Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Measure Inflammation in your body?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Measure Inflammation in your body?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
Drs and nutritionist cant seem to agree what a lot of things are.

The only way to measure inflammation is with an inflammatory marker, and the only one used as a verified cardiovascular marker is the hs-CRP. And that must be done whilst there is no obvious cause for an inflammatory response (eg a viral infection).

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Get the blood test.

Canola as a healthy oil is just marketing imo.Its GMO
Read this
http://www.draxe.com/canola-oil-gm/

Remember margarine touted as better than butter? Veg source.

You can find anything on the web that states almost anything.
People disagree. I know what changes I made and all my blood results for years.
It was time consuming. Take advantage of some of my time and money if you like.

As of last blood work Jan 2014 (using a shot glass of coconut oil , EVOO min every day) , lots of organic whole eggs and organic chicken 2-3 times a week, lots of nuts ( esp walnuts) avocados/veggies, high water/fiber fruits and low red meat consumption.

My HDL is 102, My CRP is now .03 and trig 45 and I even have a weekend burger/ key lime pie/Fritoes.
Week days I am very strict.

The Canola oil is heated to over 300 degrees as part of a process to remove its extremely unpleasant odor. Processing vegetable oils may include many things like bleaching, deodorization, chemical extraction methods using solvents, and high temperature expeller pressing.

Canola oil is monounsaturated, which makes it easy to promote it as similar to olive oil but cheaper. But real olive oil is not processed and doesn't contain TOXIC TRANS FATTY ACIDS or GMOs. Canola is among the lowest of all oils with essential fatty acids.

The BEST thing to do. Get blood work now as said, know your CRP
Whats your HDL and ratio of HDL/LDL
Review it. It not happy, make changes.
Note what you are changing, return for more blood work in 2/3 months.
See whats changing/not changing for the better (for you).
Get off bread, grains and sugar( except for on occasion).

Eat avocados, eat walnuts,chia seeds,spinach,cauliflower, hummus, use the oils I suggested .............get cold pressed oils.
Take krill or a good respected brand of wild salmon oil as a supplement.I like N-rdic naturals, most wild salmon oil is good if you dont have diabetes. They make vegetarian DHA oils also.

I fry eggs in coconut oil and add to coffee or add evoo to soft boiled ones. Eggs have to be organic, dont read into hype it has added omega 3's. They dont need to add them.

I have fried/cooked in peanut oil, but since I eat peanut butter, I don't buy it anymore.

You cant take every thing touted as good for you as gospel or good for YOU.
You have to try things and get blood work to know whats working and not working.

Vegetables that are "usually" not root veggies/night shades are anti inflammatory.
Fruits.
Ginger Ginger Ginger
Tumeric ( unless you have gallbladder issues)
Green foods and esp seaweeds ( you can buy flakes and add to almost anything)
Go organic when you can
Fatty fish is great.( not farmed) Have some sardines
Herbs and spices
Omega 3's
Fiber

No grains or products made from them as a general rule.
No sugar.
No fruit juice unless highly diluted. I suggest cherry

Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Measure Inflammation in your body?
Posted: 2/14/2014 3:47:18 AM
^^^^^^^^^
That's your opinion
I don't want it and said it was my "opinion" thats it's not the healthy oil it claims to be.

He is using it and seems concerned with inflammation.
It wont kill him to not use it, try something else and see if that helps his concerns.
 DragonBits
Msg: 27
Posted: 2/14/2014 6:01:22 AM

He is using it and seems concerned with inflammation.
It wont kill him to not use it, try something else and see if that helps his concerns.

I have never used canola oil, I normally use corn oil and sometimes olive oil for salads.

I was interested in inflammation but have never tested hs-crp, only had crp tested when I had a viral infection. Don't often test CRP, probable only 3 times in my life. But since I do believe it is related to disease, I was going to add this to what I typically monitor.

My concern was lowering my BP and losing weight. Inflammation maybe related, and I was going to get hs-CRP tested next time I schedule a blood test. I wanted to know if there were any other markers for inflammation that would be useful to be tested?

On 1/10/14 my resting BP was 150/90, which surprised me, I am equally surprised that now it's 120/80. I changed my diet quite a bit and increased my exercising, but am surprised at this rapid a change. My weight has only come down about 3 lbs in the month. Mostly the last week.

I think maybe my BP came down partially because I reduced the amount and timing of caffeine. I usually had a cup of coffee before eating breakfast, now only after, and I have limited it to 2 cups in the morning, going to 1 cup. Before I probably had 4 cups and a couple of diet cokes. A lot of caffeine.

I want to lose 16-30 lbs, my BP should be quite low at that point.

It's impossible to know the effects of changing one thing like switching to a different type of oil, it takes a while to see any changes and we typically make a lot of changes all at the same period of time. So which change/changes resulted in better health isn't possible to know in what we do ourselves.

Even something like the Mediterranean diet is impossible analyze since it involves a whole different lifestyle, different genetic profile, IE Greece/Italy, and many different food choices all combined.

Only randomized, double-blind, controlled studies can really isolate what effect various diet changes / nutrients has on health, and these might vary depending on individual genetics. No doubt why there is a lot of confusing conflicting information even in study results.
 DragonBits
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/14/2014 7:14:50 AM

My HDL is 102, My CRP is now .03 and trig 45 and I even have a weekend burger/ key lime pie/Fritoes.
Week days I am very strict.

Those are very good numbers, what is your BP?

I am sure you know it, but HDL and LDL group together a lot of compounds.

HDL with apolipoprotein C-III (apoC-III) INCREASES risk of heart disease, while HDL without the (apoC-III) protein attached is protective.

HDL-ApoCIII to VLDL-ApoCIII ratio is considered most important, but who measures these sorts of things outside of research scientists. Most don't even know about VLDL.

My guess is the reason using drugs to raise HDL has shown NOT to help with heart disease is become of the complex nature of HDL and all the other lipids. Perhaps it raised the wrong kind of HDL, or maybe some other factor is at work and HDL is only a marker for it. Meaning salmon tends to raise HDL, but maybe it isn't the HDL but something that goes along with this that is heart vascular protective. But most likely the experimental drugs that increased HDL increase the wrong kind of HDL.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2014 2:20:20 PM

It's impossible to know the effects of changing one thing like switching to a different type of oil, it takes a while to see any changes and we typically make a lot of changes all at the same period of time. So which change/changes resulted in better health isn't possible to know in what we do ourselves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You are wrong.
It takes very little time and is quite simple to see what works for you.

3 months is a good indicator and usually the time frame when the Dr tells you to return to be checked whether its a diet /lifestyle change or a drug you are trying out.

what is your BP?

Today? Who knows?
My blood pressure was 74 /52 that day.
If I am relaxed its lower. I'm never relaxed getting blood work or waiting in a Dr.s lounge.

If you tend to have high BP, check it every week. Go to Wally- greens if you have to and ask them to check it.
The body is always changing depending on many factors.I wont say its as accurate but you need to check it often.
Most people have in home blood pressure cuffs these days that tend to have high blood pressure.
Its THAT important and could indicate a blockage esp if you are overweight and eat a lot of carbs/sugar.

A good thing to check with your CRP would be a complete CBC panel and a metabolic panel should be done and also have your urine checked.
If your white blood cells are high, you may have an infection somewhere, it will cover liver enzymes, kidney function, basophiles and all that jazz.

You have to request the CRP be checked, it isn't in a routine screening.

You need to know what all of your numbers are and what everything means.
At your/our age you should have a complete blood work panel done at least once a year.
 DragonBits
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/14/2014 2:38:49 PM
DragonBits

My guess is the reason using drugs to raise HDL has shown NOT to help with heart disease is become of the complex nature of HDL and all the other lipids.

Skyr

That's a pretty sweeping statement and complete utter nonsense. Statins vastly improve outcomes in those with previous heart attacks. Statins as primary prevention also improves mortality/morbidity in high-moderate risk groups.

Why are you talking about statins???? They are NOT designed to raise HDL.

The primary goal of statins are to lower cholesterol. NOT to raise HLD, statins are not very effective at raising HDL and they are not used for that.

I was referring to all the drug failures like Roche's Dalcetrapib, designed to raise HDL. A similar failure from Pfizer, which scrapped its $800 million development of an HDL raising drug called torcetrapib. Torcetrapib was shown to cause heart-related deaths in a large study. Abbott Laboratories had a niacin based drug called Niaspan in a large study failed to prevent heart attacks and strokes when added to statin treatment, even though the compound raised HDL.

Then there are those people that have a genetic varations that cause them to have higher HDL where this was shown to have no positive effect on coronary artery diseases.

National Institutes of Health quote:

In view of the heterogeneity in HDL particle size, charge, and composition, the mere concentration of HDL-C may not be a good surrogate marker for HDL functionality.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23658137

Basically the same thing I said that you thought was “utter nonsense”.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2014 3:35:04 AM
Raising HDL is one of the easiest things you can do sans drugs.
So is lowering TRIG
I went from 39 to 102 HDL with (food and fats only).It took longer than 3 months to get that high but showed a rapid steady increase, so I knew I was on the right track. Adding soft yolk eggs over fully cooked yolks helped also.
Don't over cook them and destroy the omega 3's.Fried in coconut oil is really tasty too.

As skyr said much earlier you could also check SED rate ( preferably at the same time as CRP) if you are looking for inflammation markers, a ferrin test will also give some indication, but it's mainly used to check for low/to much iron.
Sed rate can be used to check inflammatory diseases or even cancer.
It's best to do both.

Note
Both ESR and CRP can be useful measures of active inflammation, but in many ways, CRP is a more useful test. CRP is made exclusively in the liver and can rise and fall within hours of an acute inflammatory stimulus. In contrast, ESR ( SED rate) is more reflective of the concentration of fibrinogen and various noninflammatory immunoglobulins that have half-lives of days to weeks, resulting in a significant lag time in the rise and fall of the ESR. This difference in specificity and rapidity of response often accounts for an apparent discrepancy between the ESR and CRP.

There are conditions in which the ESR remains the more useful test. For example, ESR can be elevated in various paraproteinemias, which often don't provoke an acute inflammatory response, and in systemic lupus erythematosus and progressive systemic sclerosis. In both conditions, there is typically only a trivial increase in CRP, but the ESR may be very high. The reason for this discrepancy is unclear, but it indicates the two tests are complementary and should be used selectively based on the clinical scenario. — Daniel G. Tobin, MD (158-5)

A woman's SED rate is going to be higher than a mans in general ( at least the "normal range ") is broader.
I have a 7.0 and "normal" is up to 20.0 for women.

It doesnt mean I wont die tomorrow, but It likely wont be from sticky blood or a blocked artery.

Visit your GP, and get tested, thats what high ins premiums are paid for.If you have to make payments it's still worth it.
 DragonBits
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/15/2014 5:33:29 AM

A woman's SED rate is going to be higher than a mans in general ( at least the "normal range ") is broader.
I have a 7.0 and "normal" is up to 20.0 for women.

It doesnt mean I wont die tomorrow, but It likely wont be from sticky blood or a blocked artery.

Visit your GP, and get tested, thats what high ins premiums are paid for.If you have to make payments it's still worth it.

There is no particular reason to visit a GP for a ESR (sed) test, you can order one yourself from a lab, it cost $47.

A test I was going is take next time is this one, a more useful breakdown of lipids and at some point is will likely become a standard.

The VAP™ Lipid Profile:

Total cholesterol
LDL-C
HDL-C
VLDL-C
Lp(a)
Triglycerides
Qualitative assessment of LDL particle size
HDL subfractions (HDL2-C and HDL3-C)
VLDL subfractions (VLDL 1+2-C, VLDL3-C, and IDL-C)

There is also a LpPLA2 test. Not sure how much it costs.

It is a specific marker for vascular inflammation and is produced in unstable atherosclerotic plaque.

Raising HDL is one of the easiest things you can do sans drugs.
So is lowering TRIG
I went from 39 to 102 HDL with (food and fats only).It took longer than 3 months to get that high but showed a rapid steady increase, so I knew I was on the right track.

The interesting thing was raising HDL via drugs didn't provide any cardio benefit, and even seemed to increase risk of stroke. The other interesting thing is that people who genetically have higher HDL levels seem to have the same heart disease risk, it didn't make a difference.

The study’s authors emphasize that they are not questioning the well-documented finding that higher HDL levels are associated with lower heart disease risk.

Here is an interesting article on the subject of why rasing HDL may not work to reduce heart disease risk. HDL levels maybe more of a sign of a problem rather than help in preventing any problems.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/17/health/research/hdl-good-cholesterol-found-not-to-cut-heart-risk.html?_r=0

In the past at a test in 2011 I did raise my HDL levels to 54 and lower my TRG was 78 and BP was 110/60, as you said it wasn't that difficult. It appears my BP goes up or down very easily if I gain or lose weight. I just sort of fell off the wagon, now I am getting back on track.

Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2014 10:58:18 AM

The interesting thing was raising HDL via drugs didn't provide any cardio benefit, and even seemed to increase risk of stroke.

Via drugs, I thought the topic was healthy oils and fats.
Respectfully, just what are we discussing now? Healthy oils, inflammation, drugs, genetics, diet,

You asked about oils and measuring inflammation.
You got answers.

The NSI, NINDS, HARVARD, OXFORD and more all agree a high HDL may prevent strokes, heart disease and inflammation esp when no blockage is present.
Hard to get anything past a block of plaque clogging an artery.

It's impossible to know the effects of changing one thing like switching to a different type of oil, it takes a while to see any changes and we typically make a lot of changes all at the same period of time. So which change/changes resulted in better health isn't possible to know in what we do ourselves

You argued^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I disagreed

I did raise my HDL levels to 54 and lower my TRG was 78 and BP was 110/60, as you said it wasn't that difficult.

Now you say^^^^^^^^^^^^

Color me confused and done.
 satx78218
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 2/17/2014 9:47:51 AM
coconut and palm oil (sorry orangutans! :( ) have high enough smoke points for cooking.

olive oil is fine for low/medium cooking
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/4/2014 3:55:55 PM
Get your cortisol levels checked, you will need more than one sample because cortisol goes up and down depending time of day. If the cortisol is chronic you will have inflammation. Reducing stress and eating cortisol lowering foods (vegetables and fruits) will help.

How stress influences disease: Study reveals inflammation as the culprit

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/04/120402162546.htm

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/cortisol-time.png
 dragonbytes
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 3/24/2018 11:02:51 AM
I think life extension has a pretty complete blood test for lipids (NMR) and inflammation. It costs $262.50.

DESCRIPTION

NMR LipoProfile® PLUS
Item Catalog Number: LC100049
This panel contains the following tests:

NMR LipoProfile®
Directly measures: LDL-P, LDL-C, HDL-C, HDL-P, total cholesterol and triglycerides.
Provides your ULTRA important LDL particle size and particle count.
An LP-IR score.
A helpful particle concentration and size chart which reveals CHD risk.

C-Reactive Protein (high sensitivity)
The CRP blood test measures your level of systemic inflammation and is used to evaluate your risk of developing coronary artery disease.

Myeloperoxidase (MPO)
MPO is a vascular specific marker that measures your body's response to damage in your artery walls and the subsequent formation of vulnerable plaque which is prone to rupture.

Homocysteine
Elevated blood levels of homocysteine may directly damage the delicate endothelial cells that line the inside of arteries and result in vascular inflammation, blood clot formation, heart attack, and stroke.

Fibrinogen
Fibrinogen plays a role in the development of atherosclerotic plaque. It can also cause acute blood clot formation that may block a coronary artery (causing a heart attack) or a cerebral artery (causing an ischemic stroke).

Vitamin D 25-hydroxy

A growing number of studies point to vitamin D deficiency as a risk factor for heart attacks, congestive heart failure, peripheral arterial disease (PAD), and strokes.

http://www.lifeextension.com/Vitamins-Supplements/itemLC100049/NMR-LipoProfile-PLUS
 __TEXASCHICK__
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2018 6:16:55 PM
I have heard that Turmeric is said to help.
I have just started taking it. I have tried to manage using Aleve, after my PCP took me off Tramidol last November.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2018 7:13:12 PM
Turmeric is very popular right now. Did you hear about making golden paste with it, for increasing it's effectiveness?

https://deeprootsathome.com/how-to-make-use-turmeric-golden-paste/
 dragonbytes
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2018 7:28:59 AM
^^^ I tend to read NIH about drugs supplements, etc.

NIH

These benefits are best achieved when curcumin is combined with agents such as piperine, which increase its bioavailability significantly.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5664031/

piperine is what is in black pepper, so the Gov agrees with you. (Hope that doesn't disturb you. )
 NewYorker58
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2018 11:06:25 AM
That's what's in golden paste, black pepper.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 8/21/2018 8:03:09 PM
^^^ Thanks for posting about this, I am thinking of making golden paste.

