Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 LiterateHiker
Msg: 44
how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loudPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Why not exercise regularly, eat well and take care of yourself in general?

This is incorrect. I use a C-PAP machine because I have a "very crowded throat," according to the respiratory doctor who prescribed it. At 5'5" tall, I weigh 110 lbs. I exercise regularly, eat well and take good care of myself.
 DragonBits
Msg: 45
how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud
Posted: 2/21/2014 4:45:20 AM

This is incorrect. I use a C-PAP machine because I have a "very crowded throat," according to the respiratory doctor who prescribed it. At 5'5" tall, I weigh 110 lbs. I exercise regularly, eat well and take good care of myself.

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

I am sure I do have sleep apnea, but was thinking if I lost a little weight or maybe slept on my side maybe it will go away.

So maybe it won't.
 Archiver
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/21/2014 9:43:34 AM
Forumfiona, how do you think one gets a CPAP? One goes to several doctors for examination, evaluation, diagnosis, and management plan. That includes one or two nights of sleep study with much of one's body wired to machinery. The doctors evaluate alternatives including weight loss, medication, surgery, oral devices, and CPAP/BiPAP, and determines the best alternative(s) for the individual. I assure you, we did not choose to use the machines for our pleasure or as shortcuts. They are rather difficult to get used to. If it weren't for the coaching of fellow users at CPAPTalk.com, I might have quit even though my doctor basically said "Use it or die".
 rezzer1964
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/25/2014 4:28:56 PM
I use one and it's whisper quiet. Must be an old model. Too bad those machines cost a fortune. Ear plugs are better at least you still get to cuddle:)
 Casper66
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2014 4:33:15 AM
The newer CPAP machines are very quiet, so he may need to upgrade. Could be a mask issue as well, if they leak they can make all kinds of noise or if the person is mouth breathing, there are some very good masks out now too that have filters over the exhalation values that also suppress noise, he should contact his CPAP provider to research some options.
 sN0Flakes
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/5/2014 6:36:47 AM
Sleeping in another room...while an easy solution at home...is going to make for interesting vacations unless you plan to take them separately too. I used to live near railroad tracks as a child and it didn't take long before I didn't hear them. I think one can get used to most sounds if they stop listening for it. I would suggest making it manageable without sleeping separate by getting a quieter machine or masking the noise with other sound. As a last resort...you could always solve the problem by reaching over and removing the plug from the wall. It allegedly solved all of mine with my ex mother-in-law's ventilator. Easy....people....
 MisPlacedYankee63
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2014 10:49:34 AM
How about ear plugs?
 papp1812
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/17/2014 4:04:18 AM
I don't snore, and if I did, it wouldn't be a problem, because I sleep alone. Completely alone. Too much alone. But some nights my neighbours are banging on my front door, in the middle of the night and demand of me to turn down my electric buzz-saw, or else. why can't I cut my timber during the day like everyone else.

I say I have no buzz-saw, no timber to cut. They demand a house search. We walk through the house, until they see I ain't lying.

We agree that they may have had a flashback from a Texas Chainsaw episode from their teens, or a nightmare due to the PTDS resulting from the same only forgot about it.

Sometimes we explain the unidentified noise as gods own will.
 Archiver
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/18/2014 6:50:56 PM
Papp, I'll bet you have silent and scentless farts, too.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/21/2014 1:06:57 AM
I wish ear plugs worked. That would be a simple solution. Sometimes, it makes no noise at all. Sometimes, it's like there is a hurricane next to my head. It's a big problem since he gets so upset if I get out of bed. Sometimes, I just have to though.
 tribalfusion1953
Msg: 54
view profile
History
Posted: 3/27/2014 1:18:44 PM
Ear Plugs just seem to be a logical solution. It's your partner's life that is the issue - There's always a way.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 55
Posted: 4/1/2014 12:13:24 AM
When that thing is whistling as loud as it does, ear plugs do nothing.

However, I am very excited that someone who had weight loss surgery who no longer has sleep apnea, has offered her machine to us. Her's is almost brand new so I know it's a much more updated model. He will still have to get a new mask for it, but I have high hopes this is going to be a solution for us.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/1/2014 9:11:55 AM

It's a big problem since he gets so upset if I get out of bed.

Does he care if you get sleep? Why does this upset him so much? Once everyone is ready to get shuteye, why does it matter if you're in the same bed?
 moraima
Msg: 57
view profile
History
Posted: 4/1/2014 9:45:55 AM
"It's a big problem since he gets so upset if I get out of bed.

Does he care if you get sleep? Why does this upset him so much?"

Selfish much?

Imo, no separate bedrooms in that situation relationship finished. I have the same right as the other person to live/sleep healthy. If the person doesn't care about my health why would I be with him?

Please people, earplugs don't work. Please stop trying to suggest a solution that doesn't work.
 Archiver
Msg: 58
Posted: 4/1/2014 7:02:19 PM

However, I am very excited that someone who had weight loss surgery who no longer has sleep apnea, has offered her machine to us. Her's is almost brand new so I know it's a much more updated model. He will still have to get a new mask for it, but I have high hopes this is going to be a solution for us.

Do you know how to set the CPAP to your correct pressure? (I assume that you do know your correct pressure.) If you don't know how, go to cpaptalk.com. They have complete manuals for virtually every CPAP made. Those manuals include directions on how to set the pressure, usually omitted from the "user manual" provided when you buy the machine.
 sassyscorpiochick
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/5/2014 12:19:25 AM
Thank you! We will definitely go to that website.

We went to the medical supply place and talked to them and they acted like he was crazy. The new CPap machine came that someone gave to us. It looks brand new. Apparently, a new mask for it is a prescription item. We live in Oregon and his insurance is from CA. It's so much more expensive when it's out of network. The oxygen place told him he will have to get a new sleep study done. Luckily, we are going to California in a couple of weeks. Right now he is sleeping with a mask on that is too small for him, so he could use the new quiet machine.

We don't live together but we trade houses. This is a fairly new relationship. Last night, I was able to go to sleep in my spare room. He doesn't have a spare room at his house.

I hate insomnia! GRRRR I will definitely update . Right now this is a huge problem!
 Archiver
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/5/2014 6:31:16 PM
Yes, a mask is a prescription item, but even his primary care physician will write a prescription. You can order masks online, but those companies do not file insurance. You'll have to pay for it and then seek reimbursement. Most insurance companies and Medicare will cover two new masks a year. I have ordered from cpap.com and am pleased with their service and prices.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > how do you sleep when your partner's cpap machine is so loud