unusual to sleep separately

it could potentially solve SO many problems.
when I lived with my last ex, I had to get up in the middle of the night and go sleep somewhere else.
he didn't have any bad habits. I need elbow room, 55 degrees and fresh air.
a cpap machine wouldn't bother me, since I'd be in another room anyway. with the windows open and a ceiling fan on full blast.
 bamagrl68
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/10/2014 12:35:04 PM
sassyscorpiochick-When cpap machines first came out, they were large and noisy.
The newer ones are much smaller and quieter, get a new machine.
If you already have a newer machine and noise is still an issue, try ear plugs.
If all else fails, you may have to sleep separately, that's better than ending the marriage over this.
 newstart1949
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 3:06:07 PM
Wear earplugs, and try an over the counter sleeper.
 MsMicki
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/12/2014 9:24:43 PM

-If your spouse needs to lose weight and get fitter in order not to have this sleep problem, insist he do so.

Not all sleep apnea disorders are caused by excess weight....

My guy and I sleep in separate bedrooms 90% of the time.
I'm a hot blooded mess.....he's cold natured.
Works beautifully for us.
Why go through countless sleepless nights when there is a simple solution of sleeping separately??

and yes OP.....tell your guy to get a newer CPAP....they are amazingly quieter.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/13/2014 5:08:43 AM

Why go through countless sleepless nights when there is a simple solution of sleeping separately??

Who knows. People like to keep things complicated.
 SILLYGIRL111
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:15:58 AM
I know people from being overweight having sleep problems and they have to use a machine to breath at night so they will be able to sleep or the can die from the lungs being compressed when they sleep.
 LoneScottishBoy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:26:01 AM
They also make a moutpiece that pulls the jaw forward a little that works remarkably well according to a friend of mine. Eliminates the need for a machine alltogether...for HIS case
YMMV
 Archiver
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/13/2014 9:10:51 PM
I know people from being overweight having sleep problems and they have to use a machine to breath at night so they will be able to sleep or the can die from the lungs being compressed when they sleep.

Ummm, no. They use a CPAP (not a breathing machine) because the have obstructive sleep apnea. Their lungs are in no danger of being compressed due to overweight. What happens is that tissues in the throat obstruct the flow of air during sleep. They snore and periodically stop breathing. This can happen many times an hour. It results in disturbed and unrestful sleep, strains the heart, and can rob the brain of oxygen. Untreated apnea makes one vulnerable to heart attack and stroke, not to mention fatigue, mental fog, and various other debilitating symptoms. Sometimes an overweight person can improve by losing weight, but that is not a guaranteed result. There are plenty of normal and underweight people with apnea.

People with COPD may need oxygen to assist with breathing, but that is not the same thing as using a CPAP.
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/17/2014 7:55:08 AM

Untreated apnea makes one vulnerable to heart attack and stroke, not to mention fatigue, mental fog, and various other debilitating symptoms.

Being overweight is not the single reason why people develop apnea, but it IS a significant reason why the condition worsens with time. I'm afraid there are lots of parents with overweight kids who have apnea looking for behavioral symptoms (like ADD) or even diet and nutrition instead of poor sleeping habits. I forgot what the recommended juvenile age or weight levels are, but there IS a point when you can get a child tested for sleeping disorders as well, and probably should.
 Archiver
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/17/2014 1:50:26 PM

One of the main indicators of sex appeal is being healthy. idk, I think I'd opt for surgery if I had the need for one of those machines. I dated a guy who told me he had one and I put him in the same bin with the guy on all the blood pressure meds etc... Why not exercise regularly, eat well and take care of yourself in general?

There are very few people who can be cured of apnea by surgery. It is generally not an option. A person can otherwise appear to be fit and healthy and still have sleep apnea. Apnea is a silent killer like high blood pressure. Both are treatable. Snoring is a clue that there may be an apnea problem. Really bad snoring is almost a sure bet. You would be surprised how many people you know already use CPAPs (or ought to be using CPAPs).

Do you rule out people with other medical conditions? As we age, all sorts of conditions develop, so you'll soon be putting just about everyone in the reject bin!
 Sweet_Danimal
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/17/2014 2:30:02 PM

Why not exercise regularly, eat well and take care of yourself in general?

Why not go to a WeightWatchers meeting and tell them that yourself?

That may seem a bit harsh, but my point is that some people have health conditions that are hereditary or genetic, and apnea can develop thru a myriad of reasons, so just living a 'pure' life and staying skinny doesn't mean it won't happen to you or anyone else. Obesity is a big reason why people can't breathe properly, but it's not the only one.