The only thing holding me back, I already take too many supplements. :) Though this sort of like a food, more like a condiment.
 dolatar
Msg: 42
Posted: 8/26/2018 5:03:08 AM
Peppermint, for some reason you have always been anti grain. I don't get it. Less whole grains means more fat. You need a balance. And remember, We don't really know if an anti inflammatory diet will reduce the chances of cancer. Me, I try to follow the Mediterranean diet as much as possible, but I'm never giving up grains or carbs. I like bread way too much. And still healthy in my 60s.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2018 8:22:11 AM
Dragon, some ways to consume it:

TASTY WAYS TO USE GOLDEN PASTE
Once you prepare a jar of golden paste, you can begin to take 2-3 ¼ tsp. doses throughout the day to reduce inflammation and promote healing. If you’re struggling to mask the intense flavor of the paste, try some of these taste-taming ideas:

Stir ¼ tsp of paste into 2 tbsp. peanut butter, and spread it on toast or crackers.
Stir ¼ tsp of paste into a small dish of plain or vanilla yogurt (add an optional drizzle of honey).
Stir ½ tsp. of paste into a cup of brown rice during cooking.
Blend it into a smoothie. Or a soup. Or a salad dressing. The flavors of golden paste are such that a small quantity mixed into complementary foods will leave the flavor unaltered while significantly boosting the food’s health profile
Drink golden milk, which is a chai-like drink combining warming spices, golden paste, and the warm milk of your choice. Another option is stirring the golden paste into hot water with lemon and honey to make a soothing turmeric tea.

For you hardcore turmeric-lovers out there, you could take a few small spoonfuls straight throughout the day. If you’re a little less hardcore, mixing the paste with some raw honey (try manuka honey for an extra health boost) can make your daily spoonful a bit more palatable.
 SiennaBear2
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 8/27/2018 10:18:23 AM
Foods have enough natural fat why consume extra. Unless it is less than a teaspoon for cooking or on toast I don't think it's a good idea.
Coconut oil is pure saturated fat basically and is very unhealthy.
Olive oil is healthier but again, unnecessary to gorge on it.
Honey is just sugar.
Yoghurt is nasty sh*t, it's sugary crap. Unless you are having unsweetened yoghurt I guess.
Juice also crap.
If you want fat eat fish, sushi etc.
Omega 3 is the anti-inflammatory fat.
Can get them from fish or fish tablet concentrates
This is good.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4579563/
 tatatatatlol
Msg: 45
Posted: 8/28/2018 3:12:14 PM
For what it is worth, some recent clinical studies seem to indicate fish pills have no health benefits. You need to actually eat the fish...but that is true almost always...eat the fruit...not the fruit pill.
 NewYorker58
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 8/29/2018 2:44:31 PM
What you get from an oil isn't always the same as what you get from muscle meat. While sardines have taurine, sardine oil does not.
 mgotd
Msg: 47
Posted: 8/29/2018 3:36:40 PM
^^^ well I think that most people are better off eating the actual food and not the pill form...whatever is being left behind is probably the good stuff.
 zsuzsa62
Msg: 48
Posted: 8/29/2018 8:53:34 PM
^^^^^yes!

My two cents...(reading this stuff makes my head spin. )

Don't measure anything. Eat a variety of real , as unprocessed food as you can, when hungry. The best you can afford and if you have some space, grow what you can. Drink water when thirsty. Throw in some ice cream or a glass of wine or wherever turns your crank, once in a while. Be active every day.
I've never taken a supplement in my life. Weigh the same as I did in my teens, other than pregnancy. Have no idea of what my " numbers or levels " are...every 4 years or so my doctor says my blood work is great. I next to never get sick.
So much easier.
 dragonbytes
Msg: 49
view profile
History
Posted: 11/12/2018 9:34:19 AM
newyorker

Turmeric is very popular right now. Did you hear about making golden paste with it, for increasing it's effectiveness?

https://deeprootsathome.com/how-to-make-use-turmeric-golden-paste/

I made up that recipe, but I used 2.5 teaspoons black pepper instead of 1 teaspoon as i read that is more effective. I think if I create half teaspoon balls and freeze them, it's easy enough to swallow them whole. Even out of the fridge they are pretty solid.

I don't mind the taste, but it does linger for a while.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > Measure Inflammation in your body?