Everyone on my Dad's side of the family - all the Aunts and Uncles - have apnea, no matter if they are skinny, short, fat, male, female, tall, or even diabetic. A lot of it can be hereditary, or based on sleep habits since childhood. My Dad is skinny as a rail, but he's been rattling the rafters ever since I could remember. I've avoided the apnea damage most of my life by being a stomach sleeper, and losing 50 pounds a few years back helped enormously. People develop all kinds of breathing problems with age - some related to asthma or allergies and things beyond one's control - so it's not just about living a pure life and staying skinny (although it definitely helps).
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/17/2014 6:23:53 PM

Tell that to newborn babies and toddlers who require a CPAP.
 KalGrl
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 2/19/2014 4:24:44 PM
What do newborn and toddlers have to do with the discussion unless you are in the habit of dating members oF those two groups LOL
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 40
Posted: 2/19/2014 5:47:36 PM
^^ Read, perchance, the conversation from msg 44, 46 and 47, then you'll get the gist of the topic without commenting.

I wonder if the OP will update us on the CPAP.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2014 6:55:07 AM
Am I the only "dyslexic" that read crap machine at first?

Liked Literates suggestion if you can't afford a new machine and need to stay in the same room.
 OTTO BONN
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/20/2014 8:26:01 AM
Δ Happened to me too at first since cpap isn't a word and my neural matrix tries to identify it as one.

And for dealing with a noisy CPAP, OP try a white noise machine. Set just right, you may be able to mask your perception of the sound of the CPAP machine.

An FM radio set to it's lowest or highest frequency (or even between stations) can also be used to generate white noise if there are no signals (such as interference from a nearby station or other source) being received. A radio with bass and treble controls (or an equalizer) will help tailor the sound to give it a more pleasing pink noise quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_noise_machine

Another source of masking noise you could try is a room air fan. Set the speed for the desired effect.
 Archiver
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/20/2014 5:12:43 PM
CPAP noise (the air sound) is no worse than the white noise you describe and a damn sight better than the sound of snoring. I like quiet while I sleep, so even tho it's my own CPAP, I use foam ear plugs.
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 44
Posted: 2/20/2014 10:40:24 PM

This is incorrect. I use a C-PAP machine because I have a "very crowded throat," according to the respiratory doctor who prescribed it. At 5'5" tall, I weigh 110 lbs. I exercise regularly, eat well and take good care of myself.
 DragonBits
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/21/2014 4:45:20 AM

This is incorrect. I use a C-PAP machine because I have a "very crowded throat," according to the respiratory doctor who prescribed it. At 5'5" tall, I weigh 110 lbs. I exercise regularly, eat well and take good care of myself.

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I am sure I do have sleep apnea, but was thinking if I lost a little weight or maybe slept on my side maybe it will go away.

So maybe it won't.
 Archiver
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/21/2014 9:43:34 AM
Forumfiona, how do you think one gets a CPAP? One goes to several doctors for examination, evaluation, diagnosis, and management plan. That includes one or two nights of sleep study with much of one's body wired to machinery. The doctors evaluate alternatives including weight loss, medication, surgery, oral devices, and CPAP/BiPAP, and determines the best alternative(s) for the individual. I assure you, we did not choose to use the machines for our pleasure or as shortcuts. They are rather difficult to get used to. If it weren't for the coaching of fellow users at CPAPTalk.com, I might have quit even though my doctor basically said "Use it or die".
 rezzer1964
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/25/2014 4:28:56 PM
I use one and it's whisper quiet. Must be an old model. Too bad those machines cost a fortune. Ear plugs are better at least you still get to cuddle:)
 Casper66
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2014 4:33:15 AM
The newer CPAP machines are very quiet, so he may need to upgrade. Could be a mask issue as well, if they leak they can make all kinds of noise or if the person is mouth breathing, there are some very good masks out now too that have filters over the exhalation values that also suppress noise, he should contact his CPAP provider to research some options.
 sN0Flakes
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/5/2014 6:36:47 AM
Sleeping in another room...while an easy solution at home...is going to make for interesting vacations unless you plan to take them separately too. I used to live near railroad tracks as a child and it didn't take long before I didn't hear them. I think one can get used to most sounds if they stop listening for it. I would suggest making it manageable without sleeping separate by getting a quieter machine or masking the noise with other sound. As a last resort...you could always solve the problem by reaching over and removing the plug from the wall. It allegedly solved all of mine with my ex mother-in-law's ventilator. Easy....people....
 MisPlacedYankee63
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2014 10:49:34 AM
How about ear plugs?
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